jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Can a person fall in love with two people at the same time?

1. jirel profile image70
    jirelposted 6 years ago

Can a person fall in love with two people at the same time?

I've seen this in so many cases.You're in love with one completely but you also like the other.You are not able to decide as you like them both.It is not even infatuation.What is it?

2. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 6 years ago

I believe there are many people who practice just what you have described.... and that it is called "polyamory."

Of course, that is predicated on the several people who are participating agreeing to do so....

In many (other) cases (as for those who otherwise practice "monogamy") that practice is, or may be, a stressful "fooling around."

3. mackyi profile image65
    mackyiposted 6 years ago

"Love" is really a complicated word. As a result, what one person interpret as love, another person may question it.  In some instances, Love is a decision -- for example, you went shopping and you saw an outfit or a dress that you fell in love with immediately. You might make the decision to buy it or not to buy it. You may see another dress and fell in love with it also, based on the design, color, or uniqueness of this dress. Again, it's your decision to buy or not to.
    The bottom line or what I am trying to say here is that sometimes people admire different characteristics of different people so much that they interpret it as love, until they get the opportunity to know the "total" person. So yes you can be attracted to two person or love something about each of them. See my hub on" what really is love?"

4. Lisa HW profile image74
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

If a person is really in love with, and loves, another person; there's never any doubt whatsoever when it comes to "deciding".

There can be "liking/caring about someone else as a friend".

Then there can be "finding someone else an attractive person" (and liking him as a friend, not liking him at all, or not caring one way or another about him).
    There can be

There isn't, however, having trouble "deciding".  When there's "trouble deciding" what the person has for one and/or both other people either is not real love, is not "complete" and genuine love, or else is an immature form of love.  "Immature" can happen for people of all ages; but if someone is young "immature" isn't at all an insult.  Part of being young is being "not-mature".  Since you've said you've seen it in "so many cases", I'm guessing you may be young and hanging out in young circles where you're seeing all these cases.  (I could, of course, be wrong with my guess, needless to say.  smile  )

So, my answer to "What it is it?" is that I suspect IT is a matter of being young and not yet knowing what loving someone in a whole and mature way really feels like.   Young people (and older ones who aren't completely emotionally mature) tend to look a potential partners the way the proverbial kid-in-a-candy store does. They look at what what looks most appealing, have trouble deciding which they want, and think in terms of what life would be like if they had "that one".

When love is mature and whole there's no "candy store" window to be seen because we own the candy store, along with every other kind of "store" one could ever imagine.   smile

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

Most likely if you are opening up your heart to a (second person) you probably are not truly "in love" with the first person.
    Generally speaking people who are (madly in love) with their significant other don't enage in any activity that might ruin their relationship.

6. Clayton Fernandes profile image77
    Clayton Fernandesposted 6 years ago

yeah its pretty much possible, and it sucks. After that its your morals that keep you straight.

7. greeneryday profile image78
    greenerydayposted 5 years ago

Yes you can, just like when you have children, you do love all your children right?

working