Atheism Rules !

Jump to Last Post 351-400 of 666 discussions (1781 posts)
  1. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Sandra:

Actually, I have a pretty tight spiritual bond with She who I call Mother.  Do not assume because I make intellectual statements based on both word meaning and over a decade of study that my relationship with the Divine is nonexistant.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I didn't you did.

2. gamergirl profile image86

-blinks-

Sandra - can you please explain your posts lately?  They've gotten a little detached and I'm wondering if you're feeling ok or am I just misunderstanding you?

1. profile image0

I wasn't talking about the Mother.  you made that assumption.  Sorry if it came out wrong. smile

1. profile image0

gamergirl wrote:

Sandra:

Actually, I have a pretty tight spiritual bond with She who I call Mother.  Do not assume because I make intellectual statements based on both word meaning and over a decade of study that my relationship with the Divine is nonexistant.

Is this were we went wrong gamergirl.  I can't believe that a dispute could literally come from my use of subjective and objective. 

I don't want hard feelings between us.  I am really not trying to make you mad.  But the more I try to reconcile, the angrier you are becoming. 

What's up?

3. Peter M. Lopez profile image72
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Fish seems appropriate.

Jeremiah 16:16: "Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the LORD, and they shall fish them..."

Mark 1:17: "And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men."

Scripture is frequently related to spiritual food, most often bread, but the greatest miracles involved both loaves and fish.  So, yes, FISH.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Fish is definitely appropriate.

http://www.atheists.org/christianity/fish.html

big_smile

Sandra - You lost me too I'm afraid. big_smile

One minute you are an atheist. Next you are speaking in tongues. big_smile

And I have just seen your last post as I write this so I thought it might be an idea to do this:

Objective:
      Of or having to do with a material object.
      Something that actually exists.
      Having actual existence or reality.

Subjective:

Proceeding from or taking place in a person's mind rather than the external world
      Existing only in the mind; illusory.
      Existing only within the experiencer's mind.
      Relating to the real nature of something; essential.

Thus, scripture is subjective, and open to interpretation.

1. profile image0

When you are wrong, you are wrong.  The Bible was not meant for everyone, especially those who don't believe in God.  It's a holy book, and being holy doesn't mean anything to you because you don't believe in God. 
        So how should a person take this, as subject, no, as objective, no.  A book is a book, fine there is not objection there.  Experience is subjective, fine no objection there.  It's whatever. 
        But using the Bible, what I call holy to displace or manipulate or discredit God all together.  That is just offensive by all means and it's something that Christains and Athiest share. 
        Both are no better or worse than each other. 

Just because you don't believe in God doesn't make it right for you to perpetuate the circumstances of the Bible just like a Christains.  That book is for God's people.  But because you don't believe in God, then the rules don't apply.

4. gamergirl profile image86

"But that's what you think because you don't know God either."

That's what you said to me after I clearly explained the difference between subjective and objective use of Scripture.

I'm baffled as to how the connection is made from my explanation to your assumption I do not know God.  Honestly.

1. profile image0

Because we were talking about scripture, the scripture is about God called Father and His son Jesus. 

It becomes subjective or objective to those who don't know God, the Father, so because there is disagreement, I think it is best that if the Father (God) is not your God, then you just shouldn't use the Bible to defend or reject anything at all.

As you said, you have your connection to the Mother, I have mine with the Father.  If I read anything about the Mother and disagreed I would keep it to myself instead of going out and saying otherwise. 

If you did know God, then you would hold scripture as neither subjective or objective, there is no debate.  But a person can spend their entire lifetime studying scripture as its been said over and over again in this forum, and still never understand it.

5. gamergirl profile image86

Sandra - you've missed the core point of my words completely and moved into totally misunderstanding the concepts I've presented.  In the process, I'm feeling pretty insulted, so I think I'll be bowing out of the thread now.

Mark - great topic idea.  I had fun up until now.  *leaves hugs for you*

1. profile image0

God is not a concept.  Sorry if I insulted you Gamergirl.  I really mean that.  smile

For once, we completely disagree. God is exactly that.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

My pleasure, but don't leave just yet. Sandra is not actually angry at you - even though it may seem that way. smile

Only one more page to go big_smile

6. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Sandra - I am putting your last few responses down to you having a bad day rather than responding in kind. You may have noticed I tend to respond in the tone I am spoken to big_smile

In the meantime, as we near the end of my participation in this thread. Before the rules:

http://hubpages.com/u/155362_f520.jpg

And lest we be a little too one sided:

http://hubpages.com/u/155420_f520.jpg

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

We are almost there. Everybody is doing a great job keeping this thread alive big_smile

8. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 16 years ago

I thought I was being rather kind in suggesting that the Bible was not meant for everyone.  If it were than there wouldn't be so much stigma attached to it.  If it were than there wouldn't be wars associated with it.  If it were there wouldn't be any need for religion. 
    The same things happened with the Qu'ran. 
    These books in the wrong hands brings disaster. 

It's a bad curse to those who it was not meant for, and a blessing to those who it was intended for.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Sandra, I have to say I have great difficulty understanding you at times, too.  Are you saying that people who don't believe in God shouldn't read the Bible?

I thought missionaries used the Bible to convert people - are you saying they shouldn't do that, because the Bible isn't for non-believers?  Or are you saying that, if someone has been shown the Bible and still doesn't believe, they should be barred from reading it ever again?

1. Silent Assassin profile image59
        Silent Assassinposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I believe she was saying that without proper guidance, there is a possibility gods message being peverted by a false prophet.

9. gamergirl profile image86

Bad PEOPLE bring disaster.

Making assumptions about others around you brings social disaster.

That's all I'm going to say, because I'm pretty furious at some of the comments right now, which is messed up since the thread has been going so well.

10. Peter M. Lopez profile image72

We are so close, and it has gone so well (for the most part).  Apologies to everyone from everyone.  Now, let's push on, I think we are just a few posts short.

11. profile image0

You brought it on yourself gamergirl.  I gave an opinion just like everyone else.  Yes, bad people bring disaster with or without the Bible.  I saw your last post that you deleted.  You can be furious with me and my comments, but it was only yourself that that can bring on your frustrations, not mine.

12. Mark Knowles profile image58

Of course, now I have to work out what the rules are.

Fortunately - there is only one. big_smile

13. gamergirl profile image86

*chews on Mark's smilie to keep from responding in a manner which is unbecoming of what good and nice things she is capable of*

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

While we are waiting for the rules to materialize, we can listen to a good music big_smile
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgpRzFUd4io

15. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Thanks Assassin smile

I think I read something along those lines in Quo Vadis, but I thought there might me some deeper meaning to it...

16. Mark Knowles profile image58

gamergirl - good for you big_smile

Silent assasin:

http://www.atheists.org/christianity/fish.html

Misha - that is a good music.

Peter - good discussion. smile

Sandra - On this, I think you are wrong. Books are for everyone. Didn't you read Fahrenheit 451? I have learned much from the bible - including the fact that there is no god.

Before the rules, it would seem that there is a lot of confusion and deliberate misinformation as to what constitutes atheism. So I will leave this quote from the Encyclopedia Brittanica:

Atheism:

in general, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. As such, it is usually distinguished from theism, which affirms the reality of the divine and often seeks to demonstrate its existence. Atheism is also distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question whether there is a god or not, professing to find the questions unanswered or unanswerable.

The dialectic of the argument between forms of belief and unbelief raises questions concerning the most perspicuous delineation, or characterization, of atheism, agnosticism, and theism. It is necessary not only to probe the warrant for atheism but also carefully to consider what is the most adequate definition of atheism. This article will start with what have been some widely accepted, but still in various ways mistaken or misleading, definitions of atheism and move to more adequate formulations that better capture the full range of atheist thought and more clearly separate unbelief from belief and atheism from agnosticism. In the course of this delineation the section also will consider key arguments for and against atheism.

Atheism as rejection of religious beliefs

A central, common core of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam is the affirmation of the reality of one, and only one, God. Adherents of these faiths believe that there is a God who created the universe out of nothing and who has absolute sovereignty over all his creation; this includes, of course, human beings—who are not only utterly dependent on this creative power but also sinful and who, or so the faithful must believe, can only make adequate sense of their lives by accepting, without question, God's ordinances for them. The varieties of atheism are numerous, but all atheists reject such a set of beliefs.

Atheism, however, casts a wider net and rejects all belief in “spiritual beings,” and to the extent that belief in spiritual beings is definitive of what it means for a system to be religious, atheism rejects religion. So atheism is not only a rejection of the central conceptions of Judeo-Christianity and Islam, it is, as well, a rejection of the religious beliefs of such African religions as that of the Dinka and the Nuer, of the anthropomorphic gods of classical Greece and Rome, and of the transcendental conceptions of Hinduism and Buddhism. Generally atheism is a denial of God or of the gods, and if religion is defined in terms of belief in spiritual beings, then atheism is the rejection of all religious belief.

It is necessary, however, if a tolerably adequate understanding of atheism is to be achieved, to give a reading to “rejection of religious belief” and to come to realize how the characterization of atheism as the denial of God or the gods is inadequate.

Atheism and theism

To say that atheism is the denial of God or the gods and that it is the opposite of theism, a system of belief that affirms the reality of God and seeks to demonstrate his existence, is inadequate in a number of ways. First, not all theologians who regard themselves as defenders of the Christian faith or of Judaism or Islam regard themselves as defenders of theism. The influential 20th-century Protestant theologian Paul Tillich, for example, regards the God of theism as an idol and refuses to construe God as a being, even a supreme being, among beings or as an infinite being above finite beings. God, for him, is “being-itself,” the ground of being and meaning. The particulars of Tillich's view are in certain ways idiosyncratic, as well as being obscure and problematic, but they have been influential; and his rejection of theism, while retaining a belief in God, is not eccentric in contemporary theology, though it may very well affront the plain believer.

Second, and more important, it is not the case that all theists seek to demonstrate or even in any way rationally to establish the existence of God. Many theists regard such a demonstration as impossible, and fideistic believers (e.g., Johann Hamann and Søren Kierkegaard) regard such a demonstration, even if it were possible, as undesirable, for in their view it would undermine faith. If it could be proved, or known for certain, that God exists, people would not be in a position to accept him as their sovereign Lord humbly on faith with all the risks that entails. There are theologians who have argued that for genuine faith to be possible God must necessarily be a hidden God, the mysterious ultimate reality, whose existence and authority must be accepted simply on faith. This fideistic view has not, of course, gone without challenge from inside the major faiths, but it is of sufficient importance to make the above characterization of atheism inadequate.

Finally, and most important, not all denials of God are denials of his existence. Believers sometimes deny God while not being at all in a state of doubt that God exists. They either willfully reject what they take to be his authority by not acting in accordance with what they take to be his will, or else they simply live their lives as if God did not exist. In this important way they deny him. Such deniers are not atheists (unless we wish, misleadingly, to call them “practical atheists”). They are not even agnostics. They do not question that God exists; they deny him in other ways. An atheist denies the existence of God. As it is frequently said, atheists believe that it is false that God exists, or that God's existence is a speculative hypothesis of an extremely low order of probability.

