jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Do you believe your religion could be viewed as violent?

1. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

Do you believe your religion could be viewed as violent?

Several religions are accused of being violent, yet followers feel that they aren't. So my question is - do you believe your religion, whatever religion that is, could be viewed as violent? If yes, why? And if no, why not? PLEASE be civil, and do not answer for any religion that is not yr own nor bad mouth another - religion or person. Thank you.

2. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 3 years ago

I don't believe the Christian religion is violent.  I believe people have made erroneous choices and used the religion as an excuse, but that is not God's plan.  If you study the teachings of Jesus, he encourages peace.   Note that he does say people will be divided against each other over Christianity (opinions), but that is the work of Satan.

jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Interesting thoughts. Do you believe this, even when applied to historical things happening in the name of God? I ask with respect.

2. lone77star profile image83
      lone77starposted 3 years agoin reply to this

jlpark, if I do horrendous crimes in your name, does that reflect badly on you? It shouldn't. Why? Because I didn't deserve to use your name. Every egoistic crime by so-called "Christians" was never done as a true Christian

3. Robert the Bruce profile image60
      Robert the Bruceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting that the same God of the Old Testament, who ordered the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of people (including babies) is Christianity's God. Christianity's God is violent. This is one of the moral problems of your faith.

4. jlpark profile image85

Lone - many of these horrors had biblical backing, just as many of the Islamic horrors have Koran backing - yet many r happy to condemn the other as long as it's not their own religion. Thanks for yr input - I'm curious to see how people think.

3. cathylynn99 profile image74
    cathylynn99posted 3 years ago

the last straw of my christian faith left me when i attended a mainstream presbyterian singles group and most of the people in the discussion thought it was okay to bomb abortion clinics.

I can see why that would make you uncomfortable, particularly if you were already questioning. Thanks for your answer.

4. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

Anyone can claim to be an adherent of a religion and do criminal things.

A psychopath can join a police department and murder people for fun and profit. An American can pretend to protect the Constitution, but end up passing one law after another that shreds it and its Bill of Rights, wrecking violence on countless thousands around the world.

America sees itself as the land of the free and home of the brave, but I've come to see it as the land of the slave and home of the coward, because citizens have given up their liberty for the illusion of safety. America, which I had grown up believing was peace-loving has become more and more a bloodthirsty nation of war-mongering criminals.

What does this have to do with my religion? Everything. Because the same thing that corrupts governments, police departments, colleges, medical establishments and even families, also corrupts religions.

None of the mainstream religions are inherently violent. Only ego's corruption of a group (including religion) makes it evil.

Christianity seems stained with the blood of thousands of innocents. But was it true Christianity or egoistic corruption which perpetrated those crimes?

Christianity is all about loving others as if they were yourself and wishing for them everything that they desire. Christianity is all about losing your own self-concern (selfishness). How many "popes" lived up to this? How many "popes" ever walked on water?

Christ was violent against the evil corruption of the sacred temple, but that was with the singular purpose of raising the ire of the evil, high priests. His violence was an act of love for the sacrifice he was about to make.

I have been a Southern Baptist, a Scientologist, a Buddhist, a Kabbalist and a non-denominational Christian. All of these can be viewed as violent by someone who has no understanding. Delusion is easy, especially where ego is involved.

The real culprit in all evil is the separation of ego self from others because of self-concern. True Love never keeps score and is never self-concerned.

Thanks for your answer

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

i am a catholic, whether it is christian or catholic, it is non violent, we don't force others to join our religion unless the psychos do. Maybe some people did that but I think it is unfair. Freedom to choose.

Do you believe that yr religion could be seen that way though, even if yr branch may not? Thanks for you answer.

6. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 3 years ago

Christianity rivals Islam as being the most violent religion on Earth.  Somebody here on HubPages - I can't remember who - said Islam is at the point today where Christianity was 100 years ago.
    I find it interesting that many Christians teach that when someone is physically attacked, the person is not to respond with violence.  This disarms the person, making them easier victims.  After the victimization, the person is told to "forgive and forget".  This is how the Native Americans lost their lands.
    Christianity has not had as much success taking over countries that practice Hinduism and Buddhism, because they believe in using violence to protect themselves.
    Christianity teaches a lot of good things, so it's worth listening to.  However, it is not a perfect religion, so it has no right to claim it is the Only Way.  All religions have something to offer, so it only makes sense to listen to all of them.  I think the reason Christianity and Islam are so violent, plus having the most cults, is because followers are taught their religion is the Only One.

Thanks for this SYTL - I understand you used to be Christian - I'm highlighting this in case someone feels you've answered for another religion. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image81
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, jlpark. Being in the cult made me realize Christianity uses the same tactics to hold followers as cults, and I suspect Islam does the same. I am now an Omnist. All religions are true, and all are cults; the difference is how they're practiced

3. jlpark profile image85

Interesting thought!

7. The0NatureBoy profile image44
    The0NatureBoyposted 3 years ago

My religion has no name, it is "the way of life which teaches one the MEANING OF EXISTENCE" which require one to objectively observe all things, participate as required to become acquainted with it, reasoning with the various outcomes and being able to explain one's findings.  Included in it sometimes require one to participate in some violence as well as peace, therefore I say my religion is all embracing.

working