The 'Uncommitted Vote'! What does it mean for Biden?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (61 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 5 weeks ago

Who’s Defending Democracy Better: Joe Biden or “Uncommitted”? by The New Republic (rated by allsdies as Left) published Mar 15, 2024
    https://newrepublic.com/article/179841/ … gaza-biden

"It’s a little ironic, then, that democracy itself has been such a thorn in Biden’s side this election year. Starting with the Michigan primary, held on February 27, organizers working on shoestring budgets have turned out a sizable protest vote against the White House’s continued support for Israel’s brutal war on Palestine. In Michigan’s Democratic primary, 13.2 percent of participants voted “uncommitted”—a ballot option meaning “none of the above,” used to express discontent with the available options. Some states call it something else, like Massachusetts’ “no preference” option, while others require that voters select a candidate. In many states where voting “uncommitted” or its equivalent is an option, it’s had a strong showing. “Uncommitted” garnered 18.9 percent of Minnesota’s Democratic primary vote share. Twenty-nine percent of participants in Hawaii’s Democratic caucus went with “uncommitted,” as well, along with 9.5 percent of voters in Washington State this past week. As of now, with more primaries to go, three states (Michigan, Minnesota, and Hawaii) will send a total of 20 “uncommitted” delegates to this summer’s Democratic convention in Chicago."

For more pick and choose an article from the following Google landing page.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=fi … +2024#ip=1

What does it mean? Ideas or speculations?

Worth worrying about?

Too early to have any significant impact for the Nov ballot?

Thoughts?

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

I think it means that more people than ever will be holding their noses and voting against a candidate rather than for a candidate. This might also mean a lower voter turnout. I bet a quarter turnout will be lower.

A third-party candidate is likely and their impact could be stronger than Perot's third-party run. I think that's a good thing.

GA

1. tsmog profile image85
        tsmogposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks for commenting, GA!!

Off topic, I just watched three episodes of 'In the Heat of the Night' with Carrol O'connor before writing this. Repeats are on Sunday morning for five hours. They originally were broadcast '88 - '95. Did you watch that show? I think the character of 'Bubba' was the most distinctive of change considering the township of Sparta, Mississippi for the setting.

I thought about O'connor in the days of Archie too. I was teethed on that with the contrast/compare of conservatism and liberalism in my high school days. In other words, I was introduced to something different.

Back to your comment . . . I think Trump is right. Paraphrasing him, "It will be the most important election in history" referring to 2024. But, as you shared with your thoughts, for what?

Holding noses
        Low turnout
        Looking for someone else
        Who knows with what with what is playing out today

Thinking about that show In the Heat of the Night and when it broadcast, '88 - '95 I just checked and Perot ran in '92. Connections or parallels with today. Who knows? Just doing some wandering about.

I remember In the heat of the night and loved all in the family  Humor is a good way to make points no one wants to talk about. Archie was performing a public service and O'Conner did it very well.

GA

2. Ken Burgess profile image77
        Ken Burgessposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

I think the Perot analogy is wishful thinking.

Perot was a billionaire, he paid for his own half hour campaign ad that was seen on TV... where he presented things to viewers in similar fashion to what  Presidents would give back then on TV from time to time.

That's what I remember anyways... in that sense, Trump was kind of a Perot figure in 2016... an outsider candidate that steamrolled and took over the Republican Nomination.  He had his own money to work with to make it happen... like Perot.

RFK would be that type, but he doesn't have the money those two did... and he doesn't have the ability to speak and hold rallies like Trump.

RFK's biggest drawback is his voice (spasmodic dysphonia), its hard to listen to sometimes. Can't imagine him going on a tour like Trump or Obama could.

1. Sharlee01 profile image79
          Sharlee01posted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

Ken, I believe more Americans are becoming increasingly attentive to the issues that directly affect them. Many are scrutinizing the ramifications of the current administration's actions more closely. This election won't simply be about choosing the lesser of two evils; it's about preserving what's left of our country. With two options before us, it's clear that sticking with the status quo, the individual responsible for economic downturns, military conflicts, and the influx of illegal immigrants, isn't a viable choice.

While there may always be a small minority resistant to change, I have faith in the inherent discernment of the American people. We need a leader who can address problems effectively, not someone whose track record proves disastrous. The divisions among voters—whether based on age, gender, or other factors—are secondary to the overarching concern: the state of our nation over the past three years. Ultimately, this will be the deciding factor for most voters.

Americans have learned, and learned very well not to vote for the one they dislike the most --- Biden has taught them well that that strategy did not work so well.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
            Kathryn L Hillposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

~ read the Constitution of the United States, maybe ...

