Atheism Rules !

Jump to Last Post 301-350 of 666 discussions (1781 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I think we need 6 more pages big_smile

Any one would think this thread was taking up too much time to maintain smile

We seem to have had a few solid attacks that then withered and died.

It's interesting - I think LOL

2. Thom Carnes profile image61
    Thom Carnesposted 16 years ago

I have just published a Hub on the Death of the Soul.

(I'm not going to give a direct link in case I'm accused of self-promotion and Mark has my testicles on a skewer!)

But how central do you think the concept of an immortal soul is to religious belief? Are there any religions that don't preach this idea? Could Christianity, say, survive without it?

I suppose we should exempt Buddhism as I'm not convinced it's really a religion at all - and is all the better for it, of course.

But the rest .....?

3. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Well, the Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians, but they don't believe in an immortal soul.

They solved the problem of the statement in Revelations that only 144,000 people were going to Heaven by proclaiming that everyone else would get a new body and live on Earth, come the revolution. I mean the Rapture. The un-saved will simply cease to exist (so, Mark, some Christians agree with your expectation for yourself after death).

They don't believe in "souls", yet they are definitely Christians and have their own translation of the Bible directly from the original source documents to English.

In fact, if you want to gather a whole heap of theological points with which to confound the common-or-garden Christians, invite the JWs in for a study session!

Jenny

Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I was actually hoping one of our resident JWs would join in the discussion big_smile

Although I am not sure there is any such thing as a common-or-garden variety christian. I myself am aware of dozens of different varieties. Ranging from the ones who think eating shrimp is a sin to the ones we have seen here. big_smile

4. Mark Knowles profile image58

LOL

Put a link if it's relevant. The only ones I have a go at are the new guys here to promote their hub in a non-relevant forum thread. Or they start one big_smile

5. WeddingConsultant profile image67
    WeddingConsultantposted 16 years ago

Looks like I missed a lot over the weekend!  Expecting a baby any day now tends to take away from my ability to sign on and participate on a regular basis.  Here are a couple of thoughts of mine:

Mark:
    I think there are several points at which we're miscommunicating, but I don't think it will be fruitful to flesh them out as we are almost out of flesh at this point!  I think we disagree on the main points, though, and I'm glad we can agree on that! smile

At several times in your one, long thread you posted to me on page 34, you said, "It doesn't make sense."  I don't think everything will ever make sense 100%.  And that's for all camps- Christian, atheist or otherwise.  I can't sit here and say everything makes sense just as atheists can't make sense of where the original "material" or "stuff" or "_____" came from with which the evolutionary process began.  I think, as a Christian, this is where faith comes to play.

Also at several times in that same post you said, “You scare me.”  I lost count of the times it was said, in bold print or otherwise!  Regardless, I don’t know what to say in regards to that.

Here are some of my final comments with regards to our evolution vs. creation conversation:

I think it’s important for me to reiterate my intentions- I have not desired to change anyone’s mind or “convert” anyone.  To attempt to do so would be foolishness and I’ll be honest, it’s not something I (or anyone else on here) can do!  It is beyond my ability to convert someone to belief in God or creationism.

My intentions have been to contribute to a healthy, constructive conversation centered on the origin of life (which I believe builds upon the discussion of atheism).  And, with the exception of a few times in which parties have gotten a little personal, I think we’ve had that.  As I feel I have already said what I felt was necessary to say concerning creationism, I have nothing left to offer on the topic.

Mark, Thom and Jenny-
    Thank you.  I have appreciated everything you’ve discussed with me.  You have brought to the discussion different links, arguments and thoughts that have really challenge me.  I maintain high levels of respect for each one of you.  I wish I could adequately emphasize my high regards for each of you, but unfortunately I am limited to the works of the keyboard and your interpretations!  In an effort to express that, I will include lots of smileys:
    smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile

Thank you also to the others who have contributed in one form or another (Jenny, Misha, Gamergirl, DJ funk, sprinkerman, peter, etc.)

So, that is where I'm at with the conversation!  I'll continue to participate, but believe that putting to rest our debate on creation/evolution would be fruitful.  Not retreating or giving up, but resting.

How about those rules of atheism?

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image70
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I hope the proud papa will do us the favor of posting pictures when they are available so that we can all dote. big_smile

Blessings to you guys.

6. Thom Carnes profile image61

Mark - the remark about the link was just a (rather feeble) joke!

WeddingConsultant - the feeling is mutual, I assure you. I have really enjoyed and appreciated our discussions here. Many thanks.

7. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

WC -

Even though my responses to the thread didn't really seem to push it along more than a hair, I'm glad to have been a part of it. big_smile

My fiance pointed something fun out to me, (he's an Agnost.) He said - searching for proof that God doesn't exist is not the purview of an atheist.  Belief isn't proven, it just -is-.

8. Mark Knowles profile image58

WC -

I was just telling you how I feel, and attempting to explain why you will probably continue to run into passionate debate on this issue. I agree it's probably left where it is and hope to continue various other discussions as we go big_smile

I tried to explain why I find it scary as best I could. And it doesn't require a response. I also think there are other people who find it scary and are less able to express themselves. If anything, I was hoping it would help you understand when you come onti contact with some one else who argues passionately against you. But most people, like myself, will only really argue when this fake science is used to back the claim up.

As I said, I have no problem with anyone believing just about anything they choose to believe. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with people (such as the website you mentioned) actively promoting fake science to back up their beliefs. I personally find that abhorrent and scary.

If some one believes that all science is BS and they prefer the literal bible version - not a problem for me. I don't understand it, but there you go. If we were all the same, life would be extremely boring. The problem comes when this version is preached in a church, or people attempt to have this taught in schools as just as valid a scientific method as evolution. It's a faith-based belief rather than a science -based belief. And I think it should be taught as such.

I guess that's all I can say on this and don't want to start the argument up again smile

gamergirl - this whole forum was your idea if I remember correctly, so you now have to help us hit the longest forum thread in the history of hubpages. big_smile

So, the rules don't come until we reach that, but I will throw this out and see what you think.

"My life is far simpler, with less worrying about following conventions and religious doctrine. Knowing, as I do, that there is no such thing as God had made my life better - because I can listen to myself instead of what some church tells me."

9. Peter M. Lopez profile image70
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Mark, cute picture.  I will reply when I get back to my computer. big_smile

10. gamergirl profile image84

Mark,

That's a very atheist statement you quotation marked at me. tongue

ATHEISM RULES!

