jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)

Does gay-bashing Pastor Worley understand where babies come from?

1. LauraGT profile image86
    LauraGTposted 5 years ago

North Carolina pastor Worley recently suggested that gays and lesbians be locked up in a concentration camp until they all die out so that there would be no more gay people.  Where does he think the gay people came from? (Hint: To really accomplish his goals, it's really all heterosexuals who would need to be locked up!)

1. jonnycomelately profile image85
      jonnycomelatelyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Everything that we see in the video tells us so much more about the deeper feelings and desires that he has than anything else.  Has he got a secret wish?

It seems that he has a great desire to be On-Stage and taken notice of. Also, it looks like he's very uneducated.  If it was the end of the world, and those people locked away in the compound, so many gay guys and gals altogether, and they came to the conclusion they were the only people remaining who could re-populate the world..... Some of them could do their bit!  And, guess what!  The children they produced would be a mixture of heterosexual and homosexual individuals!

Now ain't that nice!  Praiiissse the Lorrrrrd!

LauraGTposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm with you. There was recently an article in the NYTimes about how many of the most homophobic people have the strongest gay tendencies.  I guess if you've grown up being told it be abhorrent, having a gay thought would freak you out and make you angry.  Anyway, that's a topic for another day.

Laura, I guess this is the only way we can approach them.... trying to be understanding and continue to be patient.... but it sure is tempting to lash out at them.

I feel lucky to live in a part of the country where this isn't something I need to address on a day-to-day basis.  At the breakfast table this morning, my husband and I brought up the topic.  My 5-year-old son acted like it was old hat:  "Yeah, mom, the kids have been talking about how a man can marry a man and woman can marry a woman" just like he was talking about star wars legos!  Yay!  Fortunately for us, the tide is turning our way, with the younger generation being much more accepting. I think in 50 years we'll have a much more civil society, at least in this aspect.

2. Jillian Barclay profile image85
      Jillian Barclayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just read the article on Huffington Post about this nut! If anyone has any doubt that there are sociopaths in the ministry, this should remove that doubt.

I know every segment of the population has its share of sociopaths, but it is so disheartening.

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well stated. smile big_smile

lol lol

Hey, could that be a new music trend?  The Worley-gig ?

Sounds like the whole Baptist Church out there is tarred.  I can't see anything in it's attitude which gives fidelity to the lord they claim to follow.

3. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Many traditional religionists are truly lost souls.   They portend that they are following "the word of God" in terms of mores.  However, they are not.  God is a universal force which is all-accepting.   There are homosexuality, heterosexuality, and asexuality.   Each should be accepted and respected.   What consenting adults should be totally inconsequential to the rest of society as less as the respective relationship is based upon mutual love and respect.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

There's just so much love in his statement, can you not see he is doing G/god's work.

roll

1. jennzie profile image82
      jennzieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

At least he THINKS he is.

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just great. Just what America needs right now. Another delusional moron making blatant hateful statements, which he obviously overlooks because G/god told him.

And people wonder why I don't like religion or many of the actions of it's followers.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image69
    Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago

Just another garden variety,  mouth breathing, Tea Party evangelical.

Sad that there are many more people out there who think in such a hateful way.  I guess this guy just got caught on film.  A little scary to think it might just be the tip of the hate iceberg.

4. InCourage profile image59
    InCourageposted 5 years ago

I pastor a small church in a small town in the bible belt... and I am always AMAZED at the bigotry, anger, and hate on both sides of this issue.  I don't think it says anything about our beliefs or about religion or even the God that Christians follow... I think it does say something about us as human beings. 

We preach love but live in hate.

We espouse Open-minded, tolerant, dialogue but then we get down in the mud of ignorance with those that we've already judged.

I think the "church" of Pastor Worley would like to see the gays done away with... but then again, the gays would just as soon see the church eliminated...

I'd just like to see some people Grow up and Get a clue.  Life is far too short and much to precious to be so bitter and angry all the time.

InCourage, thanks for your perspective. But, I really don't think that I can blame anyone for wanting to speak out against a pastor who preaches such hatefulness.  Are you suggesting that people should just sit back and accept this type of diatribe? This is the type of attitude that lead to to atrocities in the holocaust that he alludes to.

There are plenty of churches, temples, and other places of worship that show tolerance, respect, and and inclusiveness for all people. Plenty of gay americans are members of and support those types of institutions.

1. InCourage profile image59
        InCourageposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Speaking out is more than fine.  But comments such as the one left by 'ralph' that says: Just another garden variety,  mouth breathing, Tea Party evangelical.... is not really Speaking Out but rather it's inflammatory to perfectly decent people... not every Christian or Christian organization (as you so aptly point out) nor every Tea Party supporter would fall into the category of Ignorant, Closed Minded... 

or the comment left by Cagsil which reads:    Just great. Just what America needs right now. Another delusional moron making blatant hateful statements, which he obviously overlooks because G/god told him.

Again, I disagree with Pastor Worley but how are we even looking for a solution when our Tone is so Ugly?

It's just ugly on both sides... and my point is very simple... If you are dealing with an uneducated hateful individual the solution should not be to return their ignorance, anger, and stupidity with our own.

Obviously, Pastor Worley is wrong... but name calling and hate is not the answer... its the problem that we are trying to overcome.

5. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 5 years ago

Most homophobes seem to regard homosexuality as some type of contagious disease, so I'm pretty sure this guy is saying out loud what a lot of them are privately thinking. sad

6. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I'm just so sick of all the hate speech out there that is directed, not just toward gays, but at all kinds of groups.  Are we so low down as a species that we just can't stand that there are people out there in the world who are different from us.  How does one become a pastor with so much hate in one's heart in the first place?  Maybe it's Pastor Worley who should be locked away.

1. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There are some souls who are completely unevolved.    This is the 21st century where all should be one in accordance with the universal mind.   Hopefully, humankind will evolve to the point in which race, spiritual beliefs, age, gender, and sexual orientation will cease to be matter.   We are all humans.   Some people are just lost souls mired in the past.   As my sociology professor wisely stated that people are ruled by the dead.

2. InCourage profile image59
      InCourageposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think that rounding up any segment of a population and incarcerating them for their beliefs (no matter how foolish) is the sign of a free society.  The slippery slope is that if we can round up one group... we could round up any group... and eventually we will find ourselves in one of those groups.  I understand you point was probably made in jest... but I assure you that if Pastor Worley or anyone of that group read it they would not see the humor in it.

working