2. GA Anderson profile image89

When faced with a seemingly lost cause, an optimist's go-to retort is a Mr. Spock quote: "There are always possibilities"  ;-)

GA

1. Ken Burgess profile image77

Except Spock has never said that.

"Insufficient facts always invite danger."

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

"Evil does seem to maintain power by suppressing the truth."

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. Where the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."

"An ancestor of mine maintained that if you eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Those particular Spock quotes... seem more fitting to this moment in time.

Damn, now even the Trekkies are lying to me.

GA

We all know Spock was not an optimist.

He was a realist. 

Live long and prosper.

You made me look, again. Does a second-hand quote count?
                  https://hubstatic.com/16961224.jpg

GA

I would say that is grey area...

Someone said he said it.  That doesn't really prove he said it.

Even if he had, perhaps it has been taken out of context.

The full sentence could have been "There are always possibilities that this may end all existence as we know it, and not just our lives."

Nothing in the full sentence portends to be wise or positive.

But if you only take the "There are always possibilities" part of it, then, it makes it appear as if you have some optimism.

Kinda like how you can take the word "Bloodbath" out of context, and make it mean something totally unrelated to what the person who spoke it intended.

2. Sharlee01 profile image79

I can share my VIEW in regards to the uncommitted in Dearborn Michigan.

The uncommitted voters in Michigan primarily consist of Muslim Americans who oppose the conflict in Israel. This community is tightly knit and deeply committed to their faith. For them, this issue is deeply rooted in religion, and as a result, they are likely to abstain from participating in the political process. I have full confidence that they will choose to sit out, considering the significance of this matter to them. I feel the  Michigan Americans who are uncommitted will put faith before their politics.

1. tsmog profile image85
        tsmogposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks for commenting. Great food for thought! I considered generational in that context regarding the middle east situation as well. However, religious is a strong element to consider!

Young Adults' Views on Middle East Changing Most by Gallup Poll (Mar 24, 2023)
        https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/ … nging.aspx

From the article: Bottom Line

"Millennial Democrats’ feelings about the Middle East conflict have changed over the past decade, shifting from solidly in Israel’s corner to now expressing more sympathy toward the Palestinians. While millennials are not the only Democratic generational group moving in this direction, the extent of their more Palestinian-oriented sympathies combined with their growing numbers means they have had a disproportionate influence on the broader pro-Palestinian shift seen on this question among Democrats as a whole."

2. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 5 weeks ago

On the quote, "There always are ... possibilities" Kirk said it in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. However, he stated:

KIRK: Oh, yes we can.
    DAVID: This is just to give us something to do, isn't it? ...Come on.
    SAAVIK: Admiral?
    KIRK: As your teacher Mister Spock is fond of saying, 'I like to think there always are ...possibilities.'
    (Saavik leaves)
    KIRK: I did what you wanted. ...I stayed away. ...Why didn't you tell him?

Script at Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan by Chakoteya
    http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie2.html

Note: Either scroll about 3/4 down the page or use the 'find' feature of your browser. That is what I did looking for 'There always are'.

3. Ken Burgess profile image77
    Ken Burgessposted 5 weeks ago

I guess GA didn't want to take the bait.

Perhaps my Trekkie impersonation was too good?

wink

Hard to imagine we are more divided as a society today than when they were making Star Trek back in the 60s.

Many technological advances that seemed impossible then are a reality today.  Unfortunately, we cannot say the same, it seems, of humanity's advances.

Nope. I didn't and it wasn't.  ;-)

GA

2. Credence2 profile image77
      Credence2posted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

This is something that you have said that I agree with.....

Somebody, please beam me up and hurry?

Technology is part of the reason why we are seeing such disruption and discontentment.

Things like TikTok and Instagram and even X are amplifying echo chambers, are spreading some of the worst incidents out there giving a distorted view sometimes of how the world is.

Many of the problems are manufactured however, flying in hundreds of thousands of migrants with little means of control or support once they get here. 

Bringing those migrants in and then displacing American workers with them.

Choosing to engage Russia over Crimea, refusing to negotiate or force Ukraine to honor the Minsk Agreement first, in an earnest attempt at peace, rather than engage in the antics of "no compromise'... allowing them to suck more countries into NATO which feeds the MIC and makes companies like Raytheon billions in profits.

Choosing to push Equity... not Equal Opportunity... not Equality... Equity, which is another way of saying anyone who is not white, replacing as many white employees as possible.  That isn't EO or Equality... that is Racism.

