Test for Covid-19

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Miebakagh57 profile image52
    Miebakagh57posted 11 months ago

How many times have you subject to testing for covid-19 in a week? Today, I was test two times. First, before I enter my bank, and with a face cloth cover or mask. Then, when I went shopping. Both negative.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image81
      Kathryn L Hillposted 11 months agoin reply to this

I hear it tickles.

Miebakagh57posted 11 months agoin reply to this

Goodness me, my Kathryn's here. Trying to be funny like me? And the next day, I was test again entering a bank.

2. Kyler J Falk profile image90
      Kyler J Falkposted 11 months agoin reply to this

Luckily, I don't live in a country where they can test me before entering essential businesses. I have no average for weekly testings because there is no precedent for it in the US.

Agreed there's no precedent not just in the USA. But a very big company will have you test always before entering their offices.

3. Sharlee01 profile image84
      Sharlee01posted 11 months agoin reply to this

The CDC at this point recommends only to be tested if you have a symptom or have come in contact with someone that tested positive or for work if it's required. here in Michigan tests are almost on every corner in most drug stores. I plan to follow CDC guidelines at this point. If cases tick up I will test more often.

But one concern of mine: the temperature tool. Seems infra-red. And the health risks?

2. Miebakagh57 profile image52

That's makes some some sense.

1. Sharlee01 profile image84

One other thing to consider--- As the death toll goes down so does testing. At this point, it appears the virus is still circulating approx 40 plus per day,   in a population of 340 million people approx one thousand a day is parsing. A thousand per day can be handled with tracing and quarantine at this point. I know in Michigan tracing is being done on infections, and people are being tested as CDC requests if they were in contact with anyone that has the virus. Tracing is a tried and true way of containing a virus when numbers permit it. At this point, the US numbers permit the new guidelines.

The CDC's new guidelines make sense today if uptick occurs they will most likely return to testing more.

1. Nathanville profile image93
            Nathanvilleposted 11 months agoin reply to this

The USA is NOT doing enough testing, nor does it have enough ‘contact tracers’ to keep the pandemic under control. 

On the 30th July (just four weeks ago) the USA only had 41,122 contact tracers; in spite of the fact that according to the CDC a minimum of 100,000 are needed for the USA to be able to combat the pandemic.

The current problems with testing in the USA are:-

1.    To many tests are taking too long to be of any value to contact tracers; to be of value tests results need to be returned within 24 hours; not days later, as is often the case in the USA.

2.    There is not enough contact tracers to cope with the current volume of testing anyway, let alone the amount of testing that’s need to control the pandemic. 

However, to scale back (to not test for asymptomatic people) is a big mistake, and will only mean that the virus continues to spread throughout the USA unabated; which will invariably mean an even higher death toll in the USA:  The current prediction being over 300,000 Covid-19 related deaths in the USA by the end of the year; which apart from Brazil and Mexico is likely to be the worst death toll of any country in the world.

The USA, with a population of over 328 million are scaling back from 800,000 tests a day at a time when it needs to be scaled up significantly in order to stand any chance of brining the pandemic under control, and save lives:  Especially at a time when over 40,000 Americans every day are still testing positive for Covid-19 (in spite of testing be scaled back), and around 1,000 Americans are still dying each day.

In contrast, the UK, with a population of over 66 million (a 5th of the size of the USA) is aiming to scale up testing from just under 300,000 a day to around half a million by the end of September; 97.5 of test results are returned within 24 hours, and the UK has 27,000 contact tracers, who are able to keep on top of the pandemic because in the UK we only have around 1,000 new cases a day, and the daily death toll in the UK is now 10 or less (a fraction of the 1,000 a day in the USA).

You make some valid points. However, some do not ring true. We have tested 81,107,32. Living here I can tell you the media is not being honest in regards to the time one waits for results. One can literally get a 15-minute test at most drug stores, and we have drug stores almost on every corner. The tests that are taking longer are obtained in the doctor's offices

I can't comment on why the CDC changes the guidelines. Being a nurse I do know numbers count when making not only when calling a virus pandemic but also guidelines when a virus is no longer considered a pandemic, as well as to decrease testing, and actually stop counting tests. Which with this CDC if the death rate falls more, they may stop counting tests.

