Do liberals believe in God, country, and the constitution?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (31 posts)
  1. jamesrk profile image52
    jamesrkposted 10 years ago

Do liberals believe in God, country, and the constitution?

Voice your opinion. It's time to have an open debate amongst Americans.

2. Georgie Lowery profile image91
    Georgie Loweryposted 10 years ago

I don't know if all liberals believe in a god or gods, but I certainly do know that most of my friends who are liberal do, as do most of the conservates and the moderates whom I call friends. In all honesty, I don't believe that the majority of the American population has any idea what is really in the constitution because most can't be bothered reading and understand it.

Truthfully, your question doesn't seem geared towards any kind of debate, it looks like it's inviting those angry people to come along and say nasty things about each other. You, know, those folks (conservative and liberal) who can't admit they're wrong and don't know when to quit.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image68
    LandmarkWealthposted 10 years ago

I don't think it's fair to assume that because someone is a liberal that they are inherently atheist or agnostic.  I know some staunch conservatives that are atheist.  They are socially and fiscally conservative, but don't let faith guide their morality. 

I do think a number of liberals have some fundamental issues with our constitution and some of the founding principals this country was based on.  Most liberals I know are not quite the communist some people assume.  But they seem to be more of the European style social democracy persuasion.  The European from of governance is quite different than the principals of individual liberty rooted in the US constitution. In Europe, rights lie in the collective.  Whereas in the US, rights lie in the individual.  Or at least they did and are supposed to.  The principals of limiting the role of Gov't in our lives, both socially and economically just don't seem to fit their ideals. 

In terms of our actual constitution...Our founding document, the Deceleration of Independence laid out the principals the Constitution was based on.  And to my knowledge, this is the only founding document in the world that states that your rights are God given, and therefore cannot be given or taken from you by gov't.  In that respect, you can say that any atheist whether liberal or conservative might have some issues with our founding principals.

1. d.william profile image73
      d.williamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

UR answer is mostly correct ex 4 last paragrph. In this sense God simply means inalienable.  & yet we still deny = rights 2 gay people. Denial is a religious choice only

2. LandmarkWealth profile image68
      LandmarkWealthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I disagree with anyone being denied anything.  As marriage is a religious institution. If it doesn't take place through a religious faith it is a simply a civil union regardless of sexuality, gay or straight.  And nobody is denying civil unions.

3. Georgie Lowery profile image91
      Georgie Loweryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I got married by a justice of the peace with all mention of God or religion removed. Does this mean that I'm not married, Landmark? If marriage were only a religious institution, then why all the divorce lawyers & prenups?

4. LandmarkWealth profile image68

Because the gov't opted to inject itself into the world of marriage for reason related to our tax code. In reality this is a relatively new occurrence in human history. In the eyes of the clergy and faith, you're not married.  In the govts eyes..yes

5. Georgie Lowery profile image91

I'm sorry, but that's simply ridiculous.

6. LandmarkWealth profile image68

Marriage is one of 7 religious sacraments to Christians.  You are not married in the eyes of virtually any faith whether you agree with them or not.  You have a legal contract of social union recognized only by the Gov't.  AKA...Civil Union.

7. Georgie Lowery profile image91

So Muslims, Jews and Hindus can't get married? Your opinion sounds a trifle elitist. I'm sure all of the Christians married by elected officials would like to know they aren't legally married in the eyes of their churches.

8. LandmarkWealth profile image68

That's not what I said.Jews Hindus and Muslim consider marriage a faith based endeavor.If it were preformed by an elected official of the Gov't rather than clergy, none of them would consider it a marriage,otherwise they aren't observing their faith.

9. d.william profile image73

Christians claim marriage as their invention. in reality it is nothing more than a binding contract between 2 people that makes responsibility = if kids & property R involved. Just another way for religon to make $$ off people 4 nothing.

10. LandmarkWealth profile image68

Actually Christianity makes no such claim...But the Gov't began to involve itself in the marriage business to finance a punitive tax and legal code that binds liability. Try entering a nursing home when your spouse has a pension...Lawyer fee's galore

11. d.william profile image73

ALL religions claim they have the only right to marry people in the name of God. Under this premise common law marriages are just as valid.

12. LandmarkWealth profile image68

No they, the claim that marriage is a union embraced between two people and God.  Without the acceptance of God there is no marriage.  But legally speaking, there is no difference between a civil union & a civil ceremony, which is my point

13. d.william profile image73

& MY point is: the commitment of love between 2 people is no greater,or less,than those of another so 2 lessen that commitment because it is disliked by others is certainly not equality at its basest. NO 1 has the right 2 judge the luv of others

14. LandmarkWealth profile image68

But they are granted the same legal rights under civil unions and not discriminated against.  Hence the term marriage is simply semantics.  If they have a problem with someone's faith based views...then don't attend their house of worship.

