jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do so many people reject such an invitation?

1. aka-dj profile image75
    aka-djposted 6 years ago

Why do so many people reject such an invitation?

Jesus said, "come to me, all you who are weighed down, and I will give you rest". He made numerous invitations for people to come to Him, yet so many still reject His offer.

Is it because those who pose the question in His name don't do it adequately, or is the invitation not worthy of consideration?

What other thoughts do you have? Maybe you are one who rejected, and wants to answer why.

2. profile image0
    SirDentposted 6 years ago

Some believe they can clean up themselves.  Others believe they are good enough to get into Heaven on their own merits.  Still others just don't believe it at all not because they do not feel conviction, but because they were raised to believe in their own self.  I am sure there are other reasons.

3. DIMIR profile image82
    DIMIRposted 6 years ago

In my past, I had very bad experiences with religious leaders and facilities.  As well, baptist preachers come to my school multiple times a year and openly insult students.  It isn't "come to this side where eternal glory waits."  Instead they yell about how every college student will burn in hell and the homosexuals should be stoned.  I wish that was more of an exaggeration than it was.  It isn't that the offer or message is exceptionally bad, but the problem is the loudest presenters for Christianity have a history of being some of the worst choices for the job.  700 Club?  Political candidates?  I know many kind-hearted Christians as well, that is not the problem.  We are a self-reliant generation, where a large amount of kids grow up in divorced homes and with single parents, or families with little financial support.  When kids have to live for themselves, things like "God is here for you" sound less authentic.  Faith is just that, faith.  It takes particular people to be able to believe in gods and messiahs, and some of us just aren't that way.

4. Ms Dee profile image86
    Ms Deeposted 6 years ago

Selfish pride. It is the root of thinking one does not need God or a Savior.

5. aguasilver profile image80
    aguasilverposted 6 years ago

They are not interested, maybe they had bad experiences with those folk who 'inoculate' kids against Christ, or they feel that it will muck their lives up if they accept the invitation.

For most they have been fed the lie of thinking they are too rational to accept any invitation from an 'invisible friend'.

The enemy has an agenda, and a whole lot of people buy into that agenda, and even work to promote that agenda.

No problem, we are not required to do anything other than send out the invitations, what anyone does about it is of no concern to believers

6. Alexander Mark profile image83
    Alexander Markposted 6 years ago

The first temptation from the devil was that Eve could be just like God - it was the desire to be equal with God that got us into trouble, and that is still humanity's biggest problem: we want to be know-it-alls to the point of rejecting God in favor of our own knowledge of good and bad. This is what drives most people to reject Christ.

Then there are some who just can't believe such a huge gift is so simple and easy to get - but this points to pride as Ms Dee stated. We want to make ourselves justified - we think we need to earn it.

working