Would agree at this point with the CDC's new guideline --- No not with this virus. But I don't make the decisions. I had little trust in the CDC before this pandemic, and have no trust in them now. I blame them as well as WHO for dropping the ball in regard to COVID. And it's clear they are both continuing to make serious mistakes.

My own opinion after years in the medical field. The virus will mutate, and hopefully become nothing but the flu, as did H1N1 which is once again making it yearly visits. The good thing we can all choose to get our yearly flu shot. Hopefully, in a year or more likely two, we will have an added component to out yearly and that will be COVID.

At this point, I am living my life around the virus doing all I can to decrease spread, and I have given my plasma due to having the virus and being tested for the antibody. I never knew I had COVID but felt the need to be checked. I wish more antibody testing would be done. We could come up with an accurate number of how many had it and just did not know they had it.

1. CHRIS57 profile image60
                CHRIS57posted 11 months agoin reply to this

I think the discussion is not about where and how fast you can get tested. Isn´t it more about how long it takes to provide results?

It takes usually some 24 hours to get test results, even if some methods may promise faster results. However, if analysis is delayed due to lab bottlenecks, or closures because of hurricanes or... then people may run around and spread without knowing. Or is there a mandatory quarantene for those who were tested until results prove negative?

You can see the test analysis delay on the weekly charts. Weekend data is always lower, and "Corona-weekend" is Sunday and Monday.

We were having problems with some test-taking anywhere from 4 to 10 days, this became a problem in tallying infections properly. Caused a backlog at the CDC. The testing time has gotten better in some parts of the US. We, as a rule, were seeing as you mention low counts on weekends and seeing Tue, and  Wed, with the added backlog numbers. It became very apparent just looking at the charts on Worldometer.

When one took the test that took longer, the person was told to self-quarantine. I am very sure some did not and will not comply.

2. Nathanville profile image93

Yeah, to date there’s been 81,832,247 in the USA, which over the past 5 months of testing averages out to more than 400,000 tests a day; which taking into account that far fewer tests were being done in the early months is consistent with the 800,000 tests currently being done daily.

The 15-minute test kits which you can buy at drug stores in the USA are not very accurate (as Chris frequently points out) which is why they are not approved for sale in the UK. 

Although in the UK, if you want a test you can make an on-line appointment (on the NHS website) for a same day test, and get your results back within 24 hours in 97.5% of cases; and those tests, as well as being FREE, are extremely accurate.  And if you do prove ‘positive’ a contact tracer will contact you within 24 hours to find out who you’ve been in close contact with within the past two weeks so that they can be contacted; so that they can self-isolate and get tested (for free).

Perhaps I can shed some light on the CDC?   

Under CDC guidelines 5% positivity rate in testing is their ‘magic marker’ on whether a States can ease up on its Covid-19 Safe Regulations, or whether the State should be tightening up the ‘Social’ and or ‘economic’ restrictions e.g. ‘Social Distancing’, wearing masks, closing bars etc.

Currently, the average ‘positivity rate’ for the USA, as a whole, is 5.34%; which is above the CDC’s target, which means that although some States maybe currently below the 5% positivity rate, many are not, and in those States the Governors should be tightening up on the Regulations to try to curb the spread of the virus.

In the UK our Government uses a different criteria, based on the ‘R’ value, which currently in the UK is hovering around ‘1’ e.g. lower than ‘1’ and the Government eases restrictions, higher than ‘1’ and the Government tighten restrictions.

However, easing up on testing is not the answer, and is not what the WHO or any other scientific body recommends; because it’s only through large scale mass testing that the contact tracers can spot and isolate any local outbreaks of the virus and stop it from spreading.

In contrast the positivity rate on testing in the UK is currently 0.4% (less than a tenth of what it is in the USA).

In retrospect WHO, CDC, SAGE (the UK Scientific and Medical Advice Body), and all the other Scientific bodies around the world have given some advice which hasn’t always been the best.  But at the time of giving that advice, it’s always been based on the best scientific evidence available at the time.

The important thing is, is that as imperfect as that advice may have been at the time, European and Asian Governments have faithfully followed that Advice from WHO, and consequently have successfully contained the pandemic; the USA has not faithfully followed the advice from WHO, and has not contained the virus.