I obviously could create a very long list of manufactured problems and efforts to create disharmony and distrust... but I think it is self evident.  Gets old beating on the drum.

1. Credence2 profile image77

Conservatives are good with unmitigated fabrications, when cornered in a discussion they simply change the subject.

Do they ever think beyond the surface of any topic? I doubt it. Maybe you might ask why Tyson had gone belly up and why did it fire so many American workers instead of your usual distraction to blame immigrants? You told me that Tyson would go to New York or California (your bogey man States) to find migrants to fill the ranks. Why would Tyson be attracted to this labor source while firing Americans, do such questions ever find a pathway within the gray matter of any conservative?

Your group is against both equity and equality, you are good at confusing some, but I am not of them. In the case of Tyson, why not blame them for firing white employees, do not whites own Tyson?

Conservatives, regardless as to how they identify themselves, are racist, misogynistic tyrants whom I don't want any where near the levers of power in this society. And you can bet that I use every resource I have including the pen toward that end....

1. Sharlee01 profile image79

It appears that you're implying that my group opposes both equity and equality. As for your characterization of conservatives as racist, misogynistic tyrants whom you want nowhere near societal power, it's clear where you stand. Your views on conservatives are noted, saving me the effort of further engagement with you.

I respect your sharing your thoughts without any form of placating. So, don't think me impolite when if I don't respond to any posts you might address to me. At this point, after reading your comment, I will admit, I would need to placate to converse.

Wise people will recognize where things are going and escape NY, CA and other like States... taking with them their resources and assets while they can.

There is no law that will not be twisted, no rule that will not be created or cancelled, this is what Marxist/Communist takeover looks like...CA and NY are done, stay at your peril.

Florida and other States will become havens for those who believe in Freedom, Liberty, the Right to Property and ability to Protect oneself.

People who believe in those things need to migrate to State governments trying to protect them.

Living in places like NY only helps them continue their tyranny and helps pay their efforts... if you don't believe in what you see going on, leave, take your businesses, your assets, your wealth and leave.

2. Credence2 profile image77

This was not addressed to you but to two fellows that endlessly changed the subject when I asked a direct question.

Anti-woke is anti black. I consider the rewrite of history or its whitewash that is being conducted by conservatives as racist. And, yes, many of the same objections and distrust that the Jews have toward Republicans we share and as far as I am concerned they have earned it.

The abortion issue as taken on by the Republican legislatures are draconian and misogynistic in my opinion.

Trump, in his attempt to criminally remain in office by his hand in the phony electors added to the fact that HE said that the first thing that he would do is direct DOJ to investigate Biden is the mark of a tyrant and one who hasn't any concept of the idea "in accordance with the law" Republicans who seem to overwhelmingly support him, his lies and misconceptions are no better.

In the years we have conversed, I provide straight answers even when you just as soon not listen. You Biden bash with the best of them, attack liberals and Democrats daily, yet when I express my dismay regarding the Right, I bring the house down? You have known where I stand for a long time, what else did you expect?

You can choose to run away from my words as I could have easily done in response to your relentless Biden bashing. But my courage and willingness not to speak from both sides of my mouth will be made manifest, if nothing else is gleaned by others in my exchanges with conservatives.

So, why, all of the sudden, am I the ogre?

No... it is not.

That definition is part of the past.  Like how you view America is cemented in the past.

Woke means something entirely different by those who use it to identify what is going on in today's America.

Some believe today's Woke is leading us to something like this:
                https://twitter.com/XVanFleet/status/17 … 3627371821

1. Credence2 profile image77

Ken, I know what it meant in the past and how it used by conservatives, today.. There seems to be a lot of basics regarding America that never seems to change.

For instance, what does A protest in China have to with the definition of woke? You are not just deflecting again are you?

So, am I to believe your definition or the more substantive given by ABC news?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/woke-co … d=93051138

Here is another definition if one is not enough.

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/21/11890160 … ck-culture

Let us take what we agree on, that people who say Woke today are not using it to mean what it stood for decades ago.

Now we have to consider what Woke stands for today... I would say it is a term used to identify or label the most extreme Progressive movements of the day.

IE -
                    Biden's EO giving protective status to Transgenders.
                    Crimes no longer being punishable in cities.
                    72 different sexes
                    MAPs normalized

In other words, things that would have been labeled insane or illegal not even ten years ago.

That is what I consider Woke... the only part of any of it that could even potentially be labeled as relating to race is Biden's EOs and Administrative regulations pushed throughout the Federal government to promote Equity.

Now what is going on in CA and NY as well as a few other states, goes beyond that into Socialist, Communist territory. 