*dives back into the shadows*

11. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 16 years ago

I thought there weren't any rules to Atheism.  wink

12. profile image0

wow Mark, way to call someone defective.  Of course you wouldn't be the only one.

13. Mark Knowles profile image58

Defected, not defective LOL

Don't go all christian on me big_smile

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 16 years agoin reply to this

that's too funny,  i was just thinking the same about you. smile

14. gamergirl profile image84

Hey, saying you defected and that you're defective are two TOTALLY different animals. tongue

15. Mark Knowles profile image58

I think Sandra is just messing with me big_smile

16. gamergirl profile image84

I hoped, thus the sticking out tongue smiley.  big_smile big_smile big_smile

17. Mark Knowles profile image58

Jenny - One of the entertaining things is the suggestion that lack of belief in god is some how about being close-minded smile

Sandra - If that chariot ever arrives, I will be leading the Inquisition. smile

18. Inspirepub profile image73

I am just trying to establish whether the urge to change your mind is still present in our non-atheist brethren, and is no longer being acted upon, or whether it has actually been dispelled completely.

Just for my own personal curiosity.

And Sandra doesn't count because she has never appeared to have that particular urge in the first place. She has always had the grace of a Goddess ...

Jenny

1. WeddingConsultant profile image67
      WeddingConsultantposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Jenny, were you referring to me?  Just wondering, because if so I'll answer.  If not, then that means you read my last couple of posts!

1. Inspirepub profile image73
        Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

No, WC, you and Peter have displayed equal grace with Sandy, in my eyes at least. smile

I was referring to the ones who started out trying to prove to Mark that atheism (or evolution, which they equated with atheism) was wrong.

It seems to me that you entered the conversation with goodwill, and you have explored the available information about evolution and learned things - this hasn't changed your mind, nor would I expect it to, but it has earned you the respect of intelligent people of all belief systems.

Jenny

19. Mark Knowles profile image58

I am not so sure anyone was trying to change my mind in the first place. Every one knows atheism rules, so what's the point? big_smile

Is that how you see it, or do you see people defending their own beliefs?

And I have to say Jenny - next time I need something scientific explaining to me, I am asking you first smile

20. gamergirl profile image84

Mark,

I think non-atheists (odd how that double negative seems to work) get defensive because they feel that when you (the universal atheist you) present yourselves, some feel it is an affront to their own beliefs.  Also, an atheist is like the ultimate conversion target.

21. Jeromeo profile image61
    Jeromeoposted 16 years ago

Most people are born with the desire to live forever.  And God gave us all free will.  Which means if you decide not to believe in him that's OK, you can ignore His, exsitance.  But in the long run you'll find that, because you didn't believe in Him he doesn't believe in you.  And His was the only opinion that realy counted.

Hate to use the trump card but, when another go at life is being handed out and you come up short, you'll understand that atheism only rules, in two places; first is in a heart where true love of God does not exist, and two, in the world of finality where nothing exist.

When you see the UN turn against organized religion, you will still have time to change your mind about being an atheist, till then have fun pretending that God doesn't exist, You will get serious before it's over with.

The only person that can change a person's mind is the person the mind belongs to.  Those who try usually, get frustrated, wearing themselves out trying.

LOL

I can't imagine wanting to live forever. I know how much my 46 year old body hurts in the morning and am dreading the 75 year old version.

And you are in for a nasty surprise when you go to collect your next go at life - this is it - don't waste it.  big_smile  Wildcard beats the trump smile

I do agree about the frustration though .

2. gamergirl profile image84
      gamergirlposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Question:

So, the Bible talks about the rapture quite a bit.. following the return of God through Jesus Christ we see that, at the time of rapture, by the bible's word, those who are truly amongst the Son's Church will be exalted to be by his side or what-have-you, and those who are nonbelievers will be destroyed just as the earth itself will be ripped asunder and also destroyed.

This life is it.  Nada.  Ended.  The bible even says so. 

So, err.. reincarnation is not a Christian belief, but rather a belief held by pagans (heathens, or any other word we can come up with for a non-Jesus worshipping person.)

Actually, some Christians would beg to differ - the Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians who believe they will be reincarnated (but back into their own bodies) and live on Earth forever, and their translation of the Bible from its original languages directly to English supports that interpretation.

Jenny

22. Thom Carnes profile image61

Despite all the posts on this particular topic - despite all the hot air and bluff and bluster (on both sides, myself included!) - there still appears to be some doubt and confusion about what atheism actually *is*.

So we await your Rules, Mark - in the hope that they may clarify the position for those in need of clarification.

In my experience, atheism seems to make believers feel "uncomfortable" in some way. It's as if they simply cannot bring themselves to accept that a person can believe in nothing whatsoever.

"But surely you believe in *something*!" is a response I often get when I declare that I am an atheist."Even if you don't believe in the same God that I believe in, surely you believe in some sort of God!"

When I try to explain that no, I don't actually believe in any sort of God - nor, indeed, in any other supernatural, mystical. paranormal, transcendental or miraculous pnenomena - two things usually happen: either they become more confused than ever and eventually turn and walk away, scratching their heads and muttering under their breath (I can usually just manage to catch the word "weirdo") or they immediately launch into all the arguments, Biblical quotations, personal experiences, second-hand testimonies and anecdotal accounts that we have all heard a thousand times before....

It's as if my professed atheism is, as gamegirl said, an actual *affront* to the very core of their being.

I believe this often says more about the insecurity and uncertainty of their own belief-systems than it does about my total lack of one!

But, then again, as an atheist I must have a closed mind - so what the hell do I know?

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
      SparklingJewelposted 16 years agoin reply to this

True big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile...in reference to your last statement. Actually, all of the above statements are true smilesmilesmile

1. Thom Carnes profile image61
        Thom Carnesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Many thanks, SparklingJewel.

One always appreciates a little constructive criticism.

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
          SparklingJewelposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Love ya, Thom,

I remember when one's professed atheism was an affront to me. It was very confusing at first. But I actually have to be grateful for that interaction with that atheist. Becuase it was that confusion from his professed atheism, at affronted me so, that honed me in to my deepest soul awareness and propelled me in my search for Truth. when I came to realize that the confusion was in my head and not my heart/soul, I realized a mercy for one such as he, that had lost his connection with a grateful and joyful sense of soul within himself.

At first I felt pity for him, then I realized that all come around eventually, or not, and that was his choice, and that my ability to love and accept him where he was at, made a difference on some level.

