jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Do you need lots of friends or just one or two?

1. Lavender Jade profile image82
    Lavender Jadeposted 4 years ago

Do you need lots of friends or just one or two?

Some people seem to have loads of friends and others either don't have many at all or just their family.  I only seem to have family, I do have friends but no one close who I would go to in a crisis, I was wondering what everyone else thinks about friends and friendships and are they essential to their life or are do they not really need them.  I also think women seem to have closer friends than men, am I correct?

2. JMcFarland profile image86
    JMcFarlandposted 4 years ago

I've been a bit of a loner all of my life.  I don't make friends easily, and I've had a lot of friends just move on as we grew apart.  I surround myself by a bunch of acquaintances and it typically takes me awhile to become comfortable around them and open up.  I make friends slowly.  I have my wife, who's my BEST friend, and a handful of other friends that I know I can depend on, but I'm comfortable with having more acquaintances than true "friends" although it can be a bit lonely at times.

1. Lavender Jade profile image82
      Lavender Jadeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That seems the way I am too, but I see lots of people who have had friends all their life, and can't seem to live without them.  I don't mind being a bit of a loner.  I do sometimes wonder if the people who seem to have lots of friends really do!

3. EJ Lambert profile image72
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

The way I've always looked at it is your time is limited.  Having lots of friends is great.  It means you're outgoing and people like you.  However, I prefer just two or three close friends so that way I can budget my time to them much more liberally than I could with a larger group.  In this way I'm not always exhausted.

4. LopezUnleashed profile image83
    LopezUnleashedposted 4 years ago

I do believe that friendships are essential to life.  We were created to have relationships and we thrive on close human connections.  That being said, there is no boundary to who can be that close friend.  If it's your cousin, aunt, uncle, mother, in-law or spouse everyone needs someone they can share their deepest heart with.  Friendships today can be tricky.  We live in a world where there seems to be an overwhelming message of "don't offend anyone".  To the point that many of us are loosing ourselves in an attempt to always be non-offending to everyone.  I have a large list of people I "know".  People that I knew previously and life has separated us physically, but I only have three people I would run to in a crisis.

5. Zaiden Jace profile image68
    Zaiden Jaceposted 4 years ago

It's always varied throughout my life. There are certain points in my life where I loved being surrounded by my friends and then there were times when I needed more me time and friendships began to dwindle.

working