Which today results in this:
                    https://twitter.com/sues86453/status/17 … 0433515623

There are a few stories like that going around about NY squatters.

You also get NY Subways looking like this.

https://hubstatic.com/16964592.jpg

And of course an out of control Banana Republic NY Justice System
                    https://twitter.com/Jules31415/status/1 … 1121921490

I know how bad NY is for working stiffs, I had the misfortune of spending a decade living there. 

If not for my years traveling the country, and outside the country, I might have never known how oppressive a State NY is, for average working stiffs, who pay all the taxes, where the laws are stacked against them.

Getting free from NY was like being given a new lease on life... I think a lot of people stay in NY simply because they don't realize how much better off they could be if they left it.  Many people assume things are pretty much the same wherever you go... nothing could be further from the truth, but only stepping out of what you know and taking risks will ever make you realize it.

2. Willowarbor profile image60
          Willowarborposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

"Many of the problems are manufactured however, flying in hundreds of thousands of migrants with little means of control or support once they get here. '

Proof?

We didn't "engage" Russia over Crimea
          and they also violated the Minsk agreement.

Who is behind the grand scheme of replacing all white workers?  Why exactly do they want to replace white workers?

Really so much disinformation in one post.

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 5 weeks ago

It means they got it out of their system and will now vote for Biden.

It's their future. They are not going to trust it to a Trump.

5. Credence2 profile image77
    Credence2posted 5 weeks ago

Here is a little more....

Among Trump supporters:

51 percent say: “Public schools should be required to teach civic education that emphasizes patriotism and deemphasizes any negative aspects of our nation’s history.”

50 percent say: “Laws should be enacted requiring citizens to show respect for national symbols and leaders.

45 percent say: “A law should be enacted that limits protests and demonstrations deemed by the government to be potentially disruptive to public order.

”41 percent favor “Red” states “seceding from the union to form their own separate country.

”37 percent say: “The President should be given the authority to disregard Congress in decisions related to national security.

37 percent say: “Laws should be enacted to limit the expression of views considered unpatriotic or disloyal.

”31 percent say: “Democracy is no longer a viable system and America should explore alternative forms of government to ensure stability and progress.

31 percent say: “The ends justify the means, and any action taken by my preferred political party is acceptable if it achieves our goals.

”30 percent say: “Elections should be suspended during times of crisis.”

To be fair, there are lesser numbers of Biden supporters who agree with these unpatriotic ideas, but there exists absolutely no threat that the Democratic Party will act on any of them.

In contrast, there is a clear and present danger that Trump and other MAGA leaders will use grassroots fury to tear down our constitution-based democracy. Defeating Trump is just the most urgent priority. In the longer term, we must defeat MAGA.

(That is a big 10-4 for me)

6. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 weeks ago

Ken: " when one's government goes through exhaustive efforts to limit what its citizens know."

This comment cannot go unchallenged.

The example you cited is no more than your opinion. You did list two sources that certainly are not main stream media, but then you can find anything on the internet.

The Sunday Guardian is an Indian newspaper. Couldn't find a review.

“Overall, we rate Consortium News Left Biased based on story selection and advocacy that strongly favors the left. We also rate them as Mostly Factual in reporting due to one-sided opinion-based reporting that is difficult to verify. (D. Van Zandt 11/3/2016) (M. Allen 6/3/17) Updated (10/25/2023)”  Mediafactcheck.com

Tell me this. Would you rather our sons and daughters go fight the Russians? Because if they are not stopped in Ukraine, that is what will happen.

Ken Burgessposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

And where have you picked up this OPINION from?

How much propaganda have you consumed to come up with the belief that if we did not support Ukraine with hundreds of billions of dollars in funds and weapons we would be fighting Russians ourselves?

What right does America have to interfere with Russia and Ukraine, or try to interfere with Russian elections, or try to cause a coup and oust Putin?

What makes you believe that we can continue to escalate the conflict with Russia, sending longer ranged missiles, allowing attacks repeatedly on Moscow, funding Ukraine which would have lost the war already if not for our interference... and NOT send American 'sons and daughters to go fight the Russians'?

Contrary to what the propaganda you consume tells you, our actions are not preventing us sending American troops to go fight Russians, they are ENSURING that WWIII occurs and that Americans ARE sent to go die.

This has always been the reality... clearly we are dealing with an American populace and Administration that is more disconnected from reality than at any time since I have been alive... but the truth, the reality, has always been that Ukraine could not defeat Russia on its own... in order for it to win, America itself would have to fight the war.

It was always an insane proposition brought on by an insane, corrupt, greedy, arrogant Administration unlike any that has had control of our government before.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)