New Profile Design Live on Staff Pages

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 98 discussions (327 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey, beautiful Hubbers!

We've just rolled out the new Profile design on staff pages so you can see it in action. The full details of the change are outlined on our blog, but the gist is this:

*We've added some new features, including background templates, the option to upload a custom background, and the ability to feature your favorite Hubs in a carousel.
    *The new design is on Staff Profiles now, but soon you will have the ability to apply the new design (by choice) to your own Profile.

Here's a look at my profile with the new design:
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6876764_f248.jpg

We hope you like the update!

1. the clean life profile image71
      the clean lifeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This new option sound great to me. I can't wait till all of us can use it. It will make our hubs looks better  and to be able to pick our own back round will be great.

Thanks HubPages Staff

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
        schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

oh oh what to pick? smile

1. kittythedreamer profile image75
          kittythedreamerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

AWESOME IDEA. Love it!

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

cool smile

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

I love how it shows who your following, and who follow you; that always interests me and the fan mail too.

nice

4. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Simone!
      I keep seeing the word 'soon'-I'd like to know when!  Also, where on the site will we have the option to utilize this new look? 
      I love it, btw, and can't wait much longer, my breath-holding is getting painful! smile

1. jeolmoz2 profile image55
        jeolmoz2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

exactly sentiments

5. Bendo13 profile image78
      Bendo13posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm using IE9 and it looks like once the featured hubs flash through once and it starts the slideshow over it will flash the info and then fade to just a white box.... seems like a little bug that blanks out the info.

6. Ladybird33 profile image65
      Ladybird33posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful idea!  Thank you!

7. MarleneB profile image91
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The new profile page is about the coolest thing HubPages has done since my short time here (just over a year). I am so excited I can hardly wait for "soon". I want it now!!! Thanks for all of your hard work on putting this together. You hit the target right in the center with this one.

8. MarleneB profile image91
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Uh, does anyone know when this is all going to roll out? I keep seeing the word "soon". I'm just curious/anxious. What is considered soon? Is it a week, a month, a year?

9. SincerelyT profile image61
      SincerelyTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ OP
      The ability to choose your background is GREAT for branding purposes.
      I personally love the slideshow most.

Overall, I like the look wink

10. molometer profile image79
      molometerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The new design looks brilliant. Well done to whoever thunk it up. It looks wonderful, and now hopefully Google will stop losing our hubs, because they are all there, right on the profile page.  Kudos team. You did a bang up job.
      Now all I have to do is get a profile score of  100, and all will be perfect. in the hubiverse.  lol
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6950276_f248.jpg

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Also like profile page. I know it is better without the white space on our profile. I hope it comes out soon. Eventually will everyone have the new one after a trial. ? Kudos to staff

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But, brakel2, have you noticed that all the hyperlinks on your current profile (to your other sites) will no longer work, and that the "search content by..." link has been removed...?

1. molometer profile image79
            molometerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Surely they must put something where we can link externally? Has anyone asked this important question?

1. ktrapp profile image92
              ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I asked way back on page 1 of this forum and MickiS responded that you can include text links but they won't be clickable. However, in the upper right of the new profile it looks like you will be able to include links/icons for other places for people to follow you (i.e. Twitter, Google+, Pinterest).

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
                Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

....but that's only for social media, not for your own websites or blogs.

2. profile image0
    Declan Whitingposted 11 years ago

I'm excited for it.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

This explains that earlier 23 minute "interlude"... lol

I'm off to check it out. big_smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image61

You guys outdid yourselves! It is a truly professional layout. It is great! A sincere congratulations to all.

5. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

kudos!

-featured hub slider
    -social media share tools

Dislikes:
    -background imaging option.

Recommendation: (MickiS if you are reading) set the header bar to top:0px; position:fixed, so it is always shows the logo and navigation on scroll down. Also, in the tabs for latest, best, hot, can a commentary tab be added to show user interaction regarding comments on related hubs?

big_smile
    James

That's a great idea to have the header in a fixed position.

2. MickiS profile image74
      MickiSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm reading, James. Thanks! I'll pass that on to Derek.

1. jacharless profile image74
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh no, they're on to me....

Love the ideas...except I really like the background image option!

1. jacharless profile image74

Well, fine, be that way then. tongue big_smile

6. paradigmsearch profile image61

My profile background image is ready to upload when you are! big_smile

I, for one, intend to always have my background image and my avatar the same color. Call it branding, style, whatever... big_smile

7. ktrapp profile image92
    ktrappposted 11 years ago

You guys have outdone yourselves with the new profile page. I think it looks great.

Love:
    - The featured hub slideshow and having the ability to pick which Hubs we want to include in it
    - The section that lists all of our Hubs and Answers
    - Being able to select our own unique background

Not sure about:
    - Displaying our last activity front and center
    - Similar Hubbers (I looked through profiles and Hubs and just can't see how they're similar)

Questions:
    - Can you tell us what criteria are looked at to determine similarity among Hubbers?
    - Will we be able to include any text links in our written profiles?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6877153.png

1. MickiS profile image74

You're welcome a million, ktrapp.

The last activity is a timestamp based on the last entry in your Hubtivity which is already on your current profile (and buried on a separate section in this new profile). So, we're not revealing anything new.

Similar Hubbers: We look for Hubbers that publish in similar topics and that you have followers in common.

Text Links in your written profiles: Yes, you can include text links, they just won't be clickable.

Thanks for the answers.

2. kittythedreamer profile image75

You know what would be really cool? If we could put "featured" other hubbers on our own profile page instead of having the "similar to" hubbers picked by the site. Similar to how Youtube does it.

Meaning...giving us the ability to pick our own featured hubbers.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
            Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. jacharless profile image74

Berry, berry interesting. Selecting featured Hubbers based on similar categories/publications, by their unmistakable good looks and/or coolness -or both...

3. Bendo13 profile image78

Why would you disable the ability to have a clickable link to the pages of our choice?

I like the new look but that's kind of ridiculous to take a step back like that.... Here's a link to my site... oh, you can't click it... you need to copy and paste it?

