Fear of Death

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (89 posts)
  1. srwnson profile image60
    srwnsonposted 13 years ago

Brothers and Sisters in Christ, this message is for you.

You have heard the non-believers here on hubpages make the statement. “The only reason anyone would believe in God is fear, fear of death etc.” As laughable as this statement is, let’s address it. Fear of death is common to all men faith or no faith. Anyone that says they don’t fear death is deceiving himself because fear of the unknown is common sense. Dying, the halting of all life functions, is the great mystery that neither science nor religion has ever been able to penetrate. The truth is one must accept death as a necessary part of life and overcome it through faith in Christ the Lord.

Socrates farewell remarks to his friends were, The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our ways-I to die, and you to live. Which is better only God knows.

These words are very telling, they suggest that God has the answers we seek about death. Lets look at the bible. Luke 2:25,26 And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: And the Holy Ghost was upon him. And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.

This passage in Luke is often overlooked but I think it has a particular relevance in the fear of death for those that believe in Christ. Here’s a man who never witnessed any of the miracles or heard any of the words that Jesus would later speak, never read of the horrors recorded in the book of Revelations and still having seen the infant wasn’t afraid of death. Luke 2:29,30 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace according to thy word:For mine eyes have seen thy salvation.

Consider this, Simeon had been brought up in the traditions of his people and knew what those traditions required for his death, yet he defied them and proclaimed Christ anyway. He overcame any fears he may have had and accepted death peacefully.

The problem with those who don’t believe is, hope has been abandoned. Inevitability sets in and so they must fill their soul with all the worldly pleasures that can be packed into a small and insignificant life span. I’m not saying don’t live life, by all means do, but remember through faith there is hope.

For it is the promise of Christ the Savior who was raised from the dead in a body of flesh: Luke 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see I have. That those who believe in him will have everlasting life, a covenant that he will not break. For the faithful, what need to fear death with such a promise waiting. So Brothers and Sisters do you believe only out of fear?

Blessings to those who pray for them.

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why should we fear death. We were created by God as spiritual,angelic beings. We were sent to earth and take on human form only to fit in with those already here. We are assigned a specific length of time by God in which we are to serve Him and perform tasks He desires fulfilled by us as we learn what being an angel in heaven is all about. Once we have completed our assignments from God, provided we have freely accepted Jesus as Our Lord, and His death and resurrection as our salvation, we will return to heaven as angels of God, otherwise we will be condemned as a follower of satan to his destruction and death with him.

2. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pretty funny stuff. I see that as a desperate attempt to prop up a belief system by making yourself appear special and condescending over others who don't share your desperation. smile

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't agree with you more. We are poor, lost souls, they think. What arrogance. What sets them apart from us? Even if they DO believe in an atonement, they grovel for forgiveness and mercy. So why then, are they any better than any of us?

Unfathomable.

1. Jerami profile image59
          Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The answer is that no one is any better than anyone else.

Many situations that we find ourselves "in" can be seen as better or worse.  But as far as the person themselves are concerned? I think that we are all lost in the dark in one respect or another.

2. aguasilver profile image71
          aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Romans 11:32-34 (Amplified Bible)

For God has consigned (penned up) all men to disobedience, only that He may have mercy on them all [alike].

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!

How unfathomable (inscrutable, unsearchable) are His judgments (His decisions)!

And how untraceable (mysterious, undiscoverable) are His ways (His methods, His paths)!

For who has known the mind of the Lord and who has understood His thoughts, or who has [ever] been His counselor?

1. profile image51
            paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Who" is that person?

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
              LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jesus Christ the Son of the living God.

3. denden mangubat profile image70
      denden mangubatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i fear death if i know that i'm not yet save by Jesus

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

jesus who? pls.
        You know absoilutely nothing about this jesus character.
        You know only what you are told and read. Your new testament has been so corrupted by time and interpretation that all it provides you is more fiction and fairytale.
        Instead  of "following," why don't you get some education ref your beliefs? Ya never know, it might open a brand new world for you to travel and explore.
        Just an honest suggestion.

1. aguasilver profile image71

From looking at your posts, you seem incapable of an honest question or answer, just more atheist bilge designed to bait believers.... boring and (from now on) infinitely ignorable.