Yet it remains the case that such a characterization of atheism is inadequate in other ways. For one it is too narrow. There are atheists who believe that the very concept of God, at least in developed and less anthropomorphic forms of Judeo-Christianity and Islam, is so incoherent that certain central religious claims, such as “God is my creator to whom everything is owed,” are not genuine truth-claims; i.e., the claims could not be either true or false. Believers hold that such religious propositions are true, some atheists believe that they are false, and there are agnostics who cannot make up their minds whether to believe that they are true or false. (Agnostics think that the propositions are one or the other but believe that it is not possible to determine which.) But all three are mistaken, some atheists argue, for such putative truth-claims are not sufficiently intelligible to be genuine truth-claims that are either true or false. In reality there is nothing in them to be believed or disbelieved, though there is for the believer the powerful and humanly comforting illusion that there is. Such an atheism, it should be added, rooted for some conceptions of God in considerations about intelligibility and what it makes sense to say, has been strongly resisted by some pragmatists and logical empiricists.

While the above considerations about atheism and intelligibility show the second characterization of atheism to be too narrow, it is also the case that this characterization is in a way too broad. For there are fideistic believers, who quite unequivocally believe that when looked at objectively the proposition that God exists has a very low probability weight. They believe in God not because it is probable that he exists—they think it more probable that he does not—but because belief is thought by them to be necessary to make sense of human life. The second characterization of atheism does not distinguish a fideistic believer (a Blaise Pascal or a Kierkegaard) or an agnostic (a T.H. Huxley or a Leslie Stephen) from an atheist such as Baron d'Holbach or Thomas Paine. All believe that “There is a God” and “God protects humankind,” however emotionally important they may be, are speculative hypotheses of an extremely low order of probability. But this, since it does not distinguish believers from nonbelievers and does not distinguish agnostics from atheists, cannot be an adequate characterization of atheism.

It may be retorted that to avoid apriorism and dogmatic atheism the existence of God should be regarded as a hypothesis. There are no ontological (purely a priori) proofs or disproofs of God's existence. It is not reasonable to rule in advance that it makes no sense to say that God exists. What the atheist can reasonably claim is that there is no evidence that there is a God, and against that background he may very well be justified in asserting that there is no God. It has been argued, however, that it is simply dogmatic for an atheist to assert that no possible evidence could ever give one grounds for believing in God. Instead, atheists should justify their unbelief by showing (if they can) how the assertion is well-taken that there is no evidence that would warrant a belief in God. If atheism is justified, the atheist will have shown that in fact there is no adequate evidence for the belief that God exists, but it should not be part of his task to try to show that there could not be any evidence for the existence of God. If the atheist could somehow survive the death of his present body (assuming that such talk makes sense) and come, much to his surprise, to stand in the presence of God, his answer should be, “Oh! Lord, you didn't give me enough evidence!” He would have been mistaken, and realize that he had been mistaken, in his judgment that God did not exist. Still, he would not have been unjustified, in the light of the evidence available to him during his earthly life, in believing as he did. Not having any such postmortem experiences of the presence of God (assuming that he could have them), what he should say, as things stand and in the face of the evidence he actually has and is likely to be able to get, is that it is false that God exists. (Every time one legitimately asserts that a proposition is false one need not be certain that it is false. “Knowing with certainty” is not a pleonasm.) The claim is that this tentative posture is the reasonable position for the atheist to take.

An atheist who argues in this manner may also make a distinctive burden-of-proof argument. Given that God (if there is one) is by definition a very recherché reality—a reality that must be (for there to be such a reality) transcendent to the world—the burden of proof is not on the atheist to give grounds for believing that there is no reality of that order. Rather, the burden of proof is on the believer to give some evidence for God's existence; i.e., that there is such a reality. Given what God must be, if there is a God, the theist needs to present the evidence, for such a very strange reality. He needs to show that there is more in the world than is disclosed by common experience. The empirical method, and the empirical method alone, such an atheist asserts, affords a reliable method for establishing what is in fact the case. To the claim of the theist that there are in addition to varieties of empirical facts “spiritual facts” or “transcendent facts,” such as it being the case that there is a supernatural, self-existent, eternal power, the atheist can assert that such “facts” have not been shown.

It will, however, be argued by such atheists, against what they take to be dogmatic aprioristic atheists, that the atheist should be a fallibilist and remain open-minded about what the future may bring. There may, after all, be such transcendent facts, such metaphysical realities. It is not that such a fallibilistic atheist is really an agnostic who believes that he is not justified in either asserting that God exists or denying that he exists and that what he must reasonably do is suspend belief. On the contrary, such an atheist believes that he has very good grounds indeed, as things stand, for denying the existence of God. But he will, on the second conceptualization of what it is to be an atheist, not deny that things could be otherwise and that, if they were, he would be justified in believing in God or at least would no longer be justified in asserting that it is false that there is a God. Using reliable empirical techniques, proven methods for establishing matters of fact, the fallibilistic atheist has found nothing in the universe to make a belief that God exists justifiable or even, everything considered, the most rational option of the various options. He therefore draws the atheistical conclusion (also keeping in mind his burden-of-proof argument) that God does not exist. But he does not dogmatically in a priori fashion deny the existence of God. He remains a thorough and consistent fallibilist.

Comprehensive definition of atheism

Reflection on this should lead to a more adequate statement of what atheism is and indeed as well to what an agnostic or religious response to atheism should be. Instead of saying that an atheist is someone who believes that it is false or probably false that there is a God, a more adequate characterization of atheism consists in the more complex claim that to be an atheist is to be someone who rejects belief in God for the following reasons (which reason is stressed depends on how God is being conceived): for an anthropomorphic God, the atheist rejects belief in God because it is false or probably false that there is a God; for a nonanthropomorphic God (the God of Luther and Calvin, Aquinas, and Maimonides), he rejects belief in God because the concept of such a God is either meaningless, unintelligible, contradictory, incomprehensible, or incoherent; for the God portrayed by some modern or contemporary theologians or philosophers, he rejects belief in God because the concept of God in question is such that it merely masks an atheistic substance—e.g., “God” is just another name for love, or “God” is simply a symbolic term for moral ideals.

This atheism is a much more complex notion, as are its various reflective rejections. It is clear from what has been said about the concept of God in developed forms of Judeo-Christianity that the more crucial form of atheist rejection is not the assertion that it is false that there is a God but instead the rejection of belief in God because the concept of God is said not to make sense—to be in some important way incoherent or unintelligible.

Such a broader conception of atheism, of course, includes everyone who is an atheist in the narrower sense, but the converse does not obtain. Moreover, this conception of atheism does not have to say that religious claims are meaningless. The more typical and less paradoxical and tendentious claim is that utterances such as “There is an infinite, eternal creator of the universe” are incoherent and that the conception of God reflected in such a claim is unintelligible, and in that important sense the claim is inconceivable and incredible—incapable of being a rational object of belief for a philosophically and scientifically sophisticated person touched by modernity. It is this that is a central belief of many contemporary atheists. There are good empirical grounds for believing that there are no Zeus-like spiritual beings, and as this last, more ramified form of atheism avers, if there are sound grounds for believing that the nonanthropomorphic or at least radically less anthropomorphic conceptions of God are incoherent or unintelligible, the atheist has the strongest grounds for rejecting belief in God.

Atheism is a critique and a denial of the central metaphysical beliefs of systems of salvation involving a belief in God or spiritual beings, but a sophisticated atheist does not simply claim that all such cosmological claims are false but takes it that some are so problematic that, while purporting to be factual, they actually do not succeed in making a coherent factual claim. The claims, in an important sense, do not make sense, and, while believers are under the illusion that there is something intelligible to be believed in, in reality there is not. These seemingly grand cosmological claims are in reality best understood as myths or ideological claims reflecting a confused understanding of their utterers' situation.

It is not a well-taken rejoinder to atheistic critiques to say, as have some contemporary Protestant theologians, that belief in God is the worst form of atheism and idolatry, since the language of Jewish and Christian belief, including such sentences as “God exists” and “God created the world,” is not to be taken literally but symbolically and metaphorically. Christianity, as Reinhold Niebuhr, a theologian who defends such views, once put it, is “true myth.” The claims of religion are not, on such account, to be understood as metaphysical claims trying to convey extraordinary facts but as metaphorical and analogical claims that are not understandable in any other terms. But if something is a metaphor it must at least in principle be possible to say what it is a metaphor of. Thus metaphors cannot be understandable only in metaphorical terms. There can be no unparaphrasable metaphors or symbolic expressions though, what is something else again, a user of such expressions may not be capable on demand of supplying that paraphrase. Moreover, if the language of religion becomes simply the language of myth and religious beliefs are viewed simply as powerful and often humanly compelling myths, then they are conceptions that in reality have only an atheistic substance. The believer is making no cosmological claim that the atheist is not; it is just that his talk, including his unelucidated talk of “true myths,” is language that for many people has a more powerful emotive force.

Agnosticism has a parallel development to that of atheism. An agnostic, like an atheist, asserts either that he does not know that God exists—or, more typically, that he cannot know or have sound reasons for believing that God exists—but unlike the atheist he does not think that he is justified in saying that God does not exist or, stronger still, that God cannot exist. Similarly, while some contemporary atheists say that the concept of God in developed theism does not make sense and thus that Jewish, Christian, and Islamic beliefs must be rejected, many contemporary agnostics believe that the concept of God is radically problematic. They maintain that they are not in a position to be able to decide whether, on the one hand, the terms and concepts of such religions are so problematic that such religious beliefs do not make sense or whether, on the other, though the talk is indeed radically paradoxical and in many ways incomprehensible, such talk has sufficient coherence to make reasonable a belief in an ultimate mystery. Such an agnostic recognizes that the puzzles about God cut deeper than perplexities concerning whether it is possible to attain adequate evidence for God's existence. Rather, he sees the need to exhibit an adequate nonanthropomorphic, extralinguistic referent for “God.” (This need not commit him to the belief that there are any observations independent of theory.) Believers think that, though God is a mystery, such a referent has been secured, though what it is remains a mystery. Atheists, by contrast, believe that it has not been, and indeed some of them believe that it cannot be, secured. To talk about mystery, they maintain, is just an evasive way of talking about what is not understood. Contemporary agnostics (those agnostics who parallel the atheists characterized above) remain in doubt and are convinced that there is no rational way of resolving the doubt about whether talk in a halting fashion of God just barely secures such reference or whether it, after all, fails and that nothing religiously acceptable is referred to by “God.”

Intense religious commitment, as the history of fideism makes evident, has sometimes gone hand in hand with deep scepticism concerning man's capacity to know God. It is agreed by all parties to the dispute between belief and unbelief that religious claims are paradoxical. Furthermore, criteria for what is meaningless and what is not or for what is intelligible and what is not are deeply contested. It is perhaps fair enough to say that there are no generally accepted criteria.

Keeping these diverse considerations in mind in the arguments between belief, agnosticism, and atheism, it is crucial to ask whether there is any good reason at all to believe that there is a personal creative reality that is beyond the bounds of space and time and transcendent to the world. Is there even a sufficient understanding of such talk so that such a reality can be the object of religious commitment? (One cannot have faith in or take on faith what one does not at all understand. People must at least in some way understand what it is that they are to have faith in to be able to have faith in it. If a person is asked to trust Irglig, he cannot do so no matter how strongly he wants to take something simply on trust.)

