jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

How often do you say "I love you" to your partner?

1. AussieTreeChange profile image71
    AussieTreeChangeposted 5 years ago

How often do you say "I love you" to your partner?

How often do you say "I love you" to your partner or spouse or your children or even your parents?  Do you find it easy to say or is it awkward?  Have you ever regretted not saying it enough?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image60
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

When I was a young man I found this very difficult to say.  I doubt I said it more than once or twice on the lower side of thirty or so.  This would have been caused, I expect, by my Anglo Saxon upbringing in dear old England where shows of emotion in just about any instance were frowned upon.  I believe this situation was even worse in some of the Germanic and Nordic countries. 

However, as the years went by it was "I love you" in letters and cards and, eventually in actual spoken words to my darling wife.  Once said only one time, it is easier the second time, then the third, and so on.  But I've never let it become a meaningless habit, despite the fact I often call my wife, "Love."  But then again, so do barmaids, and friendly shop keepers.   Love is a common place term in Australia and doesn't really mean much at all.

Have I regretted not saying it enough?   I think, 'Yes."  I could have said this to my children as they grew up.  But then again, as previously, stated, it isn't easy to get away from the way oneself was raised.   I do say I love my children - all grown up now - now and again.   But even after all of these years feel rather self-conscious about it.

AussieTreeChangeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Really enjoyed your total honesty.  I am sure many could relate.

3. stricktlydating profile image82
    stricktlydatingposted 5 years ago

I don't have a partner at the moment but I tell my parents, family members and close friends often.  I'm not shy about saying "I love you" and it often comes out with a thank you for good advice or for their understanding.

Its great to be comfortable in expressing love in words smile

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

My husband hears it and says it several times a day.  My children hear it at the end of every phone call and often when we are together, I tell them how proud I am of them and how much I love them. Grandchildren hear it often too and are finally at the age they say it right back!

No, I have no trouble saying it or hearing it.

5. Cordelia Bay profile image60
    Cordelia Bayposted 5 years ago

I say I love you to all who have touched my heart with every opportunity that is granted to me.....and, then I say I love you when I am just thinking of them and perceive their thoughts to me. It is like sending an "I love you" on the wings of the birds of the air. I have no regrets in telling them I love them....even when they do not repeat the same words.

Beautifully said smile

6. jennshealthstore profile image91
    jennshealthstoreposted 5 years ago

Growing up I know my parents loved me and I do not doubt that at all, but I love you was not said often. I never really thought about it and it did not affect me in a negative way at all. I guess they were just not expressive in words. The only people I tell I love you to on a regular basis is my daughter and my boyfriend. But I also think that if you have a person or people in your life that you love and you feel as if they do not know, or that you have not expressed it in any way I think that it is a good idea to let them know. I know that I would regret not telling a person how I really felt and never getting the chance to.