I am not responsible for where he is, but was responsible for how my feelings about him could affect him on some level. So I chose to take my responsibility as a part of the universe, as I am connected to all of it and everyone.

Love is the answer! big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

2. Peter M. Lopez profile image70

I happen to agree with you, Thom.  If I didn't believe in the God I know I would believe in nothing (in terms of a creator), a wonderful cosmic coincidence, or perhaps not coincidence given probabilities and all.  I mean I agree, your position would be my default.

Jenny, I'm not entirely sure who your comment was directed at, but this non-atheist brother has not been trying to change anyone's mind.

Mark, there should be no stress, my brother.  Jesus came to set people free from stress, among many other things.

Oh, and the Shakespeare picture was cute. big_smile Here is Gen. 1.1:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/Triangle_73a.gif
      http://www.biblewheel.com/images/HoloGen_Tri_simple.gif

And here is John 1:1.

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/LogosStar_Tapestry.gif

If anyone is interested:

http://www.biblewheel.com/default.asp

Again, not my area of expertise, but it is interesting and worth checking out.

1. profile image0

It' always in the stars!  Very cool Peter, very cool.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

I know brother Peter big_smile - I have found another way. And I have said before, there are many ways of interpreting the words Jesus was supposed to have spoken. You are in a minority in reading them this way.

But I hadn't seen this particular mathematical interpretation. To be honest, the Kaballah lends itself to this sort of analysis far better. I think it has something to do with the alphabet used. After 2,000 years - still no answers - or at least, no answers they would share with a gentile such as myself. big_smile

I don't even want to go into how funny I find it that there is this new kaballah religion in the US. If ever there was an esoteric version - this is it. Want to buy a wrist band? Only $50 - big_smile

If you haven't seen it yet, this film is worth a look:

http://www.w3.org/Math/characters/glyphs/003/U003C0.pngPi

Can't work out how to link the website to the image - stress man !

My point was - you can draw mathematical inferences from any piece of written work, and not to read much into it.

Good example though. smile

1. profile image0

E, A, D, G, B, E...  something that all things share.

2. Peter M. Lopez profile image70

Yes, the study of the Hebrew alphabet and the meanings and numerical values of the respective letters is a similar field of study.  I have actually spent a great deal of time studying the Hebrew alphabet.  It is quite remarkable.  I personally believe the origin of the Hebrew alphabet is divine, as well, but that's a discussion for another day.Actually, the primary focus of the site I linked to is similar, but there are mathematical components as well.  The Kaballah phenomenon is interesting (amusing, really), but no bracelets for me, thanks.

Yes, excellent film.  I saw it a few years ago when it first came out, it is fascinating.  And I do agree that you can find math almost anywhere you look. 

However, go find a text where the mathematics is so dense and consistent across thousands of years, and the alphabet used in the texts reveals internally consistent storylines within the meaning of the letters used, and the names of the characters all reveal different aspects of the story itself, and was written by peasants (as you cite), and...

It simply doesn't exist, and IMHO it cannot exist.

Once again, we will have to agree to disagree. And these go back to before the written word even:

http://www.blazelabs.com/f-u-free.asp
            http://www.sacredsites.com/africa/egypt … ramid.html
            http://www.goldenmuseum.com/0302Pyramids_engl.html
            http://members.aol.com/stoneequation/

Mathematics has not only been around longer than writing, it is something that exists naturally.

I even threw in an extra link big_smile

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image70

This hardly predates the written word as it seems to be placed and dated from Egypt after the Hebrews had been there.  The Hebrew alphabet predates this.  Archeologists have found ancient Hebrew writings spanning from Egypt across the Sinai Peninsula and up through Israel dating well before this.

But, I will let your Mormon buddies know you are citing their texts.

Yes, excellent examples of ancient mathematics...although they don't quite satisfy the other criteria, do they?

A+ for effort though. big_smile

LOL

No, but they demonstrate the fact that there are mathematical equations in, not only writing, but many other places. Such as leaves. smile  And some of these have been around considerably longer than the bible. Thought you would enjoy the extra link. Still waiting for THE TRUTH to arrive. big_smile

I do not assume divinity when I see that these mathematical patterns exist. big_smile

Plus, there is as much disagreement over these as the basic words.

23. Mark Knowles profile image58

Thom - You can borrow this if you like big_smile  :

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2778/sarcasm3ix4.gif

24. WeddingConsultant profile image67

Thom, it doesn't surprise me that you get this comment:

I can only speak for America, but I've seen statistics that show that somewhere in the range of 70 to 90% believe that a god exists.  (This poll is from 2003: http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris … sp?PID=408).  Maybe that helps you understand why some are taken back by it?...just a thought.

25. Mark Knowles profile image58

Hey WC - How's that baby coming along?

26. WeddingConsultant profile image67

Any week now.  We're polling family and having them guess the date and time!  Closest one wins special time with baby...

And I thought the reward was great, but dad aptly pointed out that diaper changes would be involved...so maybe we should come up with a better reward.

Thanks for asking!

27. Mark Knowles profile image58

How about every one else takes your turn at changing the diaper? big_smile

haha I don't want to punish them for guessing correctly!  Then everyone would "predict" she is coming in December...

No - I mean if YOU win, everyone else takes your turn big_smile

Ohhhhh I like where you're going with this...

28. profile image0

generally speaking I think that organized religion does have it's good qualities.  I would say even though Christainity was not originally intended to be a religion ( Constantine ) it was developed for the poor and lowely and "sinners" so that they would feel like they had something.  And despite the effects of the ones who have gone and done awful in the name of religion,  it does it's fair share of balancing out the world. 

You can't really blame wars and injustice on religion, it would happen anyways.  The world goes round whether you believe in God or not. 

I think the desire to have everlasting life comes from wishing on a star that one day we could have a chance to live in peace and harmony with everything.

29. marisuewrites profile image58
    marisuewritesposted 16 years ago

I will tell you one comment my dad made to a proclaimed atheist:  It went something like this: " If I, as a believer am wrong, then I have done no harm and lived a good life.  If you on the other hand are wrong; then will you be in sorrow as you face your God?  Regret?  Fear? Grief? Trepidation?  Wanting to go back and re-do, re-live?  Of the two; which position would you rather be in? 