It appears to be a brute fact that there just is that indefinitely immense collection of finite and contingent masses or conglomerations of things and processes the phrase “the universe” refers to. People can come to feel wonder, awe, and puzzlement that there is a universe at all. But that fact, or the very fact that there is a world at all, does not license the claim that there is a noncontingent reality on which the world (the sorry collection of things entire) depends. It is not even clear that such a sense of contingency gives an understanding of what such a noncontingent thing could be. Some atheists think that the reference range of “God” is so indeterminate and the concept of God so problematic that it is impossible for someone fully aware of that reasonably to believe in God; believers, by contrast, think that, though the reference range of “God” is indeterminate, it is not so indeterminate and the concept of God so problematic as to make belief irrational or incoherent. It is known, they claim, that talk of God is problematic, but it is not known, and cannot be known, whether it is so problematic as to be without a religiously appropriate sense. Agnostics, in turn, say that there is no reasonable decision procedure. It is not known and cannot be ascertained whether or not “God” secures a religiously adequate referent. What needs to be kept in mind, in reflecting on this issue, is whether a “contingent thing” is a pleonasm and “infinite reality” is without sense and whether, when people go beyond anthropomorphism (or try to go beyond it), it is possible to have a sufficient understanding of what is referred to by “God” to make faith a coherent possibility.

Finally, it will not do to take a Pascalian or Dostoyevskian turn and claim that, intellectual absurdity or not, religious belief is necessary, since without belief in God morality does not make sense and life is meaningless. That claim is false, for even if there is no purpose to life there are purposes in life—things people care about and want to do—that can remain perfectly intact even in a godless world. God or no God, immortality or no immortality, it is vile to torture people just for the fun of it, and friendship, solidarity, love, and the attainment of self-respect are human goods even in an utterly godless world. There are intellectual puzzles about how people know that these things are good, but that is doubly true for the distinctive claims of a religious ethic. The point is that these things remain desirable and that life can have a point even in the absence of God.

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

The rules of Atheism:

1. Question everything - if it doesn't make any sense, don't believe it.
    2. See rule number 1.

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image72
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I agree.

I am left with, however, this question: What if one is unable to make sense of atheism?

You read that whole article and you can't make sense of it?  Try reading it again, I thought it was crystal clear!

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the fish Mark - I had fun reading smile

And I new you'll like the music - I hope others did, too. Strangely, I just found it today, probably just for that occasion wink

But your rules did disappoint me - after 43 pages  you could have come up with something more epic big_smile I like my two rules to live by better:

1. The Goddess is always right
      2. If she is wrong - see rule number one.

Those rules saved my sanity more than a handful of times tongue

1. Inspirepub profile image71
        Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

*blessings*

Jenny

17. Silent Assassin profile image59
    Silent Assassinposted 16 years ago

I was aware that a lot of early pagan religions worshipped a woman like deity, but didn't know about fish swallowing osiris's penis lol, but its all good to know these things I suppose!
    Thanks for the info though, interesting.

18. gamergirl profile image86

Then don't believe it either!

ha.

19. Peter M. Lopez profile image72

That seems to be the logical conclusion.

...and the discussion shifts to what makes sense... big_smile

Well, that then comes down to what I do believe in......

Everyone knows what makes sense. Whether you are prepared to admit it is another question.

Does it make sense that the world was created in 6 human days?
      Does it make sense that you are continually re-incarnated until you have learned the lessons you need to learn, but are unable to have access to those previous experiences?
      Does it make sense that if you die killing the infidels there will be 72 virgins awaiting you in heaven?
      Does it make sense to genetically engineer mosquitoes to not transmit malaria when you don't understand the processes involved?
      Does it make sense to feed dead sheep to bovines?
      Does it make sense to burn some one at the stake because they hold a different belief system to you?
      Does it make sense that the USA does not have proportional representation?

I could go on, but you already know the answers.....

You seem to be asking questions that are buried in opinion;
        I think that would depend on how a person defines themselves according to their experiences and the impact that their environment would have on their perception of the world around them.

2. Misha profile image63

Actually I think my answer to this will be different from yours smile
        One doesn't have to know what is inside black box in order to use it. Knowing how it responds to various signals is enough for that. A car or dvd player or even computer are perfect examples on consumer level. The same logic applies on designer level, too.

I agree. One does not have to understand the way a mosquito interacts with the rest of the ecosystem to be able to genetically alter them so they do not  transmit malaria. One can do it when one has the necessary technical skills.

But the question is - Does it make sense to do so when one has no idea of the possible ramifications on the rest of the ecosystem?

No one knows why mosquitoes are "created/evolved" to transmit malaria.

To use your example. Does it make sense to take your car to pieces to adjust it to run on water when you have no idea how an internal combustion engine works? Or change the brake discs from titanium to wood without knowing the thermodynamic/stress properties of the two materials.

Just because you can do it, doesn't necessarily mean you should do it. (Michael Chrighton)

3. Misha profile image63

After some musing over, this one also seems to be not that straight forward. What if our lesson is to learn to believe under such circumstances? Within the length of a single life?

Thats a good question / answer mate.

2. SparklingJewel profile image67
          SparklingJewelposted 16 years agoin reply to this

The additional to the correct answer Misha gave and to Marks question here is that you do get access to those experiences as you learn to live within the natural order of the universe...there are "laws" that govern the universe whether you believe in them or not and whether you think they are correct, or like them or not.

Once a soul gets to a certain awareness of living within the natural order, these experiences become apparent, but only with study and resolve and what amounts to a soul's ability to follow them...the free will power  that we have as individuals, does not amount to freedom after a certain point of refusing to live by natural order laws. The purpose of life, as a soul learns/evolves, is to acquire True freedom from bondage under the not-self and that of others, as well.

Actually, I think it's mistaken to assert that we don't have access to those previous experiences - we may not have CONSCIOUS access with our left-brain, verbal ego-self, but we have long put that part of ourselves on a pedestal and worshipped it as our only self and the arbiter of all truth.

Most of our wisdom, however, resides in our non-verbal, non-rational intelligence, and our intellect cannot know what raw materials that intelligence is working with to create the intuitions and impulses with which it tries to guide the arrogant and wayward ego-mind.

Jenny

3. profile image0
          1. Misha profile image63

My Goddess, you lost me again smile

I love your voice (when it manages to overcome guitars tongue), but what it has to do with my question?

And no, I can't understand the text of songs in English without lyrics supplied sad

1. profile image0

nothing, I just posted it passing time.  smile

20. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I'd like to make an observation.

To me, the mark of a true Christian - one whose belief I can respect, if not agree with - is that they are so confident in their faith, they're not afraid to debate openly with believers, non-believers and those of other denominations and creeds. 

I've really enjoyed reading some of the responses from Christians of that breed on this thread.  If all Christians were like you, more agnostics/atheists would be converted - because your assurance is so complete, your stance so firm, it makes people think maybe there's something in it after all!

A Christian whose reaction to questioning is a panicky "get thee behind me, Satan" (or worse, abuse), only reveals the tenuousness of their belief.  Unfortunately as doubters, we come across so many of this type of Christian, it only makes our doubts all the stronger - if even Christians are frightened to question for fear of discovering their faith is built on sand, how shaky must the edifice be?

1. profile image0

The Gospel is a God spell.  It isn't for everyone.  Anyone can read it, but it's not for everyone.
      I really can't apologize for saying that that book is for God's people.  But if you take my statement as me saying that you are not one of God's people, that is something that I didn't decide.  It's something that a person assumes for themselves.  So the Bible will tell you to not make judgment on even yourself. 
      The Bible is a mystical and holy and special and sacred book.  To say that a person who does not believe in God what so ever, should not read the Bible is my way of saving you from the curse of the Bible.  And the Bible is a curse.  It effects everyone who reads it. 
      I can't find one fault in my statement because I believe it is much better to have not read it then to have read it and openly deny God.  This is the spiritual core of the Bible for those who believe it. 
      That's why it is for God's people. 

This hole thing came about because I said that the Bible is neither subjective or objective.  It was a humble opinion that brought about an argument and now gamergirl is mad at me, and I don't know what to say about that because I didn't intend to offend her.  But she took it that way.  And I do feel bad, but what can I do?  It's the God spell. 

What else can I say?  Some people know exactly what I mean, others will never understand what I mean. 

I said that the Bible was subjective to followers of Jesus because it represents some doubt and that doubt = faith in Jesus and I don't see anything wrong with that.  Their development of faith is their key to not knowing everything there is to know.  I give it up to them for understanding that, and I love them for it. 
      It's something that not a lot of people will understand, because it is the the God spell. 

So when a person of the Book says things about Hell, it's not them who wish that on you or anyone else. It's the God spell. 

For anyone who personally asks me if they should read the Bible, I give them a warning.  I say know yourself before you read that book.  Be established in what you believe before you read that book.  Know your God before you read that book. 

It really is not for everyone.  Anyone can read it, but it is not for everyone.

2. Silent Assassin profile image59

As much as I respect your fine evaluation regarding this issue, with the huge amount of false religions/cults around who are just as firm in their beliefs, surely their has to be some room for doubt as to the validity of some peoples claims.
      I think that the mark of a true christian is something that can not readily always be seen. They are simply either with god or they are not. I don't know that it is up to us to judge this, only god can.

You misunderstand what I mean by being "firm".  Yes, cult followers proclaim their beliefs firmly and proudly. They can sound very convincing UNTIL you dare to ask a question.  Then they will either bluster, or pretend to answer but talk gobbledygook (what I call a "politician's answer"), refuse to answer altogether, or throw accusations at you. Anything rather than have an honest debate.

So my definition of firmness relates to how they behave when their beliefs are challenged. It's often the least genuine ones that sound confident when they're holding forth unchallenged.

Haha ok yes I can agree with that!

21. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

What Marisa said.

We have awesome Christians in this thread.

Jenny

22. gamergirl profile image86

You know, I'm not mad because of what you think you believe.  I'm mad because you don't understand the words you are using (subjective and objective) and you don't seem to understand the things people are saying to you.  If you do, you're interpreting them horribly.

The Bible is just a freaking book.

The part where holiness and sanctity come in regarding the bible is the way that it MOVES people.  Honestly, I can read the Bible and be moved by the feeling a particular story may invoke, but not believe Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation and the Kingdom of God. 

You won't find fault in your own statement because you don't understand that which is being said to you, and you don't understand the proper use and meaning of the words you're trying to use.  I refer you to websters, where there are over a dozen definitions for you to read regarding the words around which you began your whole rude, insulting argument against me with.

The Bible is, and there are passages which basically say this in a longer fashion, for ALL to read - how else can the word of God be spread?  I mean, other than door to door faith salesmen and nutso protestors at soldier's funerals and the like.

So basically, Sandra, you in a few posts gave me this impression:

A.)  Because I've read the bible, and studied it's passages and their meanings as they are presented, I'm somehow damaging the sanctity of the holy text (in your eyes.)
    B.) I shouldn't read the bible because I don't know God.  (when really I know a Diety who defies mortal explanation, so why even try?)
    C.)  Throwing up quotes from the various translations of the bible is naughty on the part of anyone who does not follow the strict definition of what SANDRA thinks is proper.  Seems to me anyone in this thread should feel comfortable (and as a consenting adult, perfectly ALLOWED) to read the Bible, if for no other purpose than purely academic, but NO, Sandra says NO.
    D.)  You keep saying you didn't intend to offend or piss me off, but yet you specifically typed things which were insulting.  You have the power to edit, and don't have to hit send until you know that what you typed is going to read how you want it to.  Therefore, you fully intended your message to be read as-is and interpreted by your readers as-is.  As-is, your posts today on this thread have been counterproductive to the whole spirit of FOURTY ONE PAGES of other stuff.  Through FOURTY ONE pages, people were having lively conversation without really irking one another. 