1. janderson99 profile image54
          janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It stops the captive audience leaving easily - only internal links are live.

2. Haunty profile image73
          Hauntyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can still link. Only not within the bio text.

8. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

The new profile looks great.  It is just overwhelming for me right now, so thank you for giving us the choice if we wanted to use the new design or stay with the present style profile layout.

At first glance, the carousel looks attractive, but it only shows one hub at a time.  Whereas, the present design shows several hubs on the different categories we write about and the viewers can easily scan them.

Right now, our profile page is the only page that is solely our own stuff.  I don't like other hubbers (no offense to my fellow hubbers) appearing on my profile page.  Readers go to our profile page to read about the author.  I don't see the relevance of advertising other hubbers on my profile page.  You are already doing this on all our hub pages.  Just saying. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm not liking the new design. 

So, thank you once again for giving us the choice to use the design or stay with the present one.

Understandable about it being overwhelming. A lot has changed, for sure.

The Hubs that are in the carousel are also listed in the My Content Area lower on the page. The carousel just gives you the opportunity to really showcase your best work (which many Hubbers do today by listing their "Featured Hubs" in their bio). We're just productized a behavior that many do already.

The Similar Users are there to encourage readers to find more authors to follow. It will also be a way that new followers discover you.

You won't have a choice for long. This current release to Staff Profiles is a preview that eventually will be the site wide standard.

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
        Rosie2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply, MickiS.  I must have misunderstood what you wrote above..

"*The new design is on Staff Profiles now, but soon you will have the ability to apply the new design (by choice) to your own Profile. "

Wow!  The "by choice" really threw me off there.

I see your point that "Similar Users" might "be a way that new followers discover you."  But for crying out loud, the profile page is the only page left that is about the author and his/her writings alone right now.  You are taking that away from us. 

From the comments below, it seems that the "similar users" feature of the new profile design is a touchy issue.

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes exactly, and I would like to know why.

2. Bendo13 profile image78

I think that you should be able to individually choose your featured hubs OR select it to automatically use either your best, hot or latest hubs.  That way, if we'd rather not have to switch it all the time, it can show some of the best or newest hubs.

And I was right, once the slideshow cycles through the featured hubs once it starts showing a blank white box as it fades in the content... need to fix that.

9. Purple Perl profile image49
    Purple Perlposted 11 years ago

Excellent!

10. PegCole17 profile image93
    PegCole17posted 11 years ago

I like it! A lot! Really. Looks like it will be easier for new readers to find our hubs. Bravo.

1. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I liked it a lot better when I thought it was optional.
      hmm

11. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I like it, and I like the background option.  I love the carousel and the list of hubs.  It's organized and easy to follow. The page has somewhat of a Twitter feel in layout.   I'm excited to see it live on our profiles.  Micki, I noticed on your profile that a similar hubber is no longer active and has 0 hubs!  I'm sure none of us want an inactive hubber on our profile page.  yikes

I think it looks polished and fresh! Thanks!

rebehahelle, I think you may have found a bug. By chance, do you remember the username of the user? If so, you can send it to me in a private email (the link to email a user is at the top of the FanMail page on the new profile).

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just sent you the email with the name, but when I clicked send, it gave a message about thanks for .... submitting fan mail to rebekahelle...  I used the send MickiS email link on your fan mail page.  Let me know if you didn't receive it.

I agree that the email link may be seen more easily underneath the social buttons.

12. AlanRimmer profile image64
    AlanRimmerposted 11 years ago

Looks great, logical layout, easier on the eye, bang up to date.
    NIce one, I like it!
    Look forward to it going live for all.

13. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

I like the layout very much, with but one concern - I'm not real happy with the publish dates being shown on the list of hubs.  I would just as soon that that date remain confidential.

wilderness, the last updated date is already displayed on the Hubs themselves, and users can figure out publish date of Hubs by looking at your Hubtivity.

What is the concern about displaying the publish date? From our studies and research, it's quite important to readers.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wherever the publish date is displayed, the last update date should also be displayed. That way, readers won't be scared off because of thinking that the hub is obsolete.

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's one thing to have the updated date in small letters at the bottom of the hub; it's quite another to give the publish date to searchers looking through my profile for something to read.  Yes, people can figure out a publish date, by going through years of hubtivity, with thousands of posts, but few are going to do that.

I fear that too many readers will simply skip over anything published years ago, particularly if they see only the publish date and not any update date.

14. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 11 years ago

The new layout is awesome! Thanks a ton to the HubPages Team for making this happen. You Guys rock!!!  However,  I dislike is the 'similar hubbers' option on the profile page. I do not want anyone else on the 'spotlight' on my profile page. I hope we get an option to hide that. Also I dislike announcing to the world when I was where, so no last activity please. Apart from social networking buttons, I would love to have a link to my Blog too.

Agreed.

Also, I'd rather see the "email author" link at the top along with the social network links than buried in the fanmail info.

2. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't like the "similar hub" on my hub either. I work hard enough to get my work noticed, why should I have to showcase someone else's hubs on my pages. And since I write Metaphysical topics, often the "similiar" article has very little about my topic. If my hub is about astrology, I don't want to showcase women who are Wiccan. That's sort of Metaphysical, but Wiccan is a religion, and HP would not put that Wiccan religious piece with a hub about Christianity.

15. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

It looks nice, but where's the "Search Content by [insert hubber's name]" box?

We removed that feature. You can filter the list of 'My Content' by Topic using the 'Show >' drop down on the top right of the content list.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, but it doesn't do what the search box did - allow people to search for particular hubs by a particular author by keyword.

Call me paranoid, but it seems deliberate policy on your part (by "your" I mean HubPages not you personally) to de-emphasise the fact that we are individual writers who just happen to share revenue on your site. When the individual hub layouts were redesigned, you shrunk our avatars right down and got rid of the "Read more hubs by this author" link. Now you've got rid of the "search content by this author" box in the profile too. All of these add up to a consistent policy of minimising our individual "brand".

