jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

What is a 'false prophet'?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

What is a 'false prophet'?

How does one recognize a false prophet? What do you think is the objective of such a person?

2. Alastar Packer profile image85
    Alastar Packerposted 2 years ago

What does a real prophet instill? unselfishness, the willingness to suffer the full extent they can to impart what they've learned without profit, but with a higher order, which in this often stickin' world often means loneliness. But a true prophet, even one that doesn't consider themselves one, stays the course according to universal laws they know to be. In other words they endure, knowing that nothing stays the same for ever. Good to not so, and back again. A true prophet is imbued with innate powers and also learns over life; and the learning never ceases. Anything less than these things are false and can only lead to a dead end. The objective of a dead end is nothing and will vanish like ashes in the wind. Truth will build despite all adversity.

Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Alaster, that is a powerful message. True prophets do not promote or glorify themselves. They often walk a lonely road and do what they can to help enlighten others. They are unselfish and sincere. Thank you for such a great answer. Spot on!

2. profile image57
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"At my 1st defense, no man stood w/me, but all men forsook me; I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge,  "...but the Lord stood w/me & strengthened me, that by me the preaching might be fully known.." (II Tim 4:16-17)

Thank you JESUS!

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 2 years ago

A false profit tells falsehoods about biblical things that do not go along with the word of God and the bible or they sometimes do see true things and use them for evil purposes, such as lining their own pockets or gaining power for self satisfaction.
    We are warned to stay away from them (Leviticus 19:31) and that is why it is so wrong for Christians to dabble in future telling things. We have been told what we are to know and the Holy Spirit is the one to lead and teach us not a prophet that could cost us our life or soul.
    There will be and indeed are false prophets today and many will be deceived by them.

That is a very good and thoughtful answer, Jackie. Thank you.

2. Faith Reaper profile image89
      Faith Reaperposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Jackie has given an excellent answer. There are many false prophets who will lead many by deception to destruction.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image96

That is so true, Faith.

4. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12054002_f260.jpg

A person who promises positivity and progress but instead deliver negativity, havoc, and ultimate destruction.  In other words, a person who indicates that h/she will do good but his/her intentions & actions are diametrically the opposite! A wolf in sheep's clothing.

Very good answer, Grace. Thank you. You chose a picture of a man who fits your reply.

5. profile image57
    Norine Williamsposted 2 years ago

Read Galatians 1:6-9!  Jesus DIED for us and sent Holy Spirit to "lead and guide us" (John 14:26; 16:13), yet who cares?  Most say Paul was not Jesus, but did not Jesus say in Jeremiah 31:31-33; Hebrews 8:10 & 10:16 that  "After those days" (After the Cross or under New Covenant), He would "put His laws in our mind and write them in our hearts" {paraphrasing} via the Holy Spirit (John 14:26; 16:13)!  Well, He did exactly that on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:2) by using Paul as a vessel (Acts 9) who stood in His stead and told us what one MUST DO for salvation! 

Speaking through Paul, Jesus said in Galatians 1:6-9 (v6) "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel (false prophet), (v7) Which is not another (analogy twisted by "religion"); but there are some (false prophets) that trouble you, and would pervert "The Gospel of Christ." (v8) Heed the "warning:"  "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach ANY OTHER GOSPEL unto you that that which we have preached unto you, "LET HIM BE ACCURSED."  (v9) JESUS SAYS IT TWICE: "As we said before, so say I AGAIN, "IF ANY MAN preach ANY OTHER GOSPEL unto you than that ye have received, LET HIM BE ACCURSED!" 

There is the definition of a 'false prophet' according to Scripture! 

One "recognizes a false prophet" when he doesn't teach "The Gospel of Christ" and doesn't give (JESUS) credit where credit is due for DYING for US by "Studying His Word" (II Timothy 2:15) and living under the New Covenant or "After the Cross!"

I KNOW the "objective of such a person," is to "..kill, steal and destroy" (John 10:10) and "religion" and their "chruches" are doing a great job of it!

Norine, thank you for these quotes and thoughts. Very good.

2. profile image57
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Phyllis:  I ONLY "repeat" (remind) ALL of HIS WORD for HE is to be "GLORIFIED!"

Closed to reply

working