2. hanging out profile image60
          hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

honest suggestion? isn't that what the serpent said in the garden?
          lol
          the masoretic texts of the OT are absolutely trustworthy
          the texts of jesus apostles are wonderfully written
          God is not so small that He cannot write and maintain His book.
          Good grief you must examine the whole picture when you comment on a little piece of it.

4. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The fact that you are willing to believe in the absurdities of the bible, despite the blatant nonsense, indicates that you fear death and authority.

A freethinker has the COURAGE to think for himself, and discard the primitive stupidity of savages long dead.  You are motivated by fear.  Stop fooling yourself.

Hi Getitrite

It is more like the freethinker is afraid to believe vesus the believer believing our of fear.

Everything that you think about is based on something that you learned. Had you been born in another time, you too would have believed that the world was flat.

Everything we "know" to be true changes except the Word of God....You can't out think it. It is foolishness to you and we know it, but it is beyond logic... it is the reality that we all seek smile

1. Beelzedad profile image60

It wasn't a belief in god that discovered the world wasn't flat, it was a belief in god that kept people believing the world was flat. smile

1. hanging out profile image60

NO it was the catholic church that kept the people believing the world was flat and that the earth was the center of the universe and not the sun.

CATHOLIC CHURCH
            it is wrong to fabricate stories. Get the truth before you post plz
            catholics believe in mary not God.
            catholics are actually far from God this is why many of them after falling away become bitter and hang out in christian forums ranting and raving falseness.

but we don't know who these people might be

That's what I said.

I know you feel it necessary to split yourself off from a group of people who believe differently from you and deride their beliefs in order to defend your own, but the fact of the matter is that whatever the Catholic Church may have said or done in regards to the world around us, Christians are no different in that regard.

And, we know exactly who these people might be. wink

getrite.
        wrong. I am motivated by love, the love of God. Gods love.
        Seen it, been there, living in it, got the tshirt.

God is not fear
        God is not even a bunch of rules to adhere to

God is a loving father
        only being on the inside looking out reveals that
        you get there by using a little bit of faith.
        I would rather be narrow minded and correct than a freethinker and wrong, this is fear, perhaps this fear being spoken of is why atheists are so adamant and trolling the christian forums?

5. profile image57
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

at the age of 20, I found myself landing in Vietnam with an M16(machine gun)  I was not afraid of dieing, I was finding myself in a situation I knew nothing about, I was afraid of what I might find myself in, I should not have been The Lord brought my Dad out of WW2 and I knew I would be going home again, but I was afraid of what experiences I might be going home with, If I had trusted the Lord more I would not have left with nerve problems, but it got me a paycheck from the gov't. for the rest of my life

6. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord....

I think exorter said it best, how death comes may be fearful or of concern, but the fact of death is not.

7. imperial_han profile image61
      imperial_hanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People,
      If between fear and welcoming death, which one you will choose, if you know that you will dead anyway oneday.....

We human always see things from wrong perspective, and therefore planted the wrong mindset and philosophy...

Our goal is to leave the world noblely...tat is to leave many great path behind that benefit so many other people that continue generation by generation...

We frequent use the feeling at wrong place...fear is always put in negative place such as we must fear of doing evils, fear of stealing, fear of murder and so on... not fear something like this....becos ur fear are not produce any result, but fear of stealing, atleast will make u stay far from commit stealing...

Live noblely and honorly, fear nothing except the needed to fear...ofcos, death is not one in the list...

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

i ain't afraid of it at all. I just don't wanna be around when it comes. ;D

I hope your ready for it....smile

3. stilljustwonderin profile image59
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

I don't fear death.  At the time of our death, we will only pass from this life into a perfect life.  One where there is no pain or sorrow.  There is nothing to fear about that.

1. srwnson profile image60
      srwnsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful, what strange bedfellows fear can make though. I was traveling across Wyoming one evening when the snow began falling. harder and harder.  Soon, the road began disappearing in an endless blanket of white.

I was only able to keep to the road by hitting the rumble strips on the shoulder. Eventually, the large front  bumper of my semi was plowing snow. I could see a number of cars behind me and thinking they wished to pass I would slow, but the other vehicles only slowed with me, content to stay in the tracks of my big truck.

