jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Are possibilities real?

1. celticdude7 profile image69
    celticdude7posted 6 years ago

Are possibilities real?

Going through a book about different theories of personality an odd notion was mentioned (I'm not sure which theory I was on, possibly Addler's theory). The notion that possibilities are not real things. Just vague notions of things that might be. How I have wrapped my head around this is to think of a possibility as more of a possibly idea or concept that may come to reality, but is not in of itself real. This sounds a bit fishy to me though. Any other interpretations or ideas on the matter?

2. jeyaramd profile image76
    jeyaramdposted 6 years ago

Possibilities are dependent on your fate and your efforts. Sometimes, we have to hope for the best and when possibilities materialism it becomes real. Real because it has paved the way for our success. However, missed possibilities or opportunities are a learning lesson. Perhaps, there are better possibilities awaiting.

3. bmcoll3278 profile image76
    bmcoll3278posted 6 years ago

I think of possibilities as decisions not yet made. Any time a living thing makes a decision the possibilities change every thing in life it controlled by thought. Nothing can happen without first being thought in some way so each new thought creates a new possibility.  Maybe kind of simplistic by I am a simple guy.

4. stanwshura profile image75
    stanwshuraposted 6 years ago

Perhaps it's because I am quite literal, in some contexts "famously" ( or notoriously!) so, maybe I'm unable to get past the surface of your question, but I can only fathom the answer which is obvious to me:  the question answers itself with a 'yes' because it is nearly redundant.  To my mind, it's like asking if clouds are cloudy...

5. loveofnight profile image82
    loveofnightposted 6 years ago

I have read everyones answer to this question and it leaves me with one thought on my mind and that is we all are right. It is almost like Einstein's theory of relativity taking into effect the angle from which we view a thing. We all see the same thing but our view of that thing is different.Sometimes I believe that we get caught up in the thicket of words.....For me it is best to eat the meat and throw the bones away.

6. celticdude7 profile image69
    celticdude7posted 6 years ago

As far as the answers being relative, I disagree. Either possiblilities are real or they are not. Which possibilities are real (if they are) to each person would be subjective and perhaps even relative, but as far as to an all encompassing answer to the reality of possibilities, no.

7. Jewels profile image84
    Jewelsposted 6 years ago

Perhaps it's the question that needs tweaking.  Possibilities are not manifested or become a tangible reality until they are acted upon.  A possibility is a chance future.  An idea that has not become unpacked is only a thought.  The thought is real but it's in a reality that does not have dimensionality.  Once a thought is manifested into a substance it can be given dimension and will then appear real outside yourself.

8. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

Everything is either "real" or "ideal." If real, it belongs to the material universe bound by time and space. If ideal it exists only in thought.

That is not the only perspective on human life, but it is a classic one and a valid way of seeing the world. In it possibilities, not yet having been realized but having their being only in the imagination, are ideal, and therefore not real.

working