My nephew was murdered in the Philippines yesterday

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 88 discussions (118 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

My nephew was murdered yesterday but there seem to be a bit of a mystery surrounding his death. The news largely repeat the same story like this http://news.stv.tv/scotland/195988-aber … boyfriend/ but read the comment at the bottom. Plus John's Facebook page said he was engaged to a girl in Thailand where he was living, so why would he go looking for love in the Phillipines? He named the girl he was engaged to, and this Filipino has a different name so its not the same one.
    Anyone from the Phillipines care to keep me updated on the local news? ie has she come out of her coma, or is the boyfriend captured?

1. richtwf profile image59
      richtwfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only just recently eight citizens from Hong Kong died tragically in the Philippines, and that why I picked up on your post. I'm sorry I can't give you any information but please accept my deepest condolences.

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So sorry Izzy. sad

3. LillyGrillzit profile image78
      LillyGrillzitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i am sorry for this tragic loss, I hope you solve the mystery...

4. Precious Pearl profile image75
      Precious Pearlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry for your loss.

5. Hyphenbird profile image81
      Hyphenbirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, I am not in the position to give you information. I just wanted to offer you my heartfelt sympathy and let you know that I sorrow with you. Losing a family member in such a manner is a pain that many will (thankfully) never know.

2. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Izzy, that's terrible, I'm so sorry to hear this.  It sounds as if the woman and the man was trying to fool your nephew and the guy went berserk.

3. richtwf profile image59
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

I read your link to the story about your nephew and can relate to him well. I too was in the Navy (Royal) and I also travelled to the Far East once to meet someone but nothing came of the relationship. I hope that this deeply upsetting and unfortunate incident is resolved swiftly so that you and your family can find inner peace.

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thankyou both Flightkeeper and Richtwf. I found a new newspaper story on it and it does indeed look even more suspiciously like a set up now. The guy who stabbed him also took his wallet.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott … -22543321/
    I didn't know his fiancee was Spanish till I read this - well Mexicana, but he met her in Spain according to a comment at the foot of the page.
    I am 2000 miles away from my family, I have to find out what is happening online.

5. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Oh Izzy, I am so sorry to hear this. You and your family are in my thoughts.

1. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

May God help you in this crisis

6. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

So sorry Izzy for you and the rest of your family. I notice that a 'friend' has left a comment on the link to say the report is not accurate.

It is so sad what has happend.

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks all of you. When the coroner releases his body  I will need to look for flights myself to attend his funeral, but I really would appreciate if someone local could email me when there is a local update - like when they charge the perpetrator etc. News filters through very slowly to me.

8. CMHypno profile image81
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Hi Izzy, have you tried contacting the British Consulate in the Philippines, as they may be able to get you some information?

So sorry this has happened, and my thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

9. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks Hypno, but his mother is dealing with all that. I'm waiting for my other nephew sending me her email address so that I can be in direct contact with her. The poor woman must be shattered but it's a bit difficult for me to step in as family contact when I too am abroad.

10. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Izzy found this report for you to read ( it includes a comment by his step dad about the story not sounding accurate)and there is a report on Mail on line (world news) - but that is still similar to the one you provide the link for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n … d-11210508

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks 2usday. In that photo he is the spitting image of his Dad (my brother) who died a few years ago. Yes it just gets curioser and curioser. Even his step-dad fails to mention that the company he worked for had an office in Manila, very close to where he died. He may well have been there on company business (merchant navy).

Thanks Pisean too for you thoughts..

11. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

i am sorry to hear this..i dont have words to express...

1. sofs profile image78
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Izzy , sorry to hear this, I pray that God himself gives you that strength to get through such a difficult time as this.

12. adrienne2 profile image67
    adrienne2posted 13 years ago

Izzy I am so sorry to hear of your lost. My prayers go out to you.

13. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks Sofs and Adrienne smile

14. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Izzy, I echo the sentiments expressed already.  This is heartbreaking, and I am so sorry for all of you.  I hope and pray that the truth will come out soon and that the perpetrator will be charged.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

15. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Oh Izzy, I am so sorry for you and your family... And yes, it sounds suspicious...

16. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 13 years ago

Izzy, I don't know what to say. and in my country too sad. Really sorry this happened to your nephew. I'm trying to search for the local news but haven't found anything yet.

17. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

After reading the unreliable news reports, I have one big question:  Where did the local police get the "information" that they used to put their theories together?  From the girl who is fighting for her life?  And why would they even consider her to be trustworthy, given the fact that she supposedly introduced her fiance as her brother (thus clearly admitting to being a liar)?