15. d.william profile image73

U don't seem 2 comprehend the stigma attached 2 being branded as abnormal. Setting others apart keeps discrimination alive & validates the ignorance of religious beliefs.

16. LandmarkWealth profile image68

You're assuming religious beliefs are ignorant. Yet, you just discriminated against people of faith in that statement. And while I don't personally dislike homosexuals, I see nothing normal about a behavior that defies biology among 3% of population.

17. d.william profile image73

i only rail against false beliefs that harm others. Being a small minority that U dislike does not give any 1 the right 2 make undue demands on them, or subject them 2 ur personal belief systems. Rel.beliefs hold no validity 4 any 1 but believers

18. LandmarkWealth profile image68

They hold no validity to non-believers. That doesn't make them ignorant or ignorant people. Geneticist Dr Francis Collins headed the mapping of the human genome and is a devout evangelical Christian.Hardly an ignorant man.And nobody is making demands

19. d.william profile image73

ignorance is believing things that R not factual,or logical. Religious leaders R not exempt from ignorance. esp.the radical evangelicals. 10 college degrees cannot take away 1's ignorance. denying =ity IS making demeaning demands in a loud way.

20. LandmarkWealth profile image68

So then those who believe in the theory of evolution are ignorant because it is an unproven theory that is still missing the "missing link". Read Biochemist Dr Michael Behe book on irreducible complexity.There is a lot of scientific theory in faith.

21. d.william profile image73

U R incorrigible.  U expound on comments irrationally & illogically. no need 2 read 2 understand ignorance is non discriminate. U can't paraphrase someone's comments 2 suit ur own. believing falsities is also non discriminate. denying equality is

22. LandmarkWealth profile image68

Nobody is proposing inequality...you argument is based in semantics not actual rights.  And the evolutionary theory is not a fact, but a theory.  By your definition that makes a believer ignorant.  Ad hominem attacks don't articulate ones point well.

23. d.william profile image73

that was no attack. an observation. evolution is as valid & more logical & realistic as the alternative. we must not write laws based on religious beliefs. that is absurd. making marriage different 4 different "classes" is certainly discrimin

24. LandmarkWealth profile image68

Please cite specifically how they are treated differently from a tax or legal perspective which denies a specific right.  And I hate to break the news to you,  a large % of the scientific field are people of faith. Read the Rice Unv study pub 2010.

25. d.william profile image73

if you do not know the answer to your own question you are totally out of touch with anything outside of fox news. Too much detail to cite in this limited space.

26. LandmarkWealth profile image68

There is no difference in a legal sense. Yet the tax code can treat people diff based on income. Affirmative action treats people diff based on race, and the legal system allows for protected class status, all forms of class differentiation.

4. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

I used to consider myself a Democrat and liberal, half a lifetime ago. Then, as now, I believe in God, country and Constitution.

But I'm older and perhaps wiser. I don't buy into labels anymore.

And when I saw at both the Demopublican and Republicrat presidential conventions last year that both were ignoring votes in order to follow a prescribed script, it broke my heart. America is broken. The psychotic elite have taken over. The machine of greed is giving us criminal bailouts to the tune of nearly a Trillion Dollars. And the very private Fed is cranking out dollars as fast as Congress can spend them, further eroding the prosperity of the middle class, and feeding it to the psychotic elite who have no stake in America.

With the national debt a massive $5 Trillion under Bush, doubling during his 8-year term, and nearly doubling again during Obama's first 4 years, we're heading toward an insane debt bubble. And Congress is as oblivious as a bunch of drunken pirates with a stolen credit card (ours!).

Labels divide us.

I'm an American. I'm conservative on most issues, but liberal on others. And on some issues I don't go either way, but choose an completely different road, because it makes the most sense to me.

There are those who are driving America into the ground, not out of incompetence or stupidity, but by calculated, merciless greed. When America is out of the way, there will be no one entity big enough to stop the psychotic elite from establishing their one-world government. Heaven help us all.

5. wba108@yahoo.com profile image78
    wba108@yahoo.composted 6 years ago

On a whole, I don't think that liberals really understand what the country was founded on. They've made up a mythology in this regard and have distorted the words and actions of the founders to fit their own agenda.

Now having said that, it is true that their have been and are liberals that deeply love America and would die for it, even if their understanding of the country is distorted, which I believe it is.

Now I wonder if the real question you have is if liberals believe in God, country and The Constitution less than conservatives. And I would say on a whole, yes to that. 

This may sound harsh but I believe most self identified liberals are actually leftists who stand opposed to everything America was really founded on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)