Why? What other changes are coming down the pipeline, I wonder?

And about the "similar hubbers" thing: if I have to have links to other hubbers on my profile page, I want to be able to control whom I link to.

I happen to be a big fan of John D Lee, because he knows what he's talking about when it comes to food. If I want a steak recipe that I know will work, I'll go to his profile and type "steak" into the "Search Content by John D Lee" box. I'll get every hub of his that has anything to do with steak.

However, in the new system, my only option on his profile is to search under "Food and Cooking". Well, for Pete's sake, nearly ALL of John D Lee's hubs are on food and cooking. What a nightmare.

On the plus side, if I enter "john d lee steak" into the HP search at the top of each page, I will get a list of John's hubs about steak. How intuitive is that? Not.

16. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

It looks great to me. I will have to go and take a really good look at it again, but yes its brilliant, or as we say in England, Well cool!

Cheers, mate!

17. Alternative Prime profile image58
    Alternative Primeposted 11 years ago

Dear MickiS & Staff,

The experimental profile page should be a "Voluntary Option" for members who wish to participate and assume the inherent risk of conversion -

If staff feels it's such a fantastic, progressive upgrade, let those amongst us, those members who are infectiously enthralled and captivated with such mesmerizing quasi psychosis, gleefully switch over, and allow the balance of us whom might be somewhat less than thrilled with participating in such high risk ventures simply opt out and continue using the current, dreadfully grotesque layout -

The "Doctrine of Association by Voluntary Participation" must be honored and offered to those of us whom are not exuberantly joyous with the prospect of having a direct connection to other transient, deliriously unserious, or cartoonishly casual members via the "Similar Hubbers" portal who unfortunately might not be the most competent writers, skillful photographers, nor earth shattering artists - No member should be forced to place his / her reputation in jeopardy by involuntary direct association with individuals who should be spending more time pursuing their true calling elsewhere verses awaiting a miraculous "Talent Intervention" here at HP - An immaculate anointment or spiritualistic possession which will probably never materialize -

Nothing else is cohesively consistent here on HP, why force everyone into conformity against their will with respect to the only page we truly possess upon which we attempt to articulate a thorough, complete introduction and Bio containing specific, detailed qualifications and or authoritative attributes? - Unique expressions geared toward drawing distinctions between each of us while at the same time educating a global audience of knowledge seekers -

The truth is, there is nobody in existence here on HubPages or elsewhere who is "Similar" to yours truly - I'm highly confident others feel the same way and if he / she does not share the same sentiment, it's probably a reliable indicator that he / she is a casual "Junk Producer" -

What happens when a members core of growing loyal readers venture into a "Similar Hubbers" sub-D via a "Profile Page Recommendation" and thereafter, said visitors encounter a plethora of polished junk to read and look at? Not such a great reflection on the "Referrer" now is it?

I warned HP way back that the forums would go into a frenzy over the Similar Hubbers attribute. So hopefully they stuck an on/off switch in there for that. big_smile

1. Alternative Prime profile image58
        Alternative Primeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No frenzy here, just a common sense observation and statement of fact -

My overriding point - There should be an "On/Off Switch" for the entire experimental page -

I'm confident certain writers will find it a little less than amusing when they start losing visitors due to direct referrals via "Similar Hubbers" which lead to sub-par or even atrociously horrendous articles - It's an irrefutable, inevitable result -

No frenzy meant. I just meant that there will be a lot of people agreeing with you.  big_smile

2. MickiS profile image74

Our current plan is after we preview this to Staff pages, we will allow users to opt-in to have it as their profile while we continue testing.

So, there's no big, wake-up-one-morning-and-suddenly-you-have-the-new-profile.

And I assume after the "Testing" / "Experimentation" stage is complete, the conversion will then be "Mandatory" for all members?

At some point in the future, members will evidently wake up one morning and have no choice but to conform with the experimental "Profile Page"? Correct or incorrect MickiS?

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good question, I like my current profile page.

1. Thelma Alberts profile image91
            Thelma Albertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me, too.

1. nanderson500 profile image81
              nanderson500posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, I like the current profile page much better.

18. paradigmsearch profile image61

Alas! I am no longer "Similar to Simone Smith". I was #3 on her profile page yesterday. Now I am gone! I have become nothing but a distance memory, but I know it will be one that she will cherish always. big_smile

Bottom line, looks like "Similar Hubbers" is switched around a lot. So if someone shows up on mine that I'm not thrilled about, I won't get too excited. I know they will be gone shortly. smile

19. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

If it's important for traffic / marketing reasons to have the Similar Authors then OK, but why not call them Other Authors You Might Like?

I can't express how much I object to being 'similar' and the feeling from those who are lumped in with me, or have me appear on their own profiles.. might be the same.

I'm trying to think of a reading place like a Bookshop or Library where they group Similar authors.  "Oh you like Orwell then you'll love Potter".

I think on the new pages you say "Other Pages People are Reading" so "OTHER" would seem to be a reasonable word to use.

Apart from that gripe, I like the layout and the chance to have your own Hub of the Day style carousel.

Shall I find a picture?

Oh alright then, if you insist.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6879590_f248.jpg

I can't wait to see your background pic. big_smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hah... me neither.  Except I don't see how it works because you'll only see the edges?  Ah well, fun ahead.

When you scroll down, more of the background shows as you get past "similar to Mark Ewbie." So if you line your drawing up right, there could suddenly be a stick figure that appears doing only you know what.

Excellent! So someone pointing to the "similar" authors making a suitable hand gesture... hmmm.

Hahahahaha lol lol lol
              I can't wait to see who you're similar to!

Aahh - that could turn out to be a dangerous spot for anyone inclined to create their own art work!

2. ktrapp profile image92

That seems like a good suggestion. I just don't think because someone has some followers in common or has written on the same topic that they are "similar."

Nobody's similar to ME. lol (Nor to you.)

2. Peggy W profile image95
        Peggy Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point as to calling them "similar."  Other hubs you might enjoy reading would be a better choice of words if featuring others is necessary.

