Can't you simply live your life without a religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (82 posts)
  1. GoldenBird profile image57
    GoldenBirdposted 12 years ago

Are you myopic? Do you need your religion-glasses properly? No offence, I am indeed curious after watching the pious zeal around.

GoldenBirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"to see properly?"

2. mischeviousme profile image59
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I left religion because I was not living my own life, I was living the life religion wanted me to. Religion only steepened the illusion and made it that much harder to climb out of myself. Religion can trap the mind and make us blind to the real world, in religion we are not ourselve's. Be no one's puppet for your body and mind are your's.

What about it makes you your own slave?

1. mischeviousme profile image59

The problem is, that as westerners, we have been duped. We see only that which they want us to see and like perfect slaves we did exactly that.

Any solution to that?

2. wilmiers77 profile image60
        wilmiers77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You were missing the personal seeking of Christ Jesus which would have resulted in a relationship only between you and Jesus. Religion simply suggests a few general subjects to begin seeking God's thoughts and developing a relationship between You and God only in private. The Son of God, Jesus, is that mediator between You and God. Jesus is that first form for your mind since all thoughts are based on matter and the Spirit from God who needs no matter.

Reality to the observer is an illusion of the mind. Even now is an illusion, for my mind is telling me that this is reality. So then, If I chose a God, it would be an illusion that I use to fit in with reality. Then also, this reality would be God for it is the creation of now. Tomorrow does not exist and now will not take me to the reality of tomorrow, for tomorrow will eventualy be now. Thus it will repeat every second of every minute of every hour, ad-infinitum.

1. wilmiers77 profile image60

Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

Matthew 6:33
            But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Seek a personal relationship with the Son of God, Jesus, who has God's Spirit. No church members or even pastor can do this for anyone....only U...

I walked away from the church and the religion there of, because I was not learning anything of myself. I had learned that I should not cow tao to an idea that keeps me spiritualy hungry and yet I learn nothing of the real world from. I moved on because there is so much more to learn in the world then the emperical ideas of a people that are no longer living. I learned that I must live in the world and I have no choice but to be of it. I am part of this universe and Christianity only kept me from seeing it as it is. All else is an illusion and that illusion is comfortable, seems to be the running theme in religious circles.

3. parrster profile image80
      parrsterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Goldenbird, I think that religiosity is the natural progression from an acceptance that there is a supreme being and a desire to know him. Therefore, to ask if it is possible to live without religion, is to ask if it is possible to live without God.
      Is it possible to live without God? No, for we would not exist.
      Is it possible to live with God, but without seeking him? Yes, millions of people are doing that very thing.
      The more profound question might be, 'Is it better to seek God, or not, and why?'
      I like your question.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is the acceptance of a BELIEF in a supreme being and the question is whether or not one can live without the belief, which is the same thing as if asking if one can live without mosquito bites. If any god existed, the acceptance to its existence would be evident and in agreement with everyone.

Others have found things that were originally believed to be myths, but they were events few and far between and usually something physically real.

4. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, seriously, do you think most people have a choice?

People have religious beliefs because they need them.  They find value in there and they can't just shut it off and say 'I don't believe that any more".

The other side is just as true.  I always rejected religion as superstitious nonsense.  I see the value and comfort that it can bring, but I can't just say "Oh, it would be helpful to believe, so I will".

1. WD Curry 111 profile image58
        WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where I am from, we call this personal integrity.

1. Pcunix profile image92

No, that would be something different.  For example, if I pretended to be religious to gain work or a contract, I would not have integrity.

I had an interesting situation some years back where I was called in on a problem and the owner wanted to know if I was "saved"  before I began working on the problem.  I answered honestly and he didn't want to hire me because I did.

I said I understood, but  I didn't know of anyone else who could help without flying in from out of State at great expense and here I was, so why not let me fix it?  He would only agree if he could have an hour to "save" me - and he'd buy lunch.

I told him that wasn't going to change my mind, but if he paid for lunch, I'd listen.  So I fixed his problem, he wrote me a check and we went to lunch.  He preached Jesus for an hour and I then left, still unsaved. He was disappointed but took it well.

I guess we both acted with integrity.

5. mathira profile image71
      mathiraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Religion is like food to me as it is essential for my survival.I have a crutch in my religion to lean on when I am in trouble.

2. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

That would be a very un-natural thing to do.

Indeed! big_smile

3. profile image51

We should neither follow East nor the West; we should be with the Truth.

Ah ha! And it is as simple as seeing the truth. Be awake and the world is beautiful, follow the dream and there will be nightmares.

2. GoldenBird profile image57

Some folks sold Truth for money.

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We should refuse to follow them

4. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

The problem is that religion has become too much about ritual and not enough about lifestyle.
    To me, religion=lifestyle, as defined by the teachings which later were organized into "organized religion" which nowadays is alot of times nothing more than a corporate business. hmm

1. profile image51

I agree with you.

Still one could find the truth and leave the garbage

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Possibly, yes.

And let paarsurrey make a solution for us big_smile

Solution to what? lol

Finding a shortcut lane to escape from the garbage-land. cool

lol garbage-land? smile

Sounds like Disneyland! big_smile

LOL. Except not as enjoyable.

Unless you're a goat...

There are no short cuts, just a long road between the "Maternity ward and the crematorium".

Birds can walk a little distance. They cheat their walking-capacity when they spread their wings and fly.

