Would a Trump Presidency Be an Embarrassment for the United States and the Repub

Jump to Last Post 51-73 of 73 discussions (417 posts)
  1. old albion profile image64
    old albionposted 6 years ago

I agree with the sentiments expressed, your photograph says it all though of course photos are chosen to make a point. I am a 72 years old Englishman but have seen many leaders come and go. I do not want Clinton because of her past however Trump is the only candidate / leader that makes me fear for the future. Diplomacy is the name of the game, taking advice is part of this, I fear Trump lacks these qualities. I truly hope I am wrong.

1. savvydating profile image90
      savvydatingposted 6 years agoin reply to this

On the other hand, Graham, Trump has learned how to surround himself with the best and brightest, and he does understand the art of negotiation---so maybe this is something to give the world some hope. But needless to say, I am worried.

2. profile image58
    jerrycarmanposted 6 years ago

NO it would be a good idea to have someone like Trump as president. We need someone other than a politition  to make America great againand bring new people into the Republican party.

1. profile image51
      frumpletonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well, you don't think Trump is a politician?  He runs his mouth and begs for votes.  What else would you call him?  (Besides a jerk)

3. profile image0
    The J Phronesisposted 6 years ago

I think Trump will be America's next president.

And I don't think he'll be an embarrassment to his country; in fact I do think that he'll get things done.

As to why people defend him it's obviously because they connect with him at some very important level.

Thank you for commenting Elias. Many people do indeed connect with Trump. They like his refusal to be politically correct, among other things.

2. profile image51

They connect because they are bullies just like Trump

4. Siddharthasb profile image61
    Siddharthasbposted 6 years ago

I think personally it's because Americans want a change. That's how it looks like from abroad. However whether that change is for the better or worse remains to be seen. While campaigning politicians say many things they don't necessarily put all those things into practice if voted into power. Also the media loves to sensationalize and nothing rocks like scandal. To be fair I think Trump has to contend with a fairly unsympathetic and hostile media. Having said that I would have personally preferred Bernie Sanders to be elected President of the United States.

You have very good observations, Siddhartha. I will say that the media has been good to Trump in having given him "free" airtime, but now that Hillary is on the attack, the media is playing this up for all it's worth.

2. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You're right, change is at the heart of this, just as it was when the US elected Obummer.

5. devh11890 profile image60
    devh11890posted 6 years ago

Firstly, politics has become very personal this year. Most people who hate Donald Trump has seen only clips of his speeches, and fabricated reports on what he's been saying. There is no evidence that points to Donald Trump being a misogynist woman hater, or a straight up racist.
    Example, Donald Trump on Mexicans.. when he mentioned rapist, he was speaking about the Coyotes that bring illegal immigrants over the border, which are also know as sex trafficking ring leaders. He said quote "Immigrants are bringing drugs, crime, their rapist, and some are I assume are good people" yes, he speaks very loosely, but this is not a racist statement, it's factual.

Lynne Patton a woman of color who was a former executive of Trump's spoke out to the people about the accusations of him being a racist " I can no longer remain silent about the repeated and reprehensible attempts to align my boss and his family with racist hate-mongering groups & campaigns." -Lynne Patton

He also had Barbra Res in charge of the construction of Trump tower in 1980. He's not a misogynist pig, as much as leftist liberals and ill-informed feminists  would like to make him out to be.

His plan on closing borders, and creating a temporary ban on Muslims entering the country is NOT RACISM. Building a wall is actually quite wise to do at this point in the game.

I am not a full on Trump supporter, or any candidate this year. Just waiting for the circus to play out. I will defending the support false claims against Donald Trump and his goals for the country. Thanks for posting

A high thoughtful comment, Devyn.. It is indeed important to point out flaws in media reporting. Still, I am concerned about Trump's bringing up the heritage of an American judge...
      http://newswatchreport.com/item/287602_ … judge-accu

2. profile image51

Good luck on the wall between Mexico and the US.  How do you suppose we will pay for this?  Do you think good old Donald will?  Ha!  Not a chance.  If he gets elected, it will only be for his pride and nothing more.

6. Hax Shaw profile image55
    Hax Shawposted 6 years ago

I Think We Should give him a chance. May be this time he'll brought Good Luck. big_smile

You have a generous spirit, Abdul. Time will reveal all things.

7. profile image48
    Alphawilposted 6 years ago

Trump phenomenon stems from decades of oppression of the White Working Class. Many years of being placed on the bottom of the list due to affirmative action. Why should a white not be accepted to a college or place of employment because government regulations. Success is earned and not a right. The Trump rise is a direct result of unjust government regulation called Affirmative Action.

