jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is staying married for life harder in the 21st century harder now than in past t

1. grinnin1 profile image81
    grinnin1posted 6 years ago

Is staying married for life harder in the 21st century harder now than in past times?

2. ar.colton profile image82
    ar.coltonposted 6 years ago

I don't think it's harder to stay married I think it's just easier to get divorced. For a long time divorce wasn't an option but that doesn't mean that the couples who were married their entire lives were happy, or that their life together wasn't a struggle.

3. iamageniuster profile image74
    iamageniusterposted 6 years ago

It is since it's easier to get a divorce now and the woman isn't dependent on the man anymore. Also, people don't know how to be reserved nowadays and give themselves away too fast, which makes their relationship boring real quickly.

4. profile image62
    SanXuaryposted 6 years ago

I think the concept of family and working through life with others has changed greatly. Selfishness has destroyed  any reason to accept a one way relationship and legally anyone can destroy another persons life and walk away. I do not believe that their is any reason to take a chance with most people today and few if any our worth any consideration. Getting married is a permission slip to rob men and take them for what they got. Most do not care about your children and if you our a father, more or less a human being. The legal system punishes men and insures they have no rights and that they will pay for the selfishness of others. If anything men are growing wiser and being forced to play the same games. These systems have nothing to do with family but are focused on making money. Three families in my State this week were killed when the soon to be ex-husband murdered everyone. We will hear all about them being terrible people I am sure but we will never hear their story and why they gave up in the first place. People do not just get divorced any more but get legally harassed and robbed of all life in many instances. If you our a man you should never get married and that is what most men learn after they do it once. A man recently out of work and unable to find work was put in prison for not paying child support. After he was released he burned himself alive on the Court House steps. I hope they all got what they want out of marriage.

5. singleaple profile image70
    singleapleposted 6 years ago

I think it is much easier these days to get divorced.

You can only stay married, if that is what both partners want. If one really doesn't want the marriage then it is best to give up.

I did not want to get divorced (even though the marriage was bad) but was given no other choice by my wife.

It has even led to me writing a Hub about surviving a divorce.

I case you want to read it , I will provide the link - http://singleaple.hubpages.com/hub/How- … my-divorce

Hope you find it useful.

6. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I don't think it's a matter of it being harder to stay married or easier to get a divorce. I believe it's about having more options especially for women. In generations gone by women were more dependent on their husbands financially. This was especially true of the "Leave it to Beaver" era. When these women had kids they were pretty much put in a postion where they were forced to put with things they may not have liked from their husbands. A lot of women stayed in bad marriages for financial reasons. Other women dealt with infidelity by looking the other way and saying such things, "As men will be men."
    Today there is much more career and income opportunity for women and they are less inclined to accept or put up with the things their grand-mothers or great-grand mothers did. A recent study stated that (women initiate 66% of all divorces in America). That is 2/3rds! I wrote a hub about this quite awhile back.
    http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … getmarried

Unhappily married men are far more likely to cheat then run to the courthouse and file for a divorce. Even mistresses are warned by their friends that "married men rarely leave their wives". The more options women have the less crap they will put up with! Each of us is entitled to have our own "deal breakers" and no one is "stuck" with anyone.
    Essentially a divorce is nothing more than one or both people coming to the realization that a "mistake" was made. Maybe we'd all be better off if pre-marital counseling was mandatory. I suspect the number one reason for divorce is and always has been (selecting the wrong mate). When most people take their vows they assume they will be sticking together to take on whatever comes their way but (no one thinks it will be their own mate who will be attacking the marriage). Once you realize your spouse has a different agenda than you or no longer shares the same goals for the union then the marriage is over. Staying together for the wrong reasons is just as bad as getting married for the wrong reasons.

7. danajconnelly profile image70
    danajconnellyposted 6 years ago

I think its important to consider the life expectancy rate of today compared to the past.  "For the rest of our lives" was easier to accomplish when we lived to an average age of 60.

working