Tucson aftermath: Another bizarre reaction!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Why is this news? Why would a Christian church even consider picketing the funeral of 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green? Why would they only do so in exchange for radio airtime? This is a Christian Church??? Crazy!!! Sacrilege?

Westboro Baptist Church agrees to not protest slain child's funeral

The Associated Press
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011; 6:25 PM

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A Kansas church known for picketing the funerals of slain servicemen and blaming their deaths on the country's tolerance of homosexuality won't protest at the funerals of any victims of the shooting rampage in Tucson, Ariz.

Shirley Phelps-Roper of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka says her church has agreed to avoid Thursday's funeral of 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green in exchange for live interviews on radio shows in Canada and Arizona.

The church also promised to not protest the Friday funeral of U.S. District Judge John Roll or other shooting victims after a nationally syndicated radio show agreed to host church members.

Christina and Roll were among six killed in the shooting Saturday targeting Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Westboro church members picket high-profile funerals to promote their beliefs.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those people make me sick. Literally.

1. Julie2 profile image60
        Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Makes you wonder doesn't it? SMH,
        I just don't understand it anymore.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image85
        oceansnsunsetsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think these people make everyone sick, outside of their small truly radical belief group.  I don't know of a single person that would support this kind of thing.

1. habee profile image92

Nor do I!

2. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

They aren't a church at least no in my mind! They are an evil and sick group of people who hate gays and their tactic for getting attention is to picket with their hateful signs at military funerals! They saw this as an opportunity to get their message of hate out. There is nothing "christian" about these people.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen! Something we can agree on.

1. lady_love158 profile image61
          lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not completely unreasonable! LOL

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The nutjobs at Wesboro Baptist church are an embarrassment to other Baptists and to Christianity.

1. Connie Smith profile image82
        Connie Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are not Baptists and they are not Christians, Ralph.  No Baptists or Christians I know would ever act this way.  The devil has definitely gotten into this group!

Amen Connie! smile

2. AlexK2009 profile image84
          AlexK2009posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I figured once that if there WERE any satanists around they  would disguise them selves as an extreme and lunatic Christian group (in the West at any case) which would give them the chance to do the devil's work and also discredit the Christian church.

4. AlexK2009 profile image84
      AlexK2009posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It seems to me these people have more  in common with Islamic radicals than with anyone who can reasonably be described as Christian.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Oh well how nice of them to not picket these funerals, for radio airtime. Charming

3. Jim Hunter profile image59
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

They are unlike any Christians I know.

But go ahead with the Christian bashing, its popular.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well now that I have your permission.... big_smile

Actually that kinda robbed all the joy out of it Jim tongue
      Darned you! mad

4. TahoeDoc profile image79
    TahoeDocposted 13 years ago

Many members of the church are also members of the Phelps family. Several have law degrees. In addition to being religious loony-toons, they also seem to provoke people on purpose. They have won several lawsuits against people who they claimed violated their right to free speech and free demonstration. I think they won one or at least sued once because a community did not provide enough security or police protection for them while they carried out their vile agenda.

Oh, and if you want to see for youreself what these pigs are all about, you can go to their website at www.godhatesfags.com

That's right, that's their website. Prepare to be disgusted.

TahoeDoc, thanks for sharing. As for the website, OMG! unbelievable...

Don't you just love how people hide behind freedom of speech as an excuse to bully and belittle others? They just keep spreading hate in the name of God. BRAVO! They are a bunch of ignorant jackass', a bunch of brain washers.

They sure as hell don't know what it's like to have love for a fellow human being. They are nothing but a CULT. To think that these are people who believe they will be the first to be welcomed into heaven with open arms, ughhh.

Oh my, sorry for venting like this.... I just can't....

5. profile image57
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

MM, their reaction isn't bizarre it's quite normal for them. I'll admit their behavior is bizarre and repugnant. They have been doing this for years.

6. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

I read recently that Fred and several other family members are lawyers, and they protest hoping that someone will assault them somehow so they can sue.

Lawsuit judgments and donations from bigots is probably how they support themselves.

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's true, they get their children to throw rocks at you too. I was hit on a Patriot Guard ride a couple of years ago.

7. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

It's good to hear hubbers from all sides agreeing on this!
    Well, except Jim, who seems to think asking an open-ended question is Christian bashing.
    If this group's actions are Christian, then yes, denouncing them would be Christian bashing.
    But neither is true.

8. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

These people are Baptist in name only. They have no connection to any Baptist churches in your hometown. It is not uncommon for fringe groups to have names that identify themselves as part of a more well-known religion, even when there is no connection.

1. habee profile image92

Thanks for that info, DB!

9. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Whatever name they give themselves or religion or church they claim to represent - they are in fact publicity seeking self centred uncaring morons who are not fit to be spat on by those attending the service.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen, to H with them, LOL

10. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

http://dsc.discovery.com/earth/slideshows/snakes/circus-act-625x450.jpg

snake handlers are the only true Christians.

1. habee profile image92

Are those rattlesnakes? The real crischuns handle rattlers - at least here in the South.

Note: I'm not making fun of Christians - I are one. lol. But handling venomous snakes as part of a church ritual?? Come on! My mom was the county health nurse for 35 years, and she saw several innocent kids who were bitten in these services.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only the heretics and heathens get bitten.  What are you gonna do?  It's God's will.

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah the snake-handling churches are both silly and dangerous.  They literally wave snakes around while the Westboro "Church" symbolically wave 'em around.
        But, to be fair, the Westboro group has the right to do so, since atheists and others wave their advocacy of immorality and perversion and baby-killing around in an attempt to make everyone else condone it legally and literally.
        Fair isn't always right.
        I wonder if the Left really wants "Fair".  I don't think so.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well...they are a church so...

11. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

These are the same a-holes that show up at various gay pride events preaching their whole fire and brimstone garbage. They claim that they are going to protest even more now that the "don't ask don't tell" ban is about to be lifted. I hope whomever gives them radio time comes on the air after they are through and chews them a new one. An open call in during their air time would be interesting.

I couldn't believe it when I heard that they were protesting at people's funerals. Don't the families of the people who are losing their love ones have enough sorrow on their hands? What on earth do these morons hope to accomplish by doing this?

I say round them up and throw them in jail. If they were doing the same thing in front of a Walmart store, or at the mall, they would all be arrested for demonstrating on private property. What a bunch of BS.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)