What rules would you have for anyone (of age) dating your daughter?
My daughters are married now, but I used most of the rules on that shirt and I always reminded them that "I would hunt them down and make their life hell." Needless to say I never had any issues with who my daughters dated
This song by Rodney Atkins is great for parents of daughters and granddaughters.... http://youtu.be/jjO9kX4npVY
How fun! I have a few more like: It is assumed you are evil, do not prove it. You break a her heart, I break a your head. Her boyfriends are like family to me, that means death is the only way out. If she cries while she is seeing you, it is your fault.
But I must confess I am a big sissy pants. If a guy makes either of my daughters happy. Then I would cut off my own arm for him ---- so far none have,,, sigh.
I don't have children but if I did my emphasis would be on influencing my own child's choices and decisions as well as prepare my daughter by teaching her how males think. My daughter would know her curfew and my expectations. I'd hold her responsible for her actions.
She'd have a cell phone to call me if anything goes wrong. I'd like to believe I would not be one these naïve parents who believes their child is an saint and it's the rest of the world's children who are out to corrupt them. I'd hold my kids responsible for following the rules of my household. I would consider it a failure on my part to raise a daughter who behaves like sheep and is easily manipulated men.
Lady E.....I don't have a daughter.....but I DO have 4 sons.(all married) and needless to mention, I WAS a daughter. First , let me say I LOVE that T-shirt and absolutely HAVE to get one for each of my sons, who have a daughter!! It is hilarious......and fairly accurate, I might add, if I am reading my sons, correctly.
Through the years, I've often wondered what having a daughter would be like.....and what sort of Mom I would be, to a female child. Knowing myself as well as I do, I know a few things for certain. I'd leave the "rules" to the guys, up to my husband......and spend my time and experience, teaching my daughter the RULES about dating guys! Come to think of it......it's probably GOOD for the male population, I did not raise a daughter!! LOL! Great question!....Now, I have to search for that T-shirt!!
Every rule on that tee pretty much describes me. Thank GOD I choose not to have kids.
I shall answer this hypothetically since I do not have children. Here are my rules for dating my daughter as follows:
(1) must have intelligence. Young men should have an interest in pursuing knowledge and education. If a young man is not interested in broadening his knowledge and educational horizons-NO NO. YOU definitely will not be dating my daughter.
(2) be respectful. Young men should treat young women as ladies, not conquests, the "w", "b",. and "c" words. Young men should be gentlemen at all times, being a thug is totally inexcusable in my eyes. If YOU choose to be a thug, YOU will NEVER set foot in MY house.
(3) be from a good, stable home. My daughter will NOT date anyone who comes from a less than stable home. A young man is often effected by his home environment. Young men from less than stable home environments are less likely to do well in school and achieve a high level of success later in life. If your home life and/or environment is less than stable, STAY AWAY from my daughter.
(4) have a good socioeconomic background. Parents should have jobs which can decently support a family. A young man's socioeconomic background is often a determinant as to his aspirations, goals , what he wants out of life,and his particular values. His socioeconomic background also influences whether he will settle for nothing or near nothing in life or achieve the highest that his human potential decrees. If you DO NOT have the proper socioeconomic background, MY daughter will NOT date him.
(5) be ethical. A young man is to have a sense level of accountability and responsibility. He should know what is right and wrong and not veer from it. He should have a sense of honor. If YOU do not possess such values, over my DEAD BODY will you date my daughter.
(6) have a good relationship with his parents and/or siblings, especially his mother and/or sisters. Young men who have good relationships with his mother and/or sisters tend to treat other females respectfully. If you have a poor relationship with your mother and/or sisters, NO WAY in h***** will YOU date my daughter.
Here are my hypothetical rules for dating my daughter.
Correction: The last sentence to #4 should read If you DO NOT have the proper socioeconomic background, MY daughter will NOT date you, not him. Sorry for the error.
Thanks for taking time to write a long comment. I love that No 6 is there. I always watch how a man relates to his mum/sisters. However, on No 3, kids can't help what influences their background. So, a partner could have a good influence & help t
Your daughter is the one that needs to know your rules, which has been discussed with her endlessly. She should be able to define each and every statement on your tee and explain to you exactly what you mean be each one.
I don't have children but I have almost grown-up nieces and they're like daughters to me. I see it best making clear to her date (the man of my age) of my understanding that love measures no age, and of him to mark in his heart and mind that the best wishes he's ever had for his own daughters are the same wishes I'd like him to understand for mine. Perhaps by beginning things with respect and trust, everything else reciprocates.
by Grace Marguerite Williams 8 years ago
As a parent, if your teenage daughter wanted to date a boy from a poorer background, would youforbid it? The premise here is that boys from poorer backgrounds have absolutely nothing to offer girls from more affluent backgrounds. In essence, it would be a losing battle to say the...
by Audrey Selig 2 years ago
Should young teens date older guys?? For example 14 age girl 18 or over age guy?
by LoriSoard 9 years ago
At what age would you let your daughter date?We've always said 15 for group dating and 16 for dating, but then we changed it a bit with our youngest who can be boy crazy and told her we'll have to see. I let her go out if I am present and it is chaperoned, etc. Just wondering what everyone else...
by Christian L Perry 3 years ago
What is the root cause of poverty in the world?
by dashingscorpio 8 years ago
When dating do you believe there is real difference between being shallow and having preferences?If a man refuses to date women who are overweight and a woman refuses to date men who are shorter than her would you consider them to be shallow? or Would you view it as having specific preferences?...
by Grace Marguerite Williams 5 years ago
Affluent/educated parents out there, what dating, relationship, & marriage advice would you give toyour children? Would you always advise them to only date, enter into a relationship with, &/or marry a person of the same or higher educational & socioeconomic...
Copyright © 2021 Maven Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers on this website. HubPages® is a registered trademark of Maven Coalition, Inc. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. Maven Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers to this website may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|