Do you think people who go to church for the most part are mean spirited?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. bayareagreatthing profile image61
    bayareagreatthingposted 12 years ago

Do you think people who go to church for the most part are mean spirited?

If so, why?

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

Absolutely not. In fact the greatest percentage of religious people are truly the salt of the earth. The kind of people you can count on, the kind of people who will do anything they can to help.

The loud (highly vocal) minority, the 'You must obey and believe as I do' crowd is the problem.

3. sholland10 profile image83
    sholland10posted 12 years ago

No, it is only the mean-spirited ones who make the rest look bad.  The mean ones are usually the most judgmental ones who forget Christ saying, "Judge not lest ye be judged," and "Love others as you love yourself."  Satan applauds each time one of these mean ones turns another away from Christ.

4. Pollyannalana profile image61
    Pollyannalanaposted 12 years ago

No for the most part they are not mean spirited, but people who go to church are people and although I would pray and believe most go for the right reasons, fellowship, worship and growing in the Word of God, many do not. A pastor came into my husband and my business and said we should come to his church to pick up more customers, that it would be good for our business. We never wanted to hear another word he had to say, so even pastors and leaders in the churches don't always go for the right reasons, although they may be good spirited even, what does it profit them?

5. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

In my experiences, No, not for the most part.

There, they are also,  those with a mean and hurtful spirit, as they are in any group or crowd.  They do not
    usually remain a part of any long term congregation.  When they sense that
    people are getting there " number", they move on, as all bullies do.

Most Church going people, no matter what " Church", come for the healing, then the learning, and finally to encourage others to grow in the faith.   Some, well versed and well living people, do not attend the Church house meeting at all, because, they too, have been scarred by such mean spirited people.

The basic belief of the Chruch dictates,  that we are  to accept you, on faith, as you present yourself, before knowing what you really are.   Most of the time, this is a great and noble thing, sometimes, there  is a bad seed among us.

6. zzron profile image58
    zzronposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/3137685_f260.jpg

No, most are laid back, mellow and happy and I believe at peace with themselves.

7. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I think it's too easy to form generalisations either way. Many people will likely say that people going to church are more caring, or considerate, some will say the opposite. The reality is that all sorts of people go to church, just as all sorts of people don't go to church. Attending church doesn't mean you're a good or bad person. How you treat people in everyday life dictates that.

8. Mark Upshaw profile image61
    Mark Upshawposted 12 years ago

Yes, I believe they are. By and large, those that attend church regularly see themselves as better than those that don't or simply tend to judge/measure everyone by some artificial standard of an exterior posture rather than by the gist of a person: that divine spark that lies within every human being. When those judgmental filters (scales upon the eyes - or the plank in the eye) are let go then only the divine spark is seen and no judgment other than amazement can be seen.

Now, how many church goers see you or me as the divine spark of God? Not one that I know. They see everyone as the sinner or the crucifier of their savior. Or the infidel or even if it is your neighbor in the pew, they still see you as any other than  the divine spark of God - forgiven by God.

9. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

Definitely NOT SO! They are very friendly, very loving, very caring, very compassionate, and extremely complex people.

10. profile image0
    Rosemary Banksposted 12 years ago

No I don't think they are mean spirited as much as I think they are slick and fake.

11. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 11 years ago

I don't think people who go to church are mean spirited, but I do think that some (not all) have a tendency to be a little critical or judgmental of others.

And I think it's just our eagerness or over zealousness in wanting to share the gospel with others and our desire to see others put on the path towards righteous living, and that can be misconstrued as mean spirited, or judgmental.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)