Then again, I suppose that may be my bad for bringing in 15 years of intensive study on world religions and trying to be part of an adult conversation.  Whatever.

1. profile image0

Let it go.

2. Inspirepub profile image71

I really don't read anything Sandy said as being deliberately insulting, Gamergirl. She can definitely be hard to understand sometimes, because she tries to put her non-verbal feelings about spiritual matters into the completely inadequate vehicle that is words, and her choices of words are sometimes wildly confusing to the reader as a result.

However, I have never seen her make a direct criticism of another human being, intentionally.

She has said things which upset people, but I honestly believe it was never her intention to insult anyone, and I don't think would she have been able to guess by rereading her own post that you would feel the way you do.

She knows what her intention was, you see, and read through her intention there was nothing critical or insulting in the words.

The words, however, are not a good medium for conveying her intention.

I can see how you could interpret her words as belittling or criticising your own spirituality, and as such, feel insulted.

But I can quite confidently say that I expect Sandy has nothing but respect and goodwill towards you and your beliefs, and this is a misunderstanding happening here.

Jenny

1. Misha profile image63

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6879/bowdowntj8.gif

23. Jeromeo profile image61
    Jeromeoposted 16 years ago

Hello Mark,

I see the gangs all here. This is a facinating thread if for no other reason than the shear volume of comments.  770 something last time I counted.  I'd like to thank you for the official welcome you extended me.

I also want to thank you for the tutoring on my editing skills.  I will get on top of that, and take my time as you say.  I must admit to being suprised that you took the time to notice my comment; since I agreed with your position that atheism rules.

But that just goes to show you, you never know.  Now the reference to you loving your wife and family was not meant as an insult.  The point I was trying to make is: you say you love but you deny that love exists.  To me, and this is just my opinion; if you say you love but you deny God-Jehovah exists, then that's like saying, I like my Ice Cream boiled with vineger on top.

It's a contradictory statement.  I know, I know, people do not have to believe in God to love.  Ok have it your way.  But I know what I know, there is no reincarnation... there is only resurrection paid for by Christ's sacrifice.

Now here's the part you are going to really like, in a short while I will be able to prove that God does exist.  You will never be able to prove he doesn't.  I want to see if you are Man enough to admit you're wrong when that day comes.

The fall of Babylon the great is prophesied in revelations, the oldest reference book I know of, that handles this subject. 

The Bible also tells me that after the great flood there were only eight people left.  So every body on this planet at this time is a decendant of that family of Noah's, which means we are all brothers and sisters.

So when Babylon the great falls I want you to know I'l be here for you, brother.   I know you read the Bible so if you look in Revelation you will see the reference to the fall of Babylon the great. 

When you finish grading my comment let me know how I did. 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Jeromeo

P.S.  I really like the part about you feeling sorry for me; it shows you have compassion.

My pleasure smile

As far as editing, it is very easy to not say what you are trying to say when you are trying to do it quickly. As this is written and we are all on different time zones, there is no rush, so better to take your time, read what you have written and make sure it makes sense before hitting "Submit."

I learned this myself big_smile

And you seem to have edited this one just fine. Clear, concise and to the point.

Of course, I disagree, and don't need to point out the obvious contradictions.

If things pan out the way you say they will, I will be more than happy to admit I was wrong.

In the meantime, I am also open to the spaghetti monster and all the other god-like possibilities. If either the burning chariot arrives (my personal preference) or Zeus comes and has a word in my ear or whatever, I will cheerfully sign up and join whichever one turns out to be true.

And if you are interested, around 1200BC, the Mayans predicted the fall as being December 22, 2012, So, not long to wait.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar

The Hopi Indians have a similar prophecy:

http://www.dreamscape.com/morgana/pan.htm

The Great Pyramid also has similar prophecies hidden in the passageways:

http://www.templeofsolomon.org/Pyramids … bolism.htm

So, I am afraid the bible was not the first to make these type of predictions. big_smile

But it's nice to know that if I am wrong, you will be there to guide me. For which I thank you - even though I am not going to need it smile

... and that's the big difference between atheists and believers. 

Atheists will say "I don't believe, but show me the proof, and I will happily change my mind"

Believers say, "I don't care how much proof you show me, I will never change my mind"

Which one is the more intelligent and mature?

1. Thom Carnes profile image60
          Thom Carnesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Which one, indeed?

Marisa, you have put your elegant finger on one of the central pivots of this entire debate.

And your final question is surely superfluous: it answers itself.

24. profile image0

Thanks for understanding me Jenny.  hearts and hugs.

25. gamergirl profile image86

I adore you, Jenny, but that's completely the opposite of how I feel right now.  It's been a rare thing lately that I read something aimed my way that makes both my eyebrows raise and my blood bubble.  The comments Sandra made, and the fact that nothing I said to her has been addressed with anything less than riddles or blatantly false assumptions, or tossed out the window completely, really - really - REALLY irk me. 

I'm trying very hard to address the specific points that I am taking issue with and not just degrade into cursing in my own frustration.  This frustration is being caused by the responses I'm receiving to what began as a perfectly civil conversation and has since left me with a bitter taste in my mouth and angry at someone I laughed along side with previously, which only makes it worse in my view.

Just.. whatever.  I'm so close to breaking my own rules for the forum section here that I'm just giving up.  Whatever.  I'll be hubbing, guys.

26. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I hope that Gamergirl and Sandra can call a truce!   

I agree, Jenny, that perhaps Gamergirl has been a little over-sensitve. But I also have to agree that Sandra talks in riddles.  It may well be because she is trying to explain esoteric concepts for which words are inadequate, but it does leave the way wide open for people to misinterpret and therefore they can't be blamed for taking offence.

Sandra, your Hubs are not incoherent, so I know you are capable of making sense.  Could I plead that you read and edit your posts with the same care you give to your Hubs, to give us mere mortals some chance to follow your arguments?

1. gamergirl profile image86
      gamergirlposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe I am being oversensitive.  I'm being flat out told that I don't know God, my statements twisted or ignored, and basically even though I'm the one insulted here everyone's consoling Sandra, probably because big bad annoyed and insulted gamergirl let her fingers fly again.

Whatver the case may be, this is how I've been made to feel, and to be honest I'm aggravated that it happened in Mark's Epic Thread of Awesome.  If I could split the topics, I would.  Eh, hindsight.

I will not be posting in Mark's thread of beauty again - I said I was out of it earlier, but honestly there is nothing left for me to say.

27. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I would ask you ladies to please stop right here.

Sandy,
    I understand you want to relay the message - but it will not get through right here and now. When you try to push it, you get resistance.

Charlotte,
    I understand that you feel insulted, and I see when and how, but apologies where given already two pages ago - please take your time and chill down.

Thank you both for understanding smile

28. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

I'm impressed at the energy some of you are showing here - I'd need several pots of beer to get me through half as much writing.

But on the subject of "knowing" god -

There's a wonderful passage in the Bhagavad Gita where Arjuna insists on seeing Krisna as he really is and not in his benign 'human' form. Krisna eventually agrees and manifests himself fully. I won't even attempt to paraphrase the poet's description, but let's say it's a lot more than Arjuna had bargained for. Yet through it all, it is merely the imagination and imagery of a great poet that we get to see, and what else could it be?

Any god that can be conceived by the human imagination is subject to that imagination and therefore, in a sense, subhuman. Any god that can not be conceived by the human imagination is by definition unknowable. I don't doubt that some people have had mystical (inexplicable) experiences that convince them of the existence of god. They could be mistaken.

It's been a good thread smile

29. Inspirepub profile image71

We have now surpassed the HubLove thread, and given that lots of those posts were one-word posts - "congrats", "awesome", etc - we definitely have more substance.

Is there another, previous epic thread to inspire us to push on for greater heights?

Has the Great Mystery of the Atheism Rules now been fully revealed?

Or will the natural momentum of the discussion carry it forth to the natural flowering of its full expression?

And will Portia give up her career for the One Man She Truly Loves?

Tune in for the next fun-filled instalment on WHUB at the same time tomorrow ...

Jenny

30. Thom Carnes profile image60
    Thom Carnesposted 16 years ago

Well done, Mark!

Despite all the contradictions, ambiguities, misconceptions, misinterpretations, personal insults, fallings-out, makings-up, emotive rhetoric, metaphysical mumbo-jumbo, enmitiies exposed, friendships formed and (once in a while) some fine examples of actual *thinking* - you got us there in the end!

Surely some form of secular canonisation must be imminent.....

And, more to the point perhaps - What now?

hehe. It doesn't seem to be over just yet. Stay tuned..........

31. profile image53
    Tom Hposted 16 years ago

Jenny asked me to reconcil 1Sam. 19:9.
    1Sam. 19:9 reads "And an evil spirit from the Lord was upon Saul, as he sat in his house with his javelin in his hand: and David played with his hand." KJV

No matter how I slice this, my answer is going to ruffle some feathers. I know this because years ago I struggled with this and a few other issues.

The great Protestant Reformer Martin Luther said: "Even the devil is God's devil"
    I have to agree with Luther on this point, all through the Scriptures there are instances where we see God’s hand in everything even Satan’s evil intentions.
    In the first 3 chapters of Job we see Satan and God talking about Job. God gives Satan permission to do his worst to Job, with the exception of taking his life.
    That story shows God’s sovereignty through everything.
    Many either accuse God of being unfair; others rationalize this story away, by spiritualizing the story, or even claiming that the story isn’t really Scripture.
    But as I said, this is pattern that we see right through Scripture.
    Whether it is Pharaoh in the story of the Exodus, King Saul, or the apostle Paul,
    Satan is a tool God’s mighty hands.
    Yes the evil spirit was sent by God, yet God is not the author of evil, man is still held responsible for their own sin.
    Roman 8:28 reveals one of the main reasons why God has His hands in everything.
    “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God and are called according to his purpose.”
    “All things” mean all things, not just good things that are pleasant.

In Romans 9:17-18 it reads “For the Scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
    Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.” KJV
    In the very next set of verses, it says some things that sound very much like some of the accusations that I have heard before, when talking about God’s sovereignty.
    “Though wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
    Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast though made me thus?
    Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?” KJV

As I conclude this particular post, as I said before I know this will ruffle some feathers. It will probably even give some atheist some ammunition against the God of the Bible.
    However, that can not be my concern. If the Bible is what it claims to be (the Word of God) then obviously God is big enough to defend himself, in His own time and His own way. All I can do is try to be obedient to what He has revealed to me and leave the rest to Him.
    I pray this falls on fertile soil.

Remember former things of old, For I am Mighty, and there is none else, God--and there is none like Me. Declaring from the beginning the latter end, And from of old that which hath not been done, Saying, `My counsel doth stand, And all My delight I do.' Calling from the east a ravenous bird, From a far land the man of My counsel, Yea, I have spoken, yea, I bring it in, I have formed it , yea, I do it. Isaiah 46:9-11.