For those who believe, they are just as convinced of His existance - not all that "is"  is tangible - nor does it have to be, for believers.  The choice, of course is yours.   I'm not arguing that fact.  For me, He is.  smile

On the other hand, if you devote your life to the service of the Lord. Hiding in a monastery or nunnery for instance, or persuading people that there is a God and they are going to hell unless they believe.  Or trying to unravel the mathematical properties of the bible. Then you die and it turns out to be wrong. What a waste.

And how many people are wasting this life based on the promise of a better one in the next life,  (depending on the version you are going with.) Just a few minutes ago, I saw someone write that the resurrection is the only thing that makes this life bearable. I feel sorry for them.

Plus, if I am wrong and have still lived a good life, I get to go to heaven anyway - depending who's version you believe. Win, win as far as I'm concerned. Without the stress.

1. profile image0

Good points, but people who devote thier lives to the Lord in monestaries and such isn't a waste to them.  That is what they want to do. 
        And to them, they are living the best of both worlds.  Just like you.

Have you seen Simpsons the movie?  My favorite part is when the dome comes over Springfield and all the people in the bar run to the church, and the people in the church run to the bar. LOL, too funny.

LOL - It will be when they discover that there is no God big_smile

Not seen that yet. But it sounds like my kind of worship.

2. profile image51
        Tom Hposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Someone who says that the resurrection is the only thing that makes this life bearable, clearly does not understand that as we grow in Christ the fruit of the Spirit begins to manifest in our lives. Love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness goodness, faith etc... (Gal. 5:22-23) are the fruit of the Spirit. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that once someone is a Christian, everything is eternal bliss. Life happens, but as we grow in the Lord we become more aware that we are not going through life alone.
        That reminds me of something that happened to me over 25 years ago in my early Christian experience.
        I was talking to my uncle, when he said something to the effect of: "Tom, I could understand you getting religion when you are old, but you are young now and have good times to live, don't waist it." My uncle and many people seem to think that when one becomes a Christian life is boring and they can't have any fun.
        I can tell you honestly that my life didn't really become fun until I actually became a Christian.
        What did I give up, not a lot. Other than say getting drunk and a few other things that really just give the illusion of fun anyway.

What works for you is not the same as what works for the next guy. Apparently, you understand the words much better than anyone else. This was not my point. My point was that many people interpret that particular version of the bible in this way. Right, wrong or in between, I feel sorry for them.

This is life. Now. Take it or leave it, there is nothing else afterwards. big_smile

3. profile image51

It is not about what works for one person might not work for someone else.
        It is about what God wants as revealed in the Scriptures that is important.
        It is true that Scripture needs to be taken in context, it is also true that Scripture is objective truth, not subjective truth.
        Though there are exceptions, when trying to understand what a Bible passage is saying if we just do a little bit of diligent study, it is not hard to understand what the author is getting at.

When I said what I did in my previous posts, I was not attacking anyone. I was just pointing people to the truth that the Bible reveals.
        The resurrection should be a great sourse of comfort to every Christian, but it doesn't end there. To be sure without the death and resurrection of Christ, we could not enter heaven. But Scripture reveals a lot more that just tolerating this earthly life than that.

For the Christian who is tempted to think otherwise, I ask you to read 2Tim. 3:16-17. That could not be true, if Scripture was subjective.

If this particular scripture (and I assume you are referring to your particular version of the bible rather than the original version?) is objective, rather than subjective why is your version so different?

And why is there so much disagreement? Or is that because everyone else is just reading it incorrectly? And your way is the right way? Sounds rather subjective to me.

Unfortunately, there is no god. Only man's version of events twisted to suit the day's requirements. Sorry.

Guess what? What works for you - does not work for me. I have seen the light. big_smile

And I say unto you:

Don’t associate with non-Christians.  Don’t receive them into your house or even exchange greeting with them.  2 John 1:10

Shun those who disagree with your religious views.  Romans 16:17

Paul, knowing that their faith would crumble if subjected to free and critical inquiry, tells his followers to avoid philosophy. Colossians 2:8

Everyone will have to worship Jesus -- whether they want to or not. Philippians 2:10

A Christian can not be accused of any wrongdoing. Romans 8:33

big_smile big_smile

Peace. Quote that rubbish to me, I will quote it right back.

1. profile image51

Mark said:

Hi Mark

I see you are trying to use Scripture out of context.
            2John 1:10 is not just talking about ordinary unbelievers; it is talking about people who are false teachers. By befriending false teachers, we are in essence condoning what they are doing and taking sides with mockers.
            If you read the whole context of this verse, it isn’t too hard to know the context.

Romans 16:17 again is talking about those who cause divisions among Christians, these again are false teachers who seek to deceive those who are not mature in the faith.
            Read the whole context and it shouldn’t be hard to figure that out.

Come to think of it, although I don’t know your heart, you seem a lot like the kind of person these passages are warning against.

I have looked at the other Scripture verses you used and I see a similar pattern.
            People like you, use clever devised arguments to try to destroy the faith of those who are not mature in their faith yet. It shouldn’t surprise anyone then to see warnings against people like yourself.
            It is not hard to make a young child believe a lie and it is also not all that hard to do the same with a believer who does not know the Scriptures well enough to recognize that they are being deceived.

I am a person who over the years has learned the truth not to cast my pearls before swine, because it is unprofitable to do so. I hope and pray that you don’t prove yourself to be one. Your response to this post should tell me one way or another.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Tom

I respect your right to believe whatever you want to believe, provided you live a moral life that doesn't hurt your fellow man.  However, you need to know that the argument you use above is used by almost every cult you care to name.   It's how cults control their followers and prevent them learning the truth - by claiming that anyone who dares question is "dangerous".

Surely any faith which has a strong foundation has nothing to fear from critics, because it can have confidence in its ability to prove those critics wrong?

Well, I suggest to you that it is all but impossible not to quote a 2,000 year old fairy tale written by bronze age peasants out of context. smile

Are we getting it yet? Allow me to interpret - I think you are a false teacher. You came into this discussion quoting out of context - and didn't even bother to quote the text itself - you just placed a reference without even saying which particular version of the fairy tale you were quoting from.  This is not only lazy, it is also assuming that I, and the others on this thread would take the time to look up your poorly-thought-out reference. (Which Jenny has already pointed out some of the flaws in.) And it would appear that you do not know the difference between subjective and objective, because you accuse me of things rather than addressing my genuine argument. Objective? Why the disagreement amongst christians then?

