jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Where do your beliefs come from? Family, Self, Friend, Experience???

1. Cre8tor profile image96
    Cre8torposted 5 years ago

Where do your beliefs come from? Family, Self, Friend, Experience???

2. Marturion profile image61
    Marturionposted 5 years ago

All of the above.  We are creatures formed of life experience, be it the morals and ethics impressed upon us at our youth, or by the conscious decisions made throughout life.  They all work together to form who we are and what we believe.

3. profile image0
    ctbrown7posted 5 years ago

I would have to say all of the above.  We are all having our beliefs shaped and influenced by the people around us.  I would say the strongest influences are probably the family and personal experiences, however.

4. wayseeker profile image94
    wayseekerposted 5 years ago

I agree with everyone else, with one exception.  It began with family, changed to self, evolved through friends, became deeper through friends and, finally, came to where it is by the breath of God.  It shall continue to evolve through all of these.

5. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

It comes from everything in life that I have in contact with. I have a personal experience that enhance my belief and with the support of family and friends, we talk about it and explore deeper.

Only with my belief in life, I grow to be a better person to society and teaching my kids the same belief I have.

6. ib radmasters profile image60
    ib radmastersposted 5 years ago

My  beliefs come from me, although like everyone else you start out with the beliefs of your family, and then your relatives and friends. Then you grow up and you develop your own. Unfortunately, that is not the case for most people. Take the loyal party voter that votes for the same party as did his parents. Also the people that are in the same religion of their parents.

7. alisha4u profile image38
    alisha4uposted 5 years ago

There are usually numerous sources causing a person to believe in a particular manner... Mine come primarily from parents, then friends....

8. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

Beliefs come from 'believing', that is, accepting what is told to us by figures who weald authority and credibility in our lives.  However, our own experiences sometimes prove these to be erroneous, sometimes even completely false at times - hence many an argument with parents, relatives and even teachers as time goes by.   

There is a problem that once we accept a belief, whether it be induced in us by others or by ourselves, we tend to strengthen it by our bias.  For example, the publications we read, and the people we deliberately choose to mix with.

Really, the only things we can be absolutely sure of are those we have experienced first hand.  But these are no longer beliefs but KNOWINGS.   If we're true to our knowings, then we can't go too far wrong in our lives.   But even here, we need to keep an open mind for even the things we know are subject to change.

9. mintinfo profile image74
    mintinfoposted 5 years ago

As a Dohgon, my spirituality centers on natural numbers and how those natural numbers can help me to be accountable to the natural laws of nature. Natural Numbers are also my spiritual connection to the intelligence of the universe. I know people will ask where the proof is and how Dohgon Spirituality stand up against thousands of years of organized religion but I say Dohgon Spirituality predates them all. read more

working