8. cperuzzi profile image91
    cperuzziposted 6 years ago

Do you need more than a simple "yes"?

Whatever you thought of Donald Trump during the eighties, he is not that man anymore.  The guy who wrote The Art of the Deal is not the buffoon who has been campaigning to be out chief executive.  This man has literally said nothing except how great he is and how people love him. 

Well, some people think he's great and some people love him.  Some people also like to have others defecate on their faces.

I'm not one of those.

Despite boasting an ivy league career and having money, he really hasn't done anything that anyone else couldn't do under the same circumstances with the same resources.  He inherited his father's money and decided to do things that were common sense at that time.  It was no rocket science.

He would be a disaster as a president.  He doesn't play well with others and it appears he's nothing more than a pathological liar and sociopath.

My theory is that he's campaigning for President to keep out of prison from the charges and fallout from Trump University.

1. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If Trump is campaigning to keep out of prison, he's got good company with HRC.

2. savvydating profile image90

They could be prison buddies. wink

3. profile image51

Trump is a loud mouth (like a trumpet) and I can't stand him.  He is egotistical and a bigot and a crook (I think).  He just wants glory and power

9. GlendaGoodWitch profile image89
    GlendaGoodWitchposted 6 years ago

No, Unless you are a spineless liberal weasel. Obama has been a major disaster for 8 years and if Trump can accomplish half of what he has talked about....... Undo Obamacare, give tax cuts to those of us who do things, and be serious about our borders, this country will drastically improve.

Good point, Glenda. That's the big question--Can we really stomach four to eight more years of disaster even, (as in my case) if we don't really like Trump? Probably not. Hillary as President would be devastating, to say the least.

2. Sgt Prepper profile image59
      Sgt Prepperposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Glenda nailed it...again.

10. PDXBuys profile image78
    PDXBuysposted 6 years ago

Trump would be a great president.  Doesn't really matter what the UK thinks since they will not be voting.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image38
      bradmasterOCcalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree

11. profile image49
    samir1995posted 6 years ago

I think Mr. Trump is not good for U.S becoz he is businessman not a politician.

I would much rather that he had experience in politics too, Samir.

2. Lee Ann Bunch profile image59
      Lee Ann Bunchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That is why he is good.  We need out from under communist influence.  Do you want your freedom or not?  You are about to lose it!

3. profile image51

Oh, Trump is a politician all right.  He is not a good businessman.  He inherited from his father.  His father had low income rents.  Trump doesn't know anything except for probably swindling people.

12. Johnny James A profile image62
    Johnny James Aposted 6 years ago

While I am not a Trump supporter, I think the success or failure (embarrassment) will depend on who he selects as his advisors. In my opinion Trump has a lot of redeeming qualities and a lot of odious ones.  However, the quality that may have made him a good businessman may be the one that could ruin his presidency and that is his need to dominate everything. You see this a lot in sports.  An athlete who has an all consuming drive to be the best uses this drive to help him rise to the top of his sport.  However, if they later become a coach or GM they become failures because their personality literally consumes those beneath them and shatters their confidence.  Trump will definitely need a trusted assistant who can help him work with Legislators, delegates, other foreign heads of state, etc.  This assistant will need to be strong enough to go head to head with Trump and not just be a "Yes Man."  Trump will also have to learn that he will not be able to keep all of his campaign promises as no president has ever done so. He will have to rely on Congress to get so many of his proposals enacted and since he already has issues with certain member within the Republican ranks he will find things very difficult unless he makes powerful allies quickly; and although Paul Ryan  recently came out and "towed the party line" to support Trump's candidacy it does not appear Ryan is squarely in Trump's camp.

Fantastic analysis, James. I think you've got it right. Supposedly, Trump is talking to the right people and asking them relevant questions, so I hold out some hope. But I cringe every time he does an interview. For me, it's downright painful.

2. Perspycacious profile image63
      Perspycaciousposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Tribune Washington Bureau did a great article on what Mr. Trump is doing to brief on the issues for the final contest and the all important debates with Mrs. Clinton.  Just enter the Bureau and Trump to read it.

3. savvydating profile image90

I'll check it out, Demas.

13. My Esoteric profile image83
    My Esotericposted 6 years ago

Without a doubt.  He already is and it is going to get much, much worse before November.

14. profile image52
    getkleenezposted 6 years ago

You should ask the same question about Hilary Clinton who's record in Washington speaks for itself.

I'd have to use another adjective for her.

