jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

Is the human mind capable of comprehending who/what God is?

1. Anishpat profile image81
    Anishpatposted 5 years ago

Is the human mind capable of comprehending who/what God is?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6849798_f260.jpg

2. Apostle Jack profile image62
    Apostle Jackposted 5 years ago

No.i am afraid not my friend....because it is a SPIRITUAL DEFINITION that explain the concept of intelligence and communication,and is beyond scientific and   technical  equations.
    Spirituality is the only way that one can communicate and a union with or even understand the existence of God.

3. wilderness profile image97
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Doubtful.  It is my observation that people generally have the God that they want to have.  Those that want a loving, kind God have one.  Those that want a violent, demanding God have one.  Those that don't like homosexuality have a God that abhors and denies it, those that don't care either way have a God that doesn't care either and those that embrace homosexuality have a God that accepts and embraces it.

This leads to the conclusion that people create whatever God(s) they want to have without real concern as to what God is or what God wants from them.  Comprehension is thus nearly nil as to what might be real - that God matches their own desires and wants, their own belief and ethical system, counts far more than real understand and comprehension of Him.

1. Grim Master profile image60
      Grim Masterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Many people, especially the church, would promote the true word of god, thinking it is absolute, when really it is just their own interpretation. If he's real, then surely god would have limited our minds to what we can comprehend.

2. lone77star profile image82
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant, Wilderness. Well said. But what you say is true only because ego is so prevalent. Without ego, viewing truth is possible. The human brain is incapable of experiencing God. Only the child of God can do that, and He's not Homo sapiens

4. Catherine Kane profile image83
    Catherine Kaneposted 5 years ago

I don't think it is possible to totally fit an infinite Being into a finite mind (including mine) but I believe that God gives us as much understanding as we are capable of...

5. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 5 years ago

On our own terms and level, yes.  But the infinite aspect of God?  No.  We are part and parcel of God, and stepping away enough to see God's entirely is impossible.

6. tlmcgaa70 profile image78
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

actually, yes. the mind is not the brain. the miond is connected to our soul or is our soul. the brain is the physical while the mind is the spiritual. it is the mind that would be the one that does the understanding of GOD. our brain is the one that denies the existance. it is purely logical.

7. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

I think the brain conceptualizes the idea of God, whereas the spirit is capable of comprehending, communicating, and communing with Him.

8. Froggy213 profile image49
    Froggy213posted 5 years ago

My answer to a question...Can we really comprehend God? This is my opinion. read more

9. Rai 18 profile image60
    Rai 18posted 5 years ago

To be honest, no we can't completely understand everything about God.  Like for example, it is hard for me to picture that God has always existed.  He didn't have a beginning like we do.  But God is so loving that we provided us a way to get to know him through the Bible.

10. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

Men have attempted to comprehend who/what God is, and this for thousands of years since civilization has begun. Many forms of religion have evolved from the early times. People around the world with their diverse cultures have many concepts of who God is. My own understanding is that God is the entity or entities that created us and what we consider to be the universe. God as we understand Him may be formed from the cosmos, the atoms that make up every animate and inanimate form and a living part of all. The Creator is seen on a personal basis by any and all and will always be a mystery that was meant to be so, yet followed by each, in faith.
    As human kind, and with a developed brain. we are naturally seeking answers to the mysteries of life and often form our own opinions in the process. I also believe that each one develops their own spirit or soul as they live, and this will go to be with the great spirit, combined with many other spirits from the creation, upon our demise, in bodily form.

11. lone77star profile image82
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

The human mind or brain is incapable of anything spiritual. It can think of spirit, but it cannot do spiritual things.

And ego cannot comprehend God, either.

Only the child of God (soul, spirit, true self) within can comprehend God, because the child was created in His image and likeness. And God is not Homo sapiens.

working