Is lashing a more Humane way to deal with Women who committ Adultery

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (56 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image62
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

The son of an Iranian woman who faces death by stoning for adultery said authorities have imposed a new sentence of 99 lashes.

1. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What about the man who committed adultery with her?  It takes two to tango.

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What about innocent until proven guilty? Here's a novel concept... What about it's their own personal business?

Sheesh. And they wonder why the muslims or islamists or whatever the heck they call themselves have a bad reputation.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which can lead to her death through infection, shock, and blood loss.  I really see no difference here.  This barbaric philosophy of theirs really saddens my heart.  My prayers go out to her.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why don't the so-called Muslims who are in America and other countries go to Iran and live THERE and FIGHT politically or literally for the human rights of that woman and others, instead of bringing the nonsense and terror here and to other God-fearing nations?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's right! We prefer home-grown, God-fearing nonsense and terror.

2. Sylvie Strong profile image61
        Sylvie Strongposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is really a remarkable post.  The 2-7 million American muslims, or "so-called" muslims as you call it, should get on planes and go to Islamic theocracies to fight for justice?  They should do that rather than spreading terror and nonsense here? 

I don't know where to begin.  What terror and "nonsense" are 2-7 million American muslims guilty of?  Is that the exercise of their faith, trying to raise their families, operating businesses or working at jobs in order to secure a retirement or better future for their children, participating in our political process?  Which of these activities is terrorism in your mind?  Why should Americans do anything other than the activities I've enumerated?  Are you also going to move to another country and fight for justice, or are you going to stay here and live your life?

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
          IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am curious as to why Brenda is choosing to ignore your post. 

I would really like to know their answers to your very direct questions ask of them. 

Brenda, what's the deal?  Too hot in the kitchen?

3. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You tell 'em Brenda!

http://www.salemwitchmuseum.com/tour/images/site16.jpg

4. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why "punish" at all for that which comes naturally to all mammals?
      We are here to propagate. To replenish the species.
      Chemistry and hormones are in contol.
      Only a conscious semi-intelligent creature that could create metaphysical monsters like monotheistic god things would consider punishing for an act that is a powerfully programmed genetic act necessary to insure mammalian survival.
      Comments?
      I hope so.

2. LaMamaLoli profile image61
    LaMamaLoliposted 13 years ago

It's not a muslim thing though is it? I didn't think all muslim countries did it - just particular ones. Maybe I'm wrong... Whatever the case, it's wrong.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They don't do it in Detroit! (Stoning or lashing, that is.)

Unless the Pistons win the NBA title, in which case many stones are cast..

3. theirishobserver. profile image62

Lashes in 2010 - I dont know sad

4. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Is anything being done to prevent this from happening? Are signatures being collected?
    If you haven't seen the film The Stoning of Soraya M. You need to see it. It's a real story - sad, but it's part of the daily life of women who live in remote areas of Iran.

1. Wendy Krick profile image64
      Wendy Krickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That was an incredibly sad movie. It was very heavy.

5. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

umm... is lashing more humane than stoning?

... yeah?

What a ridiculous question!!!

What's more humane, torturing someone to death, or just beating the crap out of someone?

how bout this one: letting the people be free to make their own decisions and not relying on violence to influence human behavior.

That sounds pretty humane to me!

6. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Not a rediculous question!

What is ridiculous is that it is 2010 and this type of barbaric justice, if you can call it justice, is still practiced in some cultures.

7. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
    Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years ago

What about the prisons in the U.S.A? I think there is nothing barbaric about the Law governing the land as long as it has the consensus of the population.

1. qwark profile image60

Rajab: The I think you'd better get a better understanding of the world barbaric.
      Much of mankind lives as it did 6000 yrs ago. BArbarism is still rife amongst the majority of humanity.
      Just because the "majority" agrees, does not make a punishment NOT barbaric.
      We humans are a violent lot. It's programming is deeply imbued in our predatory ilk.
      Contemporary humanity IS barbarically involved in it's own demise!

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"Is lashing a more Humane way to deal with Women who committ Adultery"

How about closing this thread?

9. K Kiss profile image58
    K Kissposted 13 years ago

Alright people, before we get started with blaming Islam as a religion as a whole on the basis of whatever little knowledge many have over the religion ... you should know a number of things about the religion and the punishments it imposes.
    First of all, Islam originally imposed the punishment of "death by stoning" on those who committed adultery. Prima facie it may seem too harsh and raise the all too common question of trials etc.
    Let me clarify that though the punishment is indeed a part of the religion, so is the existence of 4 eye witnesses to the act (that is the act of adultery). This punishment falls under what in Islamic law is known as Hadd punishments which means punishments for crimes against God. One of the main offenses under Hadd is Zina which means adultery. However,very high demands are made with regard to evidence on zina. Four witnesses are required instead of the normal two, and they must testify as eyewitnesses to ‘unlawful intercourse’. Correspondingly, a confession of unlawful intercourse for hadd punishment must be made on four separate occasions.   

And yes both men and women suffer the same verdict.

Sooooooo no punishment for voyeurism?  In fact it may entitle you to witness fees.

1. K Kiss profile image58
        K Kissposted 13 years agoin reply to this

exactly my point Ron... It's not everyday that 4 sane human beings will find themselves to be witnessing two other "non-married to each other" couple fornicating... that is why the test is very difficult to pass and Islam originally meant this to be dealt by God in the after life since finding such witnesses would indeed be a rare find...unless of course the participant(s) themselves confessed on 4 separate occasions.
        Regarding voyeurism...I need to look up whether there are any worldly punishments prescribed...However, I do know that in Islam, it is haram for a man or woman to look upon indecent activities...and they will be punished in the afterlife.