2. profile image51

I don't like her either, but at least she's not a communist like Trump who wants Russia to hack her emails.  If Russia can do that, how do you know they won't hack our secret service, our military, etc. ?

Both candidates are sub-standard. The only difference is that Hillary is guaranteed to be corrupt. And Donald is highly likely to be corrupt. Why did Americans choose  these two? Laziness. They can't be bothered to know the truth about either one.

15. Julie Juliana profile image60
    Julie Julianaposted 6 years ago

Looking in from afar, my first reaction to Donald Trump was that he would pull the country down and make it seem an idiot. Since that time I have listened to various comments and my interest grows and changes with each day.

Donald Trump can't be bought and it seems that Hilary Clinton can be bought.
    Donald Trump just tells it as he sees it. What you see is what you get. Hilary Clinton does not seem truthful and appears to say what she thinks people want to hear.

Donald Trump would certainly ruffle a lot of feathers, were he to become president, but maybe that's just what America and the rest of the world needs?
    We've all watched, in recent years, while America turns in on itself and drowns in unacceptable gun laws, unacceptable interference in other country's wars,  unacceptably costly health services, unacceptable living standards for its poor.

Love him or hate him, you just can't ignore Donald Trump and maybe, just maybe, he might give everything and everyone a huge shakeup for positive change - or he'll destroy the country for the next president to build up and make a name for themself.

Maybe he just has that "New Yorker" thing of being brash---or is that more of a New Jersey thing? But yes, Donald does know how to shake things up. Nevertheless, it really is time for him to act more "presidential." Thanks for commenting, Julie.

2. profile image51

You said it:  "Trump wants to make a name for himself."  He doesn't really care about working as a president.  He just wants the glory

16. dianetrotter profile image64
    dianetrotterposted 6 years ago

Absolutely.  They need a real candidate ASAP!

17. Lee Ann Bunch profile image59
    Lee Ann Bunchposted 6 years ago

Trump is standing up against the illuminati-new world order-take over of America.  Just as JFK DID

That's an interesting comment, lee Ann.

2. profile image51

Trump is nothing like JFK

3. Sgt Prepper profile image59
      Sgt Prepperposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Must read the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Sion, the Bankers Manifesto of 1892, the Jesuit Oath of Ordination & the Illuminati-Freemason Covenant. Their New World Order is almost complete. I hate Big Brother.

18. profile image51
    frumpletonposted 6 years ago

Trump is always yelling or has his mouth open.  He is like my governor of Maine -- a bigot who doesn't listen to anyone else's opinion.  He only wants to be president so he can puff himself up somemore., besides having his Trump Tower, and possibly another Trump Tower in Russia, so he can feel like a king.  He is a stupid person.  And he inherited his beginners luck from his family.  He didn't do it on his own.

19. profile image0
    Nudelyposted 6 years ago

There is another choice. It is the Libertarians and if you do the research, you will likely find SOMETHING about them that doesn't float ur boat... for me it's their support of TPP. I will live with that, though, hoping maybe Congress will have the sense not to give them the opportunity to sign it into law. OK, so all that said, (pardon my caps:) THE LIBERTARIANS ARE HANDS DOWN THE MOST QUALIFIED TEAM TO IMMEDIATELY GRASP THE REINS OF POWER!!! Consider: They were two Republican governors in HEAVILY Democrat states. Not only did they both get elected, THEY BOTH GOT RE-ELECTED! What this tells me is that while Obama flapped his lips about reaching across the aisle, THESE GUYS WILL ACTUALLY BREAK THE GRIDLOCK! Can you imagine a functional government once again? Can you imagine the National Debt going down instead of up? Can you imagine not settling for one of two career criminals as your next President? Fix that image in your head and then convey that belief to your friends and neighbors. If EVER there was a year for a third party, THIS IS IT!!! If ever there was a year to tell the establishment 1%ers to f**k off and die, THIS IS IT!!! If ever there was a moment in history to tell the corporatocracy to go pound sand, THIS IS IT!!! Can you imagine how smoothly the country could run after a 4-year-long Libertarian colonic cleaning out the D.C. political sewer pipes? How about 8 years of getting back to basics, returning government to it's properly appointed duties, and demonstrating to the world that LIBERTY is still worth fighting for!

Many of you think a third party is a lost cause. Keep thinking that way and you'll create the self-fulfilling prophecy. Take this one opportunity to jump on the third party bandwagon, at least you know a few hundred thousand votes are with you. Assange will likely drop another bomb on Hillary and Trump will likely drop a small tactical nuke on himself. Some things are almost inescapable, like gravity.