This is called irony. Another word for you to look up in the dictionary. I really wonder why I cast my pearls before such swine, although I hope you will take this as a learning experience and buy a truly good book. May I respectfully suggest the Oxford English version?

I know it is not hard to make a young child believe a lie. This is why I think the bible should not be taught in schools other than as an interesting folk tale. And I do not need to use any cleverly designed arguments. It's a very simple argument actually. Open your mind and you will see it is true.

Not sure what you mean by "people like me," but I certainly find that tone offensive.

No doubt tthis response will "prove," my heart to you and you can cast me out, or do whatever it is you book tells you to do with unbelievers. smile

In the meantime - perhaps you would answer my question:

If the scripture in the bible is truly objective - why is there so much argument over the meaning?

1. profile image51

My apologies for not telling which Bible version I was using, or quoting the passage. I was using the KJV; however there are many other versions such as the New King James Version and the New American Standard that I use.

Mark you mentioned that I used the Bible out of context, which is something I accused you of.
                Rather than getting into a long drown out debate as to who is quoting in context. I will let the reader decide for themselves, by actually going to the texts themselves.
                They will only need to read the context of the chapter around it to find out, this isn’t too much to ask, if someone really wants to know.
                Despite what you might think about that, this is not a cop out. I just have better things to do with my time. Besides I don't need to prove to anyone that the God that is revealed in the Scriptures is the one and only true God. He is big enough to do that for himself, I am just a messenger doing what he wants me to do and that is to proclaim the Gospel and leaving the saving to Him.

You asked: Why is there so much disagreement over meaning?

The simple answer to that is the fact that many don't know the Scriptures and are too lazy to read the Bible for themselves. Many take the word of others to do that for them. I know this because I was guilty of this myself and I was eventually burnt.
                There are also many other reasons, to which I will only mention one.
                Christianity is actually in crisis, movements such as the New Age Movement are gaining ground among otherwise good Christian Churches. When that kind of teaching is mixed with the Bible, you end up with something that definitely is not Christian.
                I will not get into the specifics of this, because I really don't want to make this post too long, but never the less it is happening.

No. I asked why there was so much disagreement over the meaning - if scripture is objective.

Even people who have studied the bible for many years often cannot agree on some of the meanings.

This is not an objective truth. The bible is subjective, and many of the meanings are hidden in archaic terms. Also, there are many inconsistencies in the bible and people read what they wish to read to further their own ends.

I am well aware that the church is in crisis. This is not the same thing as christianity as far as I am concerned.

Otherwise good Christian Churches? What is that supposed to mean?

2. Inspirepub profile image73

How do you reconcile this with the well-documented part of the scriptures full of unconscionable requirements like stoning people to death for adultery and fortune-telling? That women be silent in the church? And all the rest of the joys of Leviticus?

What about the part where the Lord sent an evil spirit to make Saul kill David? Do you really think God is in the business of sending evil spirits? (1 Samuel 19:9-10 NAB)

Or this one? If two Israelite men are fighting and the wife of one tries to rescue her husband by grabbing the testicles of the other man, her hand must be cut off without pity.   (Deuteronomy 25:11-12 NLT)

No good Christian could possibly condone such inhumane acts, and neither could God.

Jenny

1. profile image51

Jenny said:

One must remember that when those things were written, Israel was a theocracy, today we don't live in a theocracy.
            I like how Jesus handled the case of the women caught in adultery in John chapter 8. The scribes and Pharisees in their attempt to trap Jesus brought a woman before Jesus and told Jesus that according to law she should be stoned.
            Jesus replied back (verse 7) "...,He that is without sin among you, let him cast a stone at her."KJV
            In the next few verses we notice that everyone left, because there wasn't one that was without sin. Then Jesus told her among other things, (verse 11) "Neither do I condemn thee: go and sin no more."KJV
            We should notice that Jesus was very merciful to her, for he could have been the very one to cast the first stone.
            The laws that were given to the people such as this one were given in order to show just how important God thought of remaining pure was. There are admittedly things in the Old Testaments that I don't understand, to which I need to study more about. But I do know that God has His reasons for everything.
            I do not want to be guilty of making God in my own image. We don't even need to understand everything that God has recorded in Scripture, it is more important that we obey Him. When we pick and choose what we want to believe from the Bible, we make God in our image.
            We are the clay; He is the potter, not the other way around.

That is all I have time for at the moment, I will get back to this when I get time.

1. Misha profile image62
              Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Ummm, then how you decide what in the book is because of theocracy and should be dropped, and what genuine and evergreen and should be left? Shouldn't the whole book be discarded on that ground then?

1. profile image51

My point about Israel being a theocracy when that was written, was to point out that in a theocracy it is God who rules the nation.
                Although God is still sovereign in everything now, the reality is that law was meant for Israel for a specific purpose.
                That purpose of course is still relevent even today, just not how it is acted out by those who punish wrong doing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you were the person who said Scripture was objective?

You can't have it both ways.

Either it is objective (factual, true) or it is subjective (happening in the mind of the observer).

If the interpretation of a piece of scripture varies depending on who reads it, FOR ANY REASON, including the form of government under which that person lives, then the meaning is happening in the mind of the observer.

If the interpretation is the same, regardless of who reads it or when or why, then it is objective.

So, for example, "this is good soup" is subjective.

"The sky is blue" is objective (it's blue even when there are clouds that stop us seeing the blue, or we are blind and don't even know what "blue" means).

"This is the right thing to do" is subjective.

Now, you can claim the Scripture is objective, in which case you have to live with the horrors of Leviticus. Alternatively, you accept relativism, that morality shifts with time and circumstances, in which case you cannot hold on to the Scripture as she is written.

Either choice is valid, but you can't flip flop between the two at your convenience. Pick one and stick with it.

Jenny

1. profile image51

Jenny

I see nothing in my post that conflicts with my view that Scripture is objective truth.
                    Just because certain aspects of Scripture (such as stoning) were meant for a specific time, doesn't mean it becomes subjective.
                    God is the one that puts governments in place, for His own purposes. Stoning can only happen when a theocracy is in place.

By the way, I don't believe what is written in Leviticus is horror. Perhaps you missed it, but just before I posted my last message, I answered your query on how I can reconcile the passage in 1Sam. that talks about God sending a devil.

2. Misha profile image62
                  Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Tom,

You did not answer my question. Let me re-phrase in case I was not clear enough - how do you decide what parts of Bible do not apply to our current life? Does Bible have remarks like - use this two sentences only under theocracy? Or - under theocracy interpret this part this way, and under democracy - that way? In China use this part, and in Russia - that?

