jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

When do you think, in a relationship, its okay to have a bank account together?

1. dcrisan profile image56
    dcrisanposted 8 years ago

When do you think, in a relationship, its okay to have a bank account together?

Do you think its too soon if not married?

2. Harvey Stelman profile image62
    Harvey Stelmanposted 8 years ago

I agree with, NEVER!  It's like getting into a possible divorce situation.

3. Cheeky Chick profile image57
    Cheeky Chickposted 8 years ago

Stop right there!!!  Now let me put my therapist hat on.  You're probably aware that money is the biggest source of friction between couples.  With that said, why would you want to open up a joint bank account?  What purpose would it serve?

4. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

It's okay at any time when both people agree it will be benefitial to them.  You might want to consider setting up the joint account so that you can't access the funds without both of the account holders signatures though.

Even for unmarried couples, having a Direct Debit set up from each of their personal bank accounts to make deposits into a Join Account can benefit them if they are saving together - for example if they're saving for a joint holiday, saving for a home or using the Joint Account to pay a joint Mortgage (each paying equal deposits into the joint account regularly).

5. profile image60
    Rosa Bergerposted 8 years ago

I personally would be very careful about having a joint account before being married. With marriage come certain rights and responsibilities. Before that, you are on your own. I would definitely check with an attorney what my responsibiltiies would be. Imagine, if your joint account is used for some illegal activity, even if you did not know, you are responsible.

In order to find the right answer for you, ask yourself why you want a joint account? Does it fulfill a need that could be fulfilled otherwise? If you just wanted to facilitate bill paying, then maybe you could set up a separate account just for that purpose.

6. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 8 years ago

Maybe..... MAYBE when you are married and bills as well as finances aren't an issues.  If children are involved, then joined bank accounts are mandatory....well at least that's what I think....ciao

7. the pink umbrella profile image79
    the pink umbrellaposted 7 years ago

Without the law on your side, its kinda hard to say go for it. After your married, everything is half yours/theirs anyway, so then yes. Until then, maybe a joint account just for bills, but keep your "you" money in your own name. (personal experience speaking here)

8. Venessa1 profile image48
    Venessa1posted 7 years ago

Only when you are sure that it is forever. There is usually someone that is not happy with the situation of a breakup and will take actions out of anger. One of the parties could then lose their part or all of their money.

working