If you were given an opportunity to glimpse into your future, would you take it?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. brightforyou profile image80
    brightforyouposted 13 years ago

If you were given an opportunity to glimpse into your future, would you take it?

2. Leslie Jo Barra profile image60
    Leslie Jo Barraposted 13 years ago

No, God has my future in His hands and I trust Him.  We might miss some wonderful life learning opportunities if we didn't stumble about.

3. Hmrjmr1 profile image69
    Hmrjmr1posted 13 years ago

Not only No! But heck no, would be afraid of missing 'the dance' if I knew what was ahead.

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

No No No! Why try to see what might be, when you can be enjoying what is. God holds my past present and future in the palm of His Hand and whatever he dishes out to me is fine with me. I am His child and I am happy.

5. Peter-Jan Celis profile image60
    Peter-Jan Celisposted 13 years ago

Our understanding of the word "future" implies IMO that some elements are unknown and (at least look like they) can be influenced by your present actions.

So I think you can not look into your future, because doing so would mean giving up your future.

6. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 13 years ago

What, take all the excitement out of life?

7. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 13 years ago

No I would not. Same reason I will not go to a physic. I don't want to know if anything bad is going to happen to me or my family. Now on the other hand when I was down and upset over a break-up I did go see a physic and all turned out well for me.

8. Sterling Carter profile image60
    Sterling Carterposted 13 years ago

No, because I like surprises.

I think that would spoil the whole reason for living.

We live to experience life, not just look at it.

9. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 13 years ago

Yes..I have. I did not will it...It was fascinating ..then one realizes that such glimpse comes with tremendous responsibility.

10. rishworld profile image67
    rishworldposted 13 years ago

what if a person comes to know that he will die after 48 hrs...will he LIVE those 43 hrs...??

11. Tyk profile image60
    Tykposted 13 years ago

I would like to answer your question with a series of questions. Is it fair to assume one's life is set to be a certain way? Could it be possible that our futures are constantly changing? Do the choices we make daily create what our future is to be? I think that even if we were capable of looking into the future that it would be of limited usefulness. 

The world is constantly changing. People are always making choices. These factors must be considered in what a look into the future would be like. I like the idea of seeing into the future. Although I doubt if it were possible how useful what was seen could be. Just an opinion though.

12. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 13 years ago

abominari  - "to avert an omen" is the stuff of Greek-tragedy when attempting to defy fate.

13. hudlife profile image60
    hudlifeposted 13 years ago

Not a chance! Doctor Emmit Brown has warned us already of the perils of knowing too much about our futures.

14. telltale profile image60
    telltaleposted 13 years ago

I would answer your question with a "Yes" and "No".  Yes, as it would be good to mould my future, and what to avoid, etc.  I believe that with avoidance on things not to do, will guide me to a better future.  No, is because I do not want to know what and when things will happen, especially on bereavement within family members... no matter what I do, I don't think I can prepare myself to face that.

15. levicolemagic profile image60
    levicolemagicposted 13 years ago

Nope. As already mentioned.

it's my life/
    it's better left in chance/
    I could have missed the pain/
    but I'd of had to miss/
    the dance/
    --Garth Brooks (The Dance)

Who I have become in life is do to my experiences.  I may may not have gone through some of them had I known what was coming.  That would have made me a different person.

16. singlmomat52 profile image65
    singlmomat52posted 13 years ago

Not a chance!!! I would not look, I love my life and although times can be tough, it is so wonderful when that light breaks through and things go right and good. I wna tot feel the surprise of the moment and not know it is coming. Great question, thanks!!

17. wearing well profile image74
    wearing wellposted 13 years ago

Deep down, if there is any truth in clairvoyancy, then perhaps at times we've all wondered what the future might hold.Sometimes I feel though that" what will be will be" and that living  through life to the best of your abilities is all you can do;however I love suprises,so personally I wouldn't take it  unless it was a glimpse of a happy day and not too far into the future.If you were to see exactly how your life was destined to be,it might cause you to radically change how you lived life now and then maybe to the detriment of other members of your present family,possible missing out on adventures and good experiences of opportunities,that you would have naturally taken part in had you not been aware of what you've seen in the future.Trust in God,Faith,Mother Nature, Buddhism or anything else that gives you confidence of a fullfilled peaceful life:)
    P.S.My husband was once told by a clairvoyant who he would marry and many other things,that at the time he didn't take seriously and perhaps a little rude to the messenger!;however many years later,he was then reminded of the conversation and was shocked to realise of how many truths had been told!
    "What about you brightforyou,do you want to know about your successful future?"Great Question smile

18. Ms.Ruiz profile image61
    Ms.Ruizposted 13 years ago

yes i would. Im a beliver and get my cards read constantly. I dont belive life is destined, you could change your future. Given that opportunity if one is having constant truble in their lifes and could possibly get help from a "gifted" person, why ta hell not?

19. profile image0
    Ella_90posted 13 years ago

Nah, I'd be too scared of seeing something bad. What would be the point in living if you knew it ended up rubbish in the end. Also if you did see into the future surely, it wouldn't necessarily be the future as you'd end up changing the way you act because you knew what was coming

20. clark farley profile image71
    clark farleyposted 13 years ago

don't want to get all "Master Po" on the question (for you younger readers, Master Po was the wise-teacher dude in the TV series 'Kung Fu' back in the 70s)

But the thing is you do have a glimpse of your future.
    There is a saying, more a like a paraphrase of an older saying, "as it was in the past, so shall it be in the future".

I try to accept that I create my own future. In order to do that I must examine my past, right up until this moment.
    Reality (I choose to believe) is made up of a zillion choices conscious or un-conscious. These choices range from matters of interpretation (i.e. 'what did she mean by that', 'why does he say such a mean thing'?) to what we project to the world, ('I am competent', I am intelligent').

All choices, every day of our lives.
    The thing of it is, most of us get lazy and when it comes to today's 'choices'....we get all, "what the heck, I'll go with the same choices and decisions I made yesterday"

But, since we are talking about decisions that we make, there is always a choice.
    So the most likely future is right there to see and at the same time, anything is possible.

21. profile image50
    ltarranceposted 13 years ago

You cant help but not to, vision lies within us, deep. Planted in our minds and souls, are you listening to the sound without voice? One of gods many lessons, is simply remembering...

may god bless you all, with understanding and compassion.

Namaste.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)