jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Can you re-fall in love with someone after they've been unfaithful?

1. Competitor82 profile image60
    Competitor82posted 6 years ago

Can you re-fall in love with someone after they've been unfaithful?

2. Seeker7 profile image97
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Yes you can. You can't switch feelings and emotions on and off. That's why, against our better judgement maybe, we continue to love people who have hurt us badly. We can and do get over them, but this can take a long time and if an opportunity arises before we're 'cured' them some of us just can't help ourselves, we find that we are still very much attracted to them. Other people are more successful at being able to put their self preservation and self respect first and work hard to keep the 'love' feeling in the background, knowing that the person they do love is no good. But for most of us, it is a very hard battle.

3. Neil Sperling profile image84
    Neil Sperlingposted 6 years ago

of course - in fact you do not even have to fall out of live..... there are people in open relationships that love each other dearly.... it all depends on the individuals involved.

We forget - "we can never be owned by another - nor can we own them."

Loyalty and exclusivity are choice - so is infidelity.

How much mental maturity do you possess?

4. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 6 years ago

Of course you can....and now that that is out in the open I'll ask will they really fall in love with you now that they see how loyal and gullible your are.  Majority of the time it isn't worth it , so don't do it

5. Rain Defence profile image92
    Rain Defenceposted 6 years ago

I don't think so.

6. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't be able to. If someone cheated on me trust would be out the window. It would take a lot of me to overcome that.

7. Levertis Steele profile image85
    Levertis Steeleposted 6 years ago

I can never be as strong as Jesus, but we are unfaithful to Him, and how many times does He refall in love with us? The answer is "zero times" because he never stops loving us in spite of ourselves. Awesome!

Most people forgive and resume their relationships before they fall out of love. Some end their relationships, especially if the offense is habitual. Unfortunately, many spouses do not regain that trust that helps to make a beautiful marriage. Many couples do not realize the need for professional counseling and begin experiencing problems stemming from the infidelity.

8. Bella Nina profile image73
    Bella Ninaposted 6 years ago

Yes.  If you are able to forgive them.  I think even if they betray you, and you loved them before that, you still love them.  You're just hurt.

If you can forgive them, and work together to rebuild as much trust as you can, then you could make the relationship work again.

9. mattdigiulio profile image76
    mattdigiulioposted 6 years ago

Oh, you can totally fall back in love with anyone after anything. I'm serious. But it's a serious problem to do so if what they did takes away your power or the power of anyone else.
    If they cheated on you, that's them taking more power for themselves, taking power from you. It is actually quite easy to fall back in love with them because they have single-handedly stolen away the love and trust and dignity that you've been generous enough to let them hold. Who is the only person who can give that back to you? Them.
    That's how it feels at least, for some people. It's a trap that's tough to get out of. That person does not care about you at all, at all, they don't respect you. So, you must do your best to leave.

10. Eliminate Cancer profile image60
    Eliminate Cancerposted 6 years ago

I don't think it's a matter of "re-falling" in love..

I think you either continue to love them and forgive them, or you try to shut that love down and move on.  It's hard.

In our hearts, if we truly loved this person, we may understand what drove them to it - usually some insecurity on their part.  If you can get to the source, the relationship has an opportunity to grow deeper than it was before.

But like reeltaulk said, that puts you in a vulnerable position, and depending on who you're dealing with, that could be taken as a sign of weakness - while they may appreciate it, they may walk all over you...  if it's that sort of person who is not mature enough to develop a real relationship - it's best to move on.  You can love them, but there's a limit to their ability to love.

Everyone has the ability to learn and grow, the best thing to do is talk about it.  That's what these hard things we face in life are all about - opportunities to take life to the next level.

11. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

If you truly loved the person before their mistake, why would that stop?

12. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 6 years ago

Personally, I would not fall out of love with a woman who I am in love with -- under any circumstances.

True love, in my opinion, is unconditional.

13. gfarmer profile image78
    gfarmerposted 6 years ago

I think you can, but there may always be that nagging question in the back of your mind: "Are they going to hurt me again?" and that could cause you to be a lot more cautious about falling head over heels completely...

working