Finally the lights of a Pilot came into view. I pulled in expecting to see the other vehicles continue on. Instead the other six vehicles followed me in. I met one in the restaurant. He walked up to me and asked If I was the driver of the rig that had just parked. I said I was, this elderly gentleman shook my hand and announced "My wife and i stayed in your tracks, I was so scared we'd run off the road, I never pray to God, but I prayed you knew what you were doing."

1. stilljustwonderin profile image59
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is wonderful.  People who have never turned to God do seem to do so when they are in fear of something.   Those people may have never prayed, but they knew where their help was.

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

Wow....

The reality of death or the fear of death will turn every heart to thoughts of God.

1. IsisChannelingKit profile image60
          IsisChannelingKitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, thats unfortunate. Thoughts of  fear should not evoke thoughts of God. For many, the thought of God also evokes Fear. It should be thoughts of Love and knowing God's Love will conquer all fear. Including fear of death.

4. srwnson profile image60
    srwnsonposted 13 years ago

Brothers and sisters in Christ this message is for you.

Now you’ve heard many non-believers on hubpages say, “The only reason for your faith in Christianity is because you were ingrained with those beliefs.” Let me address this by saying, if Christianity is only an indoctrination of family beliefs, how is it possible that the church originally started from a devoutly Jewish community?

The first Christians who weren’t even known as Christians at that time, but as an assembly of believers;(ecclesia) were originally Jews: Acts 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. .

A very strict culture with disciplines and traditions handed down from generation to generation. Yet the first Christians turned from this upbringing; Why? Because they saw the works that our Lord Jesus preformed. They heard the words and saw the miracles of the original disciples of Christ from their own mouths and their own hands,Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none;but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

The early Christians saw and heard these things and changed from devoutJews, to followers of our Lord Jesus. Acts 2:41 Then they gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

These scripture comes from the book. They are plain and need no interpretation. The evidence of its truth is still around in the millions of  believers today.

Blessings to those who pray for them.

1. stilljustwonderin profile image59
      stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True.  Our beliefs aren't from indoctrination.  Faith may begin at the hearing of the word, but it grows and confirms it self from the experiences we have with God.
      Our faith has been confirmed.  We are sure of it.  There is nothing a non believer can say than can change us.  Our Lord has changed us, and "no one" can pluck us out of his hand.

5. Woman Of Courage profile image60
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

No I don't believe out of fear. I believe out of the love all I have for God.

6. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Very well said srwnson.  I don't believe out of fear, I believe because God has always been there for me when I am good and bad.  What I do fear is having to stand before him and explain myself.

7. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

NO. On August 1, 1982 a Sunday morning GOD in a vision shown me the other side of death. It is glorious and I will always treasure this in my heart. A very precious gift that GOD have given to me and I have kept it to myself all these years except for a few people that I felt comfortable with to tell them. It is real as Jesus said: In my father's house are many dwelling places, and I go to prepare a place for them, I will come back to get them so that where I am at they will be with me also. Thank you. Go in peace.

8. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I want to die from old age in my own home and to leave some money for my children, just ordinary wish I think. Don't want to be sick. Don't want to be really poor. Don't want to suffer.

9. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

The greater fear would be can one really know there is a God?  Some can't seem to find that answer. Others can. Fear of death is common, but not rampant. For those who are at peace with themselves and know their connection with the universe, god or whatever it is, do not fear death. Nor do they fear not know if there is a god or not.

It's irrelevant. They cannot be lost in the universe because they are a part of it.

And this is where I am. And it's all good.

10. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

I see your opinions as a desperate attempt to denigrate a belief system by making yourself appear special and condescending over others who don't share your compulsion.

11. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I don't fear death, but not because I do or don't believe in God. Life is much more frightening.

12. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

People do fear the unknown and what happens after death is a big unknown. It is as simple as that. Various religions have preyed upon the fear of the unknown including creating myths about what is beyond death.

1. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Belief in the hereafter is a pillar of Religion; and death is a reality one  cannot escape from.

Humans are born while previously they never existed; death again makes them non-existent.

Belief in the hereafter motivates one to do good deeds and to humility.

