jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Excellence is a Standard, Not a Goal, Agree or Disagree?

1. bankscottage profile image95
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

Excellence is a Standard, Not a Goal, Agree or Disagree?

I feel excellence is a standard that you live, accepting nothing lower.  It is not a goal that you try to achieve and accept something less.  Always be the best!  Do you agree or disagree?

2. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 5 years ago

On the whole, I disagree.  I, too, strive for excellence in all things, but when I fail, it does me no good to fail to accept that failure.

Only if I accept it and forgive myself can I really learn from it.

If you can always 'be the best,' then I'm in awe--and jealous.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I think excellence can be one, the other or both.   No matter how good one is, he can always be better.  People can have excellence as a goal or they can demand it.  It's a choice, nothing more.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Being excellent is an objective to a person like myself.

It is an achievement where we strive to maintain a certain standard in our lives. It can be a goal setting for individual as well. In life, it is ever learning process therefore to achieve excellence, it can be like having your goal.

5. bmcoll3278 profile image76
    bmcoll3278posted 5 years ago

I believe every customer stays with my employer because as a company we put the customer first. Each day I have several customers to install and each one is my only one until finished and has my full attention.  Excellence is a Standard every part of the install or whatever work you do should be above standard in every way.

6. DeanCash profile image60
    DeanCashposted 5 years ago

You can be exceptionally good on something but you cannot make it as a standard to anybody. You can be good in computers but you came along with people who never see one, so for them what you know is nothing to them. But if you teaches what you know to them then you become excellent.

7. backporchstories profile image79
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

I agree that we should always try to reach beyond what we feel we can achieve, however, we should not discourage ourselves or lower our esteem when those "standards" can not be met.  Satisfaction comes from knowing you gave it your all.  Though I do have to ponder about the country of Japan, where their standard is excellance.  Their students excell more than any other in the world by far, yet look at the state of the country. There is overpopulation and a great deal of pressure put upon the students to rise to the "standard" and they may mentally suffer for it.  They may be well off financially, but where are they spiritually?

8. MilesArmbruster profile image59
    MilesArmbrusterposted 5 years ago

I remember when I worked as a salesperson at a department store. I always treated people kindly and with respect, and followed the stores guidelines on customer service. Whenever I was evaluated, I was told about how well I served the customers and how great that was. I always told my boss that I had assumed that following the company guidelines was the basic starting point and that doing less was not an option.

9. Cassandra Goduti profile image60
    Cassandra Godutiposted 5 years ago

I agree that Excellence is a standard. It is a standard based on point of view. We try to be the best we can be, but ultimately when one reaches excellence they are usually receiving an award.

10. Cherrietgee profile image79
    Cherrietgeeposted 5 years ago

I say that excellence is both a standard AND a goal because those words are essentially two sides of the same coin. The word "goal" can be defined as 'something an individual wants to achieve'. "Standard" can be defined as a 'level or quality of excellence.' When people set goals, they must have standards with to measure those goals. I really don't think a person could have one without the other.

A person may have a standard of excellence in that that live in a way that they accept nothing less than the best. That same person has to have a method for measuring whether or not they've surpassed mediocrity and crossed over into excellence and a plan for actually getting there.

They go hand in hand. Can't have one without the other.