jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (142 posts)

Wow. Did you see this poll?

1. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

In yesterday's poll, Obama and Huckabee tied. I'm surprised!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls … elections/

1. earnestshub profile image89
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is a great Poll Habee. The rest of it is interesting reading as well I reckon. smile

2. kerryg profile image86
      kerrygposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Huckabee just got caught on tape supporting religious indoctrination at gunpoint, so it will be interesting to see how long that lasts lol

http://community.livejournal.com/ontd_p … 76700.html

1. habee profile image90
        habeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's not exactly what Huck meant. He said, JOKINGLY, that every American should be forced to listen to David Barton. The audience knew it was a joke - hence the laughter.

I like Mike, but I wish he wasn't so far right socially.

1. donotfear profile image91
          donotfearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I like Huck too.   He was my Mom's pastor for years when he pastored Beech St.First Baptist in Texarkana. I heard him preach a few times, most recently a few years back for the 100th anniversery of Beech St. I remember when he started the ACTS television ministry channel.  It is still going strong in the Arklatex.  My sister supports him somewhat, but really likes the fact he supports the arts. Regardless, despite what everyone else says, I think he could get elected, BUT most folks are scared that he's too religious.

1. bgamall profile image84
            bgamallposted 6 years ago in reply to this

He is an idiot. He uses religion to make money and that is wrong.

1. profile image52
              ShortStoryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Why do you think he's an idiot?

2. DTR0005 profile image86
        DTR0005posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Open mouth, insert foot or some other apendage..

3. DTR0005 profile image86
      DTR0005posted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is very telling...
      I am publicly proclaiming my support for Sarah Palin on the GOP ticket!!!!!
      In fact, sign me up - I will sing her praises and even donate money to her campaign...

1. habee profile image90

If Palin gets the nod, Obama will get my vote!

2. lovemychris profile image79
    lovemychrisposted 6 years ago

Huckabee strikes me as someone--like Pence, who is all for show about this religious stuff.
    I read a story very long ago about him, and I can't remember the details, but it left me with a bad feeling in my gut. Something about how his kids were raised....guns and cruelty...I cannot recall.
    But, I do know he was one of the first Obama-is-not-a-citizen people at Fox.
    He just creeps me out.
    And the way he talks!! His jaw moves funny, and his chin waggles.

1. habee profile image90

Really? In this clip he says he knows Obama was born in Hawaii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13u_ukLi … re=related

3. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

After having him for Governor, I would not vote for him in a Presidential election. Never liked him then and still don't. Meeting him in person really showed how he could turn on the "showman" in his personality and how he does avoid questions when asked.

4. Randy Godwin profile image93
    Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago

He has trouble making up his mind about where Obama grew up, it seems.  I would never trust any church leader to be president because of their first duty to the church rather than their office.  Especially so in the case of a Baptist or other fundamental preacher becoming president.  smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRAbA0Qp … re=related

1. lovemychris profile image79
      lovemychrisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Listening to that Maltzberg clip...only took 30 seconds of it..I can't stand to listen to that bullcrap any more.
      BUT--it shows perfectly where all the far-righters here get their info about the world.

Plain as day.

"Obama has spent 100's of millions of dollars".....that's where I turned off, and said...Ah HAH!!!!!!

2. habee profile image90

If you watched my clip, Huck says that was a gaffe. In his book, he talks about Obama's growing up in Indonesia for part of his childhood. You were quick to dismiss Obama's gaffe about "57 states" and his "Muslim faith," so why not give Mike the same break? Politicians are only human. At least, I THINK they're human! lol

3. habee profile image90

Whatcha think about a Mormon president? Never mind...I know you'd never vote for ANY Republican! lol

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
        Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

A Mormon president?  lol  Just imagine having 4 or 5 First Ladies for the fashion folks to follow around trying to find out what kind of underwear to promote.  Not to mention the trouble it would cause between the ladies wanting to be the "Favorite First Female Fornicator."  lol  Who gets the Lincoln bedroom?

1. profile image52

Gosh, isn't gross intolerance fun? I'll bet you just laugh your ass off at those folks who stereotype Muslims, huh? Those nazis must have been a jolly bunch too, huh? It's just so much fun to hate and dismiss (and who knows what else...?) based on the irrational hatred of someone else's religion! Smilie faces all around!