1. aka-dj profile image66
        aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a very weird post. If death makes you nonexistent (again) why bother with God, religion or anything else.
        Is that your understanding of Islamic teaching? hmm

"Eat, drink, make merry, for tomorrow we die."
        Nothing else matters..Right? sad

aks-dj,

Wrong, eat, drink and be merry is cool, smile but something else matters.

If we take religious beliefs out of the picture and move totally to scientific data, we will find that the near death experience or those who have clinically died and returned to their bodies all have similiar experiences.

Numerous scientific studies show that after death, you still exist and, you don't just exist under your own power. You are relegated to a location. It is either a place of light and extreme joy or a place of darkness and extreme dispair.

We can't post links here, but it would do you good to google near death experiences of research this topic in another way....

I am sure you will find that you should do more than eat, drink and be merry.

That is entirely false. It is dishonest to fabricate stories.

2. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you have a good point - which is why people came up with the concept of god, because they wanted to try and have meaning in their live, and explain their observations of beauty and ugliness and "good" and "bad".

Christians seem to be hanging out for the "next life", rather than making the most of the one they have here. 

I am married. My lack of belief doesn't mean I am going to run off an be promiscious.  I don't drink alcohol because it doesn't agree with me.

as i recall the people were not looking for a God. Abraham saw a burning bush and God informed him that He was going to set the slaves of egypt free. And he did. The rest is God interacting with those people and then extending himself to the gentiles, of which i am one.
            People who worship the creaTION may have needed a concept to explain.
            But the God i follow came to us and said, "hey, have i gotta deal for you".
            and he did not lie.

13. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

Fear of death relieved by religion also motivates people to do things like blow up embassies and strap dynamite to themselves and blow up buses full of people. There is good and there is bad in having fear of death removed or put into a religious context.

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep!

Like they say, Gods don't kill people people with gods kill people. smile

1. profile image0
        AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am killing people with my love peace free just be it : sayings. A little humor there. ha ha ha... It is funny. Thank you. Go in peace.

2. Rod Marsden profile image68
        Rod Marsdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very good earnest!

Go in peace Butler and not in pieces?  Fair enough.

1. earnestshub profile image79
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile a nice  mind you got there. smile

3. hanging out profile image60

governments kill people.. people get informed after the fact there is war.
        crazies kill people.
        people who believe in re-incarnation kill people (not a christian belief)

It is true that people go on rampages in the name of God. It is also true that people go on rampages in the name of crazy, or because the demons told them to or because they were neglected as a child or because they watched too much t.v. and even because they were born without a conscientious (is that spelled right? I never could spell that right.)

You point is logically unsound gentlemen. There are crazies of all kinds and for all reasons. Why conclude that belief in God is destructive to all mankind?

There is more good that happens for others because of belief in God than there is bad that happens.

Check your statistics )D

14. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

HAHAHA  HOHOHOHO.....LMSLAO!
    IM GONNA LEAVE THIS MESSAGE IN CAPS.
    PLS PROVIDE ME WITH ONE LINE OF SCRIPTURE IN ANY MONOTHEISTIC TOME THAT DEFINES THIS GOD THING IN ANY FORM BUT CONJECTURE AND OPINION.
    IF YA CAN DO THAT, JEEZ YA MIGHT HAVE A CONVERT HERE...
    ...BUT I KNOW YA CAN'T SO YER JUST TURGID WITH HOPE!
    LOLOLOLOL!!!

Genesis 28:13
      And behold, the Lord stood over and beside him and said, I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father [forefather] and the God of Isaac; I will give to you and to your descendants the land on which you are lying.

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ty Aqua: you just proved 2 things to me:
        1.You read without understanding. What you offered was naught but opinion and conjecture offered to you in a tome filled with fairytales.
        2.You are a "follower." You are not at thinker who has done his homework ref. his inane beliefs.
        You have just earned a spot on my list of those who have nothing of value to offer or respond to.
        Congrats!

It was a statement dummy.

qwark

We don't have the burden of proof that God exists. We can look around at the wonder of creation and know that He does. You on the other hand deny every feeling that you have about the truth of His existance. You know it and we do too.