The recent changes in the guidelines by the CDC are NOT scientific, and the CDC has been criticised by scientific bodies around the world for making those changes; because those changes are ‘political’ not scientific.   Hence the speculation that the White House is putting politic pressure on the CDC, just as the White House is putting political pressure on the FDA.

I know from our previous discussions over the months that you (like Trump) has been wishing for the virus to mutate and just go away.  But it’s not going to on its own, to save lives we have to fight it now; until such time as a vaccine is widely available, and that’s not likely to happen for a good few months yet, which means that in the meantime Americans are going to continue to die in their thousands for the foreseeable future.

With reference to your last comment:  The UK Government has devoted a lot of time and resources to mass antibody testing, with the latest results showing that to date, just under 6% of Brits have had Covid-19.

"The 15-minute test kits which you can buy at drug stores in the USA are not very accurate (as Chris frequently points out) which is why they are not approved for sale in the UK. '

Our drug stores have clinics ( that have long been part of the services one can obtain) The clinic is set up to do the 15-minute test.
                  Not sure where you got your information.
                  "Patients must register in advance on CVS.com to schedule an appointment for a test. When they arrive for their appointment, patients are required to stay in their cars and go to the CVS Pharmacy drive-thru window to complete their test."

Thanks for the clarification Sharlee; I think the problem was misunderstanding terminology e.g. American English vs British English.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image52

Thanks for the information.              I like the daily tests(apart from the temperature checks).          The anti-body tests, are not available here in Nigeria.                                            If you sick of a fever or a cold symptom report at the hospital private or public. What type of tests, checks, treatments that were done, is not made publlc. That is the Nigerian system.

4. CHRIS57 profile image60

What kind of test are you referring to? Temperature? That is no indicator for Covid19.
      Real WHO test will require some time and resources (labs, chemicals) to get results. Antibody test will also require time and equipment, even though not very reliable.

I agreed with Bev and. CHRISIS 57. It's temperature check/test. In Nigeria where covid-19 was much misunderstand by the majority, the temperature test was equaly the covid test. Even if you're not sick.    But this is not due to illiteracy. It is due to the peoples mindset. The majority thought the disease a figment of imagination because not one person has been a victim in a population of 20,000.       However, the thread has provide much information beyond my current understanding.

2. Eurofile profile image95
    Eurofileposted 11 months ago

Generally, in the UK, we get tested if we start to have symptoms of COVID-19 or think we might have been in close contact with a sufferer. Unless you are involved in a sport, where routine testing takes place to keep COVID out of the matches.

3. Eric Caunca profile image94
    Eric Cauncaposted 11 months ago

There's also no test in the Philippines. They are just scanning the temperature. However, if we are not wearing a face mask, face shield, and do not follow the one-meter distance rule, we are not allowed to enter the essential business, and worst we can be arrested.

You mean if one intrude with force?

Yep, here in the UK it’s a £60 ($80) fine for a first offence, which doubles for each subsequent offence for not following the basic Covid-19 Safety Regulations e.g. not wearing a mask in enclosed public spaces, breaching social distancing rules etc.  There’s also a £100 ($130) fine for breaching the 14 day quarantine rules; and a £10,000 ($13,000) fine if you organise a party.

Likewise, in the UK there’s no temperature test for entering a bank or shop, but you must wear a mask and keep social distancing; and at my local banks an employee in full PPE is at the door of the bank, and they let people in one at a time, limiting the number of customers inside the bank to just three people (socially distanced inside).

As regards full testing (other than temperature test) e.g. the test kits; it’s as Eurofile said above (freely available), and free of course, and unlike the USA (where it can take days) 97.5% of the test results are returned within 24 hours.  Also, around the 10th August the NHS (UK Government) started using two new ‘rapid’ tests (both developed and manufactured in England) that gives results within 90 minutes, as part of the UK’s objective to step up testing to half a million a day by September (Compared to less than 800,000 in the USA currently).

Also, a Rapid antibody test kit, developed by a British consortium, including Oxford University, which gives results in 20 minutes, and which under trials has a sensitivity of 98% and specificity accuracy for Covid-19 of 99.6%, is currently being trialled by the NHS (National Health Service) with the indentation to release for home use by October.   This will supersede the current antibody test (developed by Sweden) which has been in use in the UK for several months, which although more accurate, takes longer e.g. 24 hours for the results.

