If God knows everything

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (57 posts)
  1. profile image53
    Rabgixposted 12 years ago

He knew EXACTLY what would come to pass even before he created the Universe or humanity.

So why do it?

boredom?

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, this is one question to which I could never come up with an answer.  I consider myself to be almost very objective with regard to what different people believe, what is truth for them.  But this one is a baffler. 

One explanation I heard years ago had to do with several bored gods, like the myth gods and their board/bored games.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
      Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ever watch a movie more than once?

How about a movie you have seen soo many times you even know all the lines?

Ever listen to a song you know every word to?

hmm

How about a recording of your children say on thier birthday or your wedding, ever want to watch that even when you know EXACTLY what is going to happen?

Maybe it is something like that.

So that puts us in a time warp.  Possibly closer to the truth than anyone might suspect except we can now change the ending just like in the most advanced video games.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

I guess (since we don't have any proof to the contrary) it is possible, like you're saying, that we are like a video game to God... hmm

But I don't believe that is the way God sees us, or the way God looks at us. I believe we are cherished by God the same way a good parent cherishes thier children. Movies of when they were little, watching them enjoy life, watching them explore life and the loving emotions those videos bring back to life for us.... I think life does that for God.

But who knows.

1. jloeding profile image60
            jloedingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can believe this.  We are God's children, and very important to Him.  He even has our names engraved in the palm of His hand.    Just as we carry pictures of our children and grandchildren, they are important to us and we enjoy showing them off.  Someone said that if God had a refrigerator, our pictures would be on it.  I like that idea.

Nice.  smile

(but for the record I don't believe God is a he.) big_smile wink

2. Disappearinghead profile image61
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like a very insightful answer Mikel. I've never thought of it like that. Thanks. smile

smile

3. Taleb80 profile image78
      Taleb80posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If God knows, why do you feel bored?
      For you everything is new & not known.

4. emrldphx profile image60
      emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He did it for us.

It's true, God knows which of us will end up in 'heaven' or 'hell'(I believe they are all just varying degrees of 'heaven'). But if that's the case, why not just put us in heaven?

I think the reason is because our experiences on earth are required for our own growth... he does it for us, not for him.

It's like a cousin of mine... unbelievably intelligent, he has broken the scoring systems for certain tests. When he was in high school(unfortunately, he lived in an area where there was no opportunity for tutoring, skipping grades, or private school), everyone knew that every test he took and every assignment he did, he would get a perfect score. He graduated high school with 100% or more in every class.

But even though people knew he would grasp any new concept and ace any of those tests didn't mean he could skip them. It was still important for him to learn the concepts for himself.

5. LewSethics profile image61
      LewSethicsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe god eats our experiences, then lets the shell that contained them wallow in an infinite Handel's Messiah till the end of time.

6. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Humor. lol

7. kess profile image59
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well you would not know unless you develop the eyes to see it...

And when you do see it you too would say as He and other he attain the same knowledge of Him and as Him..

It is Good.

8. pearpandas profile image61
      pearpandasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are thinking in very abstract terms.  Why should he/she/it have motivation? Or be nothing but a random series of things themselves.  It also begs the question of whether or not we have free will.  How can we go to heaven or hell if we dont?

2. Pacific Transfer profile image60
    Pacific Transferposted 12 years ago

If you like at it a bit more optimistically all of a sudden you realize that it must of been the right thing to do. smile

I love my life!

3. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

But so far, no one has actually answered the question.  I know it's because it's unanswerable so don't really expect an answer.  My best insight has more to do with we - as spirit (and Christianity having laid claim to us being in the image and likeness of god, this meaning we not only look like him but have his inner essence) being more fragmented than we once were.  When we can all come together once again as pure spirit, we will rediscover the heart and mind of what we call god.

There are many good and helpful instructions to getting there in the Bible.  They should be taken literally.  Considering the Old Testament, we must also consider the fact that change in theology and perspective took place over time and can take place again.

roll  Good luck with that Intellectual Dishonesty.

What do you mean 'Dishonesty'?

The definition of Intellectual Dishonesty:

Intellectual dishonesty is the advocacy of a position known to be false. An argument which is misused to advance an agenda or to reinforce one's deeply held beliefs in the face of overwhelming evidence contrary.

Hmm.  Excellent definition and somewhat a contradiction unto itself.  However, I'm not seeing your reasoning behind your belief that my statement is such.  Would you mind pointing out which part you believe to be false?

That any of the various, diverse, translations and often edited versions of the 'Bibles' can be taken as literal.