1. IzzyM profile image87

We cross posted!
      Yes I would like to know who gave the information to the police? I am uncertain at this point how seriously injured the girl is, and do not know if she was conscious enough to tell the police that story.

18. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks for everybody's best wishes. I've just received an email from a UK national newspaper wanting to me to keep them informed if anything new transpires. They, too, think it suspicious. Well yes it was a murder, but the story doesn't ring true.

Emievil yes please do let me know if you hear of anything at all.

19. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Oh Izzy, am sorry to hear this, been looking at local news there, can't found any except the many UK newspaper versions, I got one but it is in Filipino language news, and the name is  John Lorne McDonald, British national, 28-anyos (28 years old). Translating it, it is the same news version with the other UK newspapers online too. Sounds fishy too, http://www.remate.ph/?p=1992. Another one in English version but then it is almost the same content with the UK news online versions -- http://story.philippinetimes.com/index. … 1762/cs/1/

I'll keep on looking for news at various local newspaper online and will update if I can find some more. Emievil will update  too as she is there.

20. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thank you very much PrettyDarkHorse smile
    The other thing I was looking up was Facebook. I found (and befriended) his fiancee. That then allowed me to look at her recent posts, and she hasn't mentioned him yet although his photos are all over her site and just the other day someone Spanish speaking sent her a link for wedding dresses.
    What's got me intrigued is that she made friends with a NancyMac just a couple of weeks ago. This NancyMac has no friends in common with her. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1248842307

Can anyone tell me if the friends of Nancy Mac place her in any specific country? A lot of her friends names are Spanish names (so she may be Mexicana) but could they be Filipino names?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that sounds something to look into and Filipino names sounds like Spanish names, but I doubt these ones, they are Mexican names to me.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks for that Maita, I feel better now. I'd never make a detective anyway!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
          prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's the start Izzy, smile. Intuition makes far for a great detective, I wish something comes along, keep us updated and I will scour for local development news there about this.

21. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I've just received  confirmation from the journalist who contacted me, that he was in Manila because his ship was there!
    Its been a street mugging...

22. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Izzy,

Please accept my condolences. I'm saddened to hear about this. sad

23. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I am so very sorry, IzzyM.  What a terrible tragedy, as well as a horrible, confusing mystery.

24. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks Cags, Lorlie and Sandra.
    It could have happened anywhere in the world. It just so happened that it happened in Manila but its just of those things.
    I just feel so much for my elderly mum and dad who have now lost both their sons and a grandson. And of course for my sister-in-law who is now going through a personal Hell on earth that you'd never wish on your worst enemy. And she is such a gentle soul too.

And of course I must say a word here for his real fiancee, who must be shattered at the world press reports of her partner's supposed infidelity, which turns out to be completely unfounded.

Anyway...enough maudling...anyone heard how the girl is? the one that got stabbed?

25. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Just got in on this thread.  Very sorry to hear what is going on.  My condolences.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thank you sweetheart :
      Your condolences are appreciated, I will pass them on smile

26. bayoulady profile image68
    bayouladyposted 13 years ago

So very sorry for your loss!So you just found out it was actually a street mugger.Possibly the "sources" the reporter quoted as telling them this lie are involved in a cover-up.

1. IzzyM profile image87

No the world news reporters listened to the police. Maybe the police got it wrong? I don't know.
      A reporter from a national newspaper found out his ship was there, so he went there to join his ship, not to meet some floozy from an internet dating site.
      I did say "so its been a street mugging" but the dot dot dots at the end were meant to represent suggestion, not fact.
      <sigh>
      OK it has *probably* been a street mugging, but its not been clarified.

27. EatLovePray profile image60
    EatLovePrayposted 13 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

28. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry your family is going through this tragedy now! It's just not fair......I pray they find the information needed to get to the bottom of this!

1. Glenn Raymond profile image59
      Glenn Raymondposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Izzy,

This is such a tragic time for your family.  Please accept my very Sincere Sympathy.  If you ever need to just bend an ear, please feel free to e-mail me, my wife truly understands when it comes to this type of thing.  You are all in our prayers.

29. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Izzy
    I am so sorry that you and your family are dealing with such tragedy. I wish I could offer some more info that might help ease your mind. Please accept my condolences.

30. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

What a tragedy!  My condolences for your loss, Izzy.  You and your family are in my thoughts.  I hope that you get definitive answers soon.

31. katiem2 profile image61
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

Izzy, I'm so sorry for your loss and all the confusion surrounding it.  I'll pray for clarity and answers.  Again, So sorry for you and your families loss.

32. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thank you everybody for your kind words smile
    Tomorrow I'll get back to writing; I'm in the middle of a challenge, but I just couldn't focus today. I'm upset,yes, but I'm not shattered like his mother, brother and fiancee will be. I just hope they can take some comfort in knowing that he didn't die for something as stupid as "meeting a bride on the internet" rubbish the papers were putting out.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Arrived late to this thread.  ((((Hugs)))) to you, Izzy.  It's a relief to know the "mystery" has been cleared up at least.

33. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, Izzy. Glad you're starting to get some better answers.  I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

34. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks KCC smile

35. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

I am sorry to hear about that, Izzy.

My sincere condolences, hun.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thank you : )

36. profile image0
    cosetteposted 13 years ago

sad i'm so sorry Izzy. he seemed like a fine young man. my condolences to you and your family sad

37. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks Marisa. Can't believe it is only been 24 hours since I first posted about it. I asked for someone in Perth, Australia to update me. (my mother had phoned and said it had happened in Perth) Then I found the story of his death and how it had happened in the Philippines. And I didn't believe how they said it happened.
    Maybe tomorrow, the papers will publish something new on it, though won't hold my breathe. It's old news now, you see. But the nightmare has just started for the family.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yikes, sorry to hear this Izzy.  Here's hoping that at least you and your family get to find out what actually happened.   

Makes you wonder if anything that's published in the newspapers bears more than a passing resemblance to the truth.

38. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks Cosette smile

39. Wendy Krick profile image63
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

Izzy I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. God Bless.

40. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

my goodness, Izzy, so very sorry to hear this. I offer my condolences and love. {{hugs}}

41. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 13 years ago

I am so sorry, I have been to the country before and I can't even imagine.  I will pray you find peace.

42. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

This is tragic, Izzy.  My deepest condolences to you and your family.  Peace and light.

43. PR_am profile image60
    PR_amposted 13 years ago

So sorry to hear this. Please accept my deepest condolences

44. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Very sorry to see this Izzy. sad

I hope you hear what you need to about this..
    How Sad.

Chin up.

45. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

sad Sorry for your loss.

46. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 13 years ago

Izzy I'm really sorry. I can't find anything other than the local news stating pretty much the same thing as what you posted. I'll keep looking but I'm not really sure there will be anything more.

I did remember that there was a news item about an aircraft carrier landing in Manila the other week, I was just wondering if your nephew was among those on board that carrier.

47. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Izzy, I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine how it must feel to lose someone to a murder with suspicious circumstances. I hope you get some answers soon so that you can grieve. Sending my prayers and anything else good your way!

48. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks everybody for your best wishes.
    There was an update n the papers today (I read them online) http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott … -22545508/

Quote: "An aunt writing online said: "It looks to me that he has been a victim of a street mugging or similar. All this talk about love on the internet is either lies by her, or is made up.""

What I actually said was "It looks to me that he has been a victim of a street mugging or similar. All this talk about love on the internet is either fabricated lies by her, or is made up to sell a news story." and I said this in the comments section of the page for all to see.

I love how they quote to suit themselves! lol

I still haven't heard how she is. Anyone? Whatever the circumstances, I don't want her to die too.

1. profile image53
      SHallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Izzy,

I'm a good friend of John's and kept in regular touch with him despite both travelling around a bit for work.

This woman from the Philippines, who no-one has heard of, is ok.  We are hoping she gets interviewed tomorrow as this is really suspicious.  As you'll be aware now, he has been engaged to Michelle for a long time, was as happy as i've seen him (and I go back 20 years with him), and was looking forward to marrying her next year after she finished college.

From some forums I have read from expats who live in the Philippines, this is a common occurence.  As soon as a Westener is killed, they relate it to a love triangle where the Westener has travelled across the world to buy his bride, to try and explain the story and get it over and done with.

I've talked to papers as well and you never get your whole statements printed, which leaves you wary about what you can say to them.  At the end of the day, tabloids are there to be sold.  The better, the story, the more they sell  It's unfortunate, and at times, disgusting.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks for making the effort to join Hubpages so you could comment to me. I'm gad John had friends like you smile
        I'm also of the belief that the story was made up and it must be so hurtful to Michelle, who I have never met by the way.
        I think I'll take this to email if no-one else minds. If I find your email box is shut, I'd appreciate if you email me through the contact on my profile smile

49. clintonb profile image60
    clintonbposted 13 years ago

Izzy, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. My best wishes are with you that the person gets brought to justice, and that the story is told correctly.

50. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Sorry to hear about that, Izzy - our thoughts are with you and your family.

It looks like the Daily Record hasn't improved since I lived in Scotland - it is best used for lining kitty litter trays.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)