At first glance I really like the overall design with our getting to feature hubs that we like and use backgrounds of our own choosing.  I do wish there was a way to search for hubs by title such as we have now.  I use that feature quite often when looking for hubs other writers have written.

The HP staff has certainly been busy!!!

20. Made profile image60
    Madeposted 11 years ago

HubPages just gets better and better. I can't wait for this!

21. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

It seems two disclaimers will be necessary on the new profile:

1) Statement pointing out that the day of publication does not equate to the day hubs were last updated
    2) Statement that the profile holder has no control over the displayed selection of "similar" authors and thus takes no responsibility for the quality or accuracy of their content.

With the lack of proper links on the profile, rather than providing much detail on my profile, I will probably have minimal details plus a citation of a single web page hosted elsewhere, with an invitation to the reader to copy and paste this into their browser if they wish to find out more about me and my Web presence.

Well said.

About the text to take a reader to another web presence, and telling the reader to copy and paste the address into his own browser...well, that doesn't make for a professional online appearance for you or me or HP.

However, I did read in prior threads/blogs that "accommodation" for "one" outside link would be made on the profile page. I haven't seen that accommodation yet in the staff samples.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is an extremely clumsy measure, but what else can we do? Readers will obviously expect a link to be active, so it will be necessary to spell out to them that Hubpages disabled that option and therefore they have to copy and paste.

Unless HP has another plan, that's what they'll have to live with. One point up for user unfriendliness.

2. Alternative Prime profile image58

In my opinion, your disclaimer suggestion is an absolute essential which should be applied to all Profile Pages in an effort to avoid any future legal or ethical issues which may arise from a direct connection to "Similar Hubbers" -

I really don't think many of the other members in this forum, or even staff understand the potential consequences of their actions or inactions and I really don't have time to conduct an in depth webinar to educate on the subject -

Just a quick tip pro bono, - When you host a site such as HP, which is based primarily on "Monetary Consideration", the operators of said site have an obligation to exercise prudence and adhere to a higher set of standards and ethics - The natural flow of monies cannot be artificially manipulated, moreover, all aspects of operation must be fully disclosed and not concealed under any circumstances -

22. Mark Ewbie profile image81

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6880273_f248.jpg

Pictures are worth the thousand words.

1. Peggy W profile image95

So true!  Good work Mark!  smile

2. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

23. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Wwwwweelllll, now.  As a person and a writer, I do consider myself special, and I don't know who you're going to match me up with when it comes to this new layout!  The poor writers that are "similar" and matched to me could be traumatized as well as insulted.

+1 ... I think that's the thing to use when I agree. They might be POd that I show up in their list.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61

I can't wait to see the poor victims that show up on mine. lol

24. profile image0

Whatever happens, I'll roll with it.  Sooooooooooooo, I APOLOGIZE in advance for any Hub author who is hooked up to me.  As writers, we are all different as well as special.  We all have different backgrounds, and there is no way I could possible be hooked up to someone who can do anything tech, SEO, keywords, etc.   But at the same time, I don't want to be "seen" with the "NAGGING, SNOTTY BEEATCH"  who screwed  with me during a recent Forum over the weekend.  Yuck, yuck, yuck.  Just kidding!  JK!  JK!  When you group writers together this way, it's like a two women showing up at a social event, wearing the same dress.  Now, you know, if I was in that situation, the other woman would be naked in the parking lot, and I would be smoooooozing inside.  You can't bunch up writers as being similar.  But, if that's your call, MikiS, I'll roll with it.  That's all I can do.

So well said!

But I'm not rolling with it. "Other Hubbers you might like" (as others have suggested) might be a way to put it, but not "similar".

1. Millionaire Tips profile image93
        Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When HubPages initially suggested a new profile, many of us already complained about the "Similar" wording.  If I remember correctly, the "other authors you may like" was too long.  I think we may be able to suggest something else.  How about "HubPages suggests" or "See also" or "Others" or something else that doesn't imply that I am not unique or that I had any say-so in this list of recommendations.

I would prefer not to have to share the profile page with others.  I would like to think that when someone bothers to find the tiny link on my hub to look at my profile, he wants to get to know me better.  It's like having others intruding on my first date.  On my profile, they are my competition, and not teammates.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
          DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well put!

1. Peggy W profile image95

+1

Just curious - Why is a comment like this is allowed to stand when most of us here are simply trying to engage in a serious conversation pertaining to the subject at hand by using the only venue available to express concerns?

25. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

I like most of it, the background looks great, I like the carousel, and that we can choose which hubs to feature. All of the stuff at the top and along the right side look really nice.

The only part I don't like, is how the hubs and Q&A and forum stuff are all mixed up together. I think it might be confusing for non-hubbers who come to your profile page. I think the hubs should be more prominent than the rest. I don't like the way they look either, the pictures are way too small in relation to the text.

I don't mean to complain, I just think is needs maybe a little tweaking.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this suggestion. When I go to a hubber's page, I'm usually looking for their hubs.

26. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I really think the new look is attractive, nice and vibrant, and polished-looking.  I do sort of agree with Mark E's, Sally's Trove's idea about "Other Writers You May Like"   It seems to me that something like "similar" might have the risk of suggesting more of a "promise" to readers, only to have them click on and think, "Hey, this person isn't my idea of 'similar'".  It seems to me that something like "others you may like" suggests less of a "promise" to readers.  (How about, "Others You May Possibly Like- But Keep In Mind That We Don't Promise Anything."  big_smile)

27. profile image0

Lisa HW, I agree with you.  I only have a year in on this site, and I really can't say that I have your time here and expertise.  As with Sally's Trove, Rosie2010, paradigmsearch, etc.  I cannot see myself matched with someone who has just started, either.

28. Scribenet profile image60
    Scribenetposted 11 years ago

The new profile page looks fantastic. There will be a period of adjustment as we take this all in and learn to work with it, however, in the end the new look has to attract more viewers and we all like that!

