Is it time to eradicate all religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. itsameanoldscene profile image61
    itsameanoldsceneposted 12 years ago

Is it time to eradicate all religion?

2. Sage in a Cage profile image80
    Sage in a Cageposted 12 years ago

I think to eradicate religion would be along the same lines as forcing people to follow a religion. I think it is time to belive in whatever you choose to believe and to live in a world where you can tell others your beliefs (or lack of them) without fear of judgement.

3. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6498532_f260.jpg

Is it time to eradicate all religions? Sure. Let's start with yours.

4. MarleneB profile image90
    MarleneBposted 12 years ago

No! Strike up the religious band! I'm being overly facetious right now.

Religion is what people believe in. It's what they stand for. Everyone has their own belief. I can't imagine a society where people didn't believe in something. If we eradicate all religion then no one would believe in anything and I can foresee a lot of chaos in not having a structured belief system. For instance, I believe there is only one God and I honor Him my way (according to my religion). Others believe there is only one God, too. They honor Him their way (according to their religion). Who is to say whose religion reins? And, who has the right to take either of our religions away? No. It is not time to eradicate all religion. By the way, this is an excellent question.

5. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 12 years ago

Banning religions is the fast route to dictatorship, it would be as bad as the worst excessess of the early church.

6. TexasBobby profile image66
    TexasBobbyposted 12 years ago

The fact of the matter is... Billions of people find comfort in religion every day. In my opinion to deny that many people the hope and peace that they find in religion would be an inhumane crime.

7. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 12 years ago

Eradicating all religion would be impossible. Attempting to do it has led to the death of tens of millions - witness the Nazi holocaust and the death of 25 million in The People's Republic of China and the horrors of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

There are some folk religious practices that Imperial China and Communist China have been trying to eradicate for over 2,000 years without success.

With and without religion, people do awful things.

But, with and without religion, people do awesome things, as well. The art, beauty, peace, spirituality and harmony of the world is found in each of us - and as much in religion as outside it.

Let us focus on peace, with or without religion. And let us do the possible, rather than speculate on the impossible.

8. CR Rookwood profile image71
    CR Rookwoodposted 12 years ago

Um, how would you do that? Do they sell big bags of religion eradicator next to the grub killer at garden stores?

OK, I'm putting up the sarcasm now.

Why are some people so cranked up about what other people believe? I feel like if it isn't harming me then it isn't my business. For instance, I wouldn't want to be Mormon, but I don't really care if Mitt Romney is. Why would I care? I have enough to do just keeping my socks clean and fresh.

If you want to have personal freedom, you have to learn tolerance. If you find certain beliefs abhorrent, you have to find a way to detach from the fact that some people choose them. When tolerance isn't possible, you can always cultivate detachment. But most of the time, tolerance IS possible and not that hard, really.

I used to work at a place that employed many right wing Christians, and I am very obviously not one. Sometimes people would pitch me their take on salvation and what not and I'd just say no thanks. It doesn't have to be a big battle. A polite no works in most cases even if you have to repeat it several times. It's the politeness that is key. Politeness AND no thanks. It's only on the internet that people are so pushy and rude. I rarely experience that in person.

I can also tell you that I've learned a lot about people by listening to what they believe and why, and even though it might not be for me I sometimes end up having more respect for them once I can be still enough to listen and not so anxious to argue.

Religion is vital to many people. As long as no one is getting burned at the stake, I think we have to let people make their own choices.

1. profile image0
      bmcoll3278posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great statement I feel the same let other people live their lives and live yours just respect each others rights and it should be fine.

9. profile image0
    bmcoll3278posted 12 years ago

That has been tried how many times? It wont work mankind needs a belief system that contains something bigger than himself. The fight over different beliefs would stop but society would collapse as well.

10. taw2012 profile image61
    taw2012posted 12 years ago

No. and there is no time to eradicate religion either.

11. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

no it's not. though i'm an atheist, not everyone can get through life without having something to believe in that is all powerful. i find religion rediculous but it would be horrible for many people if it ceased to exist.

12. Darrell Roberts profile image69
    Darrell Robertsposted 12 years ago

i could understand where you are coming from.  However, I do not thiink that eradicating religion, if that were possible, would solve the real issues plaguing humanity.  Lust, Greed, Anger, intolerance are some of the real issues.  With or without religion they will be there.

I think that humanity as a whole should focus on finding a peaceful way to live together and share the resources of our wonderful planet better.  In, terms of religion, no one knows for certain who really is right or wrong, that will be determined after death.

Best wishes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)