You spend so much time in the negative that you miss out on the life and love that is rightfully yours.

Psychology and common sense will both tell you, that if you are adamantly angry about something there must be something hidden in you about that thing.

I think you were disappointed or hurt by churh folk or a religious representative and are now simply bent on raging against God for that reason...... am I right?

Yet, after studying the world around us, we find no evidence of gods whatsoever, but instead we find evolution and the fact that all living things evolved from simpler beginnings. We find that the world around us came about entirely on it's own.

Psychology and common sense will not tell you gods exist. smile

I disagree.
          evolution is something that has been drawn together after the fact. How can evolution tell my eye that it needs more superiority than a flatworms optical spot? evolution does not have "keen insights" to "good ideas". evolution is something mankind has put together to form some sort of theory. Again evolution is a theory based on looking at a chain of events after the fact and supposing there is enough information to assemble some sort of truth.
          again.. the angler fish has a fishing pole and worm like appendage on its head. It lures the prey with the appendage and then swallows it. This would be an instance of evolution picking its path as no intelligent cell can say, i want an appendage so i can lure dinner.
          mankind flatters itself with theories of explanation.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/3913681_f248.jpg

2. profile image0

the "wonder of creation" is very subjective.  A rainbow is beautiful, but it is formed from light being distorted by rain-drops acting as a prism.  This is not a theory but a fact.  Sunsets are beautiful, but they are really a physical phenonomen - the light being scattered by dust .    Do you really think god made everything for you to marvel at?  There are brightly-coloured sea creatures at the bottom of the sea that hardly any one has seen for example.

which came first the promise or the rainbow? answer that and you will have your answer.
          Theres no end to Gods creating ability

3. profile image0
      DavidWS10posted 13 years agoin reply to this

And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
      Exodus 3:14

15. A la carte profile image61
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

a famous writer said

Death is a very dull, dreary affair, and my advice to you is to have nothing whatsoever to do with it

I believe it was Somerset Maughan

lol

16. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/petoons21/Tshirt_350.jpg

17. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/petoons4/dancart2339.jpg

Yawn.... same old misinformation Earnest...

Environment:
      http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/002167.html

World Debt:
      http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? … ;aid=16212

Sustainable energy:
      http://www.christiantoday.com/article/d … /25635.htm

Educating the young: (you are joking of course!)
      http://new.gbgm-umc.org/work/education/

Over Population:
      http://post-apocalyptictheology.blogspo … ation.html

I have not url linked them as that seems to be against the TOS, but take a look and see that your silly cartoon is baseless and is actually a deception, like so much of the stuff you post in your inane attempt to discredit Christ and believers.

You may not like the Christian approach to these subjects, but 'we' are certainly involved!

Excellent work there earnest.

Well agyasilver all earnest has touched upon is real.

Christians are involved sure but the question is whether Christians are adding to the planet's woes or  actually acting sensibly and prudently. Certainly in centuries past Christians have not acted prudently.

18. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

You made an argument for not taking care of the environment. LOL

"As Christians we should reject the Neo-Pagan elevation of the environment above humans and reject the logical and moral fallacy that care for the environment somehow equates to fewer people. "

How many peopel u think god sed wot it can do wivowt destrustifyin the werld innit?

10 billion billion perhaps? LOL that religionists cannot understand "finite" LOLOL

So - how many people do you think the earth can sustain, Daddy? That cartoon is extremely accurate. You are the one providing misinformation - again.

Like I said...

"You may not like the Christian approach to these subjects, but 'we' are certainly involved!"

Once again you pick a one liner that fits your secular humanist mindset, and ignore the point.

Earnest (not you) posted a deceptive cartoon, I simply answered it showing that it was deception.

You all seem masters of deception!

Vent some more spleen Mark, get your rocks off being petty and vindictive.

God can support any number of believers, it's the secular humanists that seek an eugenics solution.

Do you really believe in 'population reduction'... if you do you share good company, Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin and every other despot who has ever gone that route.

Edit: Just noticed another great athiest 'population reduction' master, Mao Zedong, who apparently managed to 'save the world' by 'reducing' his countries population by 45 million....

You are in good company Mark.