32. Inspirepub profile image71

But Mark, the Mayans must be wrong, because Jesus said the end of days would come within the lifetime of the people listening to him speak.

Jesus is infallible and the Bible is the Word of God, so the end of days must have occurred when Jesus said it would.

Which means that all this that is happening now is part of the 1000 years when Jesus rules the Earth.

It's just a little tricky to pick him out of the crowd, but that doesn't matter, because the mere fact that we are here means we haven't gone to Hell. We're OK.

Perhaps we could take turns guessing who is really Jesus in disguise. Who is actually ruling the Earth right now?

My vote goes to the Dalai Lama.

Jenny

1. SparklingJewel profile image67

Jesus is within you and everyone as much as each allows...the Christ aspect is in everyone as much as each allows. Jesus was the way shower of how each of us could become who he had become, the Christ. We are all the Christ, becoming. The anti-christ is in each of us as much as we allow it to be...our not-self, our human ego run amuk.

When we give ourselves to Jesus, when we accept him as the wayshower, he guides us to our own personal Christhood.

The churches have twisted it all out of wack saying he was the only son of God. He was the only one that had made it as far along the Path back to God as he did, but we are to follow his footsteps, not worship him as a god. But honor him as having accomplished the ultimate goal...that each of us can do as well. And yes, praying to him/communing  with him is the ultimate one to ask for intercession because he accomplished the ultimate in a physical life (he overcame the "world") and resurrected.

And it has been said that he lived another 80 years in India after his resurrection in his ascended body...a lighter body, a body of more light (faster spinning atoms, etc...)

What is important is the concept of the Christ Mind that we all can have and build/create.

33. Mark Knowles profile image58

Jenny, it's all so confusing, I think I will stick with my atheism. That way I don't have to worry big_smile

Que sera,sera.

And God-damn, but you are good at explaining things. smile

It sure is easier to pick the anti-christ out from the crowd.

34. WeddingConsultant profile image67
    WeddingConsultantposted 16 years ago

The anticipation is building, Mark.  What's the next big thing on this thread?

I'm thinking by the time we're done with this thread, everyone will have sore fingers and we will have at least touched on every imaginable topic!

35. WeddingConsultant profile image67

Oh and fyi, you're 14 away from having 2000 posts!  That's got to be another hubpages milestone we will reach on this thread...

Unless I stop at 1999 big_smile

Is that possible?

Can you (or anyone else) *stop* a thread?

36. WeddingConsultant profile image67

haha I like it.

37. profile image0

I like Jeromeo's approach to what the Devil is= just a system.  It's not human etc.   
    As for the end of days, I think it still is in the end.  I mean, everyday is closer to the end.  So even though the apostles dies, the message is still being preached therefor, Jesus lives on. 

Gamergirl, I was wrong about subjective and objective.  I thought about it some more last night, and see your point.  I am with Mark and you that it is objective, open for debate.  However I still think it is a curse and not meant for all people because it draws on yourself and either makes us combative or otherwise, it does something to every reader who examines the properties of the book either spiritually, emotionally, morally, what have you.  So I am sorry, and I really didn't mean to offend you. 

As for Jesus being the only way to salvation.  The only reason I think it is accurate is because I believe that the word Jesus actually means life and death.  Like Jesus is another word for death,and spiritually, I believe he will take you wherever you heart desire, so believing in God spiritually in your own way is important and believing he is going to pass you through death into life with God he/she, however you imagine it to be.

I obviously could be wrong, so I don't know if it makes it subjective or objective.  maybe it's both, or maybe it is neither.  I don't really know.  I guess that is subjective???

38. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL ok big_smile

39. profile image0

Can anyone actually define what life is?

40. Mark Knowles profile image58

More rules as everyone seems disappointed in the two rules. smile

3. There is no god
    4. Jesus never lived
    5. No such thing as Allah
    6. The spaghetti monster is unlikely, but no less so than Jesus
    7. You are allowed to make your own mind up
    8. This is it. No extra time.
    9. All religions are automatically suspect
    10. Don't believe people who tell you you need to believe something - even more suspect.

That enough ? big_smile

And I really am happy to know that it's a beautiful garden. I do not need to believe there are fairies at the bottom.

1. profile image0

What if we did find life on another planet?  Do you think they would have a purpose?  If we found a planet that had the ability to inhabit life, do you think that life there would wonder what there purpose is?  The possibility that they wouldn't know us because we passed on.  Maybe they too would come up with some sort of God to explain their existence, maybe someone would pass on a book as well? 

Your right there is not God.  It's an expression.  I wonder if you actually believe in evolution?  Your my prime suspect. LOL.  big_smile

So what if we find life on another planet? What difference would that make? Why does life have to have a purpose? Can't it just be?  Maybe they would come up with a book. And maybe it would be as political as the one we have been discussing. Who knows?

I don't think, "believe," is the right word. Evolution, as a theory, makes the most sense to me based on what I have read, seen and experienced. I believe that is what happened, but I am open to dissuasion if some one comes up with a better idea and backs it up with some evidence.

It doesn't explain how things started, but I have a feeling that is just a matter of building a big enough laboratory. (See Douglas Adams' works.)

1. profile image0

The only reason I can think of for life having to have a purpose is because I don't want to be an accident.  I think it would suck really bad to have to live here in "sh*t", and then that is all.

So spending my hole life being ruled by government, or nature or whatever and have no say to what I want my life to actually be like makes me hate everything.  It means I have no control over myself.  Sounds ironic huh?

Sounds illogical, as some would say, you can do anything you want to, but it's lie, I can't do anything I want to because it goes against almost everything and it's not possible. 

Like I wanna get some wings and fly into space and check it out for myself and just be free to do whatever I want to.

But even with the ability to fly into space on a ship, I wont get to do it either because there is no way in hell I would ever come up with 4 billion or million dollars to go, or because I lack the intellectual understanding of math and physics etc. 

So it leads me to believe that finding God is the purpose for some reason. 

I honestly don't care how things started.  I am already here, I had no choice in the matter, darn my mom and pop.  But I care about what comes next because to die is about the only thing I am afraid to do. And imagining something better (god) gives my life meaning.  It may not happen I know, but I don't see any harm in it.  Organized religions, I have a problem with because that too tries to define what I should think.  Its like taking away my last freedom, or only freedom.

It makes me weak I guess.  But honestly Mark, is there something wrong with this, for myself?

So that question about needing God to love...I do need God to love because without God I would think that people are just naturally nasty and hate them, with God, it's my understanding that no one know really what they do and I can't hate someone for doing what they feel is right, or just not knowing it's an impossible circumstance to life the way I see that gives me a genuine love for all things because it's not anyones fault.

Sandra - that's a heart-felt statement if ever there was.

I told you before that you seem to be angry at god, or the bible, or the church. You said you wanted to burn the bible. Burning books is not the answer I feel. Books are just books.

You are not alone - everyone feels this way at some time or another. Me too. I have, on occasion, wished I believed in god, in the hope that it would give some solace. And for some, it does. I am sure Peter will tell you that better than I.

But, to a large extent, this is what the christian religion thrives on. The promise of something better in the next life. I personally do not believe that is the case. But others do, and it seems to give them some comfort in this life. To me - that's a waste, and an inability to accept things the way they are. This is it, make the most of it smile

I am sorry you are in so much pain, but I don't think there is anything *wrong* with you. This is normal. You are supposed to feel this way when things happen that make you feel this way. Nothing wrong with that.

But - You are not completely ruled by the government, or the church, or nature. You can choose something else. But only you can make that choice. And sometime it means a fight, or an argument, or a clash with someone who cannot see what you are going through.

No matter. Be yourself. If you need to believe in god to be able to feel love, then believe in god. Not a problem. But, you don't have to love everything, or everyone.

Find your own way. Be yourself. No one can tell you how to do that. Not me, not the church, not any religion. Sometimes it all doesn't make sense. But it is. big_smile And maybe there's no sense to it. If that doesn't make sense and you don't want to continue this discussion in public, please PM me and I will do my best to help.

2. Inspirepub profile image71

I think this is the source of your angst, Sandra.

Nobody is in control of the circumstances of life (although we like to have our rituals and talismans, theist and atheist alike, that give us the comforting illusion of control).

And yet everybody is in control of the quality of their life. I think Viktor Frankl was one of the first to put this on paper using modern examples from his time in Nazi concentration camps.

All suffering derives from resisting what is.

Pain (both physical and emotional) is unavoidable, but suffering is optional.

You hatred reaction is optional.

You use the notion of God to help you let go of that reaction, but you could use other things, and spiritually-aware or personally-developed atheists DO use other things, to help trigger a release of the suffering reaction.

The quality if your life can turn on a dime with a simple shift in perspective - which is the definition of "miracle" in a Course In Miracles, and that shift in perspective is equated in that book with redemption/salvation and a return to grace. It's a very deep book, and says everything Echardt Toller says, but says it while mapping it on to Christian symbolism.

Jenny

2. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, never used this feature before.
      I was reffering to rule 4, to refresh your memory.

1. mohitmisra profile image61
        mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

7. You are allowed to make your own mind up   lol  lol  lol lol

1. aka-dj profile image64

That's different to saying He never lived!!
          If He lived, He lived! You can't choose to make up your own mind.
          You can choose to say "I don't believe", but NOT say "He did not live.

Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OK - What proof do you have that Jesus lived?

http://www.infidels.org/library/histori … _live.html

Just as you have made your choice to not believe
              I have made mine to believe.
              You find "evidence" to support that belief, so do I.
              To say someone never lived is not the same as choosing to not believe!

PS, I noticed the writer of your link article wrote it ca. 1922.
              Bit outdated don't you think? hmm

http://www.leaderu.com/truth/1truth22.html

Hmmm, yet you say my choice is ignorant and arrogant?

How very christian of you........

1. Ben Bush profile image60
                  Ben Bushposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mark, the date isn't that important. Time doesn't change Truth, though it may have something to do with particular information available at a particular time.

With that said, your linked article has a few shortcomings. My response, though, is in no way, exhaustive.

First, the writer's knowledge of the NT seems to be lacking. His comments about the statements or lack thereof of the NT writers regarding certain topics doesn't correspond with the content of the NT.

Also, certain conclusions seem to be arrived at with no other possibilities considered. For example, the Gospel accounts are deemed to be at variance with one another because they contain acts not included in one or all of the other accounts of Christ's life. If they were exactly the same, what conjecture would follow then? What would be the need to have various accounts written exactly the same? Would the charge of collusion then be leveled at the writers? Is it possible that the eyewitness accounts are all accurate, even though they do not contain the exact same acts? Is it possible that they are complimentary instead of contradictory?

And as far as the supposed contradictory accounts of Jesus cleansing the temple, is it possible that Jesus cleansed the temple on two occasions instead of just the one?

As far as the time of the writing of the Gospel accounts and Epistles of the other writers, there is much historical information dating back to the first and second century dealing with the existence of the Scriptures in different languages and all in agreement with one another. This information also deals with the existence of spurious accounts and innacurate copies of the Scripture available early on in the history of this sect of Judaism.