Sorry, I cannot judge how much you enjoy gross intolerance.  Only you can relate your personal feelings.  Yes, stereotyping different religions would be a slippery business, but not when they are all so similar in nature.

But Mormonism are a relatively new cult compared to the old stand by cults of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity.  It was founded by a former conman who finally found the mother lode of all marks.  Read all about their history, and not just on their sites.  Read newspaper accounts of Joseph Smith and his former scams before he became a Saint. 

Better yet, read the Mormon bible, or The Book of Mormon.  Did you know there was a great civilization in the Americas created by the lost tribes of Israel?  Or, that no evidence can be found of Smith's claimed, civilization existence despite its greatness?  lol

What your remark concerning the Nazis was about, I have no idea.

1. profile image52

Does your shameless defense of intolerance apply to other areas, or just religion? Anything else you are afraid of enough to hate?

I don't recall saying I hated anyone, SS.  Your words, not mine.  Just because I think their beliefs ridiculous doesn't mean I hate them.  I feel the same about some forum trolls, don't you?  lol

1. profile image52

Ah, so you are denying religious intolerance on your part?

I am always intolerant of willful ignorance, SS!

2. John Holden profile image60
                John Holdenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Where, exactly, is Randy's " shameless defense of intolerance" actually manifest itself?

1. profile image52

Just shift your gaze a few inches upward.

1. John Holden profile image60

Nope, no shameless intolerance there.
                    I do see quite a bit in your posts though.

2. Randy Godwin profile image93

Forgot to add--I could vote for a Republican candidate for president if I found one less crooked than the Democratic options.

1. habee profile image90

How can you tell??

The least crooked will not be supported by Fox news!  smile

1. Druid Dude profile image59
              Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh, just the biggest crooks, then. I see. Now it really makes sense.

2. profile image52

Well, there's a rational, carefully-considered position......

Such extremist, irrational nonsense leaves no room for serious discussion and drives the political process toward the kind of polarization so many people b!tch and moan about.

Just a pessimist. I think they're all crooks. No one is excluded. Get what you can while it lasts. Typical rat mentality. Can't blame a rat for being a rat, Right? And the offspring of a crooked rat will probably also be a crooked rat. Excpt of course, for innovators...those who have crooked rat down to a fine art.

1. profile image52

You can't blame a rat for being a rat, but you sure as heck can blame a human for acting like one.

2. Randy Godwin profile image93

While you, on the other hand, spout the wisdom of the ages!  Here's a few more for you, Mr. anonymous helper. lollollol

3. mega1 profile image79
                mega1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

this said by a "hubber" who exists on Hubpages just to create confrontations in the forums!  and who has not one hub after 4 months here - we're supposed to take your opinion seriously?

Of course, his/her reputation is at stake!  lol

Not with me it ain't lol

2. profile image52

I'm sorry, I must have missed the mega1 rule. How many hubs do I need before I can have an opinion?

1. Cagsil profile image60
                    Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Your account and your usage of said account, is no better than what is described as a "sock" puppet. Since, you've chosen to argue on the forums and not write hubs, with the opinions you espouse on the forums, then you are in fact- all talk which creates nothing but conflict, for self pleasure and not for any productive nature.

Just a thought. wink

2. Hugh Williamson profile image87
                    Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm curious about forum posters who don't publish hubs.

Hub Pages is a site for writing and offers a forum for it's members who, presumably, are interested in writing.  Why would people with no such interest come here and churn the forums?

There are many sites with forums on any possible subject. Why come to HP if you don't wish to write? Are you promoting something?

3. mega1 profile image79

you don't NEED any hubs at all, but why should I or anyone else take what you say as meaningful, at all? - and no one actually NEEDS the opinion of someone who shares no information whatsoever about themselves, even in their profile, who doesn't ever state their own opinion and only posts to confront others.  No one NEEDS anyone's opinion, but it would be oh so nice to make a statement here without being attacked for being serious about an issue - such as the polls that we are sucked into -  Do you want to discuss those polls or just slam the other hubbers posting here?  Why are you here?

