jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How can people have free will if God knows everything?

1. profile image73
    Education Answerposted 5 years ago

How can people have free will if God knows everything?

2. DreamerMeg profile image90
    DreamerMegposted 5 years ago

There is a difference between KNOWING everything and FORCING people to do something. However, you have asked a very big question that many people with a passionate interest in the subject have debated for many years without coming to any agreed conclusion. It's a matter of opinion, not fact, so no one is ever going to be able to provide a definitive answer on this.

3. Heather63 profile image85
    Heather63posted 5 years ago

According to scripture God does know everything, but He is looking for people to follow Him willingly. He wants a relationship with each of us, but He invites us, not forces us. As my pastor says, "He doesn't want robots"!

4. daleamy profile image75
    daleamyposted 5 years ago

I know what my kids do, but they still make the choice to do those things. My knowledge of their actions doesn't control their actions.

5. lburmaster profile image81
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

He knows what will happen if you choose a certain path, but you choose the path you take and the future. He only knows the outcome.

6. liftandsoar profile image81
    liftandsoarposted 5 years ago

If you accept Scripture there are three certainties related to your question.
    1. Yes, God knows all things.  He is omniscient.
    2. And, yes, we are responsible for our actions. Free will is very much misunderstood. None of us is free to do what is inconsistent with our nature. We can't flap our arms and fly.  However we have a significant choice before God. We are not robots. We are responsible for our actions and their consequences.
    3. Third certainty - It's a mystery. That's not a copout.  It's only reasonable that if God is infinite we finite creatures would be unable to comprehend Him fully. Humbly walking with God calls us to accept the mystery and not use it as an excuse for ignoring what is clear and right before our faces.

7. lone77star profile image82
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

Yes, God knows everything, but...

Why the "but?" Because God knows the future if we don't change our minds. He sees the inertia of our actions and intentions. If we change our minds, then the future changes and God now knows the new future.

Simple.

Free will and God's omniscience are not incompatible, just as perfect confidence and utter humility are not incompatible.

working