Dealing with lies!!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Cleanclover profile image43
    Cleancloverposted 13 years ago

How do you deal with a person who lies. Specially if the person is the one you love.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Depends on the kind of lies. Worst case scenario; re-evaluate your emotions towards this person.

Cleancloverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is it ok for a person to lie frequently? How can you trust then? Whether small or big a lie is a lie and it creates a feeling of insecurity. Is it necessary to nip it in the bud when its young or should i let it be and focus on other things of this person? Can i anyways assist in changing the behaviour of this person?

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
          schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can't make people change or rely on them to do so.
          Nip it in the bud now.
          Stop having intimacy with them right away------that just sucks you in emotionally

2. iantoPF profile image80
      iantoPFposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't get into the forums other than short bursts and I don't give advice. I'm only replying here because you said "the person is the one you love"
      Like I said I don't give advice. So what do you want to do? If the lies are not a part of your world then why hold on to the person? either you are going to live with it or not. The other persons drama is not yours so either you can live with the other person as they are, lies and all, or you can't and you need your own space.
      It may seem complicated to you if you are caught in someones drama but really it's not complicated at all. You have a life, this is it, it's not a rehearsal it's the real thing. So what are you going to do about YOU? not about the other person but about you.
      What do you need to make you happy?

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

tell 'em 'you need space'...and then take it....

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Well, you can either sit down with them and ask why they don't value you enough to be honest, or you can just stop taking ANYTHING this person says seriously.

Like,literally, just blow everything this person says off, since you obviously can't rely on what comes out of his or her mouth.  So stop listening.

I'd try to talk with them first, but if you have tried and they just don't care how you feel and won't stop lying, and you can't for whatever reason rid yourself of this person who treats like crap in this way, then at least just stop listening to them.  Cover your ears when they talk, "la la la la la, I'm not listening to you.  You are a liar."  Seriously.

4. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

I've lived with liars. Liars can change, but usually they don't want to. It usually just gets worse, because it's an illness. Those who have lied that were a part of my life, are forever cut off from me. I think we're both happy with that decision.

5. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

After a point telling lies is like an addiction, without their knowledge it flows. Needs to be treated like another bad habit and worked on, needs continuous monitoring, have worked with a teenager with this problem , he is now gone of the habit, can be changed .
    There are various levels though... where you may have to get professional help

6. willdave profile image61
    willdaveposted 13 years ago

I take the time necessary to get to know a person thoroughly [b]before[b] I enter into a relationship with her.  If she shows evidence of being a habitual liar, I drop her like hot potato.  I don't even bother to become involved with her.  Lying is one fault that I simply will not tolerate.

7. Cleanclover profile image43
    Cleancloverposted 13 years ago

Thank you all for your thoughts. Really appreciate it. I guess i and we all have to live with the liars and move on i guess...

8. profile image53
    tssanposted 13 years ago

sahi

1. ksha16 profile image58
      ksha16posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lieing is a disease!

9. profile image0
    Uma07posted 13 years ago

You can't change them....just change your own attitude and live the way YOU wish to. smile

10. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

To lie to somebody means to show him/her how little you respect him and his opinion. Stay away!

Cleancloverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True!!

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
        schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

take your own advice, I know it's not easy to do when you're in love...

11. profile image53
    femguyposted 13 years ago

Once they start lying, nothing can be taken as the truth ever again!

12. JayDeck profile image60
    JayDeckposted 13 years ago

Move along.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yep.

just lie your running to the store really quick and start driving smile

1. Hotplate profile image61
        Hotplateposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd be lying if I said that I ever ran anywhere.

13. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Typically lying (or lieing) is not the only destructive behavior the liar is engaged in. What other things does this person engage in that make you concerned? Is there substance abuse going on?
    I guess it's possible the person is a straight-up sociopath, tho. In that case, you are definitely up against the wall.
    If the person will agree to getting help (psychological)that's great. But they (and you) have a long, uphill climb.
    Good luck! MM

14. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

When children lie, it's usually just because they're kids.  Kids aren't sure of themselves, and they don't always have the maturity to be "brave enough" to tell the truth.  Or, with little kids, some lying is actually a part of their development, as they learn to sort out fantasy, truth, and lies.  It's only my opinion, but I think parents should let children know they don't believe the lies (otherwise, children learn that people believe lies and that is pays off - neither of which is usually true).  I think, though, parents can say something like, "I don't really feel like I can believe what you just said, but I know children sometimes can't make themselves feel brave enough to tell the truth." or "That was an interesting story you just made up."

With grown-ups, I don't think there's anything you can do.  You can let them think you believe them, and they'll keep it up; or you can call them on the lies, but don't expect a liar to turn honest - so what's the point.  Most liars gives off any number of hints that they're full of baloney.  It's just what they do, and they don't even know they're doing it.  (It's why there are people like criminal profilers and experts in body language and choice of words.)  You can see it online when someone is full of baloney:  There are all kinds of obvious clues (at least obvious to anyone who HAS a clue  lol ).  So, I figure, let him spin their tangled webs.  Most people see what they're doing.  They look like fools.  Their lies may work for a while, but inevitably, whatever baloney they're trying to pass off as true doesn't hold water; and liars lose the trust of family and friends, lose readers or listeners, etc.  So, let 'em lie.  The joke is usually on them in any number of ways.

15. profile image57
    scholarshipsformoposted 13 years ago

I would move on if I were with someone that lies. Trust is very important to relationships.

16. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I lived with a liar for 30+ years - it destroys your relationship and it can destroy you if you are not careful. I consider myself a very strong person but it took me a few years to get over it, and it has not stopped even though the only connection left between us are the grown up kids.

You need to understand that a liar actually believes what they are saying, so reasoning with them will not help.  If you can you should stop loving and move on.

17. Joe Badtoe profile image60
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

I once met a woman who confessed to me that she was married to a man who couldn't tell the truth if it popped out of his nderpants and sex with female truths.

She told me that he had a bunch of friends that encouraged him to lie becasue teling lies was ok.

She said some lies he told were small but others were quite big and duped a lot of people who believed his homeboy charm. She even thought some of her man's lies might have caused a few deaths but that she'd rather not think of that because she had to get on with living a comfortable life in a big house.

I said maybe it's time to divorce little George Bushy tail.

Hey Alt P.

Hope you're well and glad you got over your experience. You're a good man with a good soul and I hope your getting the happiness you deserve now.

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks Joe Bad . .   more than over it - I am in heaven with bells on now !  big_smile

1. Joe Badtoe profile image60
        Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

glad to hear it!

Did you hear that priceless bit of news here in the UK? On the day that Cameron announced he was slashing child benefit the Banks announce they were paying £7 billion out in bonuses.

1. alternate poet profile image67
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone would have been surprised at that any more.  maybe that is why i lost contact with my online banking last week big_smile

18. Rajab Nsubuga profile image60
    Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years ago

Which part of a liar do you love? There is a thin line between love and infatuation. Some times lies aren't lies but fore-thoughts that their truths is determined by time.

19. profile image0
    BIKTMIAposted 13 years ago

When people lie it's usually beause of hurt or hurts, assuming. Many times its trying to understand how to communicate with that person.  Lies are very damaging when you don't know all the facts.

20. kmackey32 profile image62
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

Well Said.... Thanks for the info, I try to understand why other people do this...

21. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Pathalogical lying is serious. It's a snare, just like any other addiction. Once it starts at an early age, it progresses, unless treated appropriately.  I say confront the person regularly when they lie to your face. Ignoring it or remaining in denial is only enabling them to continue lying.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)