If you use your personal judgment and interpretation, how it is objective?

1. profile image51

In understanding Scripture, one must know things such as context to understand what it is saying. For example, who is the passage talking to? What is the basic meaning of the passage? Etc...
                    In this particular case, since obviously the stoning aspect of the passage can no longer happen. The aspects that still remain are still true, such as God doesn't approve of adultery, This we know because it is an aspect that is confirmed over and over again through out Scripture. It should be obvious at least in this case that this applies to all peoples of the world.
                    I hope that answers your question.

2. Inspirepub profile image73

Of course, the problem with this argument is that you can't simultaneously satisfy all the different Gods that might "tut tut" at you in the afterlife. In fact, you can't even satisfy all the versions of the "One True God" of Christianity.

As the Devil said to the Christians "I'm sorry, but the Jews were right."

Jenny

30. profile image0

Oh and the part when Homer says, Cant I just worship Jesus in my own way, like praying like Hell on my death bed.  Praise Jebus.  LOLOL.

31. profile image51
    Tom Hposted 16 years ago

I am new to these forums and thought I would post my thoughts on this particular topic.

I am a Christian; however I am not offended if someone doesn't believe in God, that is between them and God. I do however, care about where everybody is going to spend eternity and because of that I will proclaim the Gospel to anyone who will listen.
    Despite what anyone says they believe, everyone knows that there is a God, because as Scripture says (Romans 1:20) "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse."

I used to take it personal when someone didn't believe the Gospel when I proclaimed it; however I now understand that it is my job to proclaim the Gospel, but it is the Holy Spirit's job to convict and lead them to Christ.
    John 6:37 says (Jesus talking) "All that the Father giveth to me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." Basically Jesus was telling people why they didn't believe, which the first part of that verse shows us. If someone doesn't come to Jesus for salvation, it is because the Father hasn't given them to him.
    If you read on in that chapter you can see this confirmed.

I can use the best arguments for creation that there is, even if someone sees a miracle it will not convince them to come to Jesus, because the things of God are foolishness to them that are perishing, they must first have their spiritual eyes opened by God. (1Cor. 2:14)

I don't want to make this a book, so I will stop there for now.

32. profile image0

Tom, if a person says that the ressurection makes life bearable, than it really means it makes that persons life bearable. 

Being christian doesn't give you permission to dump on someone elses belief in the way it is best for them. 

I don't think going to church get anyone any closer to God, but thinking this for myself doesn't in anyway say that it is not good for you.

What she said. big_smile (apart from the bit about there being a god)

33. profile image0

this is what I think when it comes to you Mark. concerning scripture.

that when God comes, those who have not yet believed will have thier time to shine.
    So...
    Everything you say is perfect. Can't argue with a person for saying.  I will believe it when I see it.  So until then, carry on brotha man. 
    Atheism rules until God comes and says otherwise.  wink smile

34. profile image0

Here Tom,  you wanna know what I think about Jesus? 

http://hubpages.com/hub/This-Is-the-Val … w-of-Death

Bet you wont read past the part about him being the Angel of Death.  LOL.

35. gamergirl profile image84

This is a truly epic thread.

36. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Everybody is waiting for Mark to post rules, and chatting meanwhile big_smile

37. gamergirl profile image84

Eh, I've tried to contribute.. no result.  So, I'm just furthering the goal of 40 pages. big_smile

Sorry gamergirl - I was defending the un-faith against the non-righteous on too many fronts at the time. big_smile

And I think it's 42 pages smile

38. gamergirl profile image84

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se … ;version=9

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se … ersion=72;

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se … ersion=72;

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se … ersion=74;

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se … version=9;

Some passages regarding the 'rapture period' I referred to before.  Basically, the bible in numerous versions states that Jesus will come, take away his followers, and then those who do not proclaim their love for him in their hearts (because their hearts will be laid bare by the trumpets sounding the coming of the Lord, in some translations/variants) will be left on Earth to face the destruction of it, themselves, and all that does not rest in the Kingdom of Heaven.

At least, that's how I've interpreted it over the years.  Mind you, I've studied other religions and faith systems for nearly 15 years now and there are cases of the threat of destruction in many other religions.  It's something of a spiritual scare tactic, really.

1. profile image0

Possibly, but science also indicates the same thing.  Global warming, Planet X etc.  Unless the everything is a lie.  Everyone is going to die eventually, at some point in time.  As for the destruction of the world,  that will eventually happen,  no one knows when.  But I think it is actually something that should be agreed on.
      Knowing that it will happen one day, maybe another million years from now would mean that it is all true.  So the stories will go on until it's time. 
      Plus, there isn't anything wrong with people taking comfort in believing that Jesus is going to scoop them up.  I think it makes death more approachable. 
      No one knows what happens after death accept what we can see here, so it doesn't mean that it isn't true. 
      I don't think it is a scare tactic, I think it more like, distasteful delivery of the message, no tact.
      When I think about it,  I can say that there doing it because they really want you to not go to Hell.  However, the way it comes across is anything but delightful or heart warming etc.
      And usually ending with go to hell.  smile

39. Inspirepub profile image73

Well, considering that Jesus unequivocally said that Armageddon would occur during the lifetimes of the people he was speaking to ...

"Truly I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:27 NAB)

He also said to them, "Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see that the kingdom of God has come in power."  (Mark 9:1 NAB)

"Consider the fig tree and all the other trees.  When their buds burst open, you see for yourselves and know that summer is now near; in the same way, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near.  Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place.  Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away."  (Luke 21:25-33 NAB)

"When they persecute you in one town, flee to another. Amen, I say to you, you will not finish the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes."  (Matthew 10:23 NAB)

... we can all heave a sigh of relief and stop worrying. The Second Coming must have occurred before the last listener at that speech died. OK, so all the people who were watching out for it missed the signs, but since the Scriptures are objective, not subjective, Jesus must have returned when he said he would.

So the next 1,000 years were the time of the Devil's rule on Earth (and yeah, there was some pretty horrible stuff happening everywhere), and some time in the Middle Ages we entered the period where Jesus rules Earth, which will last another couple hundred years or so.

Since we are here, clearly we are OK with Jesus, whether we know it or not.

The Scriptures do not lie. (oh, for an irony smilie ...)

