jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

What is the difference between the spirit and the soul?

1. Vellur profile image91
    Vellurposted 3 years ago

What is the difference between the spirit and the soul?

2. Levertis Steele profile image84
    Levertis Steeleposted 3 years ago

What an interesting question!

The spirit is the character or the sum of who a person is aside from the body. The soul is the physical or carnal being. They both work together to make the person.

Vellurposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for answering.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
    Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years ago

I love this question, Vellur.  I wrote a hub 'Is My Soul and Spirit the Same?' where my analogy was to compare the body, soul and spirit to a grape and new wine -- new wine as being the spirit that ages to perfection. Remove the skin (body) of the grape to see the soul (pulp), then aged to wine (spirit).

1. Alastar Packer profile image85
      Alastar Packerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Love your analogy, Phyllis. The sprit-form is eternal and is constantly in further evolutionary mode to the Creation. These  things we call bodies are only temporary spacesuits we don to  help us up the spiritual latter so to speak.

2. Vellur profile image91

Great interpretation!

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
      Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Alastar. I agree with you about the spiritual progression, and it is eternal, yes.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

In words: The spirit is in the center. It contains the heart and love of life. The soul surrounds that and contains the mind (conscious/subconscious), emotions, feelings, will...our personality.

The body contains the brain.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image74
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome, I hope that it helps. Have a nice day. :-)

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I've heard the terms used interchangeably and I've heard different people describe them in different ways. To me, the spirit is the mental part of a person. It's our emotions, our thoughts, our beliefs, etc. The soul is the physical part of the body - the flesh, blood, nerves, etc.

Yes they have been described in different ways, thank you for answering.

6. deecoleworld profile image83
    deecoleworldposted 3 years ago

Spirit is our life force
    Soul is the life within us
    Spirit gives life to our soul
    ......... Great question <3

deecoleworld thank you, well explained.

2. deecoleworld profile image83
      deecoleworldposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Your question has inspired me to make a hub about. To check it out, click on the link: http://hub.me/agocd

7. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

Every use in the Bible that I can find has "soul" referring to desires, ambitions and vulnerabilities. Spirit, however, is invulnerable and craves not the things of this world.

I suspect that "soul" refers to Ego -- that which hungers to be "first," but which will end up being last.

I had this all wrong for most of my life. Perhaps I still have more to learn, but this is my current view on the topic.

Spirit is the true self. When the Bible says that the only unforgivable sin is that of denying the Holy Spirit, the reason becomes obvious when you see that this spirit is the one (true self) which needs rescue. If you deny the object of rescue, then rescue (forgiveness) can never happen.

This is why atheists are condemned. They condemn themselves. It is not for us to judge them, but to lament for them and pray for them. In their madness, they are spitting in the face of the rescuer. They are cutting the rope which is meant to lift them up.

lone77star thank you for explaining in detail.

working