jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How do you find faith when all you have is doubt? How do you dismiss the doubt a

1. Melissa F. Bennet profile image66
    Melissa F. Bennetposted 5 years ago

How do you find faith when all you have is doubt? How do you dismiss the doubt and just believe?

2. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 5 years ago

If there is doubt, then you need to address it.  Intellectually honesty requires tough questions to be asked.  Christianity cannot answer the criticisms of it.  That's why I gave it up.

Doubt is essential for the future of mankind.  We have to be skeptical of claims that are not proven.  Ask people what evidence or argument they have.  Don't simply blindly believe what authority figures have said.

3. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

I think you could argue that we are all creatures of faith. Do we doubt for the sake of doubting? Or do we in fact doubt because we believe there is something deeper yet to be discovered? A person of doubt is merely one who refuses to believe what is in front of them because they believe it can not be the truth. Have faith in the quest, not the false ends that are placed in your way.

4. sandrabusby profile image86
    sandrabusbyposted 5 years ago

I think the doubts have to be explored.  Just accepting what somebody tells you will not carry you through the difficult times.  We must experience life for ourselves before we can have a faith that will sustain us.

5. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
    Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years ago

The only way to dismiss doubt and "just believe" is ignorance. Ignore the doubt.

Of course I personally prefer to be honest with myself. I dont understand why people believe that "faith is a virtue".

To me that is just something someone says when they want someone  to believe what they are saying without them having to provide any evidence for their claim.

6. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

No need to dismiss doubt to just believe. Never believe in something for the sake of believing. I tried for many year to "just believe". In the process I lost myself. When I stopped trying to just believe and accepted my doubt as who and what I was I became a much happier person. Doubt does not have to be a bad thing. Quite often it is the only rational option available.

7. pstraubie48 profile image87
    pstraubie48posted 5 years ago

If you have faith, it is a way to grow. Discover the source, the reason for your doubt. Talk with others about your feelings...especially those who will listen to your concerns with an open mind.
    There have been times when I have had doubts. Truthfully, to me they were scary times, lonely times, times when I was reaching out for God's direction and strength to carry me through times which I found troubling and difficult. 
    Be still. And wait. God is there...He is. He is carrying you through your time of doubt.

8. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

Love, love, love, love... and have I mentioned, Love? We have two basic emotions, fear and love. Everything else stems from them. If you focus on love then fear can not be present! God bless! smile

9. Vegas Elias profile image28
    Vegas Eliasposted 5 years ago

Doubts arise in an intelligent mind. Being intelligent is not a sin. Doubts should be properly addressed and answered. Once this is done true faith is born otherwise it is blind faith which is not strong.

working