Are you an "open water" or a harbor person?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 11 years ago

Are you an "open water" or a harbor person?

I am so glad we moved from MN to CA because I get to see the Pacific Ocean so often.  I think growing up in Milwaukee near Lake Michigan made me love being around a big body of water. However, I've noticed I gravitate to the harbors instead of more rugged shorelines. I love the elegant sailboats docked there, the pelicans and seagulls, the smell of the water, the shops and restaurants and activity. Others gravitate to the rougher coast line.  I'm wondering if there's a certain kind of person who is drawn to one or the other.  What draws you and how does that correspond to your personality?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7881266_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Kevina Oyatedorposted 11 years ago

I am more of a harbor person. I also like seeing the shops and restaurants to visit.

Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Again, this is very good.  I'm fascinated with the concept and want to research the correlation between love of the harbor and personality.  I want to write an essay like my "Sequin People",  where I make broad generalizations, but maybe a point too.

3. kashmir-ladakh profile image59
    kashmir-ladakhposted 11 years ago

I am a water person. I like oceans, lakes, rivers. I would like to be in ocean instead of eating in beach restaurant or shopping on the stalls.

"I'd rather be "IN THE OCEAN". Wonderful.  Can you tell me about your personality related to that?  Your answers is one of the few that shows a definite preference.  I'm fascinated.

4. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 11 years ago

Beach life is super but the more you spend there you tend to lose your interest.  keep visiting all kinds of water platforms like sea, like, pond etc.  If you engage in beach itself all the time it will make you bored.

Thank you, "Suni." You echo so many of these comments that talk about the love of both.  I love the suggestion to "visti all kinds of water platforms".  I was going to do a "harbor" tour of America when we can retire, but I'm rethinking that now.

5. CZCZCZ profile image88
    CZCZCZposted 11 years ago

I love both.  I live next to the Pacific ocean as well.  I absolutely love taking long walks on beaches or hiking down rugged trails to look out at the ocean, but also love being in a harbor too and see all the boats and activity.  As someone that fishes getting out to sea also gives you a look back at the shore that is a true joy and a perspective that is different than most see on their daily activities onshore.  For me, being around the water is what matters most, I love them both.

1. BlossomSB profile image79
      BlossomSBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's true for me. I love the water and the way the world is seen from a different perspective when we are out in a boat. Both bay and ocean can be dangerous in storms, but they still have beauty in that situation.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image84

I'm so glad I asked this.  These comments are bringing tears to my eyes.   For me, too, being around water is what matters most to me. Can make any observations abt. your love of the ocean and the your personality?

6. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

i am afraid of water. I can't swim, so i will be the harbor person. Just keep it safe off shore.

Peach, even though I can swim, I've never REALLY have done it in the ocean. I'm going to give it whirl though. The harbor is my draw too. (My mother took swimming lessons at 35 and was so proud of herself. 'll never forget going with her to the "Y")

7. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Hmm.  This is an interesting question (for me, anyway).   It it's water I like it.  I do like lakes, ponds, etc.  They're pretty.  Still, I'm definitely an ocean person.   smile  How that corresponds to my own personality, I'm not sure. 

What draws me to preferring the ocean is that it's connected, rather than an isolated little body of water.  The ocean is stable in its "ocean-way", but, of course, it's incredibly active and powerful (also in its own, "ocean-way"   smile  ).   Ocean air is clean and fresh.  The tide and waves change, but they're also constant and faithful.  The Atlantic Ocean (where I live) tends to be gray a lot of the times, so it often looks stormy and powerful and amazingly crisp and clean.  The ocean always gets the best view of sunrises and sunsets.   The ocean where I live can look blue or green at times, of course, but those aren't the times that come to my mind when I think of the ocean (probably because it's gray more often than anything else, as far as I can tell ).

The ocean, to me, is limitless and free.  It meets the sky in a way that dry land (other than mountains) does/can (but mountains don't move while the ocean never stops moving).  Always moving and changing, always connected, always free, sometimes stormy, always strong and powerful, gaining sparkles from morning and afternoon sun, and always having the best view of sunrises and sunsets...     These things are what the ocean are to me; and I suppose, they're either things that I like about what I hope I am sometimes, or else things I hope I am and/or at least one day I can be and always stay).

