jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Do birds sing because they are happy?

1. pmorries profile image79
    pmorriesposted 5 years ago

Do birds sing because they are happy?

Or do birds sing only to protect their territory and attract mates? Does your answer to this question reflect your attitude towards life?

2. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

It is my understanding that birds sing early in the mornings to generate their body temperatures up, especially in the colder months, as well as communication and just because they are one of God's most beautiful marvels that sing for our enjoyment , as well. You be the judge of whether this attitude or concept that I have, is a reflection of my own life's concept.

pmorriesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Your answer is a  sound, and I hope you are right.

3. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

I believe their song is a huge part of their life. Its not just about happiness. I think God created them to bring peaceful songs to the world and stabilize the energy. The sounds they make alone have a natural calming effect to humans as well as all other living creatures of the world. Even cats love the sound!

True, but do cats hear birds singing as a dinner bell?

2. ii3rittles profile image82
      ii3rittlesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My one cat PC will lay in the window for hours listening to birds. I also have a Quaker parrot and his cage is next to where PC sits in the window. They actually get along! Its too funny.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

I do believe that birds and humans are pretty much the same. Birds sing can be it is attracting the other party to mate or simply happy.

5. yoginijoy profile image74
    yoginijoyposted 5 years ago

I don't know for sure, but I like to think that they sing because they are joyful. And in singing, they spread that joy around to everyone (humans and animals and probably plants too). 

When I am sad, I listen to Nature to cheer me up. It works every time! Even the rain is a beautiful sound.

I did see on the NATURE show that sometimes the males sing and/or dance to attract a female. Depending on the species, the length, the pitch or creativity of the notes determines the bird's strength. The female will always the choose the strongest male she can for her offspring. 

I wonder if men strut their stuff the same way? What do you think?

I am pretty sure that is what men do.

6. lorddraven2000 profile image89
    lorddraven2000posted 5 years ago

I think that may be the case sometimes, that they are happy. I think birds sing to communicate.

7. alvairs profile image62
    alvairsposted 5 years ago

I hope from such beautiful sounds, reflects happiness. Some i suppose are mating calls as well as territorial.  But they make me feel great when i hear such beauty.
    It also make me realize and appreciate the things in life that most of us take for granted.

Listening to birds is one of the great things in life that is free.

8. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

They sing to get the attention of members of the opposite sex, and to warn away members of their own. Well, that's what I once was told by an ornithologist, anyway. I accused him of having no soul. He seemed offended at the time.

I would hate to offend anyone, but your accusation seems kind of accurate to me.

working