jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Why is insight from a child's mouth considered inferior?

1. JosieLee profile image77
    JosieLeeposted 5 years ago

Why is insight from a child's mouth considered inferior?

Even though it sometimes surpasses that of an adult.

2. dmop profile image77
    dmopposted 5 years ago

I suppose it depend on who is considering it. I have always believed that children have something more to offer than many others are willing to accept. I think children are born knowing things that we adults have unlearned over that years.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Is it?  I don't think everyone would think so.  My own children were incredibly insightful and we always listened to them and weighed what they had to say.  I think it depends more who is listening, then the one who is speaking.

4. buckleupdorothy profile image82
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

I don't believe it is. Children generally speak without concern for social niceties, making their comments more meaningful than most.

5. Randy J Bradley profile image60
    Randy J Bradleyposted 5 years ago

If anyone considers anything from a child's mouth inferior they lack insight of there own. So to answer the question of "why".
    Because they themselves lack insight and are lifted up with false pride which makes them unteachable.

6. Shawn May Scott profile image59
    Shawn May Scottposted 5 years ago

I think it has to do with age and education and whether the child is being taken seriously. We do as adults close doors in our minds and often block out what is so obvious and straight forward. Children can often see things differently through a far less cluttered mind and sometimes the simplicity is taken as inferior.

7. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 5 years ago

I have to say that I don't agree. I think that often teenagers words are considered inferior which I think is a big shame...but my parents tell me that great grandpa quoted me (when I was 3!) at my baby brothers funeral. It does often surpass that of an adult, because they are more open minded and see and hear much more than we realise; including stuff that we ourselves don't see or hear, because through time we choose not to notice certain things (for a good reason).

8. relawshe profile image73
    relawsheposted 5 years ago

I think it's very unfortunate that children's insights are considered inferior by many people, but I suppose that there are some things that children simply do not know yet.  They don't have life experiences and learned knowledge, so that could be why they're not taken seriously.  However, they do possess wonder, imagination, blind faith, creativity, knowing how to play in earnest, and other things which us adults need to re-learn!

9. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

I don't agree that it is.  Children speak from a place of natural integrity uncensored by influences and (lies) coverups of adults.  They speak truth and adults often cannot tolerate this raw integrity.

10. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

For what its worth, it was spoke of things coming from the mouths of babes (children) in the bible and not to always over look their reasoning. One small comment from a child has the power to change an adults perspective on life. They view things differently than adults. Most adults are filled with fears while most children are filled with hope.

working