4. profile image52

Similar to what many said about JFK when he was running for president. Did you agree then?

I don't recall JFK being a preacher or religious leader.  Of course, like Swaggart and others, he did like female attention.  So he might have made a good minister of some sort!  lol

1. profile image52

There was quite the hullabaloo when JFK was running for President along exactly the same lines that he would "make his first duty to the church rather than the office." Almost verbatim.

Consider the company your intolerance puts you into.

Ask any preacher who his first duty is to, god or country, SS.  What do you think his answer would be?  And once again, JFK was not a preacher by any stretch of the imagination.

1. profile image52

Please read what I wrote instead of what you want to respond to.

5. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 6 years ago

Huckabee, like some others, has sold himself to the media (Fox) and pursues his politics nationally on TV - making money and getting alot of free press.  I think he is despicable - and so are others like Palin and Gingrich who are campaigning and setting themselves up as experts, making themselves into celebs, when they are really just celebrity candidates - they seem so unreal and have an undue influence on a huge population who watch these puppets indiscriminately.  This country's political machine has gotten so plastic and absurd - I don't trust any of 'em!  The right seems to be counting on the media to sell themselves - but the left uses it too.  And those polls - I can't believe in them and I'm always surprised that others really do believe their results are real.  Too bad so much of our lives are ruled by these creeps.

We have the option of choosing between the lesser of two weevils!  smile

1. mega1 profile image79

haha!  smarmy, irritating, self-righteous weevils!

2. profile image52

Are you saying that anyone who gives their opinion on TV is therefore unfit to run for office?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image72
        Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In my opinion, anyone who's on the Fox payroll is unfit for public office--Palin, Huckabee, Gingrich and any others whose names have slipped my so-called mind.

It's not Fox who pulls the strings. A soulless beast controls it all, and makes all presidents say the same thing, just in different ways, while trying to convince us (Quite well, I might add) that one idiom is opposed to the other. That is why we left Iraq according to the original schedule of the previous admin. That is why they still balk on things which have been decided by the supreme court, which the previous admin,. also balked at. That is why we are in Afghanistan, and, by the way, Libya. That is why Guantanamo stays open...jeeez Louise! Don't you guys get it yet?

1. profile image52

Just what we need, more conspiracy nonsense...

"We" who?  Are you speaking for everyone here or just your fellow sock puppets?  smile

1. profile image52

Wouldn't "we" indicate everyone here? Are you saying you DO need more conspiracy nonsense? Does it serve some purpose for you?

Who agreed with you it was conspiracy nonsense to begin with?

1. profile image52

So YOU agree that there is a secret, souless beast lurking in the shadows controlling everything and really making all decisions while elected representatives like, say, the President are just puppets used to fool the ignorant masses? Is that what you're saying?

2. profile image52

So you are an extremist with a closed mind. Are these qualities you admire in those of opposing political view points, or are they just ok for YOU?

Is a slave a slave if the slave doesn't know he is a slave? What makes you think that you are not deluded...most people are deluded in the U.S. That makes you a pawn, expendable to those of the "Higher Purposes". Do you seriously think that I am one of them? Do you believe that certain people in control don't consider you expendable? Why did Revere ride raising the minute men to the British invasion...yeah, yeah, he wasn't alone (neither am I) and some say he didn't do the ride. If some one warns of a threat (and this is a threat) only because you are under the spell of the mesmerizing snake which is in the midst of our garden.

1. profile image52

And.......the conspiracy theory train pulls into the station with a fresh supply of nuts...for snacking on...yeah...

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles … -explained

2. mega1 profile image79

if I was saying, that I would have said that!  I said nothing of the sort and you are reading into and distorting what I said. 

so to be clear:  I'm saying that people who have regular shows or are regular guests on shows on radio and tv in order to sell their candidacy for public office are "celebrity candidates" and people should beware of them and what they say - especially when they are attacking opposition office holders or candidates.  They will say they are "experts" and say anything they want to about their opponents and it seems no one holds them accountable.

If you, and others, have an actual opinion about this - why don't you state it instead of asking questions that distort what others say?

