jump to last post 1-22 of 22 discussions (22 posts)

Are we always correct on our first impression every time we meet someone new?

1. moiragallaga profile image81
    moiragallagaposted 6 years ago

Are we always correct on our first impression every time we meet someone new?

2. lukeuk profile image72
    lukeukposted 6 years ago

We are all different, therefore have different capabilities at being able to judge someone quickly. To answer your question , some are some are not.

3. rajan jolly profile image90
    rajan jollyposted 6 years ago

No, most of the times. Hunches are not 100% right. Many a time the opposite person's reactions are not in consonance with his thoughts. It takes time to get to know the real person behind the facade.

4. Taleb80 profile image83
    Taleb80posted 6 years ago

Sure No.
    Fro example: Maybe s/he is not or I am not in his/her/my normal mode that time.

5. Kris Heeter profile image80
    Kris Heeterposted 6 years ago

I certainly haven't been:)  It often depends upon the context I've met them in.

6. Ania L profile image83
    Ania Lposted 6 years ago

It's always correct according to our baggage of experience from the past but this might not be right. If we manage to find out that we misjudged a person, then next time we become more accurate as this will add to our experience.
    The trouble is when we don't notice being wrong so we keep making the same mistake again and again.

7. Alecia Murphy profile image80
    Alecia Murphyposted 6 years ago

I would say it's 50/50. Some people are good at giving genuine impressions while others are a little more difficult to read. However, I always like to get to know someone before I can concretely give an impression of them.

8. Hui (蕙) profile image79
    Hui (蕙)posted 6 years ago

I don't think so. Modern society makes people smart and careful, so it seems to be a necessary skill for a modern person to disguise self. So, it is not a proper way to recognize a people only by the first impression. Many times, we are misled by the first impression.

9. Hubpage Gal profile image59
    Hubpage Galposted 6 years ago

Sometimes it takes two or three encounters to get to know someone.  In a relationship, it takes about three to four months to really get to know what the other person is all about. 

First impressions is what attracts one person to the other, initially.  But once the two people get to know the other person better, then those first impressions can be soon forgotten.

10. profile image0
    MP50posted 6 years ago

I think first impressions are accurate. But we alway's let it go and find out we were

right the first time at a later date. Intuition is difficult to develop. Just my input good

11. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 6 years ago

I want to say no, but in some instances yes, first impression can be true. Usually I try to give a person at least 2 or 3 chances to see if there is any difference. Very seldom it changes.

12. Matt in Jax profile image69
    Matt in Jaxposted 6 years ago

Most definitely not! I have a lot of friends now that I wouldn't have previously thought I'd enjoy being around, but have an amazing time with now.

13. THEHuG5 profile image61
    THEHuG5posted 6 years ago

No not at all it takes years and years to truly get to know someone. Even then you don't really find out how a person really is until you piss them off. Then their true colors show.

Some of the best friends that I've ever had were people who I did not think that I would like but other people that I have clicked with instantly turned out to be horrible friends. First impressions are rarely accurate since people are generally on their best behavior at first.

14. profile image0
    Gelbeeposted 6 years ago

There is a saying, that right when you think you know someone really well, they will change right before your very eye's. I really think it depend's as other's have said here on a variable of thing's to include, whether or not you are a intuitive and a good judge of Character. There are too many people out there that are not being real when they first meet people and are trying to impress.

15. MazioCreate profile image73
    MazioCreateposted 6 years ago

I am inclined to go with my first impressions. However, I always take into consideration the situation at the time.  People present differently in different situations and I keep adding info to the first impression to ensure I'm making an accurate picture. Thanks for the question, it got me thinking about this occurrence.

16. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 6 years ago

In my experience, frequently not.

I think the trick is to allow yourself to form a first impression, but don't let that restrict your willingness to keep an open mind, until a clearer picture develops.

17. KewlWriter profile image73
    KewlWriterposted 6 years ago

Probably not always but always listen to your gut feeling.

18. Bella Nina profile image71
    Bella Ninaposted 6 years ago

Yes.  Absolutely yes.  Even if we can't explain it, it's a God-given thing.  ALWAYS, let me write that again, ALWAYS trust your first impression/instinct.  God didn't give it to us to hang a hat on.

19. engelfantasydream profile image59
    engelfantasydreamposted 6 years ago

first impression means our first say on the new people we meet along the way..first impression doesn;t necessarily last ..or first impression is true
    like for instance..you meet someone you thought is shy,,and she /he really is shy..
    first impression does not pertains to the over all personality of the person cos that will take ages to learn about from them
    as for me..80% my first impression to the new people i meet along the way are true
    like if someone is shy, silent at first, funny, angry or something
    ..if you are pretty observant with the people around..you got to know something about them right there and then
    when you meet strangers..don't talk the talk..but kept silent and observe..be a keen observant..cos it is very important that you have a clue on what you going to meet
    and even just on first conversation
    when their stating their opinion over something
    you got to know what kind of person they are
    based on their beliefs over a particular issue or topic

20. Beata Stasak profile image82
    Beata Stasakposted 6 years ago

Not always, but we tend to be attractive to people who tend to reflect our own image in some way....intuition seldom fails us....

21. BfoBarney profile image59
    BfoBarneyposted 6 years ago

Of course not, that is why it's called a first impression. Your second and third will vary incredibly. Because as soon as you dig deep into somone you truly admire them for what they are.

22. mathira profile image83
    mathiraposted 6 years ago

You most probably form an opinion by the outer facade of a person which always proves to be wrong. When you interact with them you see a new side of them which you did not see initially and so it is always wrong to form an opinion when you first meet a person.