Jenny

40. profile image0

The greatest advise you will ever receive is when I tell you,  First find God before you read the Bible.  Then understand Jesus.
    Don't do it the other way around.  That is a simple great and mighty truth and a new philosophy for today.  To do so is killing yourself. 
    This is mine, I wrote it today.  Remember it one day. 

Sandra Rinck

41. Roseberry profile image59
    Roseberryposted 16 years ago

Hi read your post but have a question about what you wrote. You say to find God first than you will find Jesus, but the Bible tells us that the only way to find God is though Jesus.

So we must know Jesus to know the one and only God. Right?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Jesus is the Son of God, not God Himself.

2. profile image0

If you don't know the Father, the Creator, where are you going to go?  If you don't know the Father, the Creator, or in Muslim, Allah, you don't know why you need Jesus.  If you don't know God, the Father, Allah, the Creator of All things, you have no use for Jesus.

But Jesus will come claim you either way.  Jesus is the all, the giver of life and death. Created by God, to give us life and death.  Which in the way most think, endows him as God, because he is the one to give life and take it.  He is not however, the Creator of all things.  He did not Create God, He did not Create Heaven and Hell,  he is the one who Judges in death will either pass you through him to the Father, the Creator, or to Hell.  No one gets past death, no one does.

Jesus said: Love the Father, the Creator of Heaven and Earth, rule number one first and foremost. 
      God always comes first.  Even when you read the Bible, God comes first.  Not Jesus then God. 

If and atheist believes that everyone should read the Bible, I disagree, you are wrong.  What business could you have with God, if you don't know or believe in God. 
      What business does a Christian have with the Bible if you don't know God first?

If any proclaimed Christain says I am wrong, guess again.  You are wrong.  The Bible is sacred, you have no business with it without knowing God first.  How do you know God first without reading the Bible?

You go out and seek it. God chooses, not you.   There are no short cuts, this the Bible tells you is true.  Then and only then can anyone ever really understand the Bible.  You want to talk about the Devil, how tricky he can be?  Well welcome to your own problems because you too have been deceived.

Deceived by the very words you preach, the contradictions you don't understand.  The devisions you create.  The blasphemy you teach.  The lies you call truth.  The people you lead to slaughter. 

Only people ordained by God himself have any business with this book.  Faulty preachers and  pastors and rabbis and priest, you did this and sent out your lamb to the wolves without any cover.  You should be ashamed. 

You may think you have nothing without Jesus, your wrong, you have nothing without the Father, the Creator, the God of Gods of Heaven of Earth of Spirits, of All. 

To witness this is the worlds greatest and saddest truth.  You build a world on lies, and lies you call truth. 

If you want to talk about sharing and blood on your hands...beware of Satan in the Bible and how tricky he can be.

42. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Most Christians agree Jesus is the Son of God, not God Himself.

43. Jeromeo profile image61
    Jeromeoposted 16 years ago

Let's stick to the original primise of the forum; Atheism Rules.  And in this thread it seems to do just that.

Why?  Because every one that participates seems to be trying to save Mark; who clearly does not want or need saving, or destroy atheism by denouncing it.

Let's break it down. What is atheism?  It is a belief system an anti spiritiual concept; that denies the exitance of God, and preaches that mankind would be better off if it didn't have to carry the weight of believing in God, loving your neighbor, the fact that someone created the beauty we see around us, and salvation.

When we argue against these truths we being imperfect beings show our imperfection by stepping away form the very love we are supposed to be guided by.  We get angry and over zealous.  And in some cases make fools of ourselves, getting caught up in contraditctions.

We can not destroy atheism as a concept it does exist. As a concept it is here to stay as long as this [wicked] system of things exist.  And in that respect athism is a false God, because thoes who believe in atheism; as a way of life worship the concept.  Or do they?

Ask yourselves?  How many atheists have friends?  How many atheist have children and are married, and claim to love there wives and off spring. How many atheist are upstanig members of their commuities.  God is Love, With out God there would be no Love.  to denounce that which makes you whole, is to deny yourself.   

I realy want to stay away form personal references but Mark, is revcieving much love form: Jenny and many others who participate in this forum hoping to change his mind about God.
    Truly they expose them selves to being carried away by his beliefs ever time they try and fail to pull him out of the fire.

But let's ask ourselves another question?  What does the emptyness of atheism have to offer. The concept holds that the Bible is a pack of lives so that ruls out the resurrection, everlasting life, and angels and for that matter heaven. It also put forth that there is no God, so once again they deny there own existance.

In other words there is no past, present, or future for those who believe in atheism, there is no hope and there is no, promise.  Anyone with a forth grade education can see atheism tho it seems to be real is just an empty hologram.  Why waste time on nothing. 

One day something profound will happen to make people who believe in atheism change their way of thinking in the mean time you don't want ot get to close to a man about to jump off a ten story building, he just may take you with him

In my last entry to this thread, I said that everlasting life was what made this life bearable.  It was like throwing meat to a a hungry lion.  The statement was dysected, Bar-B-Qued, and fed to the dogs/dismissed.  And it was insinuated that I needed therapy for saying such a thing.

But ask your selves; when you wake up and  hear on the news, that some 21 year old college student; studying to be a Doctor, building a life of commitment to others; was kidnapped raped and murdered, do you think this life is really that great. Don't you think a life where you didn't have to lock your doors at night or worry about being car jacked would be better. 

When you wake up and find Gas has gone up another 50 cents, and you're already eating powdered eggs to make ends meet, is this realy the life.

Looking forward to that life by proving myself in this one is what makes this life life bearable

Atheism by its denial of God takes a stand against love and promotes survial of the fitness; live for today for there is no tommorrow, 

Knowing that soon God will destroy this wicked system of things and everyone who does not believe in him,  saddens me. I am sadden because we are all brothers and sisters, and you don't want ot see any one die, but you can not make people accept, Jesus Christ or believe in God.

God gave us all free will.  So if you hear this and ignore it it's your own chose that condems you. According to Gods Will, any one who knows the truth and does not share it has blood guilt.

So I share,  and what I will share with you now is this: in this systemof things atheism does rule.  There are more who believe in it in it's many forms than believe in God and what He has promised.  so donn't try  to disprove the statement, you can't. 

The only thing each of us can do is seek God, subscribe to love for God and our neighbors, and share the [Good News] that this is a proving ground for those who will inhierit; a paridise earth.

