jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Why, or is this okay or not?

1. profile image56
    TjTimCoxposted 4 years ago

Why, or is this okay or not?

Is it ok to give a happy birthday wish to your ex even when you are in a current relationship with someone?

2. cebutouristspot profile image76
    cebutouristspotposted 4 years ago

Depends, on how open are you with your current girlfriend.

If its ok with her then it is.  If it is not then you should respect her wishes

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Only you know what is right for you!
    Having said that there should not be any "double standards". In other words if it's fine for you to remain in contact with your ex then it should be fine for your mate to remain in contact with their ex.
    Situations like this have nothing to do with "right" or "wrong" and everything to do with "agree" or "disagree". Ultimately the goal is to find someone who (naturally) agrees with us on things we consider important. When you disagree one of you has to decide whether or not if it's a "deal breaker".
    Generally speaking most people do not seek out a mate to "change" them. They want to be loved and accepted for who (they) are. If someone believes in staying in contact with exes and their mate does not want them to then they have decide if they want to change their ways/life for the person they're (presently) dating.
    Suppose this relationship ends, do you get back in touch with your ex because your new mate doesn't have a problem with it? Life is much easier if you always stay true to yourself instead of reinventing yourself each time you get into a new relationship.

4. jellygator profile image92
    jellygatorposted 4 years ago

Depends on what kind of birthday wish, I imagine. I simple shout-out on Facebook wouldn't be a big deal. A card, okay. Anything more than that might have me raising an eyebrow.

5. meghabrito profile image76
    meghabritoposted 4 years ago

Whatever you do, be true to your conscience. If that inner truth tells you to wish then do it. If your wish is not taken well, then at least you'd have solace within that you tried to do the right thing.

6. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 4 years ago

No. An ex is an ex for a reason. If you happen to be out and about and bump into them, go ahead and say hello and part ways. But, do not continue communicating with them in any way shape or form once you are exes. Also, do not seek them out or go places to meet them. Holding this standard keeps life uncomplicated and keeps your current relationship happier. Even if you are not currently in a relationship and hold to this standard, your potential match will most likely prefer that you not be tangled up with an ex or anyone else and completely open for the love they wish to give you.

7. Joel Okimoto profile image77
    Joel Okimotoposted 4 years ago

I would think it should be fine. Assuming you are talking about wishing someone a happy birthday over Facebook there shouldn't be any problems. If you are really concerned I would either confront your current partner and run it by them, or I would wish this person a happy birthday over a private message, a text or even in person. You don't need to publicly broadcast it to the world.

8. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I don't think this is a good idea. Giving a birthday wish to an ex is a wrong idea. The special time spent together  would mean something to  them and this would be sending mixed signals to the ex.

working