There is also a 12 minute test, developed in the UK, which uses the nasal swab as part of the test, that’s currently under trial (since 21st July) specifically for screening passengers at airports returning back to the UK e.g. to eliminate the need for the current mandatory 14 day quarantine from countries which are deemed unsafe by the UK Government.

Thanks for the update. In Nigeria, only a maximum of 10 per

2. Miebakagh57 profile image52

All these updates has no parallel in Nigeria.            Althought vacine and testing tools were invited by some private proffesionals, government refused recognition.

3. theraggededge profile image98
        theraggededgeposted 11 months agoin reply to this

Not in Wales smile

Yep, I know Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have different Covid-19 Regulations and fines.  My mistake, I should have said England not UK.  I don't know what the current differences are, but a little while back I did gen up on them because Bristol is only a 20 minute drive from Wales, and Wales was one of our considerations for a short day out to get some fresh air.

1. theraggededge profile image98

Yes, we are just mostly going about our business as usual. Unless you use a train or bus, there's no requirement for masks or temperature checks.

They did put a five mile limit on journeys but it wasn't enforced - I carried on driving to Cardiff to see my mother throughout. We decided between us that the 'risk' was worth it.

I think Miebakagh means temp checks, not actual covid tests. There's still no instant test result, is there?

Thanks for the clarity.

We’ve always followed the rules (Covid-19 safe Regulations) diligently; and under those rules we now have a friend who lives on his own in Portsmouth in our ‘Social Bubble’.  We did feel sorry for him because living on his own he was isolated from family and friends for months under the strict Regulations in England.

I can’t remember what the precise Regulations were for Wales, but in England, from the 23rd March until the 13th June people living on their own were prohibited from seeing anyone else.

You are right, there are still no instant test results in the UK (self-test kits that in other countries you can buy in shops).  The UK Government hasn’t approved them because (as Chris frequently points out) the current self-test home kits are too unreliable. 

However in the UK it is quite immaterial because if you think you might have been exposed to Covid-19 you can simply book an appointment on-line for a proper test done by the NHS, which is very accurate, which is FREE, and which in 97.5% of cases you get your test results back within 24 hours.

However, the NHS are currently trialling two instant test kits for detecting Covid-19 antibodies, which gives results within 20 minutes, and which under trials has a sensitivity of 98% and specificity accuracy for Covid-19 of 99.6%.  If these trials are successful then the Government are mindful to approve one or both of these tests kits for home use by October.

The only other quick test kit that’s being trialled in the UK is a 12 minute test kit, that involves the use of nasal swabs, specifically for use at airports, to eliminate the current need for the mandatory 14 day quarantine e.g. far more reliable than the temperature test.  The temperature test not being approved for use in the UK because it’s not a particularly reliable method of detecting infection.

Did you notice that the figures for people who died of Covid-19 *ONLY* is about 1,600 in the UK and 9,600 in the US?

All the others had life-threatening underlying conditions OR had tested positive for CV while dying of something else. Vastly inflated figures.

This graphic is from July. The number of people killed directly by Covid in the UK since the beginning of the pandemic was 1,379.

That's why I have ignored the rules. We should keep our vulnerable safe, of course, but locking down the whole country was madness.

Edit: I just checked... 6% of the total number of deaths attributed to Covid in the US were from Covid only.

https://hubstatic.com/15180393_f1024.jpg

1. CHRIS57 profile image60

Sorry to jump in.
                  It does not matter if someone died of Covid19 or with Covid19. If you look at charts like provided here https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps we all have to deal with and understand "excess deaths".
                  Excess deaths simply compares the death count of current period with previous periods (previous years). This number is significantly higher in 2020 than in previous years, and that includes seasonal flu or other influences.

People may have had serious preconditions. But the could have lived more years without Covid19. So the virus chopped off years of life expectency from those with preconditions.

Just do this maths: Life expectancy 80 years, every year 800.000 plus die in the UK. Half year of pandemic: 400.000 natural mortality. Covid19 attributed more than 40.000. This means statistically: 10% of life expectancy is taken away from average citizen over the period of half year . This may be 50% for elderly and 90% for those with preconditions, just squeeze the statistics and numbers.

The future after the Corona mess is over will probably show an undercut of the natural mortality, because all those with preconditions who had died from Covid19 will be missing in the natural deaths statistics.