Furthermore, this information is not new scholarship, but has been available to scholars for centuries. It has also been rejected by many, especially the ones mentioned in the article, not the least of which is Westcott. They have chosen the other vein of scholarship and its principles which have existed since the earliest Scriptures were extant and which the Epistles themselves contain reference to.

Finally, the portrayal of Rome as "Civilized" is a bit incredible. History has proven that Rome was as civilized as their enemies allowed them to be. In other words, if you submitted yourselves to Rome, you were allowed to exist in peace. If you did not submit, Rome would crush you to the extent necessary to achieve subordination. The Jews were well aquainted with the iron fisted rule of Rome. In fact, the Jews were known as a rebellious lot and were in constant need of the brutality of Roman intervention. That's why the first area of interrogation of Jesus by Pilate dealt with the issue of Jesus being a King. It was the most important issue to the Roman authority.

That's all for now.smile

2. mohitmisra profile image61
            mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

To speak the truth requires courage -simply I do not know.
            In India we call it Gyani or someone who was ignorant about God before  and has now gained God  knowledge. smile Awakened and evolved -you cannot force someone -him or her to be ,their time will come smile

lol

Thank you.

Now - why is it ignorant and arrogant to come to these conclusions?

See rule no 7.

If I say to you - "The world was created by the spaghetti monster, and the positive proof for this is that fact that there is spaghetti. Spaghetti is so wonderful - it must have been created by the spaghetti monster."

And you come to the conclusion that I am wrong, and say so. Does that make you ignorant and arrogant?

The life of Jesus does not hinge on you or I saying He did.
          The spaghetti monster only has you as it's evidence.
          Slightly different kettle of fish!

41. profile image0

Thanks Mark, you actually make perfect sense.  smile

I am angry at something.  I am angry at death.  I don't know how to deal with it.  All I know is that I am getting older, I know that my family and friends are going to start dropping dead around me, and eventually it will be my turn. 

I am angry because of the unexplainable experience that happened to me and all I could make of it is that it was God.  So I am angry that I feel all messed up in the head.  I am angry at the churches because they keep telling me it's Satan, and if that is so, then what did I do? Or why would they say something like that? 

I am angry at the church because now that I have read the Bible, I feel like not believing it is going to send me to Hell.  I don't know if it is true or not, like how you try to believe in God and can't, I try to not believe in God and I can't.  It so frustrating. 

I don't know why an atheist can make me feel better and a person who says they believe that God is Love, can not. 

I realize that I am not alone, but it's lonely to stand apart from the rest and frustrating to not have a place to fit in.  Not just spiritually but in other arenas as well.  I think the world doesn't like deviation.  It's troublesome to me, so I am angry at that as well.

Looks like I got a lot of issue.  LOL.  I guess then the root of my troubles is Acceptance, Death, and God.  Well, and that I can't get my kid potty trained LoL.  smile

Mostly I am angry that I got sucked in, and part of me was taken away and I want me back.  I want to erase the hole mess and I want out, but I don't know how. 

Show me how Mark.

Sandra, I don't know what your terrible experience was, but how long ago was it?   After a trauma, whatever the cause, it's normal to go through a grieving process.  There are several phases of grief - denial, anger, sadness - before you can get to acceptance.  Sounds like you are stuck in the "anger" phase, or perhaps it's still too new and that's just where you are right now.

You can't undo what's been done, so there's no point wishing for that.  But you CAN pick yourself up and make a new life from today.  When we're young and something goes wrong, we all make the mistake of thinking it's too late and we can't pick ourselves up again.  But look at me - my first marriage fell apart when I was nearly 40, and I thought it was the end - and now I have a wonderful life with a gorgeous man, and I'm very happy.

I don't know what church you're a member of, but perhaps you should try going somewhere else.   Some Christian churches preach eternal hell and damnation if you sin, whereas others preach that you can be forgiven if you truly repent - which, for my money, sounds much more Christian!

I'm sure Peter Lopez would be in that category - if he's around maybe he'll drop in with some words for you (hint, hint?).

If belief in a God, Christian or not, helps you through this crisis, then this isn't the time to be questioning it.  On the other hand, if the particular brand of belief that's being shoved down your throat is damaging or depressing you, it's time to walk away and find something else.

1. profile image0

I appreciate your compassion, but I am not Christain.  I renounced my faith in christianity about a month after being baptized. 

I am gnostic.  I just don't like to say I am because I don't want it to be taken as a religion, when I it's not.  wink  If Jenny can remember back to a previous thread,  I said, don't give it a name otherwise it is able to be propagated and exploited.  wink

As for the trauma...yeah it's only been a few months+ since it happened.  It's strange to call it trauma because nothing touched me or physically hurt me.  No one left me, I am still married, etc. 

I just got a visit from what is called the Spirit, or in other words "      "   and seeing "     " is enough to mess with anyones head.  smile
        What "     " said to me really messed me up.  Not because it said anything bad, but because it told me my punishment as well as other things. 

So, I know I can't change anything cause it is done.  But I haven't been the same since.  It is like I died that day, but here I am.  I am different but I remember who I was and I loved myself,  so I don't know who I am really anymore.  If that makes sense without sounding like I am a couple eggs short of a dozen.  LOL. 

smile

I know this feeling, Sandy. I have felt the same.

I also felt as though my level of understanding, while good in some ways, made me inhuman in other ways - too much perspective on human suffering being an illusion, and suddenly you can't empathise any more. It gets a bit lonely.

It is difficult to learn how to be in this world but not of it.

It is difficult to feel a sense of belonging when the people around you are preoccupied with the oddest things.

It is difficult to reconcile that expansive sense of power with an inability to pay the bills this month, or to get the toddler potty-trained, or to stop the teenager from cutting herself.

The truth is that it IS easier to walk through life blind and unaware. It's full of sorrow and angst, but it's easy because it is consistent.

It IS harder to know one's True Self, the hugely powerful and expansive Divine Self, because the contrast between that and ordinary perception can be painful.

Give yourself time to integrate.

You will come to feel the same bemused love for your human self that you can feel for others when you invoke "God Is Love".

It just takes practice.

And in the meanwhile, several of us are holding that "love field" wide open for you, until you get the hang of doing it for yourself.

*hugs*

Jenny

I like what you wrote there, despite our difference of opinion the other day, that was a good display of empathy. Good show.

2. profile image0

Yes, it is exactly like that.  Thank you.  Mark said there would be a place for me.  You really are of God Jenny. I know it.  Big heart and hugs. 
            Blessings to all of you, Misha, Knowyourself, Silent Assasin, Mark, Peter, Thom (where has he been?) Jeromeo etc.  You guys are helpful and you make sense in a senseless world.

2. Jeromeo profile image61
      Jeromeoposted 16 years agoin reply to this

First Sandy, it hurts me to my heart, to see you in pain, because of something I might have, said to you, I deeply apologise for that.  When I encouraged you to persue your evangelistic persuits, I meant it.

My fault was not being upfront enough to just tell you that you needed to join others, who have the same qualities you have; these qualities are: a command of Bible scripture, a loving heart and kind dispositon, these are qualities that will allow you to persuade others of the need for them to accept God through jesus Christ. 

I did not mean for you to feel so alone and again, I will openly apologize for that; if I in any way caused you emotional distress.

What I should have made more clear was for you to open the door and let the next Jehovah's witness in that knocks,  If you give and objective listen to what they have to say you will find yourself. 

Don't just listen ask, questions they will be able to answer any questions you have about, God, Jesus, and the Bible.  While you listen and ask these questions have your Bible out and compare their answers to what you believe in and what they say, and what makes sense; form a spritual point of view.

In the mean time; there is no hell; as far as it being a place of eternal torment it does not exist. God told Adam, that- the day he violated the rule/ not to touch or eat form the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, he would surly die, He added that form dust you came and to dust you shall return.

The word Hell..is found in many Bible translations, the same verses in other Bible translations, interchange the word Grave, for the word Hell.  It can be said that during the three days Jesus was buried he ws in hell.

Eccl. 9:5,10: The living are conscious that they will die;but as for the dead, they are consious of nothing at all.  In this passage of the Bible the word Sheol is also used, another, word for Grave.

More to the point Sandy you will definately not burn in Hell.  If the burden you bear is to much for you then put it down.  That's all, there is no shame or guilt in admiting to being over-whelmed by something you don't completely understand.   

So let's go with just the basics.  You are a human being and God created you.  first by creating Adam and Eve, and then by secssion by preserving Noah and his family through the flood. YOU are also a child of God. 

God sent his only begotten Son, to die so that YOU/Mrs.Sandra Rinck; could live forever.  But God's love is not unconditional.  What I mean by this is; there are prerequisits to everlasting life.  Love God with all your heart, and all your soul, and all your mind, love you neighbor as you love your self. 

And follow in Jesus' foot steps.  This last requirement means spreading the good news that Christ died for our sins.  Not just spreading it but going house to house, door to door, to accomplich God's purpose.  This includes telephone witnessing, writing letters, and yes online witnessing.

If all atheism offers is a psycological oppertunity to accept death as part of life then that does not ease your pain.  It's like the doctor saying, "You've got Cancer, prepare to Dye."

What I'm saying is there are actulally, people who will survive the Great Tribulation, and never know the sting of death. And it is possibile for you to be one of these, but not by beliveing in atheism, or Christianity for that matter.

I will remaine constent, I am giving YOU a sign; When you see, the United Nations, destroy oganized religion, Christondom, Islamic false beliefs, and all other false religion, BHUDISM, ETC. Then you will know what I'm sharing with YOU, is the truth.

Not because I am a profit but because these things are written in the Bible for all to read and understand,  If you don't understand ask some one who does.

God's purpose is to unite Heaven and Earth in love and respect for one another.  When we worship God we do so by loving one another.

The question is why don't you believe in God?  Point for Point, if you do not believe in God because you think it's his fault little children die, then remember, God can undue anything that man can do.  Through the resurrection these little ones will be brought back in a system with less greed and disrespect for life.

How do tell an intellectual from an Atheist.  Answer: Read between the lines.

Lot's of you ask who is the anti chirst,  the answer to that is all that do not believe in God,  and worship him in spirit, under the organization that bears His name; Jehovah; look for his name as the seal of approval for answers to all spritual questions.

More about the Anti Christ can be foune at www.WatchTower.org

You can go now-or when organized religion is compeletly destroyed; God will still be there.

1. profile image0

Jeromeo,  you didn't cause me distress, it's ok.  Though something did touch a nerve.  I was with a friend whom calls himself a christian.  I said,  "you know, I have been understanding a lot of a Jahovah,  I said, their views are so different from mine or anyone else for that matter."  Then my friend said.  My mom and dad said that if a Jahovah ever knocks on your door.  Don't let them in, there evil.

So I said:  Mormons knock on doors too, so what so wrong with Jahovah?  Yet he didn't know.  When I asked him about what he believed,  ironically (LOL)  he believed in the same principals as Jahovah, as well as other people. 

Now I am realizing that biggest problem when it comes to teaching people about Jesus is to associate him with a religion.  As Peter has said a few times on this thread,  Please don't associate Jesus with Christains.  Of course my reply was, it's hard to talk about Jesus without automatically being lumped in with christain religion. 