29. ktrapp profile image92
    ktrappposted 11 years ago

Micki S. - Just so you are aware ... It is almost impossible to click the links in the footer (like "blog") on a Hubber's profile who has a lot of published Hubs. Each time you scroll to the bottom, the footer is visible for a second but then is pushed back down as more Hubs load. It's only available after all the published Hubs have loaded. If you try to scroll down to the footer on Simone's profile you can see what I mean.

30. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 11 years ago

Will take some getting used to, but it's definitely a big improvement. Loving the fact that now I can see people's questions and forum threads as well. Less so the new floaty feel.

The small space for the bio looks neat. I wonder how many of us really read those long-winded profile pages. For someone like me who is so average he can barely manage a sentence about himself, this is ideal. smile

Randomly browse profile pages and you will immediately discover the primary reason behind the apparent attempt to "Hide" rather than expend the additional time and energy to "Clean Up" by enforcing a minimum "Grammar & Spelling Standards" - Nobody is perfect however, let's be realistic in our approach and expectations -

If the majority of members had the ability to draft reasonably coherent, quasi captivating "Bios" within respective profile pages, I would assume there would be a concerted effort to provide even more additional space for everyone to E X P A N D upon an already lengthy entry, not reduce and or limit expressions as is the current proposal within the experimental page -

Evidently, you are not concerned with authoritative position or credentials attained by any given individual writer as most of the outside universe is -

Reading an article pertaining to specific medical treatment, or how to identify symptoms of a certain ailment which was written by a plumber is apparently acceptable to you - Disclosure of experience and knowledge is critical to long term success and maintaining a legal , ethical presence - Where else but within a profile page can this information be displayed for public consumption? -

P.S. - From a visitors perspective, an individual arriving for an exclusive, unique "Experience", there is nothing more trivial or irrelevant than your recent participation in a forum, yet real estate dedication within the experimental profile page to promote this activity has been magnified several fold verses the pathetically miniscule space allotted for critically important aspects such as, YOUR "BIO" for instance -

1. Haunty profile image73

I'm not sure many people outside Hubbers really view profile pages. My guess is the average person visiting a Hub via an SE looking for info will not click on the author's name to view his or her profile. If they do, they will want quick, concise information about the author as opposed to the long, time-consuming, and often pointless profiles.

I've thought about the mingling of Forum entries and Hubs and came to the conclusion that this must be really annoying for Hubbers who like to browse other people's Hubs to read and comment but otherwise never visit the Forums. It's like taking the Forums to people that would otherwise avoid it. So I'm also on the side of what (I think) ktrapp suggested that the different types of content should be sorted and displayed under their own tabs.

31. profile image0

I used to do the long-winded profiles when I first started, but not anymore.  No one wants to read about your life story because there is just not enough time.  One sentence is good enough, and make it count!  Right now, I use up that extra space to list my favorite Hubs or the Hubs that interest my readers.

32. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Now I've had time to take a closer look at some of the profiles.  I'm not sure about having the forum activity mixed in with our hubs on the  'latest' feed.  For those of us who take more time between publishing hubs, but interact in the forums, more forum activity shows up.  I think that should stay in Hubtivity,  not on a default profile page where we may send someone to view our work (like a portfolio).   I'm not sure it's clear to a new viewer where a list of published hubs can be seen.  Maybe it could say, Show All Hubs, but only list hubs as an option?

As far as the similar to others feature, I think it would possibly receive more clicks from curious hubbers rather than search visitors.  I guess this would be part of the 'testing' - to see how users interact with the page?

1. Haunty profile image73

I think the 'latest' feed only shows Forum threads that the profile owner started and not all Forum activity. So it should only cause a problem for Hubbers that start a lot of threads between publishing Hubs.

2. ktrapp profile image92

Although I think the forums that show in the list are only forums you started (not that you contribute to), I would also like to see some separation between Hubs, Answers and Forums. Since we don't earn from Forums it actually seems sort of strange that it's in that list (to me anyway).

Ideally it would be nice if Latest, Hot and Best were replaced with Hubs, Answers, and Forums as the main choices and then Latest, Hot and Best could be sub-menus for each of the three main categories.

But overall, I really like this new layout, especially being able to highlight our own Hubs.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It looks like you and Haunty are correct, it's forum threads we start (which I don't start many).

Since it is a profile page for our sub-domain, I think it would be beneficial to have an option where it shows all hubs alone, along with the rest of the options listed in categories.

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.  The default tab for "My Content" should be replaced with "My Articles" and a separate tab for "My Discussions" might be a good one for the forum posts. What do others feel about that.

Note also that I suggested "My Articles" instead of calling it "My Hubs" - this is because we want to be clear to organic traffic visitors who may not know what a Hub is.

+1, I bolded it because I didn't want this one overlooked. smile

1. Glenn Stok profile image96

Thanks paradigm. Much appreciated.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image93

I like this idea as well, although personally I don't see a need to list any forum topics I create.

3. Peggy W profile image95

Reading this, it makes sense to keep the forum postings off of this profile page.  Most people use the forums to find out information or report glitches (as I generally do) or sometimes just rant.  Oh yes...I have read some of those!  Why does this need to be listed on the profile page?  Depending upon the forums in which one participates, IF outsiders go there out of curiosity...they might be afraid to join HubPages thinking that there are nothing but problems.  What does this have to do with hubs...or articles?

33. WriteAngled profile image74

Forum activity has nothing whatever to do with hubs and should not be so prominent.

I also want to to know if we can continue to hide accolades. I find the concept ridiculous and thus do not show mine.

Another thing I've decided I really dislike about the profile is the busy backgrounds, on top of which there is a constantly moving display of hubs.

I think both together makes the page look really tacky and amateur.

I hope there will be way round this by uploading a graphic, which consists of just a single block of colour.

I don't understand why this set format is being imposed whether we want it or not. Why not give the option of a hub-like profile, with capsules that we can choose to include or not at will. If you can do this with hubs, you cannot argue that it is impossible to do the same with profiles. Not all of us want the brash, in-your-face page that you are forcing on us.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To the best of my understanding people would be able to use their own background image, so someone who prefers a less "confusing" background could create a plain (maybe textured if he wanted) page - or whatever he likes.  I've "de-brashified" a bunch of pages elsewhere by doing that, and for the very reason you mention.

34. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

Now that I've read far into this post to know that these posts will not appear in my Hubtivity (oh please let that be true), I can feel free to post on my opinion on this change.

Overall, I like the look of the new profile page.

Pros
    Nice banner with Hubber information
    I especially like the "last activity" since you can see if the Hubber is around, although it might get me in trouble at work.
    Choice of hubs to feature
    There is space for a succinct description. I like that in Paul's profile, there is "more" you can click on so you aren't limited to that space.
    Getting to choose the background image - although it does take away the consistency you were insisting on with the hubs.  I hope you provide lots of calming consistent backgrounds, and let people provide their own busy ones if they want one.

Cons
    It is slow to load
    I don't like the rest of the hubs in a big long list.  I liked the column format that was there previously. It didn't seem so overwhelming, and seemed easier to choose something else to read.
    The Forums list on the content is distracting, when I only want to look at hubs.  Forums are for Hubbers, not for real readers, and it is where I go to "recess" not where I post serious content.  I don't want to advertise what I do when I am at rest.
    I want the link to contact me very easy to find on my profile page - like right beside my user name.
    I also want the ability for people to search my hubs for specific information.

The biggest thing that people haven't mentioned yet int his forum:
    All the hubs I have seen have the "sign up for HubPages using my referral tracker" on it.  You are losing lots of advertising by taking away our ability to put links on our profile page.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point on the last "con"-- can we still place a link in our bio info?

I asked about links earlier in this forum and Micki S. replied that we won't be able to put clickable links in our bios.

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
          Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I noticed on Paul's bio, he has a link in it to join hubpages, but the hyperlink isn't actually there. I was wondering myself if we'd be able to links in our bios. I get a lot of traffic to my blogs that way.

The new profile format does not allow hyperlinks in the text of the bio. Existing links need to be removed when converting over since they will become inactive. They should be placed in the new section where we can include links to our other profiles on other social networking sites such as Goolge+ and Twitter.

Presently there is a coding error with the links to other profiles that has to do with the authorship markup.  I reported this in the "report a problem" forum ...  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/100457

Rather than calculating what you perceive as the "Pros & Cons", which is merely an exercise in self gratification inevitably resulting in no action taken to satisfy your hard work and desires, here's a much better, more palatable solution which is guaranteed to please everyone -

Give all members the freedom to "Opt In" the experimental profile page - Let all others continue to enjoy the freedom of unrestricted text Bios available within the current layout -

Then, if you so choose to opt in, you can chop your Bio down to three words if you wish and pray visitors find your credentials appealing -

1. Millionaire Tips profile image93

I like listing the pros because there are parts of the change that I really do like.  And I like listing the cons because I do believe that HubPages listens to our input and makes adjustments based on that. 

All of us have the right to deal with announcements in our own way.  Some people like to kick and scream every time there is any type of change, but I like to keep the hope that I can help influence the changes to my liking, even if it is in some small way.

1. profile image0
          Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Millionaire Tips, you have every right  to express your opinion on this Forum.  Attempting to "edit" someone's opinion is simply rude and out of line.  But, you have those who will.

35. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

Fewer visits to people's profiles for me I reckon. Clarity has been replaced by swirling oceans of confusion.

Hubs, questions, forum stuff all jumbled together. A page that never stops loading. Floaty stuff, floating about.

Still, it will discourage the plagiarists. Finding the better pages will be harder work.

36. paradigmsearch profile image61

I just realized how big the new profile avatar is. You guys with head shots are going to have to break out the airbrush... big_smile

Just kidding... It only looks bigger because of the white background.

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A lot of writers would scare the birds out of the trees.

lol

37. profile image0

If Hub authors prefer not to show their accolades, what would you put in its place?  Or would this be white space?

I'd wager a tweet that the stuff below it just moves up.

38. profile image0

Thanks, Tweety!  Much appreciated.

1. Lord De Cross profile image69
      Lord De Crossposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone! This will make our profile more personalized. Great change!

39. profile image0

"My Articles" is an excellent idea.  Articles--not blogs.  And unless you are familiar with HubPages, you don't know what a Hub is.  I very seldom start Forum discussions, and others are masters at it.  "My Discussions" would not apply to me.  It's not important enough to stand out.  That credit should be given to anyone who begins a Forum topic (if, at all).

Yes. And the concern I have is that organic visitors will most likely not find anything of interest from our forum posts, which usually are more related to personal HubPages stuff.  Imagine a visitor seeing a bunch of posts such as this discussion thread here.  They will most certainly miss my list of hubs. Do others agree with that?

Absolutely agree.  I can't think of anything more boring and pointless than my forum posts.

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
        Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wholeheartedly agree. Organic traffic doesn't need to see our forum posts. We want them to visit our hubs, and not forum posts.

3. jacharless profile image74

Actually, I have found quite a few UV from search results of forum Posts.
        Content is content. If the links are being indexed, and our profiles attached to posts, it can only increase visibility. Visitors read the post, click the username for curiosity and voila, new readers.
        Forums are also a great way to increase rss subscribers. Lastly, since each user is set as a sub-domain, it could very well increase indexing, relevance and rank.
        Just a thought.

4. Peggy W profile image95

Agreed, Glenn.

1. gracenotes profile image89
          gracenotesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, agreed.   The forums seldom showcase anyone's particular abilities.  They're tiresome after a while.  If one wants information, it seems, increasingly, that the place to go is Questions and Answers.  The forums are a place to report technical problems, gripe, and post endlessly on politics and religion.

40. profile image0

I look to the Forums like a Facebook page.  It only relates to HubPages staff and Hub authors.  A visitor who is not familiar with this site will not be "helped" by a Forum topic because that's all about us and us alone.  I have 230 Hubs right now.  I would rather swap the "My Discussions" for a chance to list more of my Hubs.  My current profile page is only a small part of my 230.  Selected real estate, you might say, because I can't list them all.

