Is it o.k. 2 judge, long as you judge righteously? IJN, Jas

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Janice Daniel profile image60
    Janice Danielposted 11 years ago

Is it o.k. 2 judge, long as you judge righteously? IJN, Jas

2. nancynurse profile image70
    nancynurseposted 11 years ago

I know we all do judge. I believe it is part of human nature. In my beliefs I think of God as the ultimate Judge but sometimes we have to make a judgement call on things especially if it does not harm anyone. In the court system judgements are made to help keep us from living in chaos.

3. watergeek profile image93
    watergeekposted 11 years ago

There's no such thing as judging "righteously." Judging is a way of condemning somebody else, and it always backfires on the judge. How? Because whatever you judge of another means that you can't do it yourself, even in situations where it might be appropriate. So you put yourself in a sort of prison the more you judge.

Judging can become a vicious circle. Others start thinking, "Who are you to judge?" And they'd be right. Why should you be the judge anymore than someone else? So you'd get negative feedback, in addition to what you're doing to yourself. If you want to get religious, that's why Jesus and others caution us not to judge. Remember, "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

4. somethgblue profile image72
    somethgblueposted 11 years ago

Negative, unless it is your job and then it is imperative, however since we are all flawed the we can shoot for perfection and settle for progress.

5. tussin profile image58
    tussinposted 11 years ago

Making judgments is what your brain is for. If you never made judgments about people, you would end up in bad situations all the time.

Pretend you are a married woman interviewing candidates for a nanny position.  One of the applicants is known to have dated married men in the past.  You judge that she is an untrustworthy slut that you don't want around your husband so you decide not to hire her.  Whether that judgment is "fair" or not, it is a sound judgment to make because you have bigger priorities than being "nonjudgmental."

1. watergeek profile image93
      watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. I would never call someone an "untrustworthy slut" because she deals with men differently than I do.  You can notice someone's traits and choose to not associate with them, w/o saying they're wrong for who they are.

6. Doc Snow profile image88
    Doc Snowposted 11 years ago

Not only must you judge righteously, it must be necessary for you to do so in order that it be truly righteous.

7. tsadjatko profile image64
    tsadjatkoposted 11 years ago

Well if you mean judge according to it's dictionary meaning:
    To form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration,
    I'd say of course it's OK, judging is something we are required to do to succeed, to be safe and secure, to live and let live, actually just to survive.

But if you mean to pass judgement on others, that is to say to determine their worthiness of praise or punishment, that is another subject altogether and subject to interpretation, for example what is meant by righteously? Righteously to a Muslim has different connotations than righteously by Christian principles and other religions or philosophies have different standards of "righteousness" let alone an individual's concept of it. This question is too vague to give a blanket answer and to broad in its scope to completely answer in this format. I think the topic would make a better hub page.

1. watergeek profile image93
      watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which may be why she asked it. There's certainly some good food for thought here.

8. profile image49
    druhepkinsposted 11 years ago

I don't think it's ever a good thing to judge, nor do I believe there is such a thing as judging "righteously". And in order to judge, it would have to be from your own individual perspective which makes you automatically unqualified to be judging anyone else. We've all done wrong and shouldn't place ourselves in a seat of authority and condescension over others---like the Pharisees.

Judging is almost involuntary, it's what many of us as human beings do automatically when we form opinions in our minds. Of course, the reality of the situation is that there are some people caught up in negative things or lifestyles, but we just need to do what we need to do to keep ourselves safe and uninfluenced by their practices. But we don't know the heart or story of others and we should never judge.  We have to condition ourselves to have self restraint in certain areas so instead of judging others, we are working on being the best person we could be.

9. Bretsuki profile image66
    Bretsukiposted 11 years ago

If you mean to judge anothers actions, outside the realms of a jury where you are required to come to a considered judgement, then no.

The only righteous judge is God in the person of Jesus Christ.

