SEALs slam Obama - What are your thoughts? (Story link below)

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 11 years ago

SEALs slam Obama for using them as 'ammunition' in bid to take credit for bin Laden killing during election campaign

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … redit.html

What are your thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tis politics these days.

2. againsttheodds profile image59
      againsttheoddsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts are, you can create a lie from another lie but it is still just a lie.

3. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obama is the commander in chief of the military and ultimate head of it, when it does the wrong thing it reflects on him and when it is successful as the head of the military and a superior of the men involved he has every right to take credit for a successful operation. End of story, those SEALS need to learn the chain of command.

1. profile image0
        Longhunterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As a friend of a SEAL, I would LOVE to see you say that to one of their faces. roll

1. lovemychris profile image76
          lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh why---they are ABOVE the chain of command?

1. profile image0

I guess I should have said "former" SEAL. He was out before Barack Hussein Obama took office.

Got it...when Bush was prez....they upheld the chain. Now that it's Obama--they don't have to.

Cause you know....politics trumps dignity, integrity and protocol.

1. profile image0

Wrong again, LMC. He doesn't like Bush either so please don't turn this into one of your "anti-Bushco" rants.

I did say please, LMC.

As for dignity and integrity, he's got a hell of a lot more than most people. Since he got out, protocol isn't something he give a damn about.

So why did you make the point about him being out before Barack Hussein Obama got in?

And did you ever refer to Bush as George Walker Bush? just curious.

1. profile image0

You tried to make it sound like SEALs think they're above the chain-of-command as if it has something to do with Barack Hussein Obama. I simply stated this guy was out before Barack Hussein Obama took office so he didn't serve under him. Nothing more. Nothing less, LMC.

And, no, I've never referred to Bush as George Walker Bush.

2. Josak profile image60

Oh absolutely, because you think a SEAL could beat me up obviously my point was incorrect tongue or is this some kind of macho pissing contest? I am a sixty year old vet I don't think he would be hailed as a hero for that one.
          If he does not understand the chain of command then he was a bad soldier.

1. profile image0

No pissing contest, Josak. Just making a statement. Thank you for your service to whatever country you served. big_smile

1. Josak profile image60

So... the statement was completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand.

1. profile image0

If that's what you want to think, Josak, but I did start the forum.

1. Josak profile image60

So yes to the question.

1. profile image0

Let me put to you this way and back to the original forum topic.

I have no idea what you did in the military but lets say you where on a mission where you got - killed or captured - a high-value target. Then,  in your opinion, someone else tried to take far more credit for the success of that mission than they deserved and used it politically.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying Barack Hussein Obama doesn't get credit for making the call. He does, so lets not even go there.

2. sabrebIade profile image79
        sabrebIadeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+ This
        I cannot believe they would speak out against any sitting POTUS.
        Maybe later in a book criticize something, but this?

4. breakfastpop profile image65
      breakfastpopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Seals can't slam hard enough. Tonight's performance in the Situation Room is a disgrace.

5. Don Crowson profile image60
      Don Crowsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My thought is that if he does get credit for it, it is the only good thing he has done in his entire term.

2. glmclendon profile image60
    glmclendonposted 11 years ago

Of course he used them. As President, he gave the order and they carried out the command. It has always been that way.

we are taking our eye off the ball. They know better and if they are that weak maybe they should pack it in.

I did twenty four year and never heard of such BS.

Stay Well

1. profile image0

Thank you for your service, GL, and your opinion.

3. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

"I did twenty four year and never heard of such BS."

Interesting. So, it's something they reserve just for Obama.
    Cause I'm sure had it been McCain, they would have erected a statue in his honor.

This is bringing down America...this unpatriotic sentiment toward the president.

Obama causing division? Give me a break!

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How is unpatriotic sentiment towards obama bringing down america?

Because I see no reason for it! 
        What has he done to deserve such shoddy treatment?

1. janesix profile image59
          janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thats fine. But its not bringing down america because you are emotional about it. Am i right?

Fine--it's bringing me down. I should never connect myself with all of America.
            These people are bringing me down. OK?

4. Jeff Berndt profile image74
    Jeff Berndtposted 11 years ago

Obama isn't using the SeALs as political ammunition--he's using his decision to send them in to kill BinLaden as political ammunition.

