What is the difference between spirituality and religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Darrell Roberts profile image70
    Darrell Robertsposted 10 years ago

What is the difference between spirituality and religion?

2. bethperry profile image84
    bethperryposted 10 years ago

I believe religion is the formalized practice(s) of a shared spiritual belief.

3. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 10 years ago

Religion is a business that  has little to do with spirituality these days.  They are in the business of control over people.  Most people who belong to an organized religion would like to think they have more of a connection to God than those who do not, but that can not be further from the truth.
      Spirituality is the concern for the spirit of individuals in reference to having a "soul" that is a connected part of what we consider the Oneness of the Universe. 
    You can be spiritual without belonging to any kind of religious sect.  It is that connection we have with the spirit of the Creator and has nothing to do with religion at all.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Down to earth as usual....

2. Darrell Roberts profile image70
      Darrell Robertsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with most of your statement.  I just think that religion should teach us that we are individual as well as part of a whole.  We should love all in all.

4. mintinfo profile image62
    mintinfoposted 10 years ago

Spirit is the heightened condition of a living Soul that is functioning with fairness, equity, and accountability. Religion is an attempt to mimic the Spirit.

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Love this answer I totally agree.

5. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 10 years ago

I believe that religion is more formal and structured for its followers whereas spirituality is more about embracing the freedom of finding what practice works for you and applying it on a personal level.
    Great question smile

Hi MysticMoonlight, I love your screen name as well as your answer. smile

2. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much on both accounts, Darrell smile

6. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 10 years ago

I have been apart of a few religions over my lifetime. When I became aware that the spirit needs to be nurtured and cared for and not the practice of going in different directions which all seem to lead to the same place. Emptiness, judgement, anger and sometimes one can feel overwhelmed by the choices of others in the name sake of that type of "religious practices".  The label of religion is not something I see as a means to be enlightened or the ability to grow in walking with the one who wished for all to know his truth, feel his love and mercy each and every day of their lives. smile

7. Dan Barfield profile image72
    Dan Barfieldposted 10 years ago

Spiritual practice is individual, religious practice is institutional.

8. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

Religion is the sacred cup. Spirituality is the sacred water or fire that fills the cup, and also overflows and pours in from other sources and fills the entire universe.

9. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Religion is a way that man gets you to follow a set of rules. Religion is not for me. I consider myself spiritual saved by God's grace through his son Jesus Christ dying on the cross to save all. Jesus is my savior, God is the Father.

10. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years ago

Spirituality is your relationship with God.  Religion is the vehicle through which you practice it.

I like this answer, I think along those same lines.  Good luck in life.

11. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

spirituality is the individuals search for divine power.
    religion is an avenue to support that search.

12. WalterPoon profile image69
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

Spirituality is a goal, while religion is a vehicle. When I see two persons arguing over whose religion is the true religion, it sounds to me as if they are arguing over whose car is better. When it comes to attaining health, it is like arguing over whose doctor is cleverer.
    All of us are at different stages in our spiritual development, and different religions suits different people better. We know that Lamborghini is a good car but can everyone afford that?

This is a great answer.  I would love a Lamborghini, but I have to settle for a Toyota instead, regardless it is what is on the inside that counts, and that should be a living spirit seeking happiness.  Best wishes

13. profile image0
    Dawn Aliceposted 10 years ago

Religion is a structured institution with hierarchy and a set of guide-lines in the form of dogma. Most religions believe in a god or gods which they worship through various rituals.  When one is a member of a particular religion then they would have obligations to fulfil as part of that community.
    Spirituality is available to all humans’ regards of religion. Religious people can be both spiritual and religious. Spiritual people need not be religious, but follow their heart from a soul level. 
    Some of us might need the discipline and commitment of a supporting community through a religion. The rest of us though find inner peace through our unique connection to the universal freedom of spirituality.

14. ParadigmEnacted profile image75
    ParadigmEnactedposted 10 years ago

Religion is a set of rituals that everybody has to follow. Spirituality is simply the recognition that their is a higher order and the lifelong attempt to gain understanding and decipher meaning.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)