1. aka-dj profile image66
        aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This would be their "just" approach. hmm

Get rid of all undesirables, so that the elite (peace-loving, moral, ethical and always right atheists, of course) will have thier evolutionary utopia in which anything ( except godliness, of course) would flourish.

It takes playing the  "devils advocate", because it shows up how STUPID it all is.

Gottaluvdem. sad

2. profile image0

the god in the bible took part in population culling (murder) on a frequent basis

yes he did. Can you imagine why?

perhaps you might read this hub
          http://hubpages.com/hub/The-atheist-say … urself-God

Care for the environment DOES equate to fewer people on the planet. The earth is not getting any bigger. It is finite.

God may be able to support any number of believers but he'll have to get some space age  Noah to do it. Now if God were to send plans to this space age Noah and we were to colonize distant worlds then I suppose you could be right there aquasilver.

If Mark is in good company then you are in excellent  company aquasilver. There are the guys who went on the Crusades, the priests who are supposed to be celibate but aren't, the pope who supported Hitler during his rise to power and the Italian dictator as well, the pope who caused the Protestant revolution because he was a despot and wanted to make money on sacred relics and indulgences, etc. In 1964 the pope of the day could have done the right thing and said methods of contraception that really do work are fine with him. He did not. Monty Python did a send up of his attitude. And so it goes...

Nothing stupid about wanting the world to be capable of supporting life in the future. Nothing stupid about wanting my family to have a future when I am gone.

19. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

Don't get fear of the pain mixed up with fear of death.lots of people[believers and nonbelievers alike]die at peace and in comfort.Others,in agony,scream in Pain,not out of fear.One thing's for sure,Your EGO,the part of you that your Conscious of,will definitely End...If you don't believe that go dig up a dead guy and see if you can have a conversation with him.
    Also,when Socrates said"Only God Knows",He wasn't talking about the Christian God cause that god wasn't hanging out until quite a while after old Soc Croaked.

20. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Fear of Death

Fear of death makes one sobre

Paarsurrey

I like how you said that....stupid stuff like arguing over whether there is a God or not become mute.

When you acknowldege death and really look at the fact that you are going to die you begin to seek out God...

You start looking for the right information so you can be settled about your eternal destiny.

21. profile image0
    DavidWS10posted 13 years ago

I just have one question. Wouldn't it make more sense to believe and live as though there is a God, and then find out there isn't one; than to believe and live as though there is no God and then find out there really is a God?

No, because if you live as though there was a god, you might find out it isn't the same god you've worshiped your whole life, and you'd be in more trouble for not worshiping the correct god. smile

lol
        then you must tell me what kind of a God would allow that to happen.
        Some things sound good on paper but once you take them off the paper they miserably fall apart.

i await to hear of a living God that would allow false worship and then punish ( i presume)

2. spookyfox profile image61
      spookyfoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We shouldn't ask whether the truth will benefit us or hurt us. It is what it is. That, and what Beelzedad said.

Even if it were true that the god from the bible exists, wouldn't it be dishonest to simply obey him? Shouldn't we, from our own interest and will, be allowed to judge on our own and live life according to our compass? And then if we die and found out there is a God who judges us, if we were good and honest with other people and with ourselves, he'll see that. If he's not pleased with it, well you should take the consequences because you just followed your essence.

Wouldn't that make more sense than constantly being asking for forgiveness and feeling guilty?

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

DavidWS10,

Beautifully said.....

22. adeyera profile image61
    adeyeraposted 13 years ago

Fear of death has always been the reason why people believe in God. is there any person that does not fear death? We are all going to die on day. But if you are in christ, it is certain that you will live with Jesus Christ forever. This simply means there is life after death.

We shall all give account of what we done here on earth. If  you know how to do evil continue and if you know how to do good continue. There is a reward for eveything we do here on earth.

23. spookyfox profile image61
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

There is something no one here has addressed yet, and it shows how it is that believers minds work:

An atheist believes there is nothing after death. Nothing. Nothing means no conscience, no suffering, no experiencing, it is absent and therefore it would be stupid to fear it. Do you fear the time before you were born? No. It is only after the ego has settled that you can be afraid to lose, by clinging on to it and not wanting to let it go. By inventing an eternal cycle of death and rebirth like the Egyptians did for example, or one eternal afterlife you successfully fool yourself into thinking you'll be able to be you forever. And we could even go further into how by 'releasing' yourself from your mortal body you will be one and complete with the lord, in other words, all yor frustrations and unfullfilled wishes will be non existant. Seeing all that perhaps you can see how it's fairly easy to regard it as old fashion wishful thinking, specially when so little is required as evidence for it (none).

