jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (21 posts)

What is your strategy for overcoming fear?

1. midget38 profile image92
    midget38posted 5 years ago

What is your strategy for overcoming fear?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6993722_f260.jpg

2. OneFineG467 profile image62
    OneFineG467posted 5 years ago

What kind of fear is it facing a wild animal out of cage, a madman with a knife or a gun or seeing a ghost sitting in your living room in the middle of the night..people pay to watch horror movies so they can get scared. If your are talking about facing or addressing a crowd, attending interviews those things can solved. I have never seen a ghost but i get spooked out through my own imagination especially after seeing a scary movie and i like reading ghost stories.

midget38posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Guess we have to visualize the good that can happen instead of the bad! It always helps turn the negative into positive. Think of the best and it happens!

2. ptosis profile image81
      ptosisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Boo! We like scary movies the same way we like scary roller coasters - give us a rush of dangers - yet still feel safe.

3. shruti sheshadri profile image60
    shruti sheshadriposted 5 years ago

I keep repeating to myself in such stupid situations "screw it, lets do it !"

4. rcrumple profile image82
    rcrumpleposted 5 years ago

Face it! 
    Learn everything you can possibly learn to gain knowledge that can help you to overcome it.  With knowledge, comes power!  Use it to your benefit.
    Stop acknowleging the fear!
    The more you accept it, the greater the foe it will become.  Instead, minimize it and find where its limits are less than yours.
    Prepare!
    Take baby steps, but always make sure the steps are made.  The better you get at this preparation, the greater the self confidence and readiness you need will become.
    Fear can control you or you can control fear.  Make your abilities superior to the fear and what it can do.  Take control and do it!
    *Disclaimer:  I am not responsible ............

Too true, Richard. We've to take baby steps and stop saying that we're afraid; we'll definitely become that way. And it's never too early to prepare!! Love the disclaimer!

5. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 5 years ago

I think the greatest or most significant deterrent to overcome fear is to truly convince yourself that death is not the end-all. Now if you have a fear of public speaking or something similar; then indeed face it after you have prepared and you will indeed quickly realize that the fear was an over-reaction or illogical issue...

Yes, preparedness helps you to overcome all fear. If we are, then we realize that we are not far off the mark! Thanks for dropping by!

6. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Facing your own fear to overcome it.

I always believe that if someone else can do it, why not me? So, eventually I will overcome it with several attempts.

7. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Being the first born, I've had to learn to deal with all my fears quite early on in life. I do believe in Gaurdian Angels, the Power of Love and if one is a true believer in God, the help which is received is beoyond scientific explantations. If you'd like, the following article might be enlightening:
    http://www.helium.com/items/2297027-the … ear-itself

Thanks, Garifalia! God and his love conquer fear. Science can't explain that! Thanks for dropping by, and I appreciate the useful link!

8. Ann1Az2 profile image69
    Ann1Az2posted 5 years ago

My biggest looming fear at the moment is playing the piano for church in two weeks. The only way I'm going to get over that is to practice, which I've been doing. I've come to the conclusion that all I can do is practice and do my best. Being prepared helps lesson the fear.

Good luck with that Ann! You'll do a fantastic job, I can feel it.  Absolutely right, all we can do is our best....and as long as we have that in mind, it's worth the effort.

9. greeneryday profile image80
    greenerydayposted 5 years ago

Confronting the fear, whatever it may be

10. ginjill ashberry profile image78
    ginjill ashberryposted 5 years ago

Hi, Midget38, I used to be a coward. Afraid of almost everything. Spiders, worms, leeches, thunder, under a night sky, ghosts, criminals, authority, judgments, failures, rejections, abandonment bla..bla..

It took much courage to overcome these things, since it wasn't only the squirmy, slimy, or apparitions but i was afraid about many things. As I grow older, I became braver. There was no one and there's only the fear and me. I had to help myself to overcome it. Face it upfront, refuse to budge even when my heart was doing a crazy beat and my legs were shaky.

And you guys better believe this, i stopped being afraid of ghosts through rage.I just got angry of the constant fear and my little one was affected. And many times act fearlessly in the midst of danger whenever a relative or friend is at risk. Love compels you to be. Perfect Love Casts away All Fears.

Indeed, love in our heart casts away fear. It's amazing what our love for others can make us do1 We were all afraid, or still are of something; just have to find the motivating factor to get out of it.

11. wandererh profile image76
    wandererhposted 5 years ago

One technique that works for me is to rationalize or face the fear and ask yourself, "What is the worst that can happen?"  I find that when you actually face the fear and actually work through the worst that can possibly happen, the fear loses its power over you.

12. YvetteParker profile image75
    YvetteParkerposted 5 years ago

Acknowldege your fear; and then activate your faith to conquer it.

Admit the fear and then be determined to use our faith to conquer it....sounds great to me!

13. petenali profile image88
    petenaliposted 5 years ago

Fear is the opposite of faith.  I once heard this to describe F.A.I.T.H.:
    Forsaking All I Trust Him.
    Using that as a foundation , the answer would be to trust God to help you overcome any fear you encounter.
    According to 2 Timothy 1:7 "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."
    When confronted by fear that lurks as an unknown enemy behind the door you are facing, the only option is to take a deep breath, brace yourself , grab God's hand and kick the door in with all your might!

working