What rules would you have for anyone (of age) dating your daughter?
My daughters are married now, but I used most of the rules on that shirt and I always reminded them that "I would hunt them down and make their life hell." Needless to say I never had any issues with who my daughters dated
This song by Rodney Atkins is great for parents of daughters and granddaughters.... http://youtu.be/jjO9kX4npVY
How fun! I have a few more like: It is assumed you are evil, do not prove it. You break a her heart, I break a your head. Her boyfriends are like family to me, that means death is the only way out. If she cries while she is seeing you, it is your fault.
But I must confess I am a big sissy pants. If a guy makes either of my daughters happy. Then I would cut off my own arm for him ---- so far none have,,, sigh.
I don't have children but if I did my emphasis would be on influencing my own child's choices and decisions as well as prepare my daughter by teaching her how males think. My daughter would know her curfew and my expectations. I'd hold her responsible for her actions.
She'd have a cell phone to call me if anything goes wrong. I'd like to believe I would not be one these naïve parents who believes their child is an saint and it's the rest of the world's children who are out to corrupt them. I'd hold my kids responsible for following the rules of my household. I would consider it a failure on my part to raise a daughter who behaves like sheep and is easily manipulated men.
Lady E.....I don't have a daughter.....but I DO have 4 sons.(all married) and needless to mention, I WAS a daughter. First , let me say I LOVE that T-shirt and absolutely HAVE to get one for each of my sons, who have a daughter!! It is hilarious......and fairly accurate, I might add, if I am reading my sons, correctly.
Through the years, I've often wondered what having a daughter would be like.....and what sort of Mom I would be, to a female child. Knowing myself as well as I do, I know a few things for certain. I'd leave the "rules" to the guys, up to my husband......and spend my time and experience, teaching my daughter the RULES about dating guys! Come to think of it......it's probably GOOD for the male population, I did not raise a daughter!! LOL! Great question!....Now, I have to search for that T-shirt!!
Every rule on that tee pretty much describes me. Thank GOD I choose not to have kids.
I shall answer this hypothetically since I do not have children. Here are my rules for dating my daughter as follows:
(1) must have intelligence. Young men should have an interest in pursuing knowledge and education. If a young man is not interested in broadening his knowledge and educational horizons-NO NO. YOU definitely will not be dating my daughter.
(2) be respectful. Young men should treat young women as ladies, not conquests, the "w", "b",. and "c" words. Young men should be gentlemen at all times, being a thug is totally inexcusable in my eyes. If YOU choose to be a thug, YOU will NEVER set foot in MY house.
(3) be from a good, stable home. My daughter will NOT date anyone who comes from a less than stable home. A young man is often effected by his home environment. Young men from less than stable home environments are less likely to do well in school and achieve a high level of success later in life. If your home life and/or environment is less than stable, STAY AWAY from my daughter.
(4) have a good socioeconomic background. Parents should have jobs which can decently support a family. A young man's socioeconomic background is often a determinant as to his aspirations, goals , what he wants out of life,and his particular values. His socioeconomic background also influences whether he will settle for nothing or near nothing in life or achieve the highest that his human potential decrees. If you DO NOT have the proper socioeconomic background, MY daughter will NOT date him.
(5) be ethical. A young man is to have a sense level of accountability and responsibility. He should know what is right and wrong and not veer from it. He should have a sense of honor. If YOU do not possess such values, over my DEAD BODY will you date my daughter.
(6) have a good relationship with his parents and/or siblings, especially his mother and/or sisters. Young men who have good relationships with his mother and/or sisters tend to treat other females respectfully. If you have a poor relationship with your mother and/or sisters, NO WAY in h***** will YOU date my daughter.
Here are my hypothetical rules for dating my daughter.
Correction: The last sentence to #4 should read If you DO NOT have the proper socioeconomic background, MY daughter will NOT date you, not him. Sorry for the error.
Thanks for taking time to write a long comment. I love that No 6 is there. I always watch how a man relates to his mum/sisters. However, on No 3, kids can't help what influences their background. So, a partner could have a good influence & help t
Your daughter is the one that needs to know your rules, which has been discussed with her endlessly. She should be able to define each and every statement on your tee and explain to you exactly what you mean be each one.
I don't have children but I have almost grown-up nieces and they're like daughters to me. I see it best making clear to her date (the man of my age) of my understanding that love measures no age, and of him to mark in his heart and mind that the best wishes he's ever had for his own daughters are the same wishes I'd like him to understand for mine. Perhaps by beginning things with respect and trust, everything else reciprocates.
by Grace Marguerite Williams4 years ago
As a parent, if your teenage daughter wanted to date a boy from a poorer background, would youforbid it? The premise here is that boys from poorer backgrounds have absolutely nothing to offer girls from more...
by Grace Marguerite Williams3 years ago
(6 or more children per household) in the postmodern, 21st century United States, being fully cognizant of the fact that they will be subjecting their children to an extremely rudimentary and primitive socioeconomic...
by Roberta McIlroy5 years ago
My son-in-law left my daughter for a girl half his age. He has moved in with his gf but continually sneaks into my daughters house when she is at work or asleep and takes photos of everyone and the...
by H C Palting2 years ago
Do you believe that poorer and/or less educated people have more children whom they can't support?Do you know any ill effects to the child(ren) born to these families and society? If so, what are they?
by dashingscorpio4 years ago
When dating do you believe there is real difference between being shallow and having preferences?If a man refuses to date women who are overweight and a woman refuses to date men who are shorter than her would you...
by Hobert196 months ago
Would you date a homeless person with addictions?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.