They are, at very best, a mix of fables, metaphorical teachings and analogies designed to promote an agenda. They contain vast examples of situations that if taken literally lead to the conclusion that God must be evil, arrogant, petty, hateful, vengeful, needful, lacking, uncompromising, unforgiving, psychotic and generally not a nice entity. A creature that requires the murder of ones children, ones enemies, ones thoughts, ones freedom, ones individuality and ones independence. Unforgivable things include: Doubt, disobedience, falling out of love, sex, laziness, education/learning (tree of knowledge), any number of ways of dressing and social interactions.

In my experience of God, God is a loving, caring, openminded, accepting being that loves all the various diversities of creation.

...All things Big and Small... There is no 'wrong' way to pray, and there is no 'wrong' way to believe or not believe in God. God is and will remain God no matter what people believe, disbelieve or do. God does not need us, we need God.

The Bibles were originally written by people that are too us ancient/primitive people. To believe they achieved all that can ever be achieved, learned all that can ever be learned about nature, existence and the nature of God is Intellectual Dishonesty.

Trying to treat each of the various diverse versions of the 'Bibles' as absolute literal truth, that can not ever be improved upon. Treating each of the various diverse versions of the 'Bibles' as the 'one and only truth is Intellectual Dishonesty.

Where would we be if we treated Math books the way 'Literal' belief systems are saying we 'must' treat each of the various diverse versions of the 'Bibles'?

smile

Thank you for your response.  I'll need to respond in stages.

Many Christians believe the NT is to be taken literally and many believe it is strictly metaphorical.  I believe it to be a guidebook of how to live.  In this sense, I meant it should be taken literally.  Perhaps there are too many lessons for many to absorb all at once but there is much good to be learned from the NT.  But you are right in your elaboration of the 'bad' contained therein.

I did state that theology and perspective take place over time and can take place again which means they can change over time - just as what you're saying about ancient peoples achievements, so we agree there, just in different words.

I always believe anything can be improved upon.  I suppose I used the word literal too liberally.  I meant it with regard to the good way we should live.  This is a topic for another forum because I could go on at length with regard to the many lessons, both obvious and obscured, in the NT. 

There is no overwhelming evidence to the contrary regarding spirit.  Therefore, I counter that I am not being intellectually dishonest.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So, you are calling him a liar? Because many people do believe in Biblical literalism; I would not assume they are just pretending that is possible. They seem to really believe it.

No. I said the belief that the bibles can be taken literally is intellectually dishonest.

Intellectual dishonesty is the advocacy of a position known to be false. An argument which is misused to advance an agenda or to reinforce one's deeply held beliefs in the face of overwhelming evidence contrary.

I agree lots and lots of people really really believe it. To the point that they justify terrorism and 2000 years of religious warfare. To the point of attempted genocide of an entire race of people. To the point that they cannot see they have become the tool of that which they hate most.

That is Intellectual Dishonesty.

1. emrldphx profile image60

You can only argue that taking the Bible literally is intellectually dishonest if you can prove the Bible to be false. Otherwise, it isn't a position known to be false.

1. profile image53
              Rabgixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The bible is obviously false. Otherwise you wouldn't need faith.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

Faith is not defined as the belief in things that are false. So that doesn't really follow.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

"The Bibles can't be taken literally." That doesn't make them false. It just means you still have to use your brain and think about the concepts they discuss.
                In my opinion there is a vast amount of truth there, you just have to eliminate the human agendas that are also there.

3. emrldphx profile image60

You don't believe it is possible to have faith in something that is true?

What about faith makes it impossible to believe in something that is true?

1. autumn18 profile image58
                  autumn18posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good questions. I know they weren't directed towards me but I wonder about the same kind of stuff. For me it's pointless to profess a faith in something that is clearly true. I don't have faith or believe that I need food to survive or that the sun will set tonight. I know these things to be true. I "believe" and "have faith" in things I hope to be true.

"I have faith that so and so is a trustworthy person and wont screw me over"
                  "I believe one day I will be able to have a child with my husband after trying for so long."

I know someone who looks at their belief in God as a "known". That works for them but not for me. I can't claim that I "know" something that I don't "know".

2. psycheskinner profile image83

Clearly anything he doesn't agree with is false, therefore everyone who disagrees with him is "intellectually dishonest". There is a saying about a log and a mote that comes to mind.

Prove me wrong.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

About what? If you don't think people are sincerely leading lives of Biblical literalism there are plenty of fundamentalist communities out there, easy to find.