6. Ralph Deeds profile image72
    Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago

Thanks, Habee for the polling data. That's an interesting site. Here's a link to my HubPages poll--http://hubpages.com/hub/Who-will-be-the-Republican-Presidential-Nominee-in-2012

7. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago

You may well see a blizzard in Hell before you see me cite Michelle Malkin -

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/11/29/vi … ce-ambush/

But here's why Huchabee can't be elected. Any time a felon pretended conversion to Christianity, Governor Huchabee granted absolution and CLEMENCY. His release rate as governor was ridiculously high. I quote huffington post -

"Huckabee, who served as governor of Arkansas from 1996-2007, has a history of supporting pardons and commuting sentences of violent offenders. According to ABC News, Huckabee granted pardons and commutations to approximately 12 convicted murderers.

A study by the Arkansas Leader showed that between 1996 and 2004, Huckabee helped to free more Arkansas prisoners than were freed from all of Arkansas' six neighboring states--combined.

In 2004, The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette concluded that "9 percent of the prisoners who benefited from Huckabee's clemencies ended up in prison again."

Huckabee's pardons and commuted sentences as governor earned him extra attention during his bid for the Republican nomination in the 2008 presidential race. In 2007, Huffington Post published documents that contradicted Huckabee's story about the release of convicted serial-rapist Wayne Dumond in 1999. After Dumond was released from prison, he raped and murdered a 39-year-old woman and allegedly raped and murdered a pregnant 23-year-old woman before he was arrested and returned to prison..."

Huchabee can't divorce his political decisions from his religion. That makes him a sucker for any con that pretends Christian conversion.

1. habee profile image90

This bothers me about Huckabee.

8. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 6 years ago

short story - I just checked your profile you have no hubs and 2 followers who joined 4 months ago?  and now I wonder -  did you join just to make political non-statements?  Oh well, live and learn.

1. profile image52

I'm touched that everyone is so concerned with my progress on getting hubs published. Thank you. It's even more moving to see that only those who disagree with my opinions seem to show this concern. It just goes to show that we can transcend our differences to help our fellow man.

A few should be ready soon.

1. mega1 profile image79

really looking forward to some insightful, profound and meaningful hubs about your wisdom

1. profile image52

Wow, that's 4 or 5 posts now about my progress posting hubs. You must really care about me! Thank you. I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I've finished my first one so you can review it for me.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image87
            Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We'll probably be too busy reviewing Oly's first hub.

1. profile image52

Well maybe I can be next in line.

9. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 6 years ago

but seriously = those polls they quote on TV - not just on Fox, but every time any TV people quote a poll - why are we supposed to believe them?  they seldom say what poll and which people were polled, and if you look at the way the question's wording are skewed, who can give them any real weight?

I mean we have to be vigilant when people are using the TV and Radio selling tools to sell us ideas and political people to represent us - they can, and do, say anything they want.  No doubt this is where some of the unbelievably self-righteous arguers get their ideas, people who sign into HP to confront others in the forums. and to campaign against the "far left" - another joke. It makes these political forums meaningless and simply a tool to give the politically naive an adrenalin rush.  seriously.  Maybe O'Reilly employs these sock puppets?

lol  as if anyone could be serious here!

1. profile image52

Actually, if you pay attention, most of the polls referenced do indicate the sample and the margin of error. If people are just too lazy to pay attention and weigh for themselves the various different polls conducted and their sources that's their fault. Hopefully those people will stay at home smoking dope on election day and remain irrelevant.

1. profile image52

Please note the above post ON the actual topic.

So when was the topic the smoking of dope?

Shorty doesn't like you referencing his posts like that, John.  He's trying to build a rep here, doncha know!  roll

Sorry hmm

Must try harder and remember who's the boss lol

2. profile image52

Please reference whatever you like.

10. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 6 years ago

once again a thread on a political subject has been sabatoged and degraded in to a niggling exchange between hubbers who should know better than to pay any attention to drivelers who come here to distract, annoy and hijack.  and worse, I have been caught in the trap too.  Now I am going to go spit and b**Tch awhile in private and hopefully never again deign to give credence to any more of those jerks who are definitely limiting (to say the least) hub forum talk.  have a good evening, people, and try not to get pulled into the sock-puppet jiggle anymore, ok?  smile

1. profile image52

You're still going to review my hubs though, right?

working