So I think that Christains don't like Jahovah because, you too deviated from the rest.   
        As for the anti-christ.  However I say this will cause a dispute or ill feelings, but when it comes to the anti-christ.  It isn't those who don't believe in God who are the anti-christ. 
        It is those who have used his name in vein or injustly, who are the anti-christ. Because it is those people who radically, or ironically (so much irony today) have undone what Jesus came  to do.  Or in other words, exploited his principals, his teachings, and such.  Or in the church, gave false witness, denied people of their own free spirit in Jesus.  smile

In other words, giving a superficial understanding of what the Bible or Jesus has to offer.

1. profile image0

I can't go back and edit, but I meant, their views are not so different from mine or any others for that matter.  Sorry Jeromeo, if you read this and thought WTF!   My bad.  I should pay more attention to my editing as well.  smile

Jeremeo - not helping here.

And seriously, go back through the thread and name me one instance where any one asks "who is the anti-christ.?"

Guess that makes me the anti-christ. Does that make me bad person though?

1. Jeromeo profile image61

OK Mark,

WE need to know the true enemy here Mark, it is neither of us but it is an influence that we can control if we can identify it's presence. This is important because it keeps for having discord over something non of us can control, or can we.

I suggested that everyone visit the www,Watchtower.org because it has articles that explain everything that has been discussed in this thread.

Rather than saying to all the people who have joined this thread that because you don't believe the way Jehovah's Witnesses, you are the anti christ, I invite people to go to the site and read the definition, and the information that there.

The thing is God gave us all free [Will]. That included the freedom to accept and reject him if we chose to. 

I have read what you have written and can say that you a truly not a bad person.  I see you, and this is just me, as an impliment of Jehovah's love for us all,  at this point, much like Cyrus, and Nebuchadnezzar.

Your thread has allowed us all to voice our religious opinons with out fear of being undully persecuted while doing so.  And Jehovah's name has been dully noted in the conversation.

Why it was important for me to remark about being an intlllectual was a personal pass; please take no offence. I know you don't miss a thing as you monitor and in sure fairplay in this thread.

I remember in one portion of the thread after you had recited scripture, the responder remarked; that one moment you were atheist and the next a theologist, or something to that effect.

I also noticed that when Sandra, had a momentary lasp in self confidence, you did not sieze upon the moment to baptize her in the atheistic belief, but reassured her that she was sound of mind and that her interlude with insecurrity was caused by her need to reasure herself of what she wanted or needed to be.

So to me you don't sound like an atheist nor do you truly act like one,  You sound like a kind and loving father/friend who is allowing us to go to  school, by letting us tackle a subject, that will help us take a stand for what ever we believe in; for ourself, for God-Satan is also a God, or for Jehovah,  but at least we will be aware of the chose we are making, and that it was our own decision not one some one else has manipulated us into making.

Jehovah only wants those who want him, there is no burnnig hell for those who choose otherwise, but there is no everlasting life either.  so the chose for Jehovah's witnesses is simple.  Everlasting life or just this one shot at living.

Satan runs this system of things; he and his demons.  The average person would be surprised by the amount of influence and power they have over us, and how we think.

They have a great number of people believing that Jehovah's Witnesses, are evil. Why ?

Because Satan knows that once people find out the truth they will quit going to church.
          They will get out of Babylon the great.  The same remarks that Sandy made in her last comment about not being able to trust christendom; are the reasons that Jehovah will destroy it. False representation of  his will and purposes.

The religious confusion that exists today is the result of Christendom, lying and decieving the people for it's own Glory.  Remember it was the Seducees and Faracees that killed Jesus, or manipulated his death.

He challenged there mistreatment of God's chosen people and they insighted the crowd against him, the crowd was angry with Jesus because he would not lead a viloent revolution, so they chose Barabas, and this truth that Jehovah's Witnesses, speak of was opened to the world after his being abondoned by the Isrealites. 

Mark you have corected me twice, but I do not recent being correct on a subject as important as this one, and I applaud; your taking on the responsibility of monitoring the thread you really don't know how much good you've done, for the Truth.

Thanks for the oppertunity to join in and thanks for bing You .  Your, heart is as big as Your smile, and your intellectual prowess as kept this excersise peacful and respectful to all, including one of Jehovah's Witnesses. 

No insult intended, but with out knowing you have helped to fullfill; His purpose. Jehovah God was in your heart long before I got here.  Jesus said in matthew when speaking to his deciples, this [Good News] of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth, and then the end, will come.

The kingdom spoken of; is Jehovah's rightous governmental rule; under Christ Jesus.  The end spoken of; is the end of this wicked system of things.  When the UN, destroys false religion that will be the begining of the great tribulation, and the conclusion of this system of things.

You are all my brothers and sisters I am obligated; if I want everlasting llife, and I do, to tell you these things. sorry I was late to the discussion, but I thank you all for your courtresy and politeness.

Thanks again Mark.

Roland J. Parker=Jeromeo

1. profile image0

Another question Jeromeo...if destroying the system of satans rule is to tear down organized religion, then wouldn't that also apply to Jahovah's wittness organizations as well?  My thoughts are perhaps, even Satan has gotten into Jahovah's as well by building yet another system that goes againts the will of Jesus?
            Or is it the the watch tower will end it's organization when everything else has been defeated?
            I am curious, nothing personal. 

much love,
            sandra

2. profile image0
            RFoxposted 16 years agoin reply to this

There's something in this statement I find interesting. You don't think Mark acts like an Atheist because he is kind.
            Is kindness only the domain of religious people?
            Why can't someone be an Atheist and be also be a kind Father?

You talk about Jehovah's Witnesses being persecuted but aren't you doing exactly the same thing to Atheists? 

Is not your highly subjective and prejudicial view of what an Atheist should be or how they should act contaminating your actions and speech to those around you?

I do not believe kindness is the domain of the believer. Nor do I believe empathy and ethics to be religious tenets. There are many examples of religious intolerance and many examples of secular acceptance and kindness. (and vice versa)

We all have to find our own path in life and if we are to ever end violence and hatred we need to embrace this diversity in our world.

Atheists are good people too! big_smile

P.S. I understand Jeromeo that were trying to compliment Mark and speak kind words to him but your prejudices have tainted the way you choose to express yourself. Even in kindness sometimes we can show our intolerance. This is not meant as a personal attack in any way, shape or form. Just an observation. smile

I was making a personal observation.  Since it was ment for Mark, and in no wa meant to slight to him I am sastisfied, with the statement as it stands,  Too many people look for problems.  I see Mark as I wrote about him, the fact that he may or may not claim to be an atheist, is coincidental to the observation.

The reference to not acting like an atheist was explained because he did not try to recruit Sandra in her moment of weakness, I think a true atheist would have siezed the moment.  But that's just my opinion.

Are far as people persecuting Jehovah's Witnesses we are taught to understand; that Just like they treated Christ is the way we will be treated; and to, understand where the persecution comes from, see through it and deliver the message.

Jesus died for your sins, and you too can live in a paridise earth, will [You] except the challenge?

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

That is what most atheists are like, Jeromeo. They have enquiring, logical minds, which is why they've arrived at the atheist viewpoint.  They are usually willing to enter into debate about religious beliefs - if they don't, it's usually because they've become utterly frustrated by religious bigots who won't debate, only preach - and unfortunately there are too many of them!

Not unusual, because most people are brought up in a society with some kind of religious belief, and only come to the atheist viewpoint by questioning what they've been taught. In fact, atheists and agnostics often know a lot more about religions in general than believers (who often know only their own religion).

Atheists are not zealots, and atheism is not a belief.  It's an absence of belief.  I can believe in the Abominable Snowman.  If I don't believe in it, I don't have to believe in something else instead. I just don't believe it.  That's all atheism is.

Most atheists ARE kind and loving people because they believe this life is the only shot they'll get, so they want to make the most of it. 

Oh, and does everyone know that when you quote someone else's post, you can edit to include just the relevant bits - as this thread is getting so long, it would be nice if people could do that.  My scrolling finger is starting to hurt!

Marisa Wright wrote:

Most atheists ARE kind and loving people because they believe this life is the only shot they'll get, so they want to make the most of it. 

This is where I come in becaue there is more to life than this go round. Death did not enter the picture until Adam and Eve Broke the Law.  When Jehovah is through repairing the damage they did, everlasting life as planned will be the order of the day.

And good people like Mark will find the peace they promote.  Life is more peacefull with out the religous argument.  But preteneding, or just saying, a thing is irrelevent does not make it so.  Jesus died for His fathers dream.  I believe that, Satan will use what ever means he can to cheat us all out of God's promise.

I also believe there is more to life than this, and I believe I am obligated to share that with, other kind and loving people.  It is a shame to me to think that people like Mark, who believe in atheism will not make the cut.  But I didn't make the rules.

At any rate thanks for the enlightenment, you really broke it down for me.

I never asked who it was, but have mentioned the anti-Christ.
          Because I believe that we all can become as the Christ (Mind) that Jesus had attained. You know the bible scripture"...let that mind be in you that was also in Jesus..." and "...all these things I do, ye can do also...and even more,  because I go unto the Father..."
          AND
          I believe everyone has an anti-Christ aspect level of consciousness...it has also been called the not-self, the not-real self, the dweller on the threshold, the unconscious, and deeper/darker levels of  the subconscious, etc...
          SO... when we as the individual gradually overcomes the anti-Christ within self /keeps bound from acting in life with hate, violence, deceit, (all the worst human traits), then the Christ takes over and is One with all others that have done/are doing,  the same.

WE are all becoming Christs! smile big_smile   ....those that choose to do so by following the footsteps of Jesus the Christ and his teachings...which at this point in time have not been thoroughly interpreted or correctly interpreted. But people and their beliefs are in the process of tweeking to a new understanding...as we speak!

SparklingJewel,

I completely agree with you that we have both a Christ-mind and its opposite, I have to disagree with you that the opposite lies in the subconscious.

The opposite of the Christ-mind is the ego-mind, and the ego-mind is built on language, which is the only way that deceit and untruth can enter the human soul.

The unconscious has been unfairly demonised in our culture - the truth is that when we are living in harmony with our subconscious/non-verbal/non-logical Christ mind, we are at peace. Truly at peace. The unconscious contains merely impulses which are an expression of physical states of being, and there is no darkness or compulsion to those impulses.

When we deny and suppress ANY aspect of ourselves, judge it unworthy and attempt to stamp it out, we set up a deep internal conflict (the Great Lie), and all darkness we experience in our subconscious and unconscious is a direct result NOT of the natural impulses, but RESULTS FROM OUR EGO-MIND's ATTEMPTS TO DENY AND SUPPRESS THEM.

The ego mind is the anti-Christ - all judgement, all comparison, all "shoulds" and "shouldn'ts" are of the anti-Christ.

What was Original Sin?

Eating the fruit of the tree of THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL.

What Satan tricked Man into incorporating was JUDGEMENTALISM (which inevitably leads to judgement of self, and denial/suppression of the "undesirable" parts).

Judgement leads to suppression.

Suppression leads to internal conflict.

Internal conflict leads to darkness.

Judgement only happens in the ego-mind, therefore, the ego-mind is the anti-Christ.

Jenny

1. Paraglider profile image88
              Paragliderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I know where you're coming from, but isn't this a bit dangerous? Some judgment is necessary and downright useful. Rationality isn't such a bad thing either, and is impossible without judgment.

