jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Should The Confederate Flag Be Allowed To Fly Over Federal or Government Buildin

1. vveasey profile image84
    vveaseyposted 2 years ago

Should The Confederate Flag Be Allowed To Fly Over Federal or Government Buildings?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

No. Racist associations aside, we don't generally fly the flags of our enemies. The confederacy fought against the U.S.; tried to tear it apart. If an individual wants to make a statement with that, fine, but not a government facility.

1. ChristinS profile image95
      ChristinSposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I second this statement - right on.

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer!
      No other nation flies their enemy's flag. In fact when wars are fought it's the winning side that raises their flag. Museums are perfect for displaying historic accounts.

3. MsCoCoaBrwn profile image58
      MsCoCoaBrwnposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that the United States viewed the South as an "enemy"...probably more like family and sometimes families have disagreements.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image61
    Ralph Deedsposted 2 years ago

Absolutely not. It's the American equivalent of a Swastika.

4. MsCoCoaBrwn profile image58
    MsCoCoaBrwnposted 2 years ago

No, it shouldn't. But if we are really being honest with ourselves and with history, the American flag and the Confederate flag are really interchangeable.

5. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

NEVER!  The Confederate flag has a very dark history.  It symbolizes racism and oppression.  The Confederate flag is not for a 21st century, diverse, multicultural, multiracial, and progressive America.

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

The United States Constitution didn't provide protections against racism. Even after the Civil War ended and the 13, 14, and 15th amendments ended slavery. They didn't give women of any color the right to vote. That didn't happen until 1920.

Most of the founders of the US Constitution had slaves.
    I really don't care whether the Confederate Flag stays or goes, but I think it is a waste of time to make it an issue.

Everybody still balks about racism even after we have a two term president that claims to be African American. So, how does it help to take down the Confederate Flag?

We still sell tobacco, because Congress still supports the Southern States and their big crop is tobacco. It would have been more meaningful and healthy for the country to get rid of tobacco.

7. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 18 months ago

Do nations usually let symbols of traitorous rebellion fly over its federal government buildings? I would say the United States is quite unusual in that regard.