If he were using the SeALs as political ammo, he'd be making public appearances with them, or perhaps televised ones on the deck of an aircraft carrier, perhaps while wearing a military uniform...perhaps with some kind of a banner in the background...

Plus the article contradicted itself a bunch of times. One SeAL claims Obama didn't actually decide to attack BinLaden, but every other SeAL quoted says it was Obama's call, it was the right call, and any president probably would have done the same.

I find the last claim--that "Anyone who is patriotic to this country would have made that exact call, Democrat or Republican." particularly interesting, because I remember a time back in 2001 when to the best of our knowledge Osama was holed up in ToraBora, and another president chose not to send in US troops to get him, and he escaped.

Does this mean that W wasn't patriotic to his country, or merely that not just any president would have given the order?

Mitt Romney is on record as saying that it was wrong of Obama to say that he'd order troops into Pakistan to get Bin Laden, but Obama did order troops into Pakistan and got Bin Laden. I think Obama gets to sing a chorus or two of "I told you so."

Bottom line: Obama was in charge, Obama gave the order. Obama takes responsibility for the call. He gets to say, "I made the decision to take out Osama Bin Laden," 'cos you know that if that mission had gone wrong, everybody and his brother would be blaming Obama for the botched operation.

He doesn't get to pretend he has the endorsement of anybody in the armed forces, SeAL or otherwise. That'd be just many layers of not cool.

1. againsttheodds profile image59
      againsttheoddsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You guys believe anything.

2. Repairguy47 profile image59
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why would Obama wear a military uniform? Is it his Halloween costume? Would he be acting like another tinhorn dictator parading around as if he had earned the right to wear any uniform of our proud military? You see, he never served in the military unlike that former President you seek to denigrate!

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74
        Jeff Berndtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"he never served in the military unlike that former President [that actually did use the military to score political points, unlike the current President you seek to denigrate]"

There, fixed it for you.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good comment,Jeff.

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

I think I'm catching a whiff of swiftboats....

Good nose.

"A reclusive Texas homebuilder who helped finance the “Swift Boat Veterans” attacks against Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry in 2004 contributed nearly half of the $6.4 million raised by a super PAC backing Mitt Romney last month."

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ … r-pac?lite

6. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years ago

Teabaggers are funny

1. profile image0

Okay, Ron. Go back to sleep, Ron.

7. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

One year on, there is still no evidence that Obama and the Seal Team killed Osama Bin Laden.
    http://www.activistpost.com/2012/05/one … ma_01.html

Alarm bells have to start ringing when they say they threw him in the sea. It's only an Islamic custom to bury at sea when the individual in question as died at sea, but the idea that the US military would respect Islamic custom for Public Enemy No. 1 is preposterous - they offered no such service for Saddam Hussein and his family, and frankly, why would they?

Obama may genuinely believe that he did kill Bin Laden, but his administration has yet to provide evidence that he actually did. In any case, the event has already been improperly used for propaganda purposes.

Leon Panetta admits that there was no live feed of the killing, so the photograph in which the sincere Obama and hysterical Hilary has to have been staged for the subsequent propaganda:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … pound.html

Also, for any rational human being, the apparent killing of Bin Laden is not a very compelling reason to re-elect Barack Obama. If we get right to the crux of the issue on this 'war on terror', the idea is that the terrorists want to 'take our freedoms away'. However, the only people taking freedoms away from Americans since 9/11 have been Americans. Since that day, civil liberties have been gradually eroding to a point where the USA is essentially a police state. In a sense, the 'terrorists' have already won. Obama has failed to protect the nation by extending the draconian state powers of Bush, and by extending the militarism and covertly undermining democratically elected governments in the middle-east, giving every incentive for extremists to enact violence on America - what is called 'blowback'.

I can only implore those who have not seen through this to apply some critical thinking to the situation, and divorce themselves from the emotional marriage to the Obama and/or Bush administrations so as to ensure independent evaluation of their actions. Tell me, do you feel any more free now Bin Laden is dead?

I also don't think that was Bin Laden. I believe Benazir Bhutto! He was killed in 2001.