For all its roar and crashing waves, and for all the quieter splishes and splashes closest to shore, the ocean is, in its own way, silent and strong and stable.  Some people feel that the ocean calls them.  For me, the ocean is more something that doesn't call me.  It's just always there for me to visit;  both silent and booming - where the water sparkles dance to the song of seagulls, the wordless whisper of the breezes, and sometimes the roaring storm.

Absolutely Beautiful.  This should become a poem!  It encompasses so many feelings that people are expressing here.   "These things are...either things that I like about or what I hope I am or...can be."  Lovely, lovely, lovely !

2. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Billie, thank you.  How kind of you.  smile  One of the things (just one) I like about answering questions is getting ideas to think about that I wouldn't have otherwise thought about - and that can result in my feeling happier after having done so.  smile

3. Billie Kelpin profile image84

Lisa, I know what you mean.  I'm becoming a bit addicted to this answer page and feel a sense of community suddenly that I didn't before smile Have a lovely Sunday.

8. Mihaela-2012 profile image65
    Mihaela-2012posted 11 years ago

I think I am more a water person. I like oceans, lakes, rivers...water in general. The shore is always necessary, to keep in mind that you have to come back, but I love the oceans. It is a forever love.

Mihaela - Ahhh... "a forever love..."  I LOVE that phrase.  So you have an ecclectic interest in all aspects of the water.  Does that reflect who you are.  Maybe all writers are water people ? Thank you so much for your comments.

9. rontlog profile image82
    rontlogposted 11 years ago

I live in the UK and last summer moved to a small town called Portishead, which is being regenerated. It is situated near Bristol on the estuary of the river Severn. There is a new marina, which I love walking around, with new bars and shops opening. Many new flats have been built there, with balconies overlooking the marina and the boats. The view is very pretty, but a bit static. I bought a flat around the corner from the marina - the view is more wild and dramatic. I overlook a nature reserve, then the estuary and across to the hills of South Wales. I love it, it is always changing. On sunny days, the river is blue and all the little sailing boats come out to play, but yesterdays view was more dramatic. I watched a thunderstorm travel up the estuary, complete with hailstones and rainbows, it was beautiful. I also get to see the cargo ships sail up the estuary to the docks . Many of them come from the Far East and there is a website where you can look up where they come from and what they are carrying - fascinating. I am in awe that these boats have travelled half way around the world, probably encountering rough seas on their way and are sailing past my window.
    As a child in the 1970's, with my parents we emigrated to Australia and sailed there - it took 6 weeks. I loved being out on the open seas, scary but exhilarating. I have been on ferries and love them and this summer I am going on a weeks cruise. I love the fact that the pace of life slows down on a boat. You can also pay to be a passenger on merchant ships and travel around the world. It is very basic, and many people do it for solitude, to write a book etc, and I love that idea too. Harbours are pretty and safe, but for me being out on the open water is an adventure and exhilarating.

I am absolutely astounded by these comments!  Your comments are extremely touching. I love the description of where you live - the view of the marina and yet the view of the "wild and dramatic" changing waters. Does this relate to your personality?

10. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7884076_f260.jpg

I believe at least to this "son of a son of a sailor" I would prefer both, that would be both harbour and open water. That is, I see them interconnected significantly. My grandfather and great grandfather were sea captains who sailed the Atlantic Ocean from Harbourville, Nova Scotia (aptly named) to harbours south in the United States and beyond.
    The reason why they were located in Harbourville was significant. Not only is it a wonderful protective harbour for their schooners but perhaps more significantly because of the colossal tide (50 foot rise and fall) the bay of Fundy acted like a conveyor belt moving their schooners in and out of the "Fundy" into the open water of the North Atlantic, negating any doldrums effect. When I am in "open water" I can imagine one of my great grandather's schooners, perhaps the Misty Mourn sailing beside me coaching me on to safe-harbour...

LOVE it!  Beautiful!  What a wonderful legacy they left you.  Fascinating experiences.  I think all ocean people must be poets!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)