I agree with almost everything you say, but... the fact still remains that the majority of healthy people did not need to lock-down. As I mentioned, the vulnerable had to be shielded, of course, but the economy and education was wrecked for nothing.

And I have heard countless anecdotes where CV-19 was put on a death certificate for no reason at all. Even if someone fell down the stairs and later died. A friend of ours is a charge nurse in a hospice; there were no more deaths there than would normally be expected but they died of Covid - even when they didn't.

There's an ongoing investigation in Ireland's Western Trust as to why CV-19 was repeatedly cited as the cause of death when the patient displayed no symptoms or had a positive test. The UK's should also be investigated - I'll take a bet that the numbers would be revised down significantly.

In January 2018, 8.3 million people (15% of the population) reported having flu symptoms - it barely made the news.

Yep, I am aware that around 95% of those who die because Covid-19 are people with underlining medical conditions; but those underling medical conditions specifically includes people with asthma, diabetes and obesity. 

People with diabetes are in the high risk group for dying from Covid-19, and we have friends who are diabetic (including our friend in Portsmouth).  So there is no way we are going to take the risk of contracting Covid-19 and then pass it onto our friends who are in the high risk group. 

In fact, if you look at the statistics closely, 26% of people in the UK who died due to Covid-19 had diabetes as their underlying medical condition.

Besides, both my wife and I are over 60 (another fairly high risk group statistically), so we don’t want to take any risks for ourselves; and that’s why our son has been so diligent in being cautious, because he doesn’t want to take the risk of passing the virus onto his parents, who because of their age are at a higher risk from the virus.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image52

In Nigeria, no arrest ever takes place.

4. theraggededge profile image98
    theraggededgeposted 11 months ago

The point I made remains. We locked down healthy people when there was no need for it. The UK did not pay enough attention to the stats in Italy, which clearly showed that while the immuno-compromised, the elderly and already-sick were dropping like flies, the healthy were able to cope.

The problem is now, that the media and govt are reporting 'cases' (positive tests) rather than hospitalisations and deaths. Having a positive test does not mean someone is ill.

My partner who has mild asthma and diabetes has been back at work for over a month. We refuse to live in fear.

That can at times be a false positive. And a second or confirmatory test decide the matter.

2. CHRIS57 profile image60

You are certainly right in pointing out that elderly and health compromised needed more protection. However every country with any kind of handling the  pandemia failed in protecting the elderly.

No matter, late response, early response, politicised response, no response (Sweden), all failed in isolating the virus from the vulnerable. So the only way to keep fatalities low is to bend the curve as soon as possible, to reduce active cases as soon as possible. This requires action that has impact on the economic well being of all of us and in some cases questions the democratic legitimacy.

Concerning your critics on the media, at least in Germany i get all information from the media. Example: By today we have close to 18.600 active cases, 248 hospitalized in ICUs, from those 52% on ventilators.

It is everyones personal responsibility to stay out of trouble, to be conscious about spreading consequences, not necessarily for yourself, but for the community you live in.

My wife and i are in our 60ties and we cherish family life. This means 4 generations, 3 generations living close together, but in different housholds. Today i picked up my grandson from kindergarten, and the other grandchildren are on different schools and different sports clubs. We go out for shopping, for eating, for entertainment, sometimes partying. Definitely not what could be associated to fear of the virus

Locking down healthy people was done to dry out the infection spreading. Covid19 is much more contageous and requires other means than our yearly flu season. For me it is not fear, it is simply understanding and respecting what was done.

3. Nathanville profile image93

Italy’s lockdown was a lot tougher than the UK’s, and the fines a lot higher.  But a Chris points out, even with the lockdowns it’s proved impossible to provide effective shielding for those in the high risk groups e.g. the elderly and people with underlying conditions, including asthmatics, diabetics and people with obesity.

Also, it’s not just the elderly and people with medical conditions who die from Covid-19, 5% of the deaths are young and healthy people.  5% may not be a high death toll when you lockdown a country and contain the virus, like in Germany and Greece etc., but 5% soon becomes a substantial number of deaths when you allow the virus to spread unabated, like in the USA.

In the UK, due to the lockdown, only 6% of the British population has contracted Covid-19 (confirmed by an extensive antibody survey undertaken by the NHS).  Just think how many people would have been infected and how high the death toll would have been if we hadn’t had the lockdown.