You said, "...anything he doesn't agree with is false, therefore everyone who disagrees with him is "intellectually dishonest..."

Got Proof? Prove that what I believe is false. I am constantly listing the reasons why what I believe is true. Do the same. Prove your stance.

'Clearly' isn't proof, it's opinion, your opinion.

4. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

gods a he ?    god  knows this?

5. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

loves lews answer.

6. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

Logic is a science, logical reason is data. Data that can be proven correct or incorrect. Disbelieving that the accepted definition of the term is false simply because you disagree with it..is..wait for it....

Intellectual Dishonesty.

Even if you consider logic a science, you fail to provide any logical, concrete proof. Proof is evidence that is sufficient as to not be doubted.

Furthermore, you induce logical fallacies in your arguments, which nullify your entire argument.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Science may be based on logical deduction, but to say logic is science is not really accurate.  Logical reasoning is only reasonable based on earlier statements or experiences.  If I burn my finger in the fire, it is logical for me to assume that my finger will burn if put in the fire again.  I think it's safe to say we all understand what logical deduction is.

But intellectual dishonesty, IMO, has more to do with hypocrisy - either you profess a belief and do not live by it or you profess to believe something which you know to be untrue.

Intellectual dishonesty cannot be committed if one holds true to their beliefs.

"to say logic is science is not really accurate"

Intellectual Dishonesty:

The formal definition of logic:
        1.the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.
        2.a particular method of reasoning or argumentation: We were unable to follow his logic.
        3.the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study.
        4.reason or sound judgment, as in utterances or actions: There wasn't much logic in her move.
        5.convincing forcefulness; inexorable truth or persuasiveness: the irresistible logic of the facts.

another:
        Definition of LOGIC:
        1 a (1): a science that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration : the science of the formal principles of reasoning (2): a branch or variety of logic <modal logic> <Boolean logic> (3): a branch of semiotics; especially: syntactics (4): the formal principles of a branch of knowledge b (1): a particular mode of reasoning viewed as valid or faulty (2): relevance, propriety c: interrelation or sequence of facts or events when seen as inevitable or predictable d: the arrangement of circuit elements (as in a computer) needed for computation; also: the circuits themselves .
        2: something that forces a decision apart from or in opposition to reason <the logic of war>

Logical evidence provided based upon logical fallacies isn't evidence. Arguments provided without supporting reference aren't evidence.

If you want to use logic as a science, you have to follow its rules.

2. emrldphx profile image60

When are we allowed to use Urban Dictionary to provide definitions for terms we use in an argument?

3. couturepopcafe profile image60

Mikel - thanks for spouting the dictionary.  Here's another definition of logic:  a) the study of the principles of reasoning b) valid reasoning esp. as distinguished from invalid or irrational argumentation c) the formal guiding principles of a discipline

So what.  None of this makes your argument for intellectual dishonesty.  Part of intellectualism is the ability to think abstracly or profoundly.  Another part is being able to furnish a rational structure or meaning for some POV.  I have done both.  You have proven you can read the dictionary.  Namaste

Buddah would be proud... lol

Namaste

cool

7. Paradise7 profile image68
    Paradise7posted 12 years ago

Maybe we were a social experiment gone a little bit wrong.  The ants were a more succesful social experiment.  Anything is possible; it's always fun to speculate.

8. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Works for me.

9. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

Perhaps after God grew into adulthood, his dad told him he had to do something with His life, because he couldn't support Him any longer.  God, then applied for a job as a universe builder, and the rest is history.

Perhaps smile

10. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

From my view God created that which had never been done before but not only that he created love which existed with Adam and Eve I presume the animals understand the concept of love.  It was a dream of beauty because mankind hadn't sin so they could walk just like a child completely naked unashamed for love was in their hearts.

I further believe that God perhaps knew that it wouldn't last but because he gave us free will that he hoped that we might prove him wrong and do the right thing which would be to listen and obey God.  Unfortnately we rarely do the right thing.

God has down through the ages looked upon us with love but after giving us free will he can't very well say you have free will but this is what you Will have to do.  Often in the bible when God hasn't gotten involved it's usually from mankind calling on God to help us out of the mess we've created.

Let apply that question to ourselves.  If we knew our unborn child would come into this world and getting into trouble with the law, talk back to us would we still have him/them?

11. profile image49
    terrywnposted 12 years ago

Never think about something like that. God can do nothing to you.

1. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Terrywn...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)