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yours was a long post, and full of very dubious statements. Take your opening (quoted). That may be your definition of atheism but it's a very wrong one. Atheism is simply not believing in the existence of god. It doesn't preach, even if some atheists do. It says nothing about loving or not loving your neighbour. It does not talk about salvation because it does not acknowledge 'original sin' or damnation. All in all, it's not difficult. It is not a belief system. In fact it frees one from the need for belief.

Paraglider has already said that this is a long post and I don't want to requote the entire thing, or  repeat what paraglider stated - so I will just pick on this snippet.

You use the word truth incorrectly. This is the dictionary definition of the word:

Conformity to fact or actuality.
      A statement proven to be or accepted as true.
      Sincerity; integrity.
      Fidelity to an original or standard.

These truths you speak of are not actually truths.

I have friends. I am not even going to tell you how offensive it is that you would even say such a thing. It seems extremely unchristian of you.

I am married and love my wife.

I am an upstanding member of my community.

I even love my neighbor on occasion - or at least tolerate him big_smile

I know many "christians," who do not meet these criteria.

You are completely missing the point. And I feel sorry for you. You do not need to believe in god to feel or show love. There is love without god.

You seem to equate being a good person with being a christian. LOL I am not even going to,once again list the atrocities and barbarities done in the name of god. LOL But there is a whole 'nother thread covering that.

I did not say you need therapy - I said I felt sorry for you. And it wasn't in this thread that you posted that the resurrection is what makes life bearable. I still feel sorry for you. Rather than just accepting what ever gets thrown at you in this life and saying to your self, "Well, it doesn't matter - It will all be OK in the next life," is a complete misunderstanding of both the bible and the meaning of life. Now, if you want to talk about a waste.....

I suggest you think before replying. There is no rush and you can edit your text.

3. Peter M. Lopez profile image70

Welcome, Jeromeo.  I do not believe we have had the pleasure of communicating on this forum before. 

Who is trying to save Mark?  Mark has been quite explicit that he needs no saving.  There have been some who might have gotten carried away a time or two, but the history of this thread has been, for the most part, quite a pleasant exchange of ideas.  I believe more of this type of discussion would benefit everyone. 

I think a key to humans getting along and cooperating is understanding each other, not through our own lens, but understanding others on their own terms.  I am exceedingly glad this thread has gone on for 40+ pages, atheists and theists alike have shared, and, again for the most part, have remained friends.  I am also exceedingly glad that you have joined in.  I look forward to your continued participation.

Just out of curiosity, are you a Jehovah's Witness?  Someone referenced Witnesses earlier (Jenny, I believe), but none have responded as far as I can tell.  Although, your word choice makes me think you might be.  Yes? No? 

Welcome.

44. Inspirepub profile image73

I know many atheists who not only preach "love thy neighbor", they practice it much better than many so-called Christians.

I also know many atheists who believe in salvation, transformation, and redemption.

I know many atheists who have intense spiritual experiences and are happy to call them that.

They just don't subscribe to any of the commonly-held belief systems about the nature of Deity and the requirements the Deity has for our current behavior.

They believe that the right thing to do is the right thing to do simply because it is right - that is, because it forwards love and unity in this world. They don't believe something is right because some hypothetical being in another world dictated it was "the right thing to do".

They are no less moral than Christians, and often more so because they have been required to think through their moral positions, rather than being told what they should be. They are no less loving than Christians, and often are more so because they do not sit in a building every week and have guilt, fear and threats preached at them.

If I was to choose one person to rule the world, the best atheist would be an equally good choice as the best Christian, in my estimation, or the best Buddhist, for that matter.

If we had to have the worst one, though, I would choose the worst atheist over the worst Christian every time. There has been much more harm done in this world by bad Christians than by bad atheists.

And I am not hoping to change Mark's mind, either! I love it just the way it is.

Jenny

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Of course, but in the personal sense. Not salvation from hell or redemption of original sin both of which are theistic concepts.

45. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I am an agnostic - which means I have an open mind.  However, I think it's unlikely God exists in the form depicted by most mainstream religions, so some Christians would tag me as an atheist.

I'm happily married to a man I love with all my heart.  I believe that everyone on this planet has a duty to do no harm. I believe in making the best of life here on earth, not see it as something to be endured in the hope of something better in a future life.  I believe that we all have an obligation to respect each other.

I don't need God to tell me to do all those things.  Atheists aren't miserable beings with no friends - I have never heard such a ridiculous statements.  They are people who, in many cases, find greater joy in the world as it is, and the people they share it with, because they believe it's the only one they have.

46. gamergirl profile image84

A recent study by the  Barna Research Group throws extreme doubt on these estimates. Barna released the results of their poll about divorce on 1999-DEC-21. 1 They had interviewed 3,854 adults from the 48 contiguous states. The margin of error is ±2 percentage points. The survey found:
    ***    11% of the adult population is currently divorced.
    ***    25% of adults have had at least one divorce during their lifetime.
    ***    Divorce rates among conservative Christians were significantly higher than for other faith groups, and much higher than Atheists and Agnostics experience.

Just saying.

47. profile image0

Scripture is neither subjective or objective to people of God.

What is it then?

1. profile image0

subject to followers of Jesus = faith of uncertainty
        objective to atheist = open for debate because you don't believe in God.

?

1. profile image0

both only know of God, neither know God. 

That is the difference.

2. gamergirl profile image84
          gamergirlposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Scripture is subjective because it's interpretations come from the minds of the believers.  Only the original authors of the various pieces of the bible know their original intended meaning, a meaning which has been diluted and twisted the more versions of the bible come out.

It would be objective if the point of scripture wasn't to specifically incite worship, emotion, shifting of allegiances and was written from an unbiased viewpoint.

1. profile image0

But that's what you think because you don't know God either.

48. gamergirl profile image84

It's fish, Mark.

Scripture = fish.

You sure it's not bait? big_smile

49. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Could someone explain to me this fish thing? It does not exist in orthodox...

1. Silent Assassin profile image60
      Silent Assassinposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I remember hearing that back in the early days of christianity the christians used the fish as a symbol versus a cross ( some sort of secret sign that only the christians knew about) to identify themselves and avoid persecution from the romans

50. gamergirl profile image84

No no, Mark, Misha - it's fish.  This is what I think about it:

The people who think fish tastes great and is the best ever will keep eating fish regardless of whether or not it's poisoning their bodies and minds.

The people who doubt the awesome taste of fish try various kinds until they find one they like, but even then there is probably another kind of fish they like too.

The people who don't like fish just don't eat it and can't see why other people love it so much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)