Very well said. Your statement deserves to be in bold so it is not missed.

The new format will list all your hubs in the lower portion. It just keeps going and going as one scrolls down (On some browsers one needs to click "Load More"). The only problem is that right now it's intermixed with our forum posts too.

41. profile image0

Thank you for the suggestions and the info, Glenn.  The more and more I think about it, Forum posts don't represent us in our "best light."  The spotlight here should be on our writing, photography, videos, etc.  We don't earn income through Forum posts.  Those come and go.

42. profile image0

You and me both, Daughter of Maat!  I've had my share of "outbursts" on the Forum.  LOL!  It's Facebook all over again!

43. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 11 years ago

I hope the HubPages Team also consider the Google Authorship in Profile.

44. WriteAngled profile image74

Not every writer would wish their real persona to be so readily accessible to readers of their articles.

Basically, thrusting forums in readers' faces means a number of writers may well feel they can no longer be themselves on here, but will have to message in a manner consistent with their niche, or perhaps message only about their niche.

I can see the forums becoming deadly dull or else suddenly filled with the sock puppets of those who prefer no longer to involve their main ID in forum talk.

Well done HP for trying to kill off what little is left of a community!

I agree that forum speak should be relatively private, and it is nothing to do with the casual web visitor who is looking at your profile.

However, I am pretty much always aware there are people watching, and your web persona / forum persona is all part of the same marketing stuff.

Therefore, I do try not to get involved, and not to say anything that detracts from my carefully crafted... blah.. blah..

Seriously.  Stuff lasts a long time and pointless arguments are there for ever for people to see and make their judgement.

45. WriteAngled profile image74

I agree, Mark, but it would take a determined reader to search the Net for a Hubpages ID to get information on an author.

As it is with the new profile, this information in stuffed in readers' faces.

A would-be reader can casually click on a forum link, see the person in question states in a thread that they are crazy about football and as a result decide not to read anything written by this author because they themselves loathe football. This despite the fact that the writer might not even have any hubs about any sports whatsoever.

A trivial example, but that is how people's minds and prejudices work.

46. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Sorry, yes, should have stuck to the point.  I don't want Hubtivity or Forum tivity on there either.  It's boring, childish, self interested crap for the most part.

Your web visitor might, and it's a small might, want to read another article.  God forbid they go wandering through the swamp infested putrid depths of the forums.

No offence.

47. Alternative Prime profile image58
    Alternative Primeposted 11 years ago

Haunty,

That's fine and everyone including yourself is entitled to a random, unsubstantiated "Guess" and speculation -

The logical conclusion is the following - Some visitors will read a Bio to its conclusion despite the length and others will not - Hardly grounds for deletion - Pretty difficult to argue with that assessment and I'm sure you would agree this basic guidline applies to any venue containing readable text -

But you're suggesting, due to the inattentiveness or laziness of a few visitors and or members, a massive deletion or "Hiding" of critical Hubber information should take place in favor of a long winded list of random forums and or other totally irrelevant information - Which do you think is more important to be highlighted on a "Profile Page"? Information pertaining to who you are and a list of credentials to establish legitimacy, or a seemingly endless number of chat forum placements ad nauseam? - What is inherently wrong with your exclusive "Profile Page" which will soon consist  predominately of "Exits" from your work?  90% Forum entrances verses 3 visible sentences dedicated to describing who you are? -

First, the concerted effort in an attempt to diminish the significance of "Quality" by a few select individuals, now the attempted diminishment of a writers credentials in favor of promoting insignificant "Fluff"? -

So be it, HP can and apparently does operate within their own realm of perceived legalities and ethics, however, I also think it's incumbent upon members to point out potentially serious issues and flaws, which are obviously in abundance, in a sincere attempt to guide staff back toward the right direction -

1. Lisa HW profile image63

I'd agree that I, personally, would prefer to have stuff like forum posts and answers neatly set off in a corner somewhere.   I don't necessarily think it's correct, however, to assume that because we don't prefer something that we're in the position of having the knowledge,and understanding of what the site faces as business, to "guide staff back toward the right direction".

The site may have its direction that it wants/needs to take, and "identity" it wants to build, in order to do well these days, and those aims may be very different from what any, one, contributor has in mind for himself.  I'm not saying that Hubbers (who are "in the trenches") don't have solid feedback to offer.  They do, and many times those running the site have responded to that feedback.  The people running the site are in their own "trenches", though,  and I just think it's making a big jump to assume it's we who are in a position to "guide them back in the right direction".

What's "right direction" for my aims/preferences may not necessarily be the same "right direction" for the aims of the site.  I figure, it's up to me to decide what, if anything, I want to do if I don't like something and/or if there some way I can/want to work within/around whatever doesn't happen to be my preference as a writer.

Personally (and again), I think mixing all that stuff into one big mess is a horrible-looking thing that I, personally, would see as reason to click away from the whole page (not onto one of the zillions of miscellaneous little things).  The "miscellaneous-pile-of-little-crap" look is exactly that the thing that makes me not bother with anything on the Internet (like blogs) that isn't .org or .edu or shopping  BUT, that's apparently "just me" in lots of ways.  Look at Twitter and Pinterest.  What do I know about what people online want....

Overall, I love the new look and the fact that we'll be able to create the "mood"/"image" we want with background images.  Nothing's ever going to make everyone happy, and there are usually ways we can work with things in a way that minimizes what we think is "the unappealing stuff".

