jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think people take dating too serious rather than marriage?

1. Esenbee profile image60
    Esenbeeposted 5 years ago

Do you think people take dating too serious rather than marriage?

I asked this question because I have many friends who put so much energy in their relationships with their boyfriend/girlfriend. They are not married but yet they put a lot of time in building the structure of their relationship much like a marriage. I just thought that dating should be fun, free, and simple.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6795197_f260.jpg

2. Ellana317 profile image78
    Ellana317posted 5 years ago

All relationships ought to start out fun, free, and simple but as it progresses and gets more serious so should your resolve to keep the relationship successful.  Keep in mind that who you are in your monogomous relationship is a snapshot of the person you'll be in marriage.  If you're a person who desires all of your courtships to be fun, free, and simple then you should continue to casually date rather than entering into a relationship.  Just my two cents...

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

There are different types of dating. Casual dating where one may be seeing multiple people with no "emotional investment" is completely different from a couple in an "exclusive relationship".  People in exclusive relationships have the same expectations of one another as those who are married. They expect monogamy, being considerate of each other's feelings, needs, and wants as well establishing a commitment to having a future together. In essence people who are in "serious relationships" think of themselves as being with "the one" they hope to spend the rest of their lives with.

1. Motherbynature profile image77
      Motherbynatureposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well said. Marriage-minded couples better take their relationship seriously because a bad boyfriend/girlfriend does not miraculously become a great spouse at the altar.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Actually, I don't think people take dating as seriously as it should be. They fly from one person to the other. I've been with my boyfriend for over two years and everyone seems amazed when they hear that. They shouldn't be. Dating used to be wonderful, beautiful, romantic. Now it is just a gathering of friends. "Dating" is now "friend's with benefits". And once they get bored, it's "someone that I used to know". Close relationships shouldn't be this way.

working