Phrases like 'ego-mind' and other post-freudian constructs are of doubtful value. The 'ego', the 'id' etc are just pseudo-science with no demonstrable link to anything real.

I'm not using the term in a Freudian sense, I am using it the way Eckhardt Tolle uses it - synonymous with the Buddhist "monkey-mind".

The subconscious is not without preferences and guiding impulses, even though it is not "rational". Much of learning to succeed in life is learning to "go with your gut" when you get a bad feeling about someone or something, but you can't find any rational reason for it.

Absence of JUDGEMENT is not absence of DISCRIMINATION ...

Actually I have found it is possible to be consciously non-rational, so "subconscious" isn't even the right word for it.

Non-verbal, perhaps.

I believe we are close to concurring on some of this subject. But your language is yours, mine is mine, and there are definitions within aspects of each, that the other of us doesn't know of. You speak from recorded known knowledge, and I from akasha and my limited knowledge of yours. Your organizational brain is more adept than mine, and my spiritual perception is multi-dimensional and at this point in time vague parallels are the best I can come up with. But that leaves way too much unspoken information that is really needed to fully explain my system of understandings about it all.
              But I can say that there is more to the soul than is currently conceived of and your truth is not complete according to my perception.
              II have been trying for the last several hours to say what I wanted  to try and explain,, but it hasn't panned out yet:)
              It is late, off to bed I go. Good night!

42. mikavexo profile image59
    mikavexoposted 16 years ago

Why is it that when bad things happen people blame God for allowing the misery, but when good things happen God is left out completely?  It just seems like situational ethics.  What if someone blamed you for everything bad that happens to them and when you do something nice they in turn give credit to someone else or even themself for finally bringing your around?  It's just not a fair thought process.  I guess that leads me to one of my biggest complaints in our current American society, too many people feel they are entitled to too many things.  The truth of the matter is that we are entitled to very little based on the constitution, but have been given entirely too much.

As for the religion aspect, I have found that people who don't believe in a divine being actually worship the government.

LOL I have found the opposite. Religious zealots often are right-wing politically.

Where have you been living? A cave in Afghanistan?

2. Silent Assassin profile image59

I think the western world in general has high expectations for themselves, like we should be entitled to this, that and the other.  I think that we have lost sight of reality a bit; our society was built on the pain and sacrifice that our forefathers were willing to pay, without that; we would have nothing.

43. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 16 years ago

Or when the storm demolishes the town, but not the church, God saved it. But when the church is destroyed no mention.

44. Mark Knowles profile image58

Sandra -

I can't show you how. Sorry. It's something you have to do for yourself.

I don't blame you for being angry at death. But death is nothing personal. It comes to all of us. Sometimes sooner rather than later smile We are all getting older. No stopping it I'm afraid. And yes, eventually, it will be your turn. Hopefully not for a long time yet.

The church is programmed to say these things. Standard responses. It's the devil, or it's sin,, or whatever. It is also normal to feel angry. I don't know what experience you have been through, but not believing in the bible will not send you to hell.

God is Love means nothing if the person saying it does not believe it - or feel it.

The world loves deviation. The world thrives on deviation. The church does not. smile Revel in your different-ness. There is nothing wrong with it. And I do believe there is a place for everyone. You just have to find it.

And I also believe your kid will learn to piss in the toilet LOL

I don't know what you were sucked in by, but:

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me." That's what Bush tried to say, but couldn't.

I am sorry I have no easy answers, but you seem a bright person, and will work it out. Reading books is a good start. There are more books than just the bible. You will find the answers you are looking for. You just have to look in the right places. smile

45. profile image0

yeah, your right.  I like stars.  I love space. Now that is Heaven to me. The newest theory is that we came here by meteor. 
    Says during the " " period that wiped out the dinosaurs, there weren't any people here, but when the meteor came it contained a special organism that sparked life in the water, so we came from  star dust then primordial soup.  We are aliens. LOL. 

New topic for the tread if anyone finds it interesting.  It' always about the stars.  smile

46. Mark Knowles profile image58

Even stars die. But they have a story to tell when they do.......

Stars don't die, they become something else entirely....

1. profile image0

nebula my favorite.

Yes, the crab nebula is particularly fascinating. some of the shapes and colours are mindblowing. it looks like some sort of twisted artpiece

1. profile image0

crab nebula is nothing, LOL, have you seen Casseopia A.  She's beautiful.  Oh and the Egg Nubula and Boomerang nebula.  I love the new spitzer image of the Orion nebula. 
            I could go on and on. 

Right now though, I find the egg nebula particularly fascinating because of its vivid ripples.  It really does look like a cross section of a worm hole or something.  Amazing.

WOW I will have to rekindle my interest in astronomy i think! I hope I can find some good pics on the web.... Some of the hubble images are fantastic...

1. profile image0

Download google earth.  It comes with google space.  You can get lost for hours.  smile

47. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I used to be very upset with my death, too. I don't think I care much now - aside from the effect it will have on my relatives. I watched my former wife trying to get over her father's death - it was no fun... I'm lucky to still have living parents, and what probably scares me most in this life are thoughts about their death. I know it will come, and I don't want it to come. I  d o n ' t  w a n t  i t  t o  c o m e. No, scratch this, there are more scary thoughts - sometimes I think what happens if one of my kids die. That is the end of world, really. Not that parents death is better, but in this case one at least has a kinda soothing thought that what happened is natural. It does not calm you, but you know it is how it supposed to be. It all probably selfish, I know - but this is how I feel about it now...

You are blessed Sandy. Quite a few people are asking for such an experience and not receiving it. You are a chosen one, and you will sort this out.
    Priests are trained to deal with standard cases. You are superstandard, and they just don't know what to do and get scared. When people get lost and scared, they become aggressive. On top of that, Christian church never was a tolerant one - hence so many "cults" spawned from the mainstream. They will never accept you as you are. Leave the church alone, you don't need them, you are The Temple yourself.

I think because this atheist cares about you, not about converting you into his system of beliefs...

Sandy, there are people here who share you feelings. Mark, Jenny, Kenny, Sparkling Jewel, Jim Murdoch, Ripplemaker - this is just from the top of my head, there are lots more over here. This is a great community, the home for deviants smile

I don't remember about my older one, but my middle one wasn't trained fully until after 3. How old is your daughter? I gues less than 2, right? Don't push her, just watch her, catch the moments, and share her joy of achievement. Trust me, she wants this no less than yourself. It will all come naturally in due time. smile One thing that we use to add to the joy is introducing regular panties. They are just proud to be like adults and keep the panties dry - but don't do this too early.

Don't look back - this is what you said to me. You can't return what you used to be... I do admire you as you are now, though - not as you used to be wink We learn, and we change as we learn. This is painful sometimes, but this is what we are designed to do I think...

Probably it is called midlife crisis - and whatever it is, I know you'll get through it, and re-emerge from ashes smile

LOL I exhausted my ability to put thought into words. You can kill me now, I wouldn't feel it...

1. profile image0

Your the best Misha!  smile

48. profile image0

P.S Jenny, you enlightened me on the Love thy Self, part.  The difficulty in the Divine Self, is in loving the Divine Self.  Thus the greatest difficulty in accepting One Self as It Is.

It's just that we are so prone to judgement and comparison.

We compare our measly human self with our celestial Divine Self and judge the human self unworthy.

The cosmic joke of course is that they are the same Self, actually. Our Divine Self gets that, and our human self doesn't.

The layers of irony are just masterfully delicious ...

Jenny

1. profile image0

So true, so true.

49. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL I have a lot to work on in this area, too. Even without divine part tongue

You are not without a Divine part, my dear! Your Divine part is radiantly present ...

Jenny

Misha - put it away quick. smile

MARK!!!

I had been soooooo restrained and decorous and completely refrained from going there ... sheesh. I needn't have bothered. smile

1. Misha profile image63

Ooops... You lost me again, guys sad

Jenny was making a remark that could be considered suggestive and I was pointing that out in a not-so-subtle way big_smile

1. Misha profile image63

Ha! I got it finally big_smile

Better late then never I guess wink

*giggle*

Oh, the places I could go with that line, too .... wink

But I won't, cos I am a Good Girl.

I'll let Mark do it instead.

Jenny

P.S. Lord, once you get in this frame of mind, EVERYTHING is suggestive, isn't it? I need to get some fresh air.

50. Thom Carnes profile image60
    Thom Carnesposted 16 years ago

Sandra - I'm touched that you noticed my absence lately. Very sorry - I've been off doing other things.

Your remarks about being afraid of death made me think of something Richard Dawkins said once. He said that the fact that we are all going to die makes us the *lucky* ones - because in order to die we first had to be born, and for every one of us that was born there were countless millions who weren't: they were never conceived or died before they were born or died before they could draw their first breath.....

Every one of us can say one thing with absolute certainty: that not a single one of our ancestors died in infancy. And that's why we are here. And that's why we are going to die.

Whether you consider this a wonderful gift or a terrible curse or simply a result of blind, mechanistic chance probably comes down to a question of temperament .....

I personally believe that all religious belief stems initially from the fear of death. We have invented a power endowed with all the benefits and attributes that we lack. We are weak, but He is supremely powerful. We are finite, but He is infinite. We know very little, but He knows everything. We are imperfect, but He is perfect. ....

And, most important of all, we are mortal - so He is immortal.

If we are seeking the consolation of wit and wisdom and knowledge that enables us to endure the pain and suffering and disappointments that life (inevitably) bestows on all of us, I believe that consolation is to be found in the works of Man, not of God. It's to be found in works of literature and philosophy, in art and music, in human discourse and relationships.

Perhaps the reason why atheists, agnostics, skeptics, freethinkers - even, perhaps, libertines and philanderers -  have a tendency to make us feel "better" than priests and prophets and rabbis and ayatollahs is because they understand better than anyone that there is only one life, only one world, and that to hope for another one - an "afterlife" - is probably the greatest and deadliest sin of all.

"The Denial of Death" by Becker, explains the exact psychodynamics of it.

It's not just religion - many people cling to nationalism, political parties, and other organisational symbols as their "immortality vehicles". These things don't overtly promise actual physical immortality the way some religions do, but the whole "I live on in my works/community/family/nation" thing is basically the same dynamic.

It's a fascinating read - he's an academic researcher and has tested his hypotheses in the lab - you'd really enjoy it, Thom.

Thanks, Jenny. I'll give it a try.

One could create an entire lifetime's reading plan just from the books recommended on this thread!

2. profile image0

There you are!!!!!smile  I was thinking last night, the greatest challenge for a believer is to become   a non believer.  In the course of seeking God,  when it comes down to it, the fullest of faith are the ones who are able to live without the need of God. 

Now the same can be said for a non believer.  The greatest challenge for a non believer is to become a believer.  In the course of seeking God, when it comes down to it, the fullest of faith are the ones who are able to live without the need for God.

as Jenny said it best....the ironies are masterfully delicious...  wink

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

I quoted this part, but your whole post expressed it so well, thank you!   The only thing I would question is whether religious belief stems entirely from the fear of death.   It's notable that such belief is greater, the more difficult life is.  In stressful circumstances, people need to find some reason for going on.   If they can't see any possibility of relief in this world, the only way they can survive is to believe there will be some relief in the next.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)