jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How to develop better listening skills?

1. stricktlydating profile image80
    stricktlydatingposted 7 years ago

How to develop better listening skills?

2. humagaia profile image57
    humagaiaposted 7 years ago
  3. darrylcrawford profile image68
    darrylcrawfordposted 7 years ago

I always thought listening was very important in any relationship. Mother taught me well. I was not always a good listener. So this is what I would do.

One thing one could do is to practice listening in your home when no one is there. Notice all the sounds you can hear. Listen to the clock ticking, the ice box humming, the faint high frequency sound that goes on within your mind when you are healthy and happy. Then focus on just one of them. Then when you're outside, listen to the children playing and then just the cars going by. If you're a busy person you may want to silence your cell phone for 30 minutes and do this exercise.

If you're married then listen to your wife as she speaks, listen to her tone, her breathing, her words, often look at her lips listening to her, the signals within the message and of course listen to her message and body language.

Some of us choose to tune people out. At times that is good, like when YOUR WOMAN needs your 100% attention and someone else who finds you attractive and boldly tries to flirt with you, just say "Excuse me, now what were you saying honey......" and tune them out by listening to your woman. The other woman will get the message and YOUR WOMAN will REWARD YOU sooner or later for the attention and respect.

Even when I don't want to listen to someone I still try to listen to them because what they are saying may be what I need to hear.

Here is a poem I wrote about listening;

The art of listening

Listening is the path to respectful intimacy
    that allows the listener to inhale
    each word which is delivered by
    the other who needs another.
    Every sound opens the mind through
    the passage of time to a symphony
    we store into memory as a frequency
    that we can retain frequently for
    identity. Exploring the movement
    of the eyes and lips and soul, to
    behold that inner glow that one
    desires to know deep down, O how I hear your sound, your voice, by choice.
    To be written within the mind, my mind, so
    one can rewind and listen again in
    time. Paying attention without
    distraction because listening is
    an art of compassion of the heart. This is great, you had me from the start.

4. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

Seek out people who have interesting things to say -- people who are not just parroting politically correct conventional wisdom and Entertainment Tonight/TMZ drivel.

The reason many people are not good listeners is that those to whom they are listening are colossal bores.

5. padmendra profile image48
    padmendraposted 7 years ago

Whatever you do, if it is done with deep concentration of mind, the  result will always be on your side.Same thing is applied here for developing better listening skills. Try to make yourself confident and determined to achieve what you intend to do.  Moreover, the body parts connecting the voice  should be  perfect and free from any kind of infection. Concentrate on the particular matter leaving aside the other things appearing in your mind for a moment till its end.

working