Do this for your peace of mind, do this for your kids, do this for someone else's kids, do this for the entire world. The effects of the world's number one economy adopting a Libertarian poise would be, well, as one candidate would put it: "YUUUUGE!!!"

1. My Esoteric profile image83
      My Esotericposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree the two libertarian are as ready as Hillary to be President. I do not agree they will have anymore luck than Obama did in trying to get conservatives 2 govern. In Fact, the conservatives TELL you they won't govern except under their rules.

2. profile image0
      Nudelyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If what you say is true, then the conservatives would be playing a dangerous game. If we're talking about "Karl Rove-style Conservatism" then it isn't really conservatism at all, just the expected "Establishment" gangrenous necrosis.

3. My Esoteric profile image83

You are right, Jim,  other I would replace "would be" with "are"; and it isn't the Rove-types; it is the Tea Party-types.  Just ask Boehner and Ryan.  The Freedom Caucus refuses to govern in the way the founders wanted.

4. profile image0
      Nudelyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Your TEA Party comments seem to be from an outsider-looking-in perspective. I've been a part of the movement for years and can tell you that many chapters this year are involved with promoting Libertarian events.

5. My Esoteric profile image83

A crazy person doesn't know they r crazy, just those observing from the outside can see it. & what I see r 40 Tea Party-types VOCALLY say they have NO interest n Compromise; the concept America was founded on.  You may not see it that way, but it

20. profile image0
    marcuscaineposted 6 years ago

He would be a huge embarrassment for this country!
    He has no idea what he is doing!
    He has insulted huge swathes of the voting population!

People are defending him because they think that if he doesn't win, the GOP will never win the white house again. Also because he is an outsider and is "politically incorrect".

He has also reactivated the bigots inside of the republican party. Who would love it if one of their "own" entered the white house.

He is currently against TPP.

1. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60
      Dont Taze Me Broposted 6 years agoin reply to this

TPP?so u r for most of the gains in income going to workers making more than $88,000/yr contributing more to income inequality in high-wage countries by promoting cheaper goods from low-wage countries?&TPP supersedes financial regulations.

21. Reluctant Revival profile image56
    Reluctant Revivalposted 6 years ago

The Trump presidency would be an embarrassment for the United States and the Republican Party because Donald Trump is a cut-throat businessman who doesn't care about people's feelings or their respect for religion. Donald Trump will not follow Republican protocol either.

He does have that "bull in a china shop" effect. At least 1/3 of Republicans are dismayed that Trump is the nominee. After all, we are the Party of Abraham Lincoln...

2. My Esoteric profile image83

I sorry to say that the Party of Lincoln you knew, the one with a social conscience, was booted out by the conservative take-over.  Once the conservative Southern Democrats were gone in the 90s, the D Party now is more aligned with Lincoln.

Completely False. But then, you also believe everything Hillary says, so I won't spend any more time trying to help you see the facts.

4. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

lol Savvy, you have ME pegged correctly. It's called the alternate reality, liberalism.

5. My Esoteric profile image83

Sorry Savvy, what facts?  All I have seen from your side is unsubstantiated assertions and outright lies.

6. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

Alternate reality, there is no hope for him.

7. savvydating profile image90

I know, Taze. Unfortunately, such gullibility is all too prevalent.
      Esoteric has provided us with a disturbing snapshot of many American voters. God help us.

22. MissteeqCobb profile image59
    MissteeqCobbposted 6 years ago

Absolutely yes. I used to have so much respect for him as a businessman and father, but now I wish he had remained silent. I'm embarrassed  by him and he won't even represent me. Beyond anything else I'm amazed that he has got this far in the campaign given the promises, claims and insults that he has been making.

But I guess this is democracy, it's definitely working for him.

I hear you, Mistreeq. I never thought he'd get this far either. Strange times we're living in...

Sad times as well.

23. john000 profile image95
    john000posted 6 years ago

"His lack of knowledge about foreign policy, and most policies for that matter is next to nil."
    Does that mean he has a bit of knowledge?

What is your point, John? I assume Trump has a bit of knowledge. Are you comparing him to Hillary, who had knowledge but failed? Not sure where you are coming from.

Savvy, Trump's lack of knowledge about the things it takes to run the most powerful nation in the world is self-evident; just listen to him. Clinton's knowledge AND experience are equally self-evident.  As to thinking she failed, you are in minority.

3. john000 profile image95
      john000posted 6 years agoin reply to this

His lack of knowledge is next to nil, or his knowledge is next to nil?

4. My Esoteric profile image83

I see what you mean, I think it was the last version John meant.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)