jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Do you believe that you can love someone without liking them?

1. giselle2323 profile image61
    giselle2323posted 7 years ago

Do you believe that you can love someone without liking them?

2. smelloftruth profile image59
    smelloftruthposted 7 years ago

Before the relationship, no. After maybe smile

3. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 7 years ago

oh yea, whole first maridge, living proof of that. likeable guy, but realy disliked a great deal about him while loving him deaply,... hows that for a quick answer.... btw, i jumped on this question, it had that kind of reaction time for me,... thought you might wana know that.

4. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 7 years ago

My first marriage also, plus a couple guys I dated after the divorce too.  But the 'love' is impossible to sustain when their habits annoy you so much you eventually cannot stand them.

5. g82hug profile image58
    g82hugposted 7 years ago

I believe that you can. Liking someone is superficial, totally surface, but love is deeper.  Love allows you to look beyond certain qualities, but like is fickle it changes quickly and easily.  I think we like things in spurts, it comes and goes.

It's like being a parent, your child will go through phases where you won't "like" his/her personality, but the fact that you love them never changes.  Romantic relationships are similar, because your partner will also go through phases and during those times he/she may not be likable at all, but the love can remain. 

You just have to remember that loving someone is not always enough and vice versa.

6. phoenix_028@yahoo profile image61
    phoenix_028@yahooposted 7 years ago

well I dont the probability that such relationship would work, but things could happen

7. ROMANCER OF LIFE profile image69
    ROMANCER OF LIFEposted 7 years ago

Yes... very possible to love someone you don't even like. I love my Father and I don't like him. I love everyone... most of them I don't even like, but I still love them... I love my worst enemies, and I don't like them. I would be really sad if anything happened to these people. I believe it is possible to love someone you don't like. Great question!

Romancer

8. F.B. Spannigan profile image59
    F.B. Spanniganposted 7 years ago

yes

9. Ashantina profile image59
    Ashantinaposted 7 years ago

As strange as it sounds, yes. But in reality, you're just in love with love....

10. sarclair profile image79
    sarclairposted 7 years ago

I do believe you can love someone and not like them. When I was married, I loved my husband, but I could not stand him. When you love someone, you love them forever, it unconditional.

11. Silver Poet profile image77
    Silver Poetposted 7 years ago

You most certainly can love someone without liking them.  For instance, there may be a person you cannot stand whom you would never choose to spend time with.  Yet if you see this person about to fall off a bridge, your instinct kicks in and you grab the person and save his or her life.  This shows you did love them even if you did not enjoy being around him or her.

12. floating mind profile image77
    floating mindposted 7 years ago

Absolutely!  Over time, things change.  I found through experience that "love" can linger, while "like" can die a very sudden death.

13. wormdo profile image56
    wormdoposted 7 years ago

This sounds like a question my parents would be able to answer.

working