But that is a bird and we have no wings and I have never been on a plain.

5. profile image51

Search, struggle and pray to the Creator God to be steadfast on the truthful path; wherever it is, with whomsoever it is.

Are you asking "the Creator God to be steadfast on the truthful path"?  big_smile

1. profile image51

Yes, I do pray; one should not waver away from the truthful path

6. Kyle Payne profile image61
    Kyle Payneposted 12 years ago

I can live without it, but I would not be happy.

7. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

GoldenBird - I am done with the Religion and Philosophy forum for awhile. I have more fruitful pursuits. Out of respect for you and your work, I will answer your question. I can only speak for myself. Faith and religion are not always synonymous. I cannot live without faith.

Yes, sometimes I have proven to be spiritually myopic, but Jehovah Gyra has proven to be patient with me. God bless you. You are a world class talent.

Yes, they are and yes, you can. smile

8. melpor profile image88
    melporposted 12 years ago

Of course you can live your life without religion. There are many people who are doing just that.  Religion is just the thought or some form of hope people carry in their mind believing that there is something after this life once we die if you want to generalize it. One day we will find out when the time come.

9. yolanda yvette profile image61
    yolanda yvetteposted 12 years ago

Of course a person can live their life without religion.  God gives us all freewill, right?  And since He does why is it necessary for some people to oppose the right of each individual to choose their own way.  Non-believers seem to spend an awful lot of time accusing believers of trying to convert them, yet fail to see that they're doing the same thing trying to convince us to disbelieve.  Interesting.

Interesting? How dishonest is that?

There wouldn't be accusations if believers weren't commanded to evangelize their religion and didn't put that into action.

Non-believers are simply pointing out they don't want to be evangelized and can find out information on Jesus any time they want. They wouldn't have anything to do with convincing anyone of anything if it were not for the evangelizing of your religion.

Try to be honest when you post such things. Interesting, indeed.

1. lizzieBoo profile image59
        lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How are you going to cope when you realise that other people are being completely honest?

The moment they actually are completely honest, and not before.

10. Bill Yovino profile image87
    Bill Yovinoposted 12 years ago

Religion exists because humans are aware that they will ultimately die, and need to create something to distract them from that eventuality.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, fear of hell

11. profile image51

Can't you simply live your life without a religion

Truthful religion is very useful; so why live without it?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I live in a bible belt town, you mean switch to Muslim, then I would be really living lonely as hell.

12. BettyPetite profile image61
    BettyPetiteposted 12 years ago

Religion is a wide-spread accepted belief in a culture. There're many religions correspond to different cultures. So, living without a specific religion, sure. But I think, a belief system is necessary to establish at least some orders and gatherings, and traditions for a culture. This however shouldn't be so strict though. And I think many people find hope in religion. Bottom line, yes, living without religion (as so defined as these organized religions nowaday) but in a broader sense of a belief system, no, the society as a whole or a culture always needs a belief system (ex: one god/des, multi god/dess, universe, karma, etc...)

1. Bill Yovino profile image87
      Bill Yovinoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Religion is a wide-spread, accepted delusion.

Well, self delusion maybe.  But I think delusion is too strong.  It's a comforting belief that never gets examined closely.  I think most people are smart enough to know that their beliefs are confused and contradictory, but they don't care.  They don't want to look too close.

And really, that's ok.  No harm, no foul.

Call religion a delusion if you must. But, the ones with faith is experiencing a confirmation continually in the natural world, seeing many signs of things predicted. So, it appears that delusions has the possibility of becoming reality!

No confirmations except those that could come from self hypnosis.

No, confirmation received by born again Christians springs from their experiences and the way things are presently; it can be a sudden revelation with pure clearity, a new reality for all time. This is far from "fooling one's self".

History repeats itself, for we tend to live in the past. Then it appears as if something said is now becoming a reality. I can always guess the outcome and sometimes I will be right, this does not mean that it is divinely inspired. What is divine is the fact that there is now that we can exist in. Now is God, for now is a miracle as long as I am part of it. I woke up breathing and now that I am still alive is a miracle. The fact that this universe exists is a miracle and there is no way we can fully understand it, only be with it.

Living in the "now" could mostlikely have success for a small band of people, but once the group grows into the millions a more general belief sysem is needed. If the belief system is not expanded, than the energies of all persons interacting become like a pot of water on the fire which heats up, and if not allowed to expand explodes.

Religion is a stablizer, a cohesiveness, and a vent for a continuing peaceful society.

If it were the way you said it was, the second a person questioned it, the water would explode and the individual thinker would be cast out or killed. That is what happened in the past and it spans almost all religious belief. Religion is dangerous and it can lead to dangerous behavior.

13. profile image51

Life won't be simple without the truthful religion

Really?  I havent noticed any problem with my life.

1. profile image51

Because it has been kept in safe limits by the Creator God; so everbody takes it for granted.

Oh, so I dont have to believe in nonsense for it to protect me?

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Perhaps, some prefer a more complicated life rather than being simple.

14. Cassie Smith profile image60
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

People do every day.

15. Bill Yovino profile image87
    Bill Yovinoposted 12 years ago

Religious people don't have a monopoly on morality. In fact, history shows that some of the least moral, least humane people who have walked this earth were very religious. Religion = discrimination, alienation, and persecution. Just say no.

16. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 12 years ago

I can live a life without a religion, but a religion cannot live without a life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)