The reason the media and Governments (including the Scottish Government) focus on ‘cases’ (positive tests) is because we do now have the pandemic under control in the UK, and we want to keep it that way e.g. it’s a very contagious virus, and to allow the active cases (the number of infected people) to rise out of control will ultimately lead to a rise in deaths again; as has happened in the USA.

At the moment, with the positivity rate on tests being less than 0.5% in the UK, and with only around 1,000 new cases being reported each day (in spite of testing being continually stepped up) the risk of your partner being exposed to Covid-19 is relatively low.  However, if your partner hasn’t already had Covid-19, then if there is a second wave of the pandemic in the UK, before a vaccine is made available, then your partner would be at greater risk of serious illness or death because of his diabetics.

Your partner is lucky to be back at work.  Our son is a professional nightclub photographer, and as such has been out of work since the 23rd March, and with no indication from the Government of when (realistically) nightclubs can open again, our son has no idea of when he will be able to work fulltime again (albeit he does have one job lined up in September from a private client who wants engagement photographs taken of her and her fiancé with the iconic Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bristol as the backdrop).  However (in typical British fashion) as frustrating as it is, he is philosophical about not being able to work full time at the moment, because he knows and understands that the Government’s tough approach on tackling the pandemic is the ‘right thing to do’; in spite of the fact that he (like us) is a socialist and loathes the Conservative Government.  But this pandemic isn’t about politics; it’s about saving lives, which he is as passionate about as we are.

Finally, we don’t live in fear; we are acting responsibly:  Because (notwithstanding that we are in a higher risk group because of our age), our main concern is that most of our family and friends (with whom we would normally have close contact with) are in the high risk groups e.g. elderly, and with underlying medical conditions such as diabetes.  Not only would it be irresponsible to put them at risk, but we don’t want to be responsible for their deaths by being irresponsible; so being responsible in taking measures to reduce the risk of us catching the virus and then passing it onto others whom it could kill, is ‘the right thing to do’.

5. Celestine Maduforo profile image61
    Celestine Maduforoposted 11 months ago

I heard it tickles, is that true?

But as a matter of fact, the whole thing is being politicized here by the Bihari's task force team in Nigeria

I don’t know, being retied, and having our food delivered to our door, we’ve had little reason to go out during the pandemic; so have had no reason to get tested.

It is sad when (like in the USA) it gets politicised; fortunately in the UK all political parties, regardless to their politics e.g. right-wing capitalists and left-wing Socialist parties, have all worked together to fight the common enemy; the pandemic.

As a Nigerian, I know it was politiczed to some extend, not just by the  Muhamadu Buhari administration, but some state governments.          For instance, a certain  Nollyhood actress return from Italy via, Spain. Being healthy, she seems to be a carrier of corvid-19.       Instead of keeping the lady isolated, the governor of the state placed it under lockdown immediately, but the lady disappeared.       For over a week, hunger nearly stir the face of the people.             Great Britain has set the best example per excellent as how to fight a common enemy. I hope the world copy that.

Well in fact, after a bumpy start Britain initially took its lead from other countries that (right from the start) have been more successful in fighting the pandemic e.g. China, South Korea, Greece and Germany etc.

Albeit in more recent months Britain has adopted its own methodology in combating the pandemic which (so far) has helped to avoid a second wave, which includes Boris’s (UK Conservative Prime Minister) focus on what he calls the ‘whack-a-mole’ policy (local lockdowns), and his tight control over air travel from other countries e.g. imposing strict 14 day quarantine for anyone travelling from countries where the infection rate is considered too high, with a £1,000 ($1,300) penalty for anyone who breaks the quarantine rules. 

The political leaders from the other three (Celtic) nations in the UK, Wales (Socialist), Scotland (Socialist) and Northern Ireland (hard right-wing unionists (nationalists)) have all followed similar policies to Boris in England, with similar success.

I agreed that China lead the world in controlling covid-19.                   But as far politics is concern GB is less divide.                    Each country of the world I realise is looking less to the WHO and the CDC and Prevention. Again, that's politics. But I believe each per has kearn some lesson.         That's information and knowledge to stay safe.

6. theraggededge profile image98
    theraggededgeposted 11 months ago

Meanwhile, back in Wales, I had to go for an X-ray yesterday and very few hospital staff were bothering with masks, although out-patients were (voluntarily; no one asked us to put them on) and I took mine off as soon as I came out of radiology.