There are several passages in the Bible which warn against making judgements on anyone. The Lord's Prayer also asks God to judge Us as we judge others, so if one is a harsh judge one is asking God to judge us as harshly.

Judging is also bad for the health. Often leading to smouldering resentment and anger. So for the benefit of our health we should set aside judging to God or Juries.

10. sholland10 profile image83
    sholland10posted 11 years ago

Christ says, "Judge not lest ye be judged."  I am not righteous enough to judge anyone.  Only God can judge.  I believe we can tell people they are doing something wrong, and we can even tell them they need to change.  But we should not judge them.  We should love one another.  If we try to help them and they reject us, there is nothing more we can do except pray and hope they come back to us.  Judging is a good way to get others to rebel and feel resentful. It also causes so much hurt and pain for both parties.

11. d d gargi profile image61
    d d gargiposted 11 years ago

I don't think it is ok to judge anyone, but I think we judge all the time, whether we want to or not, at least to a degree. There can be no such thing as judging righteously for a human being. Our judgement is always bound to be subjective to our life experiences. Most often we judge a person instead of being judgmental about the situation. We judge, even before we have had a chance of evaluating  a person.

12. cam8510 profile image92
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

Here are some synonyms for the verb to judge:  consider, evaluate, figure out, inspect, interpret, scrutinize, sort out, study, think through.  We evaluate circumstances, outcomes and ourselves.  But, should we judge other people? There are acceptable and unacceptable ways of doing this.  We Don't date just any person that comes along  This requires assessing the person.  So, what constitutes acceptable judgement of others?  This question may help.  "Does this person's past, present or future actions or decisions affect me in any important way?"  If so, then I should assess the situation and that person's place in my life and decide how to act. If that person's actions or decisions do not affect me, then their business is not mine.

13. tlmcgaa70 profile image59
    tlmcgaa70posted 11 years ago

there is a difference between judging and discernment. we can discern when someone is lying, and know them to be liars, or see someone steal and understand they are a thief. calling them a liar or a thief is a fact not judging. but when you see a fat person and condemn them for being pigs, that is judging...you can not know unless you know that person personally, that they eat like pigs. fact is a great many fat people barely eat at all. if you see someone using an EBT card and assume they are lazy...that is judging. you cannot know why they are on food stamps. you can see someone sleeping on a sidewalk and judge them to be drunks...how do you know they arent narcoleptic? or perhaps they fainted from weakness or something. things are rarely what they appear to be, so it is better not to assume anything. we are told to "judge not, lest we be judged in the same measure we judge others"...that doesnt mean judge someone because you feel more righteous than others...it means what it says...judge not...never judge another.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you want to judge anyone in regards to obesity, maybe you should start with the people peddling junk food at us and lying on the packaging labels, advertising and in the mass media.

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image59
      tlmcgaa70posted 11 years agoin reply to this

everyone is responsible for their own actions. no one is forcing anyone to eat junk food, we choose to. but obesity isnt always a case of eating bad food. there are some health issues like underactive thyroid for example.

14. profile image0
    starsofeightposted 11 years ago

Judging is simply making a choice. We do it a hundred times each day. It is how we navigate through life. It is obvious that some people are better suited to make good judgments than others. If you needed brain surgery, you would naturally judge a surgeon's judgment more appropriate than mine. Good judgment can be a matter as simple as education and experience.

Since judgment is a matter of choice, many people, for many reasons, fall short in that arena. Prejudice, personal bias, poor upbringing, pugnacious pride. Any of these, and quite a few more, can lead an individual away from good judgment. Wisdom is called for -- for righteous judgment is nothing more than judging what is right. Some people scrape by with just understanding, but where the world has gone astray is that people with nothing other than knowledge think they are equipped to be the equals of those who surpass them in wisdom.

If a person has not made it his business to seek out what is right, beyond the mere rudiments of education in facts and figures and measurements, that person may not be counted on for righteous judgment, no matter whose name he calls forth.

15. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

You're free to think whatever you want when it comes to your thoughts and beliefs. As long as you don't discriminate it's no one's business what you may think. If you keep your thoughts to yourself and as they say; "Love thy neighbor as thy self" then there are usually no issues. Problems arise when people try to get others to (change) to their way of thinking and behaving. Life is a personal journey. We don't get to tell others how to live their lives!

16. Deborah-Diane profile image84
    Deborah-Dianeposted 11 years ago

Let's be honest ... we all judge other people all the time.  We begin judging them the second we see them, or communicate with them in any way.

However, we should try to give people the benefit of the doubt and not judge people harshly.  That's about the best we can expect of ourselves.

17. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years ago

Surely to "judge" is to arrive at the truth of a matter.   Simple in some respects, but complicated in others. 
    Unless you know and can prove all of the facts, then your judgment will be unsound.  The effect of that unsound judgment ("injustice") will be that you hurt someone.  You become the guilty party, not the one whom you are trying to judge.
    Much of the judgment we see and hear today comes from individuals who are starting from a strong personal bias.  He/she then cannot come to a sound judgment because the bias gets in the way of seeing ALL of the facts, ALL of the truth.
    It is much more important to sort out our own life fully.  Arrive honestly at full self appraisal.  Out of that will come the realization that "I" am not worthy to judge "you."
    Of course, each day you and I make choices regarding what we want and accept.  We will not "like" every person we meet, that would be super-human.  Yet even in this it is well to allow the possibility that I don't right now know all the facts.

18. Junaid Ghani profile image71
    Junaid Ghaniposted 11 years ago

I Judge people by one eye blind because if I judge people with both eyes, I may get biased. Human nature is not perfect for judging others. Righteous judging is an experienced character found in very few people and I don't think that its present in me. So, I make 50% personal decision about the person and 50% I left for my error.

19. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

There's a difference between judging and assessing something. Judging means that you have meted out the punishment.

The jury doesn't judge. It evalutes the facts. The judge listens to the jury and then passes out the punishment.

Assessing as situation or a person is a necessary part of our evolution. If we can't assess whether a situation is friend or enemy, we will get eaten.

20. Chuck Bluestein profile image61
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 11 years ago

It is not against the law but it is not good for you. You are here to improve yourself so you should only be judging yourself. Consider this. George Washington was so well loved, they wanted to make him king. Thomas Jefferson wrote the best document ever-- Declaration of Independence. So how do you judge them?

If you judge them postively then do you believe that black people should be slaves. Both of the above had black slaves that they owned. Jesus says that you look for slivers in other's eyes while you have logs in your own eyes.

21. profile image0
    LIL-ANGEL-WINGSposted 11 years ago

We as individuals are not to judge. Not even ourselves. God is the jugde of all. He did however put into place a judicial judging system and those who are to be in that autority. But we are to resolve issues with our brother first before we even think about getting to the point of needing to go before a judicial system.

1. profile image0
      starsofeightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Resolving issues must necessarily rely upon judgment.

22. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Who determines what is righteous.  'Judge ye not, lest you yourself be judged and found wanting.'

23. Marcus D Mays profile image61
    Marcus D Maysposted 11 years ago

There is one kind of judgement that GOD said for us not to do, HE said judge not according to the physical appearance! Because if you judge the physical you are talking about HIS handy work!
    Now if you are judging another action, of course go right ahead!

24. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 11 years ago

I don't think any of us are in a position to judge, not even righteously. "Righteous" means good, blameless, and in right standing before God.

So, within the context of that definition, and because we are inherently sinful, how can we TRULY judge someone else to be right?

The only one, I feel, who can judge righteously, is God. God's judgment about people, their motives, their behavior, their character and heart is perfect; ours is not.

1. profile image0
      LIL-ANGEL-WINGSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

you hit the nail on the head!

2. profile image0
      VeronicaInspiresposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Angel Wings!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)