On the other hand it is religion which states that there is an after life with a possible punishment, therefore, it is religious people who should/would be afraid of death by not just one, but two reasons:

1. You expect something else, thereby making you wish there was something else and believing that if you are a good boy and obey some rules handed down to you from the sky you will have an entrance to that after life.

2. You don't obey, you burn in hell.

But oh what a coincidence, none of the believers think they will go to hell.

This shows how narrowminded you are in order to ask atheists if they aren't afraid of the 'unknown' when in fact it isn't unknown to us; and you haven't even asked yourself or fellow believers why aren't you afraid of going downstairs instead of upstairs.

1. profile image0

very well said

that wasnt well said lol

narrowminded indeed.
      Its not "do not obey and you go to hell". Its be not saved and you go to hell. The obeying is a life long journey. If we die along the way we will not go to hell because we did not obey, we did obey. We are written in jesus book of life and all that's needed for salvation and avoidance of hell. You err not knowing the scriptures.
      The fact of a secured salvation is never a question the saved ever have to ask. We have the personal relationship with God remember? well, how could you never having experienced it. God is love and God did not lie. Fornicators, adulterers, in short, people with their sinful nature ruling them will not inherit the kingdom of God. simply put. All those IN christ jesus have no worries at all.
      We are not afraid nor do i think i ever think about dying. It will happen but then again it might not, don't forget about the 1,000 yr reign.. when that happens some will not die. The focus is jesus and thats all we need as a goal. It is not a coincidence we don't think we will go to hell because we won't. You see we have something other than our thoughts that dictate how things are and in that we find solidness, fact, and love. We never think ourselves to be the sum of all knowledge and wisdom and we have the word of God to thank for that. Our salvation is assured as can anyone who calls upon the Lord and believes (honestly believes) that Jesus died and rose again to forgive sin and change lives. We live in christ and christ lives in us. No way do we go anywhere near hell.
      have a nice day.

24. profile image0
    bolt1951posted 13 years ago

Geez, I find it incredible that after all this time most people would understand, that non of this has anything to do with us. This is between God and Satan. And the answer, I don't know  what Bible, Koran, or what ever is rocking your spiritual world
    the answer will NEVER, EVER, EVER...!!!! be found on this earth.
    however if you close your eyes and be in a silent place you might get a glimps of an answer. but never all. This is meant to be like this from the beggining of time. Who are we to even try to attempt to come up with answers that were translated from men.(who are imperfect. These happenings are men trying to do the same thing Lucifer did. that is why we're all in rhis we are attempting to get to god who is a spiritual being through earth. Beside we should all understand that no matter what we think we're doing. We believe we're doing it on our own. Not so we really have no say on our desteny. just look back at your past how much of what you thought you were gonna be are you now??? Let things be come to peace with yourself and follow the truth and you shall be set free. Well as free as you can be in an imperfect world. We'll all find out, I guess what I believe, I believe we will get the answer the very second we pass over. Have a happy and peaceful life and be patient. the way I see it is very simple, the true God is not complex, he is crystal clear in body and soul...so if what ever your into isn't crystal clear, it is not of a godlu nature...Farewell my friends.

risky theory you have, since christ died on the christ to give exactly the opposite of what you purported. God is not complex you are right, therefore do we christians know what is going on, because we know both the son and the father and partake of His holy spirit. There is no secret and the path is quite simple and not complex at all.
      The men may have been imperfect but it doesn't take perfection to write the bible, especially when God is supervising. Your God is small and cannot write even a book, my God is hugely large and the book is a small matter for God. And since my nose is in the book daily i speak from experience not something i let the dust pile up on from ages ago.

25. jay_kumar_07 profile image60
    jay_kumar_07posted 13 years ago

Death is a Gift for those failed to get good in life-period.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)