Just driving around, shopping, running errands, it seems life is back to normal. The supermarket trolley sanitising stations have gone. There was no queuing or social distancing. Plenty of old folks out and about.

Two weeks ago, I travel out of my Rivers State to a neiboring sister state in Nigeria for a funeral function.               It is obvious to me either people are less caring or thinking the pandemic has gone.              Face mask or sheild were not significant again.     I advice my family to carry these basic gears to market places, church, shopping malls, and any where you get a crowd. I had my face mask made by me handy always.

In Bristol as at 1st September the positivity rate on testing over the past 7 days is 0.8% (1 in 125).  The ‘R’ number (infection rate) in the region is currently between 0.9 and 1.1.

In Bristol, with a population of just under half a million, since the start of the pandemic there have been a total of 253 Covid-19 related deaths (15% of all deaths in Bristol during that period).  The death toll may seem trivial to you, but the sad loss of Lord Bath to Covid-19 was a tragic loss to the region, and every death to Covid-19 is a sad loss to family and friends.

Yep, I am aware of your blasé attitude towards Covid-19.  In Bristol most people are now back to near normal life, with the exception that the nightclubs are still closed.  But ‘social distancing’ rules and wearing masks in enclosed public spaces are strictly being enforced by the shops and banks in Bristol (and quite rightly so), and we Bristolians are strictly adhering to those rules. 

The virus is still out there, and is still highly contagious, so why take unnecessary risks that you may later regret when observing ‘social distancing’ and ‘wearing masks’ is such an easy thing to do.

My wife was due to see a consultant in a local Bristol hospital earlier this week, but due to an outbreak of Covid-19 in the hospital, her appointment has been cancelled and she now has to wait for a new appointment to be made in another hospital who are now taking over the workload.

The last thing we want is a 2nd wave; especially if it’s avoidable through people being responsible.

Yep, just back from a virtual visit to the nigerian cdc.                                                       I can   bet a second wave of the pandemic as schools are opening.                                  This time from the kids.                                     As of yesterday 3 September, ncdc recorded 124 new cases and 21 deaths from 13 out of 36 states.

2. theraggededge profile image98

Don't fret yourself, Nathan, I don't go near anyone. Neither does my 81 year old mother, who hasn't isolated herself at all apart from a couple of weeks after she broke her heel (in fact, she's started going to bingo again). Neither my sister, her husband, my partner, our kids, our neighbours, or anyone else I know around here.

The NHS in this area, apart from a few restrictions (telephone appointments with GP) is functioning pretty normally. I had a walk-in appointment at the hospital yesterday after speaking to my Dr on Tuesday. My daughter is having her thyroid check-ups and blood tests regularly (she had half her thyroid removed in April). My mother got her foot sorted out. No waiting, no hassle. People are just getting on with life.

I don't see it as 'taking risks'. However, if I catch it, I'm going to catch it. I certainly am not prepared to live like a frightened hermit for the duration. So I walk my dogs, go shopping, go out to eat, see people I want to see, drive where I want to go. Just waiting for my favourite live music venue to be up and running again. Carry a mask with me, just in case, but have only needed it twice since March and both those times were in the hospital.

I've always been a bit blasé. Sorry if it offends you. I call it common sense big_smile

Good. You're enjoying life to the full.                  Go on!

You being blasé doesn’t so much offend me, but the more people who respect social distancing, and take the precautions laid down by the Government, the more we can keep the pandemic under control and reduce a risk of a second wave, and the more lives will be saved:  Just common sense.

I’m not fretting.  I live life normally, except I, my family and friends, do observe the ‘social distancing’ rules and we do wear our masks in enclosed public spaces; not that we have much choice as the shops, banks and NHS in Bristol are very hot on enforcing these rules anyway.

Yes, being blasé about it is taking a risk (albeit a relatively low risk at the moment), as long as we don’t get a second wave.   And if you do get it you may not die yourself (although perfectly healthy and young people, including children, do die from Covid-19), but if you are asymptomatic you could easily, unknowingly and unwittingly pass it onto someone else who does die as a result e.g. your partner, your mother etc.

You may be happy to take that risk, but for a few simple precautions (which is no real hassle) I and my family are not.

Arthur

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)