jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you like small talk?

1. whoisbid profile image74
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

Do you like small talk?

I can't stand small talk because life is too short and I have a lot of things to do. What about you?

2. pstraubie48 profile image87
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

Usually not.
    But, sometimes it can be productive. Sometimes, in a  public setting, like standing in line waiting to check out at a store...it can be a plus. Maybe
    the person behind me or in front of me is angry because they have to wait wait and maybe wait some more.
    That gives me an opportunity to maybe lighten the mood. I can say something funny to help lighten the mood. Or, we can begin chatting about 'something' to create a diversion away from the waiting.
    I can even allow the person to go in front of me if they have fewer items than I do.
    This is not about me at all.
    It is about making someone else's day better.

3. mathira profile image83
    mathiraposted 6 years ago

I usually do not prefer small talk, but to be serious always is also boring.Once in a while this meaningless small talk does make you less stressed.

4. capricornrising profile image61
    capricornrisingposted 6 years ago

No, I detest small talk. This doesn't mean I don't engage in it - too frequently it seems. It's just a space filler, a way of being polite, and to communicate a non-dismissal of whoever you happen to be "talking small" with.

However, I enjoy banter, which could be mistaken for small talk. However, I consider banter a more sophisticated form and infinitely more engaging and pleasurable!

5. IJR112 profile image61
    IJR112posted 6 years ago

I hate small talk, especially in a group setting.  I would much rather sit down with someone and have a meaningful conversation.

6. emichael profile image78
    emichaelposted 6 years ago

I find it interesting that when you ask the average person if they like small talk, the answer is usually a resounding, "NO!"

But, for some reason, it is our default.

Our conversational security blanket.

Why is that? For the life of me, I have no idea. I wish I had the wit, courage, boldness, wisdom, whatever it took to engage in real meaningful conversations with people right from the start rather than hiding behind meaningless drivel.

But, that is the way of things, I suppose.

Good question smile

7. Steve Orion profile image78
    Steve Orionposted 6 years ago

If I like the person and I know we will have other, more interesting chat.

8. Seek-n-Find profile image88
    Seek-n-Findposted 6 years ago

Nope!  I don't like small talk either.  I'm not very good at it.  I am always ready to dig in to the important, deep, meaningful things in life.  There should be a Hub called, "Lines to Get Out of Small Talk."  If somebody is talking about what they are cooking for dinner, for example, maybe a transition sentence could be something like, "So, who's your favorite person to have dinner with and why?"  Hmmm...that's actually not so good.  Thus--the need for a Hub!  :-)

working