You're calling my local peeping Toms club insane? mad

Don't forget masturbation! Ten lashes perhaps?

(I don't mean to make light of this topic. It's a serious issue, a symptom of the preoccupation with sexuality on the part of fundamentalist fanatics in many religions. Muslim fanatics may be the worst, but Christian and Jewish fundamentalists suffer from the same malady.)

2. qwark profile image60

What's your point?
      That a person should be demonized and destroyed for performing a perfectly natural act i.e procreation, which this fictitious god/allah thing alledgedly created,as a necessity, within the very "genes" of its alledgedly created children?
      What is wrong with you weak minded, primitive, short sighted, unevolved human beings who hope for and dream about god things, witches, goblins, wizards and other metaphysical entities in the hope that they may "bless" your "idiocy" with eternal love and immortality?
      The majority of human life is INSANE.

3. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Even if that was a justification for deliberately meting out a prolonged and agonizing death (Iran's penal code specifically forbids using stones large enough to finish the job in one or two blows), that's not what happened here. She was convicted and sentenced under Iran's "judge's knowledge" rule that allows judges to sentence a person to death even in cases which otherwise have no conclusive evidence for a conviction.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ju … h-penalty]

10. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Lashing for adultery? Irrational, pathetic, moronic, foolish, ridiculous and many other words work.

However, humane isn't one of them.

11. theirishobserver. profile image62

Would Tiger Woods get lashed sad

1. K Kiss profile image58
      K Kissposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why would it hurt? tongue

12. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

Is lashing more humane than stoning her to death? Yeah, of course.

Does either punishment have any place in a civilized society? Absolutely not.

Compounding the horror is the fact that it's being meted out for adultery, which has no business being a crime punishable by law at all, let alone punishable by death, and the fact that she did not commit adultery in the first place. The supposed relationships (if they actually occurred at all) took place after her husband was already dead.

13. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

If anyone is an expert in Iranian law, I was wondering if you could tell me what's the penalty is for having a married man stick his tongue in your ear while you let him pull your hand toward his hard ahmadinejad?

http://www.iranian.com/Times/Subs/Revolution/Feb99/Images/arafat.jpg

Ha! Ha! Pretty good!

14. Ben Evans profile image64
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

The way I understand it is that the alleged lashes were for "not covering the hair."  There is no confirmation from what I read as to if this has actually happened.  The death sentence still stands from what I read.  Anyone please feel free to correct me I am wrong because I just gave it a quick perusal.

In reference to the question, I guess 99 lashes would be more humane than being stoned to death.  This is just on a comparative degree.  As others have said neither is humane.

Just thinking about it is sickening.  Those are awful punishments and appear extremely hateful.  It would be nice if we could do something but Iran unfortunately is not keen on listening to us.

15. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

It is wrong. Very wrong!

You have to think about one thing though. These people are stuck in ancient times. In the bible days, that was the norm with almost the entire world. They feel it is the law. It wasn't just "Bible people" who did this. It was the entire world. They had harsh laws!

It doesn't make it less cruel, it is still horrible! I think they should stand up against such cruelty...but they wont. They believe it is normal! Just as we think it is normal to go to prison if you steal something.

I don't know why they are stuck in ancient history times. One would think they would have changed over time.

16. profile image0

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n56/shannonhmt/My%20Art/Lorena.jpg
    Good thing I wasn't born in the middle east. I would have gone Lorena Bobbit on them long time ago.

17. Greek One profile image63

Later that night, the Mullah talk his let his young apprentice  practice his stone throwing technique using his testicles

http://www.thepeoplescube.com/images/images_working/muslimleaders/Iran_Mullah_kisses_boy.jpg

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gross!

18. Greek One profile image63

"So what are you plans for after the beheading?"

"I don't know, I was just going to lay low"

"Cool, what if I come by at about 11 pm tonight so we could play hide the shawarma?"

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cBfazbcF0aaN/610x.jpg

1. profile image0

hehehehe... stop it! This is hilarious! lol lol lol

19. Greek One profile image63

If you get any closer, my Tehran is going to accidentally slip into your Caracas

http://votingfemale.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/iran-ahmadinejad-chavez-gay.jpg?w=500&h=386

1. profile image0

Can't tell which one is uglier! I shiver!!! Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! My EYES!!!

20. Greek One profile image63

You're speech on how we should stone homosexuals really made my horny Mr. President!

http://jasonjeffrey.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/gay_ahmadinejad.jpg?w=397&h=296

21. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

You realize this is a tradition in their country! It is like us shaking hands! Again, this goes back to ancient times! They greet each other with a hug/kiss on the lips. It's not meant as sexual. It is merely greeting.

It's still funny!

1. profile image0

But if you are a man and your sexuality is a little shaky and you go around kissing other men in the lips, you begin to get other ideas. Don't you think? And then... They whip ya!

1. Greek One profile image63

or they whip it out

2. libby101a profile image61
        libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess if their sexuality is shaky then yes they would enjoy it. LOL. I'm sure this does happen from time to time.

2. Greek One profile image63

True cultural fact:... they also tickle the other person testicles very quickly and gently (nothing sexual mind you, just a way to say "Hey there, nice to see you again!")

1. libby101a profile image61
        libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL

1. profile image0

If that were true, Greek would have already moved there!

22. Greek One profile image63

I would be a professional greeter

1. profile image0

I bet you'd get great tips!

23. Greek One profile image63

"Come on, let me say 'Hello!' to you just one more time!"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6Jg28bvpOzM/SztlJmwsUJI/AAAAAAAABrs/6skdsai-YhM/s400/ahmadinejad-evomorales.jpg

24. profile image0

Hahahaha... that's the little man! Evo Morales! LOL

25. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Nice threesome!
    Where can I find the video? (hubba hubba)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)