But...al queda is nothing more than a data-base of people used by the CIA and Mossad in their secret wars and operations.
      My own theory is that they are getting rid of al-queda allright, but al queda are rogue agents of the USA and Israel, Saudi Arabia...and that is who they are ridding us of.

And they keep this little fable going about Bin Laden...because after all....we really can't handle the truth.

That is my personal feeling. And I hope I'm right. 
      I heard a word spoken yesterday that I thought was gone from the American lexicon.....Peace.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image74

"for any rational human being, the apparent killing of Bin Laden is not a very compelling reason to re-elect Barack Obama."

This is true. It's not such a great reason to elect a guy to high office. If the original post had led with that, perhaps this thread could have become a worthwhile discussion rather than a silly (and hypocritical) argument about who may and who may not rattle his saber for political gain.

8. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

And all from the Daily Mail!

You guys should see how often this rag is in court for making up stories.

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I read last night that the website navysealsagainstobama dot com is being created.

Both Bush and Clinton had chances to get UBL, but they passed. I applaud the president for making a tough decision. If it had gone wrong, and IF citizens found out about the failed attempt, Obama would have gotten the blame, so I think it's only fair that he get credit for making the call.

That being said, Obama's decision was based on years of work done by others, and at first, I think the prez took a little too much of the credit for himself. Since then, however, he's tried to correct that.

Obama and the Dems indicated that Romney wouldn't have made the decision, based on a quote from Mitt. As is usual in politics, the entire quote wasn't used. Politifact rates the Dem claims as "half true."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter … bin-laden/

10. lovemychris profile image76

I heard the clip. Romney said "Even Carter would have made that call."...as if Carter is soft on terror, just like all dems, right Mitt?

And they were talking about it on Boston Talk, and actually...it WAS a hard decision. Because the intel they were getting was 50/50 that BL was there. So--he took a risk...really, and with the Seals lives--which he mentioned. It was a risky call, and it paid off. So maybe they can stop with this "weak" "feckless" label they love to put on Obama...you think, Mitt??

And if some of you noticed, one of those Seals is a Republican running for office...so who's politicizing? And Romney and Guliani going to the firehouse? WHO'S politicizing?

That website is swiftboat 2. Panther is right, imo.

So let me know when they mention Romney's service, or that of his 5 sons, ok?

11. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 11 years ago

Josak, I'm sure you served with honor. I don't doubt that for a second.

Now, how would you feel if the president you served under "spiked the ball," taking far more credit for your successful mission, as if he was the one who was actually there risking his life and used your success to try to get reelected?

You get that this whole load of BS is totally hypocritical right? I could explain why, but Jon Stewart sums it up very well, and with visual aids:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episod … vid-barton

1. profile image0

Yes, Jeff, I do. It's done by both sides. Doesn't make it right by either side.

Except I'm not sure that Obama is spiking the ball even a little bit.
          He has taken credit for making the decision to go ahead and take out BinLaden. He has also praised the vast network of people who made it possible for him to be in a position to make that call.

Basically, this is not an issue, but the right it trying to fabricate an issue.

1. profile image0

I guess some active-duty and retired SEALs see it differently.

It won't be the first time military personnel have been exploited for political ends.

12. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

Since the President of the US is the commander in chief, he has the power and authority to direct the military. Their work is directed by him and for the citizens of this country. Maybe he appeared to take the credit but I think he has tried to make amends and the military are here to protect this country as they are supposed to.

13. lovemychris profile image76

my peeps!:

"In Rush's alternate universe, Obama can do no right thing. If he came up with a cure for cancer tomorrow, Rush and his ilk would say that he "only did it during an election year" or "was pandering to the sick" or "was trying to run the pharmaceutical businesses out of business" or that making it available to everyone is "socialized medicine."

"Obama could have flown in the choppa himself, came out guns a blazing, killed Bin Laden, thrown him in the choppa, and flown back and Lumpy Rutherford would still find fault."

ahaha---Lumpy Rutherford....a new nome-de-plume for old gas-bag!

1. profile image0

Wow, did you take a breath at all while typing that?

Come on, LMC. DEEP BREATH!

Lumpy Lumpy Lumpy.....that's a good one!

and no silly--I copied and pasted.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)