Actually, there is one way to achieve a 100% harmonious and satisfactory outcome for all - From experience advising various corporate entities -

Instead of arguing and wasting invaluable time in a futile attempt to try to convince the next person why your idea is superior while his / hers is subordinate in importance, why not make all members happy by giving everyone what they desire and need to truly progress? -

Maintain the current Profile Page as is, then incorporate the new experimental changes as optional elements within the "Edit Profile" screen and let individuals select which features they choose to apply - Thereby, a unique, customized page is achieved for each unique member - Pretty elementary and simple I would say -

Why does HP always make things like this so complicated and difficult? - "Change", despite what you may hear espoused within the "Corporate Circles" which always encourages a "Shaking Up" is rarely productive and typically results in detrimental consequences for the whole - Everyone within the financial industry understands the fact that "Excessive Change" is usually a precise indicator of a troubled company -

One thing I've learned over the past 2 years as part time publisher via this platform is the fact that HP Staff is comprised of moderately exuberant, highly money motivated, yet very green, inexperienced individuals who seem to be somewhat lacking in the ability to understand this simple aspect - We are all different members of one or two human species and each of us requires unique components to achieve success - They are also very naive with respect to ethics and legal aspects of operating a clean site devoid of the perception or even reality of infractions - "Ignorantia Juris Non excusat" - "Ignorantia Ethica Non Excusat" - Look it up -

And now, I will leave you to struggle mightily in your valiant attempts to try to figure out the most effective ways to dissuade, persuade, and benignly coerce each other into submissive conformity -

Can I use this in the religion and political forums!?! lol smile

According to my understanding of the current "Rules & Regs" the comment you're referring to is now the property of HP, so I would assume consent from the current owners for use elsewhere would suffice -

Some individuals are amused rather easily despite the seriousness of the moment, but rather than exhibiting a big smiley face to express an uncontrollable emotion, you might want to exercise your digits and save this entry as "Distinguished Words of Prophecy" to admire - Not per say in a spiritual way, but as wisdom precursor to when a certain site is approached in the future by agents who patrol the web in search of an excuse to shut down inappropriate entities for displaying highly visible misleading, deceptive advertising which seems to appear within domain premises -
            Example of possible infractions, without mentioning any specifics - "Success Stories " page -

Unless of course you can manage to convince staff to quickly amend inaccurate claims which no longer apply according to comments posted by featured members, by updating circumstances to current status - Just a suggestion -

All publishers who have launched a substantial number of articles via this domain by manipulating the incorporated user friendly platform, has a vested interest in a strong, vibrant HP, so alerting staff of this potential issue might be a much wiser use of invaluable time as opposed to wallowing endlessly in a religious or political chat room which is primarily comprised of self anointed, self appointed preachers of the gospel according to none -

I see that you are serious. And are addressing serious concerns. So much so, that I suggest you contact HP privately; and really spell things out for them in the kind of detail that one can't do here. If nothing else, it will at least accomplish poking whatever their legal department is with a stick

1. Will Apse profile image87
                Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good heavens, the profile page isn't that bad. I don't like it much personally (I hate feed type stuff generally) but it is not going to damage my traffic or income so I don't care too deeply.

If they stopped loading everything onto the one page and gave the option of a plain background it would suit me well enough.

If the decision was mine exclusively, permission would thereby be granted -

48. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Do all these extra areas of profile page have to do with visitors clicking to other parts of Hp with the end result of making more money.? What else could be reason for making it so busy looking?  Everything has a reason, I believe.

49. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Lisa, well said. Staff has it's reasons. It is a business.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The business depends on the authors, who provide the content. If the business continues to treat its authors with such contempt, many authors will simply walk away.

This is not a magazine with wage-slaves scribbling away, who depend on HP as an employer to provide them with salary, pensions and perks.

When someone writes for hire, whether as a wage-slave or for up-front payment, they sign away their rights on how their content will be presented and used.

Authors publishing on HP are not selling their articles or their labour to the web site. They are publishing on a partnership basis, gambling that they may make some money, and HP takes a good cut of those earnings.

Unfortunately, they are not receiving the courtesy and consideration due to partners in a joint enterprise.

It is clear from this thread that a number of authors are extremely unhappy with the crass profile scheme that is being imposed arbitrarily on everyone. 

We have not heard a single word from the site designers of rationale/justification for the ghastly mess that is being proposed.

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with your comments.
        Cheers,
        The old profile is fine - allow authors to retain the old version.
        Simone - I love your distorted image = pulling faces !!

2. Lisa HW profile image63

WA, I agree with what you've said about the writers and the partnership (etc.), and nobody would question that if writers decide a site is not right for them, and therefore leave, that's not "ideal" for business (although I think this particular business will never have trouble replacing people who leave with others who product equal quality to those who took their writing/presentation seriously enough).

I think (don't question) that the treatment of, and respect for, writers is a major factor on any writing site.  What I wonder, though, is whether the percentage of writers who see their content as "their business" (and not just a matter of using their content within the context of someone else's business) is a large enough percentage to give enough weight to their/our preferences/approach for the site to accommodate them.

I guess I don't take it personally that they may not always do things on here that I'd prefer because while I see the partnership between HP and me as a two-part thing; from their end of things, they're looking at thousands of individual partnerships as well as their own, overall, business aims (which, when it comes down to it) may benefit us (or not, depending on our own aims).

Basically, there's only so much accommodating me that I expect from a site like this.   I'm not defending stuff that I don't think much of on here, but the other side to what I earn for the site is that the site has earned me thousands of dollars I wouldn't have earned with as little work/effort as I've put in on here.  I don't want to come across as if I absolutely don't care about any of it, because I do; but there's a point where I just think, "Let them do whatever.  I do hope they'll decide not to mix in the stuff the way it now appears it will be.  I'll either live with what they do or else do the next thing if I feel the need.  On a site like this, it's unlikely things are ever going to be all that perfect anyway.  There are other ways I can present myself and/or my writing (for good or ill) beyond just the context of this particular site (and particularly the profile attached to the stuff I have on this site).  In other words, if I don't like something.... "whatever".   lol   I know that may just be me and don't expect others to feel as "relaxed" about it as I do, and I do respect the less relaxed thinking of so many others.   smile  It's just that I don't think this site, by itself, will make or break my writing career and/or image.

50. profile image0

HubPages is not the same site that I joined last June.  It has deteriorated, and continues to deteriorate.  Simple rule of management:  Don't ever keep your people in the dark because they can dance away at anytime.  In this case, I don't see many experienced Hubbers putting their work out there like they used to